Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I see that Happy Death Day is up on Netflix, is it worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Maniac starring Elijah Wood is well worth a watch.
    And not really a horror I suppose, but an Aussie film from 10 or 15 years ago, starring the Irish actress Ruth Bradley, she is really good in it, and the weird thing is this film actually has 2 different names!! ‘In her Skin’ is one of the names, can’t remember its other name. It’s very good, it has one of the most well done death scenes I ever seen in film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I really enjoyed it but then again I have a soft spot for those (black) comedy slasher flicks like that, The Final Girls, The Babysitter, etc...

This years main seasonal movies for me will be the first rewatch of Mandy and Halloween (2018). The later will replace my annual viewing of the original as its one of my fave films in the genre whereas the former is just ****ing excellent. The nightmarish imagery and intense colour, the fantastic soundtrack and Nic Cage swinging from his most docile to utterly unhinged...I'm actually really looking forward to it now that I think about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Will keepe an eye out for Happy Death day ^

Couple more...

Red Dragon
    – 7/10

I’d put off watching this for years cos of the lukewarm reviews and how wrong I was. This was a thoroughly enjoyable crime thriller with great actors putting in solid shifts. At times it overcooks certain elements and can cross over and become slightly flamboyant. Dr Lecter has lost a bit of his menace but none of his twisted charm. The running time flew by and there are some nice nods to the original. Ed Norton seems to pick his roles well and he is superb here.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – 10/10

An 83-minute-long soundscape from hell. A true horror masterpiece. It was banned for decades because the censors realised that no matter what they cut out of the movie, it didn’t stop it from being a terrifying, nightmare experience. The grainy, documentary style footage adds to the realism and even though I know it’s just a film, I can’t help but think that this is very close to what could happen in real life. I fail to think of anything that comes close to being this morbid yet engrossing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AaronMan

I haven't thought yet of the potential list of horror movies for this Halloween.

Just recently I watched "Red Dragon" again on amazon prime - I quite enjoyed it, but that's a very good serial killer thriller, so not really a Halloween horror movie.

Regarding "Happy Death Day", I don't expect it to be very good, but I am very interested into it and I can't resist watching it, when I get a chance.

I have a soft spot for zombie movies and I would highly recommend South Korean movie "Train to Busan" (watched it on amazon prime). And now, thanks to El Duda, I am very keen to see "One Cut of the Dead" (7.7 on imdb.com, by 8023 users).

• Advertisement

I like to vary up my Halloween horror selection. Stuff like Red Dragon offers a nice change from the usual.

Train to Busan is also excellent but One Cut of the Dead is special.

On my watch list this year;

You're Next
    Magic (Doll film starring Sir Anthony Hopkins)
    Tigers Are Not Afraid
    Tenebrae
    House of 1000 Corpses
    Salems Lot (the running time keeps putting me off)
    Pet Sematry (original on 4K)
    Hannibal

Along with rewatches of;

Day of the Dead
    Halloween 2018
    Wishmaster
    Blue Ruin (not horror but very violent)

El Duda wrote: »
    Will keepe an eye out for Happy Death day ^

Couple more...

Red Dragon
    – 7/10

I’d put off watching this for years cos of the lukewarm reviews and how wrong I was. This was a thoroughly enjoyable crime thriller with great actors putting in solid shifts. At times it overcooks certain elements and can cross over and become slightly flamboyant. Dr Lecter has lost a bit of his menace but none of his twisted charm. The running time flew by and there are some nice nods to the original. Ed Norton seems to pick his roles well and he is superb here.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – 10/10

An 83-minute-long soundscape from hell. A true horror masterpiece. It was banned for decades because the censors realised that no matter what they cut out of the movie, it didn’t stop it from being a terrifying, nightmare experience. The grainy, documentary style footage adds to the realism and even though I know it’s just a film, I can’t help but think that this is very close to what could happen in real life. I fail to think of anything that comes close to being this morbid yet engrossing at the same time.

I think the Texas Chainsaw Masaccre is the best horror film ever made, with The Exorcist a close 2nd. It’s a truly original masterpiece.

Agree ^

Top 3 of all time has to be (in no order)

TCM
    Exorcist
    The Shining

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I thought "the Purge" films were quite watchable especially the sequels. Mark Grillo is always watchable and it is a somewhat interesting idea. The Prequel is horrific though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A few recommendations from me:

- Autopsy of Jane Doe (will give you nightmares about small little bells)

- House of the Devil (actually saw this on Horror channel one time and was very surprised at how good it was)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/house_of_the_devil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Absolutely. I loved it myself, but like Gizmo I’d be a fan of those movies.

If you like it, check out Happy Death Day 2U. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Some lesser known recommendations for the month that's in it:
    Hell House LLC - A found footage horror about a crew setting up a Halloween haunt in an abandoned hotel. Spooky and some very effective scares.
    Trick 'r Treat - Fun anthology film with a perfect Halloween setting and beautiful sets, a modern classic that still doesn't seem to be that well known outside genre fans.
    The Innkeepers - Classic ghost story with a great cast and an interesting ending
    The Changeling - One of the best and scariest haunted house films, don't see this mentioned a lot
    Willow Creek - Another good and suspenseful found footage film
    Housebound - Fun kiwi horror comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Thing - one of the best films ever made.
    Martyrs - a gruelling experience. At the extreme end.
    The Fly - some of Cronenbergs best work.

