Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil Sport Smartwatch: £62.30

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

listermint wrote: »
    Looks like Google pay is now officially supported in Ireland. Got this available just recently with latest Fossil Wear OS update. Couple of things to do for setup but pay now appears in the top menu slide down bar.

Build pxde.201206.004.A1

Let us know how you get on with a payment... won't get a chance to test mine for a while as I just completed the weekly shop yesterday :D

Also worth checking if it works without the phone, as that's how my old Huawei watch did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Is there a new way of loading music now that Google Play Music is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

Folks if anyone interested I'll be selling my one. Haven't used it in ten months.

Reason for selling: have discovered that I much prefer running in silence, hence no requirement for smartwatch.

I loaded MP3s onto mine, is that something that would interest you?

I can try to dig up some details on how I did it as I only did it once last year when I bought the watch, but I've been happy with the same playlist ever since and never added more

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mrcheez wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with a payment... won't get a chance to test mine for a while as I just completed the weekly shop yesterday :D

Also worth checking if it works without the phone, as that's how my old Huawei watch did it

I'd be surprised if it could but maybe offline small transactions are covered by pay conditions. No idea

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it could but maybe offline small transactions are covered by pay conditions. No idea

I was able to do this on my Huawei watch, which was always able to work with Google Pay, without the phone having to be nearby.

I think it stores a token on the watch and that's sufficient to approve transactions.
    On nights out I was able to buy several beers with just the watch on my wrist and the phone not on me. Very handy.

Hopefully the same with the Fossil watch.

wear media app on wear os to play but before that you have to get the mp3 files to the watch

nav explorer to receive ftp files from say a laptop

read the FAQ

http://turndapage.com/navexplorer/#FAQ

use an ftp client on windows 10

if you already have google pay set up on your phone do those settings just follow through to the watch?

edit - just select previously set-up card yes and verify by text message. have to put a screen-lock on the watch

watch seems to be running like dogsh1t since the update though... hope that rectifies itself....

about time pay that wear os has been extended beyond the heretofore tiny number of countries

probably more to do with the launch of Google's own watch being on the horizon than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wonder if this has anything to do with Google I/O today?

Can't wait to try it.

watch really gone to sh1t after the update - not really usable

finally got the watch back working - had to uninstall any app that seemed like it was starting up with the watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've been using Huawei Gt2 for the last few months. Might go back to the fossil if Google pay is now supported.
    Is it dependant on which bank you're with?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Have got pay working without updating software, from what I can see its a server side update and if this is the case, should work on any wear os watch with NFC

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I've been using Huawei Gt2 for the last few months. Might go back to the fossil if Google pay is now supported.
    Is it dependant on which bank you're with?

No once a bank works with Google pay, it will work on wear os

swampy353 wrote: »
    Have got pay working without updating software, from what I can see its a server side update and if this is the case, should work on any wear os watch with NFC

there is also some (recent) update if you check updates in settings -> system -> about-> update but obviously not required for pay

not sure when it dates from but must be recent enough as I think that I checked it a while ago

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its not working for me...It just says google pay is not available in your country - please try back later.

Not working again, had card added etc yesterday, this morning, Google pay not available in your country, check back again soon.

Could be that it might launch officially soon

yes pay icon gone from the shortcuts menu

must have been some sort of test

it's coming though
    Google Pay on Wear OS will also be expanded to support 37 countries and more than 200 transit systems around the world. Google’s goal is to have it supported as well as it is on phones. The new countries include the United Arab Emirates, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Taiwan, and Ukraine. This expansion will roll out in late May/early June.

https://www.androidauthority.com/wear-os-update-1225683/

also but assume that fossil gen 4 won't get this...? or will it
    Despite the tumultuous last few years for the smartwatch platform, Google remains committed to Wear OS and smartwatches in general. During its Google I/O 2021 keynote, the company announced a long-overdue update to Wear OS, which should be coming to existing smartwatches later this year.

Performance on the new Wear OS will be improved. Apps should launch up to 30% faster than they do on the current build of Wear OS. That’s great news, considering app performance is another one of Wear OS’ pain points.

I imagine that Fossil gen 4 won't be updated as Fossil have already stopped supporting it

Unless custom roms start coming to wear os or something - unlikely.
    Kilburn didn't confirm what chipsets these watches will have, though. "We're very focused on using the latest chipsets for wearables. And a lot of the choices around what chipsets are actually used will be down to The OEM's choice," he said. Also, not all Wear OS watches may make the leap to these next-gen and more premium-sounding features and software. "Whether those existing devices get upgraded or not, will be a function of a few different things. It will depend on whether the hardware itself can support the upgrade, and it will be a function of whether the OEM chooses to do the upgrade," said Kilburn.

Advertisement