Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... find it a bit vague. It will say "don't do X but sometimes you might have to do x" but does not say what the sometimes might be
    Advanced drivers will know 'when the sometimes might be'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The car makes a big difference, there's 20 years old Luxobarges will have a far better stopping distance than brand new superminis, having the power to overtake at will makes a car safer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mikeecho wrote: »

Yes, yes it is. I have a copy from the time I took the RSA advanced test as part of the ADI curriculum a good few years back.

OP, the most succinct way I can put it is, what is appropriate for the novice is not necessarily appropriate for the master. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The car makes a big difference, there's 20 years old Luxobarges will have a far better stopping distance than brand new superminis, having the power to overtake at will makes a car safer too.

Any source on this?

For example an e39 M5 has the same stopping distance as a 1.2 Polo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any source on this?

No idea if it's true or not, more of a gut feeling, but an older car in the hands of an advanced motorist might well stop in a shorter distance than in the hands of an "inexperienced" driver but a modern car with ABS, TC, Stability Control etc. is more than likely a match in terms of braking distance, even in the hands of a "novice"

The real crux though is that either car in the hands of an "advanced" or even "experienced" driver is far less likely to need the demands of a better stopping distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any source on this?

Depends on the tyres.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Spook_ie wrote: »
    No idea if it's true or not, more of a gut feeling, but an older car in the hands of an advanced motorist might well stop in a shorter distance than in the hands of an "inexperienced" driver but a modern car with ABS, TC, Stability Control etc. is more than likely a match in terms of braking distance, even in the hands of a "novice"

Only if the older car has ABS, TC, Stability Control, even then the weight will work against it as said tyres will decide more than either driver really.
    The real crux though is that either car in the hands of an "advanced" or even "experienced" driver is far less likely to need the demands of a better stopping distance.

Very true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Advanced driving is focused more on observation. It has little to do with handling the car. Its about your ability to see whats happening around you and anticipate what actions you may need to take whether or not you need to take them.

The simple act of being in lane 1 on a motorway 5 km before you need to exit instead of being in lane 2/3 is considered advanced driving, becuase you have made sure you are ready in advance of what you need to do.

The car makes a big difference, there's 20 years old Luxobarges will have a far better stopping distance than brand new superminis........................

I know cars have gotten heavier but the modern, lighter car will be brought to a halt in less distance then a heavier yoke........... once the brakes and tyres are ship shape.

Once there's enough braking force to lock the wheels up ABS will do the rest providing you've adequate grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bladespin wrote: »
    Only if the older car has ABS, TC, Stability Control, even then the weight will work against it as said tyres will decide more than either driver really.

Very true.

Would the older car need the ABS, TC, Stability Control etc as the "advanced" driver wouldn't be exceeding the limits of road adhesion etc.

ABS was preceded by cadence braking, TC and stability control were preceded by knowing the limits of your vehicle ( including tyres )

Would the older car need the ABS, TC, Stability Control etc as the "advanced" driver wouldn't be exceeding the limits of road adhesion etc.

ABS was preceded by cadence braking, TC and stability control were preceded by knowing the limits of your vehicle ( including tyres )

Even advanced drivers may need to perform an emergency stop.

Augeo wrote: »
    Even advanced drivers may need to perform an emergency stop.

Yes indeed....

As a bus driver it's quite common and honestly we save many lives daily by knowing and predicting what the pedestrian, cyclists or other motorists are going to do before they even know themselves.....

Some just are a dead give away such as headphones on, head down as they're looking at their phone, staggering after a skin full and much much more.

Advanced driver will also allow more distance when overtaking in the rain for example taking into account the spray from the wheels/tyres and leave it a little longer before safely moving back into the left lane, many don't do this or understand it's actually a great help for those you just overtook and as mentioned just knowing what is going on 360° around you ...

Yes, assuming same conditions, the bigger older car would be much harder to stop, cadence isn't anywhere near as effective as ABS -which is literally mechanical cadence braking.

The better driver simply would be less likely to 'need' to use either.

ABS in ice/snow is useless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It would be good if there a was a scheme like cycle to work but for advanced driving. Where they'd at least guarantee you wouldn't be out of pocket for getting certified

and tied into a discount on insurance even if it was 50 off or something

ABS in ice/snow is useless.....

