Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose headset

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I dropped the bike down to my local shop again. He took apart the headset and greased it. It's much better now with very little play in it but he said I still need a new headset. No charge for greasing it.
    He doesn't deal with planet x so I'll have to order the part myself and he will fit it. That's a sound arrangement I think.
    But I'm now confused what I should order. There doesn't seem to be a full headset listed on the planet x website

What model is your bike?
    Is it an RT-90?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What model is your bike?
    Is it an RT-90?

It's the rt-58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

cletus wrote: »
    The headset on a bicycle is all of those things.
    But yes, I'd be asking what's actually worn, and what you need to order

849561d1385324006-big-problem-pressing-bottom-headset-cup-sos-help-anatomy-threadless-headset_velomirshop.ru-spacer-.jpg

That's the whole shebang in general terms but isn't an exact match of how my 2009 Planet X is set up.

Do they sell the whole lot as a set for specific bikes ? Any example links ?

I recently bought this "headset"

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bbb-powerhead-compressor-adjuster-bap03/rp-prod29884

which is for a standard steerer and only a small part of setup illustrated above.

And this is the type of stuff you get when your search "headset" on CRC

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/headsets?keywordRedirectTerm=headset

See where I'm coming from. What's generally sold under "headset" is very different from the generic understanding of what parts it entails.

This is unlike bottom bracket where you do purchase the whole shebang

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

I know your search term was headset, but most of the items that are listed say "headset bottom cup", "headset top cap" or whatever component of the headset they are.

A headset is technically everything from the top cap to the crown race. Some bike setups might not use or need all components. I would think that when someone says a headset needs replacing, most of the time the are talking about the cups, bearings or races, or possibly some combination of those

The first item you bought is very clearly labelled as a "BBB PowerHead - Compressor Adjuster BAP03", not a headset

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    I know your search term was headset, but most of the items that are listed say "headset bottom cup", "headset top cap" or whatever component of the headset they are.

A headset is technically everything from the top cap to the crown race. Some bike setups might not use or need all components. I would think that when someone says a headset needs replacing, most of the time the are talking about the cups, bearings or races, or possibly some combination of those

The first item you bought is very clearly labelled as a "BBB PowerHead - Compressor Adjuster BAP03", not a headset

True, no mention of headset in the term and its not in the above picture either. And I would have thought both it and the cap bolt are core headset components.

I'm a bit confused about the cups ? I thought the bearings on my steerer tube just fitted into shaped slots that were part of the steerer but now I'm wondering is there actually some sort of cup inside... that may have become so dirty over time that I mistook it as part of the tube.

True, no mention of headset in the term and its not in the above picture either. And I would have thought both it and the cap bolt are core headset components.

I'm a bit confused about the cups ? I thought the bearings on my steerer tube just fitted into shaped slots that were part of the steerer but now I'm wondering is there actually some sort of cup inside... that may have become so dirty over time that I mistook it as part of the tube.

It's possible, but I've not seen that. Take a picture and post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Planet x got back to me and said this is the headset for my rt-58
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSSSELC1815D/selcof-sport-integrated-cup-angular-contact-cartridge-bearing-v2-headset-for-tapered-1-1-8th--15-fork-steerer

I have that ordered and will drop it down to the mechanic when it arrives

Its not particularly cheap. If you plan on holding on to the bike for a while, before giving the headset to your mechanic I'd try and identify the bearings using

https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/

Either purchase them or make a note of their sizes so you can purchase in future.

Its likely much of the existing headset is fine so I'd ask your mechanic to give all the components that come out back to you rather than binning them. You can then reuse them at a later stage or use them to verify replacement parts.

I tend to keep spare bearings for wheels, headsets and BBs... which can sometimes lead to other problems as you look at all these bearings and wonder what they are for.

I'd go a step further, and ask your mechanic what exactly needs replacing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Caution, this post will cast aspersions on a company that maybe unjustified. I would do neither. I would get the dimensions and buy a decent headset for 20 quid when this one fails. Planet X are not exactly known for QAing stuff. You could get lucky and if you do great but otherwise, that would be my recommendation. Or in future (if you are not fitting yourself) get your LBS to source the headset and fit it, that way if it fails, you can go back to them.

My preference would be to just get a pricier one, fit myself and hopefully not think about it for years to come.

Advertisement