Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ship report of 59 knot westerly winds at 37N 66W which is between post-tropical Zeta and the developing tail end low.

The GFS perturbations give some more intense solutions for Saturday night into Sunday morning, but not a big spread, implying moderately high confidence in the solution as presented.

However, I have to wonder if the intensity of the upper flow dynamics will merge the two storms so that the mid-day frontal passage becomes a sort of occlusion of the fast-approaching remnant low of Zeta, then a two-part windstorm ensues with peaks at mid-day Saturday and just after midnight (0300h Nov 1st).

Something to watch in future model runs. Full moon is Saturday (around 15z) so tidal surges may need to be considered for Galway Bay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ME may upgrade warnings later this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Significant looking rainfall for the southeast tonight/tomorrow morning, and then wet and wild around lunchtime tomorrow in the west, a day for the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Significant looking rainfall for the southeast tonight/tomorrow morning, and then wet and wild around lunchtime tomorrow in the west, a day for the fire.

Every day is a day for the fire at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yesterday was so mild the fire was not needed here; but today is a diferent matter with clearer skies and no cloud blanket. Decidedly parky out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looks like we should get a few hours respite with the heavy wind and rain around 5pm-9pm just in time for Wexford V Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Saturday morning strong southerly winds veering southwesterly associated with Storm Aiden will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h, with severe and damaging gusts of 100 to 130km/h.

Valid: 05:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 10:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

Issued: 10:00 Friday 30/10/2020

———————————————————————-

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare

On Saturday morning and afternoon strong southwest to west winds associated with Storm Aiden will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h, with severe and damaging gusts of 100 to 130km/h.

Valid: 08:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

Issued: 10:00 Friday 30/10/2020

851881-B9-A402-4296-B536-E030399-FFC9-D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Calm and clear in Limerick at the moment.

A great day

The calm before the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

851881-B9-A402-4296-B536-E030399-FFC9-D.jpg

I still can't get over how the weather sticks to county borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Kamili wrote: »

The coastal counties will see the highest winds which is usually what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The coastal counties will see the highest winds which is usually what happens.

Not Disputing that at all, just how once you hit a county border the weather seems to reduce in severity in some cases.

Anyway off topic so I will keep schtum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyway off topic so I will keep schtum.

Mod Note: Thanks! :)

There is a special thread for that: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057918791

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭compsys

Ya think?

Things have been OK - in Dublin at least.

Hasn't felt too wet and it's been sunny enough. It's late October after all...

Storm Aidan on All Hallow's Eve... . All Hallows Eve. then All Hallows Day ie All Saints Day, , then All Souls Day. An auspicious weekend for storms.

It is so quiet now .

All lies ahead. Good to have such clear warnings; thank you!

West Mayo ; offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ECM 06Z and ICON 06Z

ECM bringing stronger winds on this run along Southern coasts, think there could be very strong winds running across into the midlands in the afternoon. Just my thoughts but thinking very strong winds could whip in there for a time around 11.00 or 12.00 for a couple of hours or so. Will keep an eye to see if the charts develop it more.

AbZHw2G.gif

PR8U6Bp.gif

anim_xgg0.gif

JtoMKMe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭endainoz

That third pic shows it coming right across North Clare in the Midlands, looks like it might be a wild one! Will try to get a video of Doolin Pier tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO showing a very tight gradient along Southern counties. Very generalized map with not much detail but showing the strongest winds of all the models atm.

QpYCXl9.gif

Qc7RE7x.png

H3Lc2KE.png

OoLTSHt.png

tJCOAFR.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Graces7 wrote: »
    Storm Aidan on All Hallow's Eve... . All Hallows Eve. then All Hallows Day ie All Saints Day, , then All Souls Day. An auspicious weekend for storms.

It is so quiet now .

All lies ahead. Good to have such clear warnings; thank you!

