Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil Sport Smartwatch: £62.30

Options

Comments

ted1 wrote: »
    3 days isn’t great.... the fact you think it is sleaze volume about how bad these watches are.

the only ones with long life are "smartwatches" that are actually just smartbands. even those if you have one that has gps and you have that on it won't go too long.

people are ok with charging their phone every day but expect a watch with a battery 10% the size of a phone battery to last days?! while also running an actual operating system and apps like a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've a Fossil Hybrid HR. Call/Text/Email/Whatapp notifications, music control, heartrate, sleep monitoring and 2 week battery life. I love it, I replaced my Galaxy Watch with it because the battery life on that annoyed me at 1 day.

Ordered one of these watches anyway, because Boards Bargain Alerts :rolleyes:

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've a Fossil Hybrid HR. Call/Text/Email/Whatapp notifications, music control, heartrate, sleep monitoring and 2 week battery life. I love it, I replaced my Galaxy Watch with it because the battery life on that annoyed me at 1 day.

Ordered one of these watches anyway, because Boards Bargain Alerts :rolleyes:

in all fairness, that is just a health band, not a smartwatch. you can get a 30 euro band like the honor band 5 that has more features (e.g. blood oxygen level monitoring -> useful for CV19 actually, more workout modes, much better and more accurate sleep analysis breakdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

glasso wrote: »
    won't last very long on gps tracking and bluetooth music I would say!

better not be a long cycle.

let us know how long you will get on that - I'd say about 90 minutes is my guess.

hmm the plan is to load songs onto the device directly?

As I mentioned before I hate carrying my phone with me everywhere, and certainly not when out on the bike, so this is a handy way of playing music while out exercising with minimal weight.

mrcheez wrote: »

As I mentioned before I hate carrying my phone with me everywhere, and certainly not when out on the bike

yes you can I believe.

try it out - see how long it goes and report back.

just with gps and bluetooth music running concurrently it will hit the battery hard.

you might as well find out its limits early!

turn off the wifi when not in use.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned before I hate carrying my phone with me everywhere, and certainly not when out on the bike, so this is a handy way of playing music while out exercising with minimal weight.

one of these bluetooth players is worth having as they are cheap and light (clip on to t-shirt or jacket)

I know that it's another item but it's a fairly small outlay

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Headphone-Black/dp/B07XD47QY7/ref=psdc_573372_t1_B07BF86RK1

71415BdUHVL._AC_SS350_.jpg

lol ... this watch will do thanks ;)

lol ... this watch will do thanks ;)

I have one for running.

works well.

weighs nothing.

for 25€ it does the job and will run a lot longer for playing music than the fossil sport will and store a hundred times more (with extra memory card space added on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

in all fairness, that is just a health band, not a smartwatch. you can get a 30 euro band like the honor band 5 that has more features (e.g. blood oxygen level monitoring -> useful for CV19 actually, more workout modes, much better and more accurate sleep analysis breakdown)

Those cheap blood oxygen monitors have been proven to be inaccurate.

Why are you hating on this watch so much. It is very well reviewed and still one of the most recommended especially at the bargain price point

It looks great, great chipset, good price

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭PCDub

one of these bluetooth players is worth having as they are cheap and light (clip on to t-shirt or jacket)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Headphone-Black/dp/B07XD47QY7/ref=psdc_573372_t1_B07BF86RK1

Bargain alert within a bargain alert.. was looking for something like this.
    Cheers Glasso.

• Advertisement

Why are you hating on this watch so much.

and I haven't even gotten to test it out yet :D

It'll be fine for what I need .. load up a 100 or so songs I like to use while exercising, play for 30 mins or so, perfect, and I don't need to worry about carrying around any other devices :)

Those cheap blood oxygen monitors have been proven to be inaccurate.

Why are you hating on this watch so much. It is very well reviewed and still one of the most recommended especially at the bargain price point

It looks great, great chipset, good price

you are mistaken.

that fossil hybrid watch that I commented about in a reply to a user who mentioned that he had it is a different watch completely to the fossil sport. it's not a smart-watch and the honor band 5 is better

maybe actually put some effort into reading comprehension before jumping in?

I have ordered a fossil sport myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You're not wrong, I guess it depends what you want from smart watch. I've had all sorts going back to the Sony Ericsson Liveview and their MBW-150 (coincidentally made by Fossil) and the Hybrid HR fits exactly what I need

Charged this around 4pm yesterday... had it on all night to track sleeping, went out for 1hr cycle this morning with workout tracking, still 50% battery left so happy enough with that. Bluetooth on all the time.

Didn't feel the watch while sleeping at all, so it's low weight/profile has an advantage here.

I'm used to my Huawei Watch 2 losing its charge a bit faster, and the interface is somewhat less responsive than this so I'm happy with this purchase so far.

Can confirm that Google Pay is restricted on this watch, even though I can use it on the Huawei Watch 2, so might look at the xda-developers workaround over the coming weeks.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    You're not wrong, I guess it depends what you want from smart watch. I've had all sorts going back to the Sony Ericsson Liveview and their MBW-150 (coincidentally made by Fossil) and the Hybrid HR fits exactly what I need

If you like the Look of the watch and it works for your needs then all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

71415BdUHVL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Nice one for this. Was just going to go look for something to use when getting back to running. Phones are just two big and awkward to be running with.