Space Dog wrote: »
    Some lesser known recommendations for the month that's in it:
    Hell House LLC - A found footage horror about a crew setting up a Halloween haunt in an abandoned hotel. Spooky and some very effective scares.
    Trick 'r Treat - Fun anthology film with a perfect Halloween setting and beautiful sets, a modern classic that still doesn't seem to be that well known outside genre fans.
    The Innkeepers - Classic ghost story with a great cast and an interesting ending
    The Changeling - One of the best and scariest haunted house films, don't see this mentioned a lot
    Willow Creek - Another good and suspenseful found footage film
    Housebound - Fun kiwi horror comedy

Great picks. The only one of those that I haven't seen (and loved) is Willow Creek so looking forward to that now :)

House of the Devil is excellent. Good recommendation. Going to give it another watch.

I thought The Ritual (on Netflix) was very good.

I thought The Ritual (on Netflix) was very good.

Agreed

Sinister is also essential. The intro totally took me by surprise, Ethan Hawke is superb too.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sinister is also essential. The intro totally took me by surprise, Ethan Hawke is superb too.

I thought that was a really great horror from recent 5/10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I prefer Ghost stories, so in my list I would have:

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    The Others (2001)
    Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)
    Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
    The Orphanage (2007)

I remember when I was young staying up late and watching a film called ‘Hell Night’ in itv. I thought it was brilliant and I was too scared to go to bed when it finished. That must be at least 30 years ago. The strange thing is, I’ve never seen it on tv schedules for past many years as have always wanted to watch it back as an adult. Also not on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I remember when I was young staying up late and watching a film called ‘Hell Night’ in itv. I thought it was brilliant and I was too scared to go to bed when it finished. That must be at least 30 years ago. The strange thing is, I’ve never seen it on tv schedules for past many years as have always wanted to watch it back as an adult. Also not on Netflix.

Happy Hell Night ? Early 90's slasher with a creepy bald guy as the Killer ?

On Amazon Prime. 88 Films released it on Bluray a while back.

jh79 wrote: »
    Happy Hell Night ? Early 90's slasher with a creepy bald guy as the Killer ?

On Amazon Prime. 88 Films released it on Bluray a while back.

No it’s ‘Hell Night’, starring Linda Blair. It’s about a group of college students who go to spend the night in an old gothic mansion that has a tragic past. It’s scared the crap out of me as a child.

If anyone somehow hasn’t seen Sleepy Hollow I strongly recommend it. Fantastic piece of story-telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Picked up a bunch of horror movies for this year, some I’ve watched before and others I haven’t seen:

-Suspiria
    -Midsummer
    -Rosemarys Baby
    -Trick ‘r’ Treat
    -Killer Klowns From Outer Space
    -Terrifier
    -Banana Splits Movie: Tra La La Terror

otnomart wrote: »
    I prefer Ghost stories, so in my list I would have:

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    The Others (2001)
    Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)
    Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
    The Orphanage (2007)

Not a movie per se, but The Haunting of Hill House was one of the creepiest ghost stories I've seen in recent years if you haven't seen it yet.

For me, The Woman in Black is a great ghost flick. Turn off the lights and turn up the volume to hear the rocking chair in your nightmares. ;)

The 1989 mini series is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Been big into horror myself lately, basically all I've been watching.

Right now, watching 'Hellraiser' (been reading and enjoying Clive Barker a lot). 'Candyman' also based on one of his short stories as was 'Midnight Meat Train' (story WAY better than the adaptation).

Fantastic films from the last few years 'Hereditary' and 'Midsommar' by Ari Aster, 'Suspiria' remake.

Rewatched 'The Exorcist' the other night and it's an astounding movie, proper heavyweight for any genre!

Can't go wrong with 'Evil Dead 2' and 'Army of Darkness' for a bit of craic, thought 'Child's Play' remake was a bit of fun with some killer (pardon the pun) lines.

TV wise, I can't recommend 'Channel Zero' enough and the Netflix version of 'The Haunting Of Hill House' is very good.

I'm sure I'll think of lots more.

Just finished Midsommar tonight. Pretty long but yeah it's a good flick. Love the drug-induced special fx on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

If anyone is looking for a good vampire comedy, I'd recommend "What We Do In The Shadows". The film inspired a TV series of the same name which is almost as good in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I thought 'Hereditary' was the best horror film I've seen in 20 years. And unfortunately, 'Midsommar' was a huge let down. Other favourites of mine are John Carpenter's 'In The Mouth Of Madness', the remake of 'House On Haunted Hill', "Event Horizon', 'Sinister' and of course 'The Exorcist' and 'The Shining'

• Advertisement

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark looks very good. I’ve not managed to see it yet, but hopefully will get to around Halloween. If there’s a good version of it going around! Not sure the DVD will be released in time.

Advertisement