West Mayo ; offshore

Did you get your supplies, Graces ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport forecasting gusts up to 55 knots between 5am and 7am
    BECMG 3105/3107 21035G55KT 9999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

compsys wrote: »
    Ya think?

Things have been OK - in Dublin at least.

Hasn't felt too wet and it's been sunny enough. It's late October after all...

Dublin never gets it as bad as anywhere else :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Update: During Friday night and Saturday strong southerly winds veering westerly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with severe and possibly damaging gusts to around 100km/h.
    Some coastal flooding possible also due to the combination of low pressure, high tides and onshore winds.

Valid: 02:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

Issued: 11:00 Thursday 29/10/2020

Updated: 13:04 Friday 30/10/2020

Fast moving, rapidly falling pressure . That's a drop of about 30 hPa in 24 hrs

XoBjdW6.gif

p5oMuDt.gif

dPPwwEG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a beautiful Autumn day before the storm.
    The storm is probably a good thing - it will distract the kids from the fact they cant trick-or-treat.
    It will distract the rest of us from non-stop Covid.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yeah why is veering around County Limerick? Is it lower lying or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Didn't we already have storm Aiden? What was the A-storm we had back a month or two ago?

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm having a senior moment. It was Alex.

These charts start at 18Z yesterday and go up to Monday.

giphy.gif

In times gone by, an Orange warning storm thread would be absolutely hopping. People would even be asking whether there was any chance of a Red so they could skive off work.

Covid has ruined everything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Sorry to be pedantic folks , its spelt Aidan also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strangely enough i haven't lit the fire since last March, such a beautiful calm day today.

kravmaga wrote: »

Nope

(PS. I hope we get to Saidhbhín just so we can hear the BBC trying to pronounce it...)

2020-21_graphics_wheel_V2.png

• Advertisement

The UKMO have the low 7 hPa lower at 12Z tomorrow in their 12Z forecast today compared to their 00Z forecast (967 versus 974 hPa). The centre is about 2 degrees (120 NM) further to the north-northwest, however, so the gradient across the country looks slightly slacker as a result.

Forecast issued at 12Z today.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020103012_024.png

Forecast issued at 00Z today.
    ukmo_nat_fax_2020103000_036.png

Cork Airport forecast gusts up to 57 knots between 5am and 7am

BECMG 3105/3107 21033G57KT 9999

Gerianam wrote: »
    Did you get your supplies, Graces ?

OH yes indeed For some reason the coal did not arrive but the cat food did.. ALl ready and safe here we are!

" Cry HAVOC and let loose the dogs of war!"

Looking at the new map; it is quite formidable.... ; :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Didn't we already have storm Aiden? What was the A-storm we had back a month or two ago?

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm having a senior moment. It was Alex.

Quick question why are we back to A?

kravmaga wrote: »

As I spelt it on my post! Whoever made up the storm names got it wrong ...AIDAN

je551e wrote: »

Alex was named by Méteo France, which uses a different list, along with AEMET of Spain, IPMA of Portugal and IRM of Belgium.

capture-1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭secman

je551e wrote: »

Think Alex was named by Portuguese met .....or France or both definitely a European one.
    This new list is Uk Ireland one

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

How are the charts looking this evening? (Upgrades or downgrades) I thought it would be very active in here by now. The sense in the locality seems to be that there's a good storm coming. We spent the evening clearing everything away from around the house and garden.

The emphasis for the strongest winds has moved very much to the W and NW. Both main models have tracked further N on the latest runs . Will this trend of tracking further N continue ? ECM has a tighter gradient near the W / NW and showing stronger winds. Close to red warning there for a time going by the ECM unless it drifts a bit further away from the coasts ?

kqj4YAt.gif

NJcCIQf.gif

KSC1peR.gif

g0UTFoS.gif

C4Wd4t6.png

XIjUAnI.png

J3tdlWW.png

• Advertisement

Of the other models ICON has been the most consistent, ARPEGE getting there and GFS stronger now as well but not developing the stronger section in the W. NW tomorrow afternoon.

