Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Russell has probably been getting advice from his mate Zebo, on how to have a long and successful test career.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Russell has probably been getting advice from his mate Zebo, on how to have a long and successful test career.
    Funnily enough, Russell has been named at 10 for Racing's match away to Castres this weekend. Zebo isn't in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Funnily enough, Russell has been named at 10 for Racing's match away to Castres this weekend. Zebo isn't in the 23.

Zebo's out injured, was in a moon boot for the Munster game. Probably why he has so much spare time on his hands posting shíte tweets in an attempt to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Zebo's out injured, was in a moon boot for the Munster game. Probably why he has so much spare time on his hands posting shíte tweets in an attempt to be funny.

The only thing worse that posting ****e tweets is taking notice of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Alex Dombrandt was excellent for Harlequins against Saracens. Was the dominant forward on the pitch. Thought he would be in the English squad especially since Vunipolas injury means there's no established no 8 in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He’s another in the long line of in form players Jones ignored for whatever reason. Goode and Armand before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I didn't realise Darcy Graham is out for Scotland's first few games. He's their most in form outside back right now. Couple that with Russell's departure and Scotland is right up against it now.

In our recent fixtures against Scotland we've munched them up front, but there was always the danger that their talented backs could break our defence. Those two guys missing significantly reduces that danger.

We're 13 point favourites at the moment, I'd expect that to shoot up once the teams are named to be honest. I can't see that Scottish side posing any threat at all given the circumstances and the way they've gone at club level this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Doesn't feel like the six nations is starting next weekend

Not a lot of buzz compared to other years

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

PTH2009 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement

It's the world cup hangover, combined with the salary cap scandal. Apart from the Champions Cup, there normally isn't much for the press to write about other than the Six Nations squads and predictions this time of year, but most of the media outlets and social media posts have just been flooded by talk about the salary cap and Saracens futures the last couple of weeks. Even the Irish media have been all over it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

Felt the same after the last world cup too...
    The Sarries situation has interrupted the run-in as well, I feel like there's been less time for build up, as attention has been on that. Even the Russell story would ordinarily have been massive news. There's been a lot to talk about other than the usual squad and gamelan speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anybody know the Fathers and Sons who have both got a cap for Ireland?

& Frank O’Driscoll doesn’t count!

Keith and Gordon Wood
    Luke and Des Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Foley's would be on that list anyway

Crazy to think our head coach is a former England Rugby league player

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Keith and Gordon Wood
    Luke and Des Fitzgerald

Did Ger Earls ever get an Ireland cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

no

Keith and Gordon Wood
    Luke and Des Fitzgerald

According to Wikipedia:

Samuel Irwin and Sinclair Irwin
    Noel Murphy senior, his son Noel Murphy junior and then Kenny Murphy who was junior's son

I think it's one of the most fascinating seasons of rugby in years.

Six nations will have a very different feel this year with all the new players and coaches. Can't wait personally, one of the best tournaments in the world.

I might have been wrong about Ireland winning the World Cup, but I'm *certain* we're going to win the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ireland team to be announced tomorrow apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think it's one of the most fascinating seasons of rugby in years.

Six nations will have a very different feel this year with all the new players and coaches. Can't wait personally, one of the best tournaments in the world.

I might have been wrong about Ireland winning the World Cup, but I'm *certain* we're going to win the six nations.

It’s a very funny year we could just as easily win the tournament as lose three games. So many unknowns going into the tournament. England on paper are the most stable. Yet there’s no telling how much of the Saracens issues will bleed into their squads. Now they’re missing Billy V too which is a huge blow for them. Wales could be brilliant or brutal while Pivac beds in. France, well their France. Scotland will be poor and Italy may improve but not enough to worry us I don’t think. 3-4 weeks ago I would have fancied England for the Slam, a ball hasn’t been passed yet and that’s changed dramatically. Should be a very interesting tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If Shaun Edwards has any influence on France at at all, they can win this.

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s a very funny year we could just as easily win the tournament as lose three games. So many unknowns going into the tournament. England on paper are the most stable. Yet there’s no telling how much of the Saracens issues will bleed into their squads. Now they’re missing Billy V too which is a huge blow for them. Wales could be brilliant or brutal while Pivac beds in. France, well their France. Scotland will be poor and Italy may improve but not enough to worry us I don’t think. 3-4 weeks ago I would have fancied England for the Slam, a ball hasn’t been passed yet and that’s changed dramatically. Should be a very interesting tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hands up if you thought Vakatawa was born in Fiji? (my hand is up btw)

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hands up if you thought Vakatawa was born in Fiji? (my hand is up btw)

Was he not? Loads of articles and ultimate rugby refer to him as Fijian-born, it's only his Wikipedia that says New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Was he not? Loads of articles and ultimate rugby refer to him as Fijian-born, it's only his Wikipedia that says New Zealand

The racing 92 website lists his birthplace as Rangiora New Zealand
    Virimi Vakatawa was born on May 1, 1992 in Rangiora on the South Island of New Zealand. He moved very young to Fiji, a country of which he was a national, and settled in the village of Naluwai in the province of Naitaisiri.

Bazzo wrote: »
    The racing 92 website lists his birthplace as Rangiora New Zealand

That's mad, always heard him referred to as Fijian and just assumed he was born there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Rangiora is sort of NZ's answer to Tullamore, so I can understand why he left as a toddler, despite NZRU talent scouts seeing him chasing ducks at the local pond and offering him an AB contract. Ah well, not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

That's mad, always heard him referred to as Fijian and just assumed he was born there.

Well if he is of Fijian heritage and moved there at a young age is not the equivalent of Jamie Heaslip been born Israel or Luke McGrath been born in Canada? Everybody still calls them Irish, as saying they were Israeli and Canadian really wouldn’t make sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

KevinK wrote: »
    Well if he is of Fijian heritage and moved there at a young age is not the equivalent of Jamie Heaslip been born Israel or Luke McGrath been born in Canada? Everybody still calls them Irish, as saying they were Israeli and Canadian really wouldn’t make sense..

Pretty much.

Or the equivalent of Jermoe Kaino or Joe Rokocoko playing for NZ. Yet loads of people accuse NZ poaching islanders and reference them...

• Advertisement

Highly recommend the Squidge preview on France
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMovbEAl3IE

The amount of young talent they have in their squad is frightening.

But in the words of Brennan Jnr - I'm absolutely bloody delighted

Advertisement