Charged this around 4pm yesterday... had it on all night to track sleeping, went out for 1hr cycle this morning with workout tracking, still 50% battery left so happy enough with that. Bluetooth on all the time.

Battery down to 30% after roughly 24 hours ... 20% less than this morning.

Have been getting constant alerts as messages arrive on my phone, so it's been pretty actively used.

Going to see how long it can go until it reaches 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jofspring wrote: »
    Nice one for this. Was just going to go look for something to use when getting back to running. Phones are just two big and awkward to be running with.

You can use the fossil sport for music.

Ush1 wrote: »

Actually on this, what's the best way of getting music onto the watch?

I'm going to dig around the internets over the weekend, but initial search seems to suggest you do it via Google Play Music?

So, say I have mp3s on my ipod, do I put them on my phone and then send them to the watch via Google Play Music?

Or is it possible to install Google Drive and download them that way?

Also do I need to be subbed to Google Play Music? I'm only on Spotify, but I have purchased a few songs from Play Music which I have as physical mp3s, but I'm not a Premium subscriber.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually on this, what's the best way of getting music onto the watch?

I'm going to dig around the internets over the weekend, but initial search seems to suggest you do it via Google Play Music?

So, say I have mp3s on my ipod, do I put them on my phone and then send them to the watch via Google Play Music?

Or is it possible to install Google Drive and download them that way?

Also do I need to be subbed to Google Play Music? I'm only on Spotify, but I have purchased a few songs from Play Music which I have as physical mp3s, but I'm not a Premium subscriber.

You don't need a paid sub from memory.Just sign up to google music using chrome, add the extension and you can then add your own music from a pc.You do need to provide a credit card though for verification but youre only charged 0.00.

Then you just drag and drop your files (mp3s) and it will sync with whatecer devices you log on to with your google music player.

Now I might be missing something as I haven't used it on a wear os device yet.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ush1 wrote: »

I already have a watch for tracking my runs so just needed something for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

For anyone that wants Spotify offline e.g. music away from their phone, Google Spotify offline wear os. There is an app thats the full Spotify app for wear os. It's a little tedious but allows you download playlists and albums for listening to on a run etc

statto25 wrote: »
    For anyone that wants Spotify offline e.g. music away from their phone, Google Spotify offline wear os. There is an app thats the full Spotify app for wear os. It's a little tedious but allows you download playlists and albums for listening to on a run etc

you sure this isn't just an idea for now?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Mobile-Your-Library-Download-songs-on-WearOS/idi-p/4902489

I remember sideloading the full spotify app on my Huawei watch using ADB before... and could then play music thanks to the SIM card on the watch.

But never offline play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

statto25 wrote: »

It's doable alright but the spotify app isn't optimised for Wear OS so it eats the battery. You won't even get 2 hours out of it. I'll try and transfer some mp3's using Play Music later. I have a spotify family sub so don't really want to change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/d5g9kf/offline_spotify_playlist_on_fossil_gen_5/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

I stuck it on a few days ago and yep it definitely works and it definitely eats battery. It's handy though for runs but prob not for long commutes or long cycles. There was an updated APK in the last few days tidying up the nav buttons at the bottom of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

My watches arrived today and I'm happy with the look, green 43mm is nicer than I thought it would be.

I jumped onto google play music and uploaded some songs, but was not able to download onto the watch. Did some googling and it seems this feature no longer works, major disappointment if that is the case. Had hoped to be able to run without my phone.

My watches arrived today and I'm happy with the look, green 43mm is nicer than I thought it would be.

I jumped onto google play music and uploaded some songs, but was not able to download onto the watch. Did some googling and it seems this feature no longer works, major disappointment if that is the case. Had hoped to be able to run without my phone.

Install NavExplorer app.
    Connect to the watch via explorer on your pc by entering the FTP address.
    Upload songs.
    Install Music Player for Wear app.

Play dem songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Install NavExplorer app.
    Connect to the watch via explorer on your pc by entering the FTP address.
    Upload songs.
    Install Music Player for Wear app.

Play dem songs!

Did download wear media to try but actually just got the google play music to work now!

TIP: For anyone trying to download and getting an error, I cleared the google play music app data. Settings>App&Notification>AppInfo
    Went back into the app after and was able to download my playlist. Very happy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    I suppose people accept the draw backs for wearing a tiny computer on their arm tbh.

Expectations.... Like what are your expectations? A week battery from a GPS, heart monitor, voice controlled ,bt capable music and podcast player with touchscreen but fits happily in a tiny package on your wrist..... It's not 2030 yet.

Would gladly accept a larger watch.

I’m using the Fitbit charge 2, it piggybacks off the phones GPS. Battery lasts shy of a week. The new charge 4 has an inbuilt GPS battery lasts a fraction of the time. Not a chance I’d upgrade.

Advertisement