anim_iin5.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-26-0_yhd2.png

anim_wso8.gif

arpegeuk-52-29-0_mwa5.png

anim_kdt8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

We usually bring mother up to ours or to one of my sisters but she is saying that she is sick of being shunted out of her home every time a bit of wind is forecast and staying put. She would have to come to mine as she is in our social bubble with the covid. I dont blame her. The nonsense with these warnings every time a gale comes in. The country is in enough of a mess and older people stressed out enough without orange warnings. Yes it will be windy and im sure it will blow a good gale but let's review the warning systems and increase rhe warning level thresholds. Bit of a rant but I'm annoyed.

Away from south ,west,nw coasts not to bad i would think at this stage.

Max gusts been forecasted at airports up until 11am
    Dublin :47 knots between 7am - 9am
    Shannon:45 knots betwern 5am-10am
    Knock 48 knots between 7am-9am
    Cork :57 knots between 5am -7am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    As I spelt it on my post! Whoever made up the storm names got it wrong ...AIDAN

They didn't 'get it wrong'?? They chose the "Aiden' version of the name. Either spelling is correct.
    Absolutely lovely day here in West Limerick, got a lot of outside work done today in case Aiden decides to come this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

fineso.mom wrote: »
    They didn't 'get it wrong'?? They chose the "Aiden' version of the name. Either spelling is correct.
    Absolutely lovely day here in West Limerick, got a lot of outside work done today in case Aiden decides to come this way.

I thought they named it after Dr Aidan Nulty

Bit of a spread even at this stage with the winds predicted for overnight Sat into Sun and during Sun.

ECM keeping the strongest winds away from the coasts, blustery overland.

GFS develops a proper depression bringing it close to the W / NW and brings the Sunday wave further N over Ireland bringing the winds more over the Southern half of the country

ARPEGE quite windy early Sun morning , not developing the wave as much on Sunday

ICON windy enough along the coastal fringes early Sunday morning, blustery overland and not developing the wave on Sun apart from skimming along the SE coasts.

We will see.

l3PjbOA.gif

anim_bxq1.gif

anim_opm2.gif

anim_iys4.gif

anim_jcc6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

NE like Drogheda and Dundalk seem to always be off the radar for these events.

Maybe they are in shade of something or other, but often noticed this fact.

Lateas Met Eireann forecast

30 October 2020 20:04

Tonight
    Dry at first tonight, but becoming wet and very windy overnight, with heavy rain developing, accompanied by strengthening south to southeast winds. Winds increasing strong to gale force later, with some severe and damaging gusts occurring towards dawn, especially in parts of Munster and south Leinster. Cool early in the night, with lowest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees, but much milder later with temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees.

Tomorrow
    Tomorrow, Saturday will be extremely windy for a time in many areas, as storm Aiden tracks to the northwest of the country. Very strong and gusty southerly winds will veer westerly with some severe and damaging gusts, especially in Atlantic coastal counties, with weather warnings in operation. Very high seas around coasts with a risk of coastal flooding. Bright spells developing tomorrow, with squally showers, some of them heavy and prolonged, mainly in the northwest. Becoming mostly dry by evening, with winds moderating, except on northwest coasts. Highest temperatures 12 to 14 degrees early on, but turning cooler in the afternoon.

Would I be right in saying that we wont see a lot of rainfall during daylight hours tomorrow in the west?

Can see the system taking shape and deepening rapidly well off the SW, ECM showing some potential for elevated convection, low chance of lightning but maybe along the SW, S some heavy squally downpours.

TxFEZFG.gif

7NhHUKQ.gif

rwnzlIN.gif?2

Would I be right in saying that we wont see a lot of rainfall during daylight hours tomorrow in the west?

Yeah most of the heaviest rain gone through early in the morning.

anim_uxr1.gif

arpegeuk-25-24-0_otj5.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement