Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose headset

Options
  • 27-10-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

I just dropped my road bike down to my local bike shop for new tires and he pointed out the headset was loose, very loose. Kind of embarrassed I didn't notice it myself

What could cause it to become loose and is it just a matter of tightening it?? Could it be damaged and be costly to repair??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

I just dropped my road bike down to my local bike shop for new tires and he pointed out the headset was loose, very loose. Kind of embarrassed I didn't notice it myself

What could cause it to become loose and is it just a matter of tightening it?? Could it be damaged and be costly to repair??

General use, especially if you're going over rough ground could cause play. It should be a simple matter to tighten it up.

Regarding damage, the only likely damage is to the bearings, which are usually cheap and easy to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭con747

Could have just worked it's way loose over time, or the bearings might be worn. Pull the front brake and move the bike forward and back and you will see how much movement is in it, and listen when turning it if you can hear grinding. Check if the Lock nut is loose. It's not a big job to replace the bearings if your anyway handy.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Thanks lads. Doesn't sound to bad

Bike is still in the shop getting new tires. Hopefully he will just tighten it and won't charge me

Picked up the bike. Owner of the shop says the bearings are damaged and I need a new headset. 80euro for parts plus labour.

Picked up the bike. Owner of the shop says the bearings are damaged and I need a new headset. 80euro for parts plus labour.

Prices have gone up since I last fixed bikes! It's an easy job if you have the tools. I would still check if you can hear or feel a grinding or rough feel when turning the handlebars when stationary. Or just unscrew the nuts on top to see for yourself. Be careful though in case any bearings fall out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how old is the bike?

What bike have you got? Does the 80 quid include labour, or is labour extra, not sure from your post

I bought the bike about 3 years ago but used it very little until 4/5 weeks ago. It was used for racing before I bought it. The 80squid includes labour

It's a plant x carbon fiber road bike

Here she is.

I would have thoiught a new headset would be no more than about 40. In which case its about 40 for labour. I have no idea whether thats expensive or not, I've never had work done in a bike shop

• Advertisement

Headset prices here https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/components/finishing-kit/head-sets, Labour price would be about right as anything over 30 minutes usually gets a full hourly charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ChainReaction do a range of own brand headsets, Brand X.
    If you can find out, if one of theirs fits your bike, they're about 15 euro.
    Fitting is quite easy, you only need a couple of Allen keys.
    There are lots of videos online. You do need to be careful with torque.
    I have a Planet X, different model to yours, I changed the headset on mine last week, it took about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Try tightening it first. I thought the headset on my fixie was shot. Brought it to the shop and they tightened it up. I didn't even think of tightening it myself. Felt like a thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just buy the bearings and fit yourself?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=planet+x+headset+bearings&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Id have guessed 20euro for the headset and with nothing more than a screw driver to tap out anything if needs be and some allen keys, you could do it in 5 minutes.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Id have guessed 20euro for the headset and with nothing more than a screw driver to tap out anything if needs be and some allen keys, you could do it in 5 minutes.

A quick look online suggested 40 being the upper limit for a generic headset.

And yes, I'd agree with everything else you said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I am pretty sure that this headset will fit.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-sealed-integrated-tapered-headset/rp-prod130924

That is, if it's a Planet X RT-90

I would be confident enough to get the torque right. I'll have to bring it to the shop unless a helpful boardsie wants to help me out? ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would be confident enough to get the torque right. I'll have to bring it to the shop unless a helpful boardsie wants to help me out? ðŸ˜
    Where are you based?

Where are you based?

Lucan

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be over worried about torque. The stem cap is just for preloading once everything is in the right place. Tighten it till it resists and the fork still moves freely, the stem is what actually holds it in place, and while you should torque this, in all my years I've never seen a bike mec do it and I certainly haven't. People may disagree but I just tighten as much as I can without threading for the stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The stem is what actually holds it in place, and while you should torque this, in all my years I've never seen a bike mec do it and I certainly haven't. People may disagree but I just tighten as much as I can without threading for the stem.

Possibly the only bolt I ever snapped when working on my bikes!

Generally replacing headset bearings is one of the more straightforward jobs. It annoys me that I have had to change the lower one on an FSA headset three times in five years while the unknown brand on my older Cannondale has never needed any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lucan
    If you are stuck you're (in all likelihood) within 5km of me.

I was out for a spin today and I could hear it clicking when I pulled the front break. Definitely need to get it sorted as soon as I can. Should I be worried about it during my 11k commute to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I replaced the headset on a planet x sl pro carbon a couple of weeks ago and its looks very similar to yours.

Why not take it apart carefully remembering the order of parts, all you need is an allen key and maybe a screwdriver to prise the bottom cap up. Clean everything as you take it off, take out the top bearing (which is usually the one that goes first) and see what it is like. If it needs replacing measure its dimensions and take note of any numbers on it. Put it all back in the reverse order tightening appropriately (and applying grease around the bearing if you have any) and then order the bearing if it is still loose.

Possibly the only bolt I ever snapped when working on my bikes!

Generally replacing headset bearings is one of the more straightforward jobs. It annoys me that I have had to change the lower one on an FSA headset three times in five years while the unknown brand on my older Cannondale has never needed any attention.

Same here, never had an issue with headsets in bikes until recently and one bike has needed them replaced 3 times in 2 years. Bought a fancier brand headset this time around so hoping thats the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Same here, never had an issue with headsets in bikes until recently and one bike has needed them replaced 3 times in 2 years. Bought a fancier brand headset this time around so hoping thats the difference

A certain guy on YouTube claims there is huge volume of fake bearings out there being sold widely by big online retailers and bike shops.

I dropped the bike down to my local shop again. He took apart the headset and greased it. It's much better now with very little play in it but he said I still need a new headset. No charge for greasing it.
    He doesn't deal with planet x so I'll have to order the part myself and he will fit it. That's a sound arrangement I think.
    But I'm now confused what I should order. There doesn't seem to be a full headset listed on the planet x website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As a general thing I'm not even sure what exactly a headset it. There is a threaded bung which expands in the top of the fork. There is a screw which threads into that bung and there is a cap and spacers which go either side of the handlebars. Then there is the bearings which go into the top and bottom of the steerer tube.

I've bought the bung, screw, cap and spacers as a unit because the old bung was bust. I've also just replaced the bearings.

I'd get on to your mechanic and try and find out what exactly is on its way out.

Or maybe headset is a generally understood term which just confuses me but somebody here is clear on what exactly it is.

• Advertisement

As a general thing I'm not even sure what exactly a headset it. There is a threaded bung which expands in the top of the fork. There is a screw which threads into that bung and there is a cap and spacers which go either side of the handlebars. Then there is the bearings which go into the top and bottom of the steerer tube.

I've bought the bung, screw, cap and spacers as a unit because the old bung was bust. I've also just replaced the bearings.

I'd get on to your mechanic and try and find out what exactly is on its way out.

Or maybe headset is a generally understood term which just confuses me but somebody here is clear on what exactly it is.

The headset on a bicycle is all of those things.
    But yes, I'd be asking what's actually worn, and what you need to order

849561d1385324006-big-problem-pressing-bottom-headset-cup-sos-help-anatomy-threadless-headset_velomirshop.ru-spacer-.jpg

Advertisement