Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Buer wrote: »
    To be that pain, there were people at the time saying he shouldn't be retained. Toner's test career was clearly winding down, Baird had started to get time, Molony is an ever present in the camp, Dunne had been around for a while although missed a lot of last season due to injury.

Fardy was a squad player last season more than a starter. I just don't think it made much sense at all at the time and even less when they saw Baird as being ahead of him when rugby returned.

I think we're going to see him get single digit starts this season.

Noticed that about Dunne and his hair too. Bit ridiculous.

I’ll hold my hands up and say I would have disagreed with you about Fardy at the time. But you would have been right.

Yeah I presume dunne’s hair isn’t long enough to tie up yet but it’s ridiculous if it impacts his play. And if you watch the replay, he was actually running in to stand guard on a ruck and was fiddling with his hair when the (I think scrum half) made the break. He had to stop playing with his hair and misses the tackle.

I presume he’s never had long hair before and it’s new to him so he wasn’t expecting it to be an issue, but he needs a scrum hat for now because it was an Issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Buer wrote: »
    He's definitely going to be let go but I wouldn't be surprised if Toner is released too next summer as he turns 35.

Really hope Dev gets 9 more games this year!

Suspected broken jaw for Ringrose. Not a great week for injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Suspected broken jaw for Ringrose. Not a great week for injuries.

4-6 weeks recovery.. Ireland will miss out more than Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Talk of dev moving on seems premature. Age won't affect his game. Baird and Ryan will be with Ireland and managed. Fardy will be gone.
    As much as I have hopes for Dunne he didn't look like he was ready against a woeful zebre.
    That would leave Maloney and a completely untested young Ryan.
    Finances could play a part but I'd be hanging on to Dev for a while yet. Fantastic calming presence to have with the under23 aged teams we tend to put out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Talk of dev moving on seems premature. Age won't affect his game. Baird and Ryan will be with Ireland and managed. Fardy will be gone.
    As much as I have hopes for Dunne he didn't look like he was ready against a woeful zebre.
    That would leave Maloney and a completely untested young Ryan.
    Finances could play a part but I'd be hanging on to Dev for a while yet. Fantastic calming presence to have with the under23 aged teams we tend to put out

Finances would be the only reason he'd be leaving. Just a sad reality of current situation with no fans that older more expensive players will be unable to be retained.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While we will struggle to hold on to players, where would they go? No one is going to be giving out big contracts - so it will come down to retirement or low contracts for some players I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Glasgow away next up. Think I'd like to see a team something like:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Rhys Ruddock
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Liam Turner
    14. Tommy O’Brien
    15. Jimmy O’Brien

16. James Tracy
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dan Leavy
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. David Hawkshaw/Michael Silvester
    23. David Kearney

I think Dunne and Toner might complement each other better than Molony and Toner. Toner and Molony is two lineout locks rather than a lineout jumper and a power lock.

I'd like to see TOB continue on the right wing because he really was excellent last time out. I think he could be the long term answer at 14. David Kearney is still playing great but he's 31 and I think TOB could be his successor in a year or two.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if all of O'Loughlin, Kelleher and Hawkshaw are unavailable.

They'd have to have a new cap on the bench. Probably not Aaron O'Sullivan if he's with the 7s, so one of Andrew Smith and Niall Comerford (did I hear somewhere Max O'Reilly was injured?).

Alternatively, if they went for another 6-2 split, it could be an opportunity for a Martin Moloney or a Brian Deeny to make the XXIII. They'd probably plump for Fardy instead in that instance, but I think that would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Rhys Ruddock
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Liam Turner
    14. Tommy O’Brien
    15. Jimmy O’Brien

16. James Tracy
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dan Leavy
    21. Paddy Patterson
    23. David Kearney

I think Dunne and Toner might complement each other better than Molony and Toner. Toner and Molony is two lineout locks rather than a lineout jumper and a power lock.

I'd like to see TOB continue on the right wing because he really was excellent last time out. I think he could be the long term answer at 14. David Kearney is still playing great but he's 31 and I think TOB could be his successor in a year or two.

Not a single curveball in there Rich I'm impressed :pac::pac:

Strong enough team there. Glasgow will be a tough place to win away, especially with such a callow squad at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Rhys Ruddock
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Ciarán Frawley
    13. Liam Turner
    14. Tommy O’Brien
    15. Jimmy O’Brien

16. James Tracy
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Dan Leavy
    21. Paddy Patterson
    23. David Kearney

Id like to see R Osborne at 21-think hes more to offer than either Sullivan or Patterson-is he injured?

There were no new injury concerns from the Zebre Rugby game but there was positive news for a trio of players that came through their returns from injury with no issues and, as a result, Dan Sheehan (cheekbone), Dave Kearney (hamstring) and Dan Leavy (knee) will train as normal this week.

Cullen also outlined that both Rory O’Loughlin (calf) and Cian Kelleher (hamstring) had missed the game against Zebre with minor strains but was hopeful that both would be in the mix this week.

Seán Cronin was also ruled out of the Zebre game and he will hope to increase his training load this week after a minor thumb injury.

Another player hoping to increase his training load this week is Ryan Baird as he seeks to recover from an adductor strain injury picked up against Benetton two weeks ago.

Both Cronin and Baird will require further assessment before a final decision is made on their involvement against Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Monty and Saints. Not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We beat Saints fairly handily last season. They've been in free fall since rugby restarted too. But if they get their act together they can be a decent side.

Fixture congestion will mean this game becomes a lottery. Nobody knows what condition the players will be in.

