Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That came off a Zebre foot, not Sheehans hand. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruddock is playing like he has a point to prove. He's ploughing into contact.

Debut try for Sheahan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Ruddock is playing like he has a point to prove. He's ploughing into contact.

Men and boys. He's bowling over guys in contact and is far smarter than any forward on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Advertisement

Was Molony gouged?

Lovely little strike play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ref has completely and absolutely bottled that. Muppet. Talked his way out of having to penalise a gouge despite the tmo's best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ref has completely and absolutely bottled that. Muppet. Talked his way out of having to penalise a gouge despite the tmo's best efforts.
    TMO should have been stronger then. This nonsense of talking in code or trying to prompt the ref needs to be cut it out. If the TMO thinks it needs to be a stronger sanction they need to just say it. Puts the pressure on the referee then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

kmart6 wrote: »
    TMO should have been stronger then. This nonsense of talking in code or trying to prompt the ref needs to be cut it out. If the TMO thinks it needs to be a stronger sanction they need to just say it. Puts the pressure on the referee then.

Ref completely abdicated responsibility. The tmo told him there had been contact with the eye area and showed him over and over but when he just kept coming back to her with excuses for more clarification she eventually told him what he wanted to hear. It's not the tmo's job to make calls/override the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So then the TMO bottled it by not sticking with their original take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Scabby try but delighted for Leavy. What a way to cap off the night for him.

Edit: ah feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I like the look of Sheahan, Tommy O'Brien and Jack Dunne. I can see them being internationals in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Everyone was good , was gonna single some players out but pretty much the whole 23 added something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Impressive performance tonight.

It was solid. The Zebre showing is up there with the worst I've ever seen in the league though.

I was most impressed with the O'Brien pair. Very rounded players.

Also haven't seen him mentioned much but great to have DK back. Given how things have panned out, he'd have been starting for Ireland tomorrow if he stayed fit. Took his try well and great offload too for another.

He's one of those guys who will be only appreciated after he's gone. Incredibly consistent and effective. Glad to see he's still scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

Leinster were good but Zebre brought all the intensity of a wet paper bag, so tough to judge the performance really.

The one thing you can say independent of Zebre's performance is that Bryne can certainly kick a few nice conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What I liked about the performance was how keen everyone was to get on the ball and also link up with those around them. Easy to do today, but the intent is very much there which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

briandebum wrote: »
    Leinster were good but Zebre brought all the intensity of a wet paper bag, so tough to judge the performance really.

The one thing you can say independent of Zebre's performance is that Bryne can certainly kick a few nice conversions.

Byrne’s kicks from hand were very good too. And I think one of good kicks for touch was by JOB and one was from TOB. But I think it showed how poor zebra were that they kept having to put all the players in the defensive line and kept leaving the backfield exposed. I really liked that the Leinster lads had the vision to see the space and run zebre ragged by playing into wherever they didn’t have defenders.

Good performance by Leinster and I don’t want to take from their play and some great debuts, but very poor by zebre.

Dan Sheehan for the Lions

• Advertisement

Dan Sheehan for the Lions

Not sure about that’s but I’m not sure what Leinster needs poor aul Sean Cronin for anymore. He moved from third choice hooker to fourth choice hooker last night.

Time to move him on, I’d say.

Not sure about that’s but I’m not sure what Leinster needs poor aul Sean Cronin for anymore. He moved from third choice hooker to fourth choice hooker last night.

In the current financial climate, he simply won't be renewed. There will be far bigger names likely to be forcibly retired also such as Sexton.

Fardy being retained isn't looking like great business right now either. He's definitely going to be let go but I wouldn't be surprised if Toner is released too next summer as he turns 35.

We're going to see the departure of 4 or 5 stalwarts next year and possibly the relocation of some other quality players in favour of younger and cheaper options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Yeah unless fans can return in the new year, pro rugby in ireland is going to be devastated.

Dan Sheehan too captain* the lions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I like the look of Sheahan, Tommy O'Brien and Jack Dunne. I can see them being internationals in the next year or two.

While they did look good, I think it would be a bit extreme to tout their international prospects based on the opposition here. The training sessions would have been a tougher test than the game itself.

Buer wrote: »
    In the current financial climate, he simply won't be renewed. There will be far bigger names likely to be forcibly retired also such as Sexton.

Fardy being retained isn't looking like great business right now either. He's definitely going to be let go but I wouldn't be surprised if Toner is released too next summer as he turns 35.

We're going to see the departure of 4 or 5 stalwarts next year and possibly the relocation of some other quality players in favour of younger and cheaper options.

Yeah sexton’s time is up anyway though. And Fardy was a good decision at the time but they really don’t need him at the moment. They could really do with an NIQ player with the quality of Lowe or a similar level project player.

But I don’t want to be Captain Hindsight about Fardy. I remember thinking it was a very good signing to keep him for this year.

When you consider the starting second rows minus the Ireland squad players were Toner and Moloney, they don’t need an expensive option in Fardy.

I’d like to see more of Jack Dunne. He was constantly pushing his hair out of his face and was playing with his hair and missed the tackle that started zebre like break for the try.

I’m fine with people doing what they want fashionwise, but he should wear a scrum cap if his hair is getting in his way.

Yeah sexton’s time is up anyway though. And Fardy was a good decision at the time but they really don’t need him at the moment. They could really do with an NIQ player with the quality of Lowe or a similar level project player.

But I don’t want to be Captain Hindsight about Fardy. I remember thinking it was a very good signing to keep him for this year.

To be that pain, there were people at the time saying he shouldn't be retained. Toner's test career was clearly winding down, Baird had started to get time, Molony is an ever present in the camp, Dunne had been around for a while although missed a lot of last season due to injury.

Fardy was a squad player last season more than a starter. I just don't think it made much sense at all at the time and even less when they saw Baird as being ahead of him when rugby returned.

I think we're going to see him get single digit starts this season.

Noticed that about Dunne and his hair too. Bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah lads as things have panned out we could have done without Fardy but at the time things weren't as clear. There was a possibility of losing up to 3 second rows to Irish camps and Fardy is still a quality player and with some of the teams that are going to be put out an old head in the dressing room is going to be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Teams will always end up with players/contracts that are surplus to requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wasn’t that impressed by Dunne. Looks like a big unit but a bit on the slow side and not so dynamic. Or at least that’s how it appeared to me last night. Haven’t seen enough of him to make a full judgement. Feel the game is moving on (as ever) to more dynamic type players in the second row such as Itoje, Ryan and Baird.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement