Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced driving

Options
2»

Comments

this is Ireland , of course they will ...

I would disagree :)
    Your example regarding house insurance wasn't at all analogous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

I've done a 3 week advanced driving course with the Irish Ambulance Training Institute, certified by the Institute of advanced motorists as part of my HSE training which is mandatory for all NAS staff these days.

90% of it was practical and on the road with a few hours of classroom time.

A one poster said, a lot of advanced driving is to do with observation and positioning of your vehicle.

There's many different types of advanced driving. So you need to figure out what you want out of the course you pick.

Response driving an ambulance is a totally different ball game to response driving a high powered garda car. Although some of the principals are the same I'd imagine.

If you told me to get in a rally car and keep hold of it on gravel or ice in a skid I wouldn't last 2 minutes I reckon.

The first 2 weeks of our course was extremely monotonous. It was all about polishing your positioning and drilling good observation. Things like observing the roads limit points, taking a turn correct to ensure maximum tyre grip, planning your route ahead.

Week 3 was all blue light training. This is where they sometimes made us push the vehicles to the limit. I enjoyed it but I know many didn't as they felt the course dragged on too long.

Ehh, anyway cutting to the chase: In terms of insurance, I know aviva give a small discount. But simply having the certificate isn't enough. They want you to be a registered member of IAM which is a UK based company which blow their own horn and send you out a bunch of stickers and boring magazines.

The membership costs more than the insurance discount. I wouldn't pay for the membership it's pointless.

I've yet to come across any insurance companies that care about my qualification beyond that so don't get your hopes up.

Would I recommend doing the training just to improve on your own driving skills? Absolutely. Advanced driving gave me a lot of confidence.

But I'd probably recommend a course that isn't ambulance centred unless you're employer is paying for it and that's your job :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ego trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Not pointing fingers... But the barstool experts have moved in.

Please open the pubs, so they can go back to their natural habitat.

Advertisement