Sounds like a complicated year to really understand the parameters of qualifying.

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1321472505928966144?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

2 pools of 12. Each team plays two opponents drawn from their pool, home and away (4 games). Top 4 from each pool goes to the QF.

How was that a fool's errand?

Not a single curveball in there Rich I'm impressed :pac::pac:

Strong enough team there. Glasgow will be a tough place to win away, especially with such a callow squad at the moment

Glasgow will be missing their internationals as well. By my count there are 14 Glasgow players in the below 40-man squad. Some could be released back, I suppose.

Forwards: Simon Berghan (Edinburgh), Jamie Bhatti (Edinburgh), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan (London Irish), Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs), Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Nick Haining (Edinburgh), Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh), Willem Nel (Edinburgh), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh), Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh), Blade Thomson (Scarlets), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh), George Turner (Glasgow Warriors), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh).

Backs: Darcy Graham (Edinburgh), Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Harris (Gloucester), Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs), George Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh), Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh), James Lang (Harlequins), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors), Finn Russell (Racing 92), Scott Steele (Harlequins), Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh), Duncan Weir (Worcester Warriors).
    Id like to see R Osborne at 21-think hes more to offer than either Sullivan or Patterson-is he injured?

Yeah, he was ahead of them last season anyway. I'm not aware of him being injured. Maybe HOS got the nod last week because it was a 6-2 split and he can fill in at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

Not sure about that’s but I’m not sure what Leinster needs poor aul Sean Cronin for anymore. He moved from third choice hooker to fourth choice hooker last night.

Time to move him on, I’d say.

At 6 feet 3 he's only a tiddler.
    Sorry was talking about D Sheehan.

Been very impressed with Tommy O'Brien this season. He makes everything look very easy. Whether it's line breaks, offloading or being in position for an offload, he's usually in position to do it.

I don't think he was a heralded underage player either, although I might be wrong in that. Good to see players developing steadily through the system. It won't be long before he's pushing out more senior players for their spot.

Clegg wrote: »
    Been very impressed with Tommy O'Brien this season. He makes everything look very easy. Whether it's line breaks, offloading or being in position for an offload, he's usually in position to do it.

I don't think he was a heralded underage player either, although I might be wrong in that. Good to see players developing steadily through the system. It won't be long before he's pushing out more senior players for their spot.

He was heralded, but progress slowed by injuries.

Started irish 20's as a u-19, captained Ireland u20 too.

• Advertisement

He would have had a reasonably successful underage career.

He took over captaincy from Doris in 2018 when he got injured and scored some lovely tries and involvements. He missed the world cup with a shoulder injury that kept him out for a year.

He played in the previous years campaign too where he had an barely believably good try saving tackle against France in Donnybrook as I recall. Missed the 2017 campaign with an injury too.

He had unfortunate back to back shoulder and knee injuries IIRC which meant he kind of flew under the radar for a few years.

What strikes me about him is he just has a really good attitude. He seems to combine pure graft with a really complete skillset.

He's a deceptively good defender for someone who I wouldn't consider overly big. Well capable of emptying fellas with a big hit.

If he can keep a run of fitness going we could well see him get some european minutes this season. Capable of playing 12,13 and 14 to a very high level.

Looks like I was wrong!

Still great to see a young player take to pro level so quickly. Ryan, Porter, Doris and Kelleher are the obvious examples of underage players transitioning to pro level effortlessly. But the likes of TOB, Harry Byrne, JOB etc are part of a cohort that aren't test standard yet, but more than capable of excelling in the league.

Looks like I was wrong!

Still great to see a young player take to pro level so quickly. Ryan, Porter, Doris and Kelleher are the obvious examples of underage players transitioning to pro level effortlessly. But the likes of TOB, Harry Byrne, JOB etc are part of a cohort that aren't test standard yet, but more than capable of excelling in the league.

I think they'd get on fine if you threw them in now - or in the near future anyway. Keenan took to Test rugby like a duck to water for someone who only made his European debut in the Saracens qf.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Anyone read sean o briens book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Stan27 wrote: »
    Anyone read sean o briens book ?

No, but I found the excerpt in the Times to be a fascinating and honest read.

interesting to hear Bernard Jackman mention on the 42 podcast, that he heard that Leinster might converting Bobby Sheehan to tighthead prop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

hirondelle wrote: »
    No, but I found the excerpt in the Times to be a fascinating and honest read.

Started it last night

bayern wrote: »
    interesting to hear Bernard Jackman mention on the 42 podcast, that he heard that Leinster might converting Bobby Sheehan to tighthead prop.

Very tall prop.

Hope it works out well for him if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think they'd get on fine if you threw them in now - or in the near future anyway. Keenan took to Test rugby like a duck to water for someone who only made his European debut in the Saracens qf.

Keenan is great but let’s be real he hasn’t played Test rugby yet.

• Advertisement

IRFU Academy 7s Squads, Round 2:

Leinster: John McKee(u21/Hooker), Joe McCarthy(u20/Lock), Alex Soroka(u20/Backrow), Patrick Patterson(u23/Scrumhalf), Niall Comerford(u21/Wing), Marcus Hanan(u21/Prop), Jack Boyle(u19/Prop), Lee Barron(u20/Hooker), Charlie Tector(u19/Outhalf), Marcus Kiely(u20/Centre), Jamie Osborne(u20/Back Three), Chris Cosgrave(u20/Back Three), Karl Martin(u19/Centre)

bold = Academy Year 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement