Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Star Is Born (2018)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Surprised that it got almost universal acclaim from critics. I thought it started well, then nosedived second half. The film became a slog due to the very poor script. Found I was just watching stuff happen on the screen, rather than being engaged by dialogue - which is what a romance needs imo if it wants that end emotional pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Addle wrote: »
    I thought her nude scene was completely unnecessary.

don't they do this so the film is guaranteed a more mature rating? (R in USA).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mallllias

every time i see the old movie with barbara , i think i see jjcale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I absolutely hated this. Such a stupid story about two annoying people. "If you're with someone talented and you're holding them back, don't breakup with them, just kill yourself", is not a great narrative to me.

Before he appeared, I did not know Sam Elliott was in this film, but thought Bradley Cooper sounded like him...then Sam Elliott actually shows up as his brother and Cooper's imitation voice just became even more of a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I absolutely hated this. Such a stupid story about two annoying people. "If you're with someone talented and you're holding them back, don't breakup with them, just kill yourself", is not a great narrative to me.

Think you're misreading it if you think that is the message/narrative of the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Think you're misreading it if you think that is the message/narrative of the film.

Yes Jackson has his issues demons before meeting Ally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The best version is What Price Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

The 1954 remake will be broadcast by the ( wonderful ) BBC 4 this evening from 8pm

https://www.radiotimes.com/film/mr44td/a-star-is-born/

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

My first time posting in the "Films" forum!

So, I've just finished watching this movie, which I recorded from RTE1 a few days ago.

My major issue with it is the sound quality...which seems odd for an Oscar winning movie, which is based around music.

Firstly, I found that much of the dialogue is slurred or spoken with a drawl (is this some regional American accent?), to the extent that I couldn't follow what was actually being said. I understand that the main character (Jackson) was meant to be drunk or high much of the way through, but I noticed this with most of the other characters also.

Secondly, almost throughout, the vocals both spoken and sung, were out of sync with the characters lips which was very distracting, and contributed to my difficulty following the dialogue.

I found myself with the remote in my hand, turning up the volume to catch the dialogue, then frantically turning it back down when they started singing. Also, trying to find any subtitles.

Now, I did follow the main storyline, as it's a fairly simple one, but missed much of the specifics.

Wondering, was this an issue when it was released in the cinema? Or, could there have been a problem with the copy used by RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    My first time posting in the "Films" forum!

So, I've just finished watching this movie, which I recorded from RTE1 a few days ago.

My major issue with it is the sound quality...which seems odd for an Oscar winning movie, which is based around music.

Firstly, I found that much of the dialogue is slurred or spoken with a drawl (is this some regional American accent?), to the extent that I couldn't follow what was actually being said. I understand that the main character (Jackson) was meant to be drunk or high much of the way through, but I noticed this with most of the other characters also.

Secondly, almost throughout, the vocals both spoken and sung, were out of sync with the characters lips which was very distracting, and contributed to my difficulty following the dialogue.

I found myself with the remote in my hand, turning up the volume to catch the dialogue, then frantically turning it back down when they started singing. Also, trying to find any subtitles.

Now, I did follow the main storyline, as it's a fairly simple one, but missed much of the specifics.

Wondering, was this an issue when it was released in the cinema? Or, could there have been a problem with the copy used by RTE?

I also watched this on RTE and had seen it in the Cinema too and will say it was much easier to hear in the cinema and sound was also much better too. I did not notice the lips been lit of sync do so maybe that was just yours mone certainly did not have not problem.
    I think the main problem do is that most films these days are made for the cinema and it never translates well onto TV unless you have a great TV and sound set up.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

AMKC wrote: »
    I also watched this on RTE and had seen it in the Cinema too and will say it was much easier to hear in the cinema and sound was also much better too. I did not notice the lips been lit of sync do so maybe that was just yours mone certainly did not have not problem.
    I think the main problem do is that most films these days are made for the cinema and it never translates well onto TV unless you have a great TV and sound set up.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Strange - the dialogue being out of sync was very noticeable when I watched it. Wondering if this is an issue with my UPC/Virgin media box. Must watch out for it elsewhere.....

Overall, I thought it was a fairly good film. Very sad at the end. I'd have got more out of it if I could follow it better! For example, I didn't realise that one of the secondary characters was his brother (?), until reading this thread.

Advertisement