Yes but in Ireland 350+ days of the year we don't need to worry about that.

https://www.aviva.ie/insurance/car-insurance/discounts/

"That's why you get 20% of the price of your policy if you hold a relevant 'Advanced Driver' qualification with the following driving associations:"

https://www.advanced-driving.ie/rospa-advanced-driving-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

"That's why you get 20% of the price of your policy if you hold a relevant 'Advanced Driver' qualification with the following driving associations:"

I looked into that.. the cost of the yearly membership, and the discount the insurance company gave me... It was still cheaper to get insurer elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mikeecho wrote: »
    I looked into that.. the cost of the yearly membership, and the discount the insurance company gave me... It was still cheaper to get insurer elsewhere.

yeah I didn't want to shoot it down because it's great that it's there but aviva don't even provide me with a quote so 20% off isn't the best but still good to see they at least respect that those certs exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

In the past 10 years, I've done the test twice. Once up north in Belfast. Only done it because one of the organisers is friend and instructor.
    Did get a nice discount on insurance by sending them a copy of the cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

then they wont pay out when you have a crash , cos you should have been able to avoid it ...

its like having a house alarm , and getting house insurance discount
    if you are broken into and dont have a service cert , even if the alarm went off you are fooked

then they wont pay out when you have a crash , cos you should have been able to avoid it ................

I wouldn't imagine that's the case.
    If advanced driving reduces risk of having an accident it can't be expected to eliminate it.

If advanced driving reduces risk of having an accident it can't be expected to eliminate it.

If you get a quote based on holding a certain qualification, you'd be required to prove you held it on the date of any relevant incident. Depending on the terns of policy/basis of certification you might need to keep it current by re-qualifying on an ongoing basis.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    If you get a quote based on holding a certain qualification, you'd be required to prove you held it on the date of any relevant incident. Depending on the terns of policy/basis of certification you might need to keep it current by re-qualifying on an ongoing basis.

Of course if you get a discount based on holding a certain qualification there mat be a requirement that the qualification is valid/maintained for the duration of the policy.

Quite different to ..........
    then they wont pay out when you have a crash , cos you should have been able to avoid it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Of course if you get a discount based on holding a certain qualification there mat be a requirement that the qualification is valid/maintained for the duration of the policy.

Quite different to ..........

"The RoSPA Advanced Driving Test
    The RoSPA advanced driving test is regarded as the most comprehensive and challenging available to the public. It is monitored and approved by the Driving Standards Agency. The test lasts around 90 minutes, and is taken with a RoSPA Examiner, who generally are serving or retired Police Officers. The RoSPA Advanced Driving Test is unique as it is graded Bronze, Silver or Gold. A RoSPA Gold is the highest civilian driving standard available and the holder will be a master of his or her art. To see more about what is expected, download the Car Test Guidelines (PDF 127kb).
    Unlike other Advanced Driving organisations, RoSPA encourage 3 yearly re-tests, to ensure that excellent driving standards are maintained. The re-test fee is included in your RoSPA yearly subscription costs."

The qualification I linked to initially requires an annual subscription and a re-test every 3 years.

Other than for personal improvement then, would this be worth the cost with regards to any possible insurance discount? Unless you are paying several thousand for insurance and are getting perhaps a 20% discount for holding the RoSPA qualification, I can't see it being monetarily beneficial for the majority of drivers.

Miscreant wrote: »
    Other than for personal improvement then, would this be worth the cost with regards to any possible insurance discount? Unless you are paying several thousand for insurance and are getting perhaps a 20% discount for holding the RoSPA qualification, I can't see it being monetarily beneficial for the majority of drivers.

I've no idea. People's insurance costs vary hugely. I initially was replying to ........
    It would be good if there a was a scheme like cycle to work but for advanced driving. Where they'd at least guarantee you wouldn't be out of pocket for getting certified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I've no idea. People's insurance costs vary hugely. I initially was replying to ........

It was more of an open question as opposed to picking on your post, I was just using it to highlight mine :)

Miscreant wrote: »

More for instructors and the like, some organisations have it as a requirement for their drivers - blood bikes for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

this is Ireland , of course they will ...
    my example re house insurance explained why .

Advertisement