Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ah jaysus this is great craic altogether.
    Finished the tutorials so thought id fly from Baldonnel to Dublin airport for a short run in the noob plane Cessna 152 i think its called.
    What should of been a short hop took well over an hour as i got totally distracted flying all around Dublin a few times then out to howth to approach Dublin Airport.
    Im a total noob but its mighty enjoyable, just found my old logitech 3D Pro Joystick too, gonna sort it out later :)
    Gonna fly from Dublin past my place in Monasterevin later during rush hour traffic above the M7 :p
    Heres my first landing in Dublin and first non tutorial flight, got distracted looking at the terminals and almost blew it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tried the command prompt setting, tried deleting the Flight Sim folder from the Users/AppData/Microsoft folder, tried deleting the few 2GB files in the Flight Sim directory folder. Still downloading at a pathetic speed.

Going to bring the PC into the living room to plug directly into the modem, but the office has a 75Mb powerline connection and it's barely using 20Mb.

I'm afraid to even try downloading city data when I eventually get into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Nice landing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRbPYCSUZwU

Francis Higgins doing this as Shlug now. It's a great stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

81.png

Just got going with it, it's really nice in fairness :cool: Physics seem a lot different coming from X-plane but maybe I just need to get used to the bouncy camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I'm having a hard time running this :( Can only run it on Low settings so far.

I found these minimum/recommended/ideal specs on reddit, and comparing them to mine. The Windows build was a quick fix, it's updating now. It seems my CPU might be where I'm getting screwed mostly, but that's obviouly a very expensive thing to change. Would a RAM upgrade have any impact?

Minimum Recommended Ideal Mine
    OS Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1803
    CPU Intel i5-4460 Intel i5-8400 Intel i7-9800X Intel i5-4690
    GPU Nvidia GTX 770 Nvidia GTX 970 Nvidia RTX 2080 Nvidia GTX 970
    VRAM 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB
    RAM 8GB 16GB 32GB 16GB
    HDD 150GB 150GB 150GB 150GB
    Bandwidth 5Mbps 20Mbps 50Mbps ~32Mbps

Edit: Oof I just saw this post on mobile and the table is not having a good time. My CPU is an Intel i5-4690, RAM is 16GB, GPU is GTX 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Conchir wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time running this :( Can only run it on Low settings so far.

I found these minimum/recommended/ideal specs on reddit, and comparing them to mine. The Windows build was a quick fix, it's updating now. It seems my CPU might be where I'm getting screwed mostly, but that's obviouly a very expensive thing to change. Would a RAM upgrade have any impact?

Minimum Recommended Ideal Mine
    OS Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1909 Windows 10 v 1803
    CPU Intel i5-4460 Intel i5-8400 Intel i7-9800X Intel i5-4690
    GPU Nvidia GTX 770 Nvidia GTX 970 Nvidia RTX 2080 Nvidia GTX 970
    VRAM 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB
    RAM 8GB 16GB 32GB 16GB
    HDD 150GB 150GB 150GB 150GB
    Bandwidth 5Mbps 20Mbps 50Mbps ~32Mbps

Edit: Oof I just saw this post on mobile and the table is not having a good time. My CPU is an Intel i5-4690, RAM is 16GB, GPU is GTX 970.

TBH both the CPU and GPU are getting on a bit :( There might be some bargains to be had when the new GPUs come out in a months time. To switch the CPU (I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X from AMD) would mean swapping the Motherboard and RAM also.

32MB RAM is the idea but I don't think you'd benefit as it's probably not your bottle neck.

The other option would be a 4770 or 4790 i7 which might garner some extra performance but they tend to be over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

NEEDS HELICOPTERS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Hold on for the new GPUs out next month. My poor 5700XT is pegged at 100% utilisation.
    *Screams in RX 480*
    hPilNcP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

TBH both the CPU and GPU are getting on a bit :( There might be some bargains to be had when the new GPUs come out in a months time. To switch the CPU (I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X from AMD) would mean swapping the Motherboard and RAM also.

32MB RAM is the idea but I don't think you'd benefit as it's probably not your bottle neck.

The other option would be a 4770 or 4790 i7 which might garner some extra performance but they tend to be over priced.

I've a new pc build with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb RAM and a gigabyte rx 5700 xt. Its running great on ultra settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

That's what I feared. Thanks for the advice, I've some thinking to do now it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone having issues with Live Weather?

Cork was showing clear skies when I had live enabled which clearly isn't right!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Live Weather?

Cork was showing clear skies when I had live enabled which clearly isn't right!

The Shannon weather radar is down afaik.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's good fun, but I remembered why I had to stop playing the previous one, it's very difficult to play without a proper hotas.

Using a controller is super difficult to keep things smooth.

Think I'll hold off playing any more til I buy a hotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

awec wrote: »
    It's good fun, but I remembered why I had to stop playing the previous one, it's very difficult to play without a proper hotas.

I have to Hold off also. Mine is old and required manual axis assignments. Something is not right because if i turn a direction and centre my stick(saitek ST290 PRO), the aircraft stick stays in the direction it went. I have to go the opposite way to pull it back centre. and it takes a few attempts. Not ideal when trying to line up an A320 into LCY :D the stick was purchased in 2004 for FS 2004.

Think ill get the airbus one when its released next month and stick with P3D until then.

I have to Hold off also. Mine is old and required manual axis assignments. Something is not right because if i turn a direction and centre my stick(saitek ST290 PRO), the aircraft stick stays in the direction it went. I have to go the opposite way to pull it back centre. and it takes a few attempts. Not ideal when trying to line up an A320 into LCY :D the stick was purchased in 2004 for FS 2004.

Think ill get the airbus one when its released next month and stick with P3D until then.
    Thinking the same, this one looks really good for the price, tempted to pre-order on Amazon.

The controller seems to allow for drift or something, it's awkward to try hold it in one hand while simultaneously using kb/m to try look at instrument panel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Enjoying this so far, lots of little annoyances mainly Shannon airport being a mess, but apart from that it's fantastic and oh so pretty

Love the live player traffic too, my favorite moment so far is landing the Icon A5 on Lough Cummeenapeasta near Carrantuohill

That seems to be more of an A320 thing than a stick thing. It reminds me of the 737 when you put on Control wheel steering: The autopilot holds the plane in whatever direction you pointed it, never centering. I'm finding a whole plethora of problems with the A320, biggest of which is that APPR mode never shows the Glideslope on the PFD.

I'd bet that your stick will work normally with a GA plane.

Taking a shot at fixing up Knock now that I've discovered the developer tools and SDK but this is WAY trickier than using WorldEditor for X-Plane...

OxFKWzv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    That seems to be more of an A320 thing than a stick thing. It reminds me of the 737 when you put on Control wheel steering: The autopilot holds the plane in whatever direction you pointed it, never centering. I'm finding a whole plethora of problems with the A320, biggest of which is that APPR mode never shows the Glideslope on the PFD.

I'd bet that your stick will work normally with a GA plane.

It was the same until i turned the flight dynamics i think it was to Legacy mode instead of modern. the GA seemed to react better.

We will be waiting a while for A320 from aerosoft, its number 3 on Aerosofts to do ist.

• Advertisement

I took out my old joystick yesterday only to find its turning to the right all the time as if right rudder direction is constantly at 10 - 20 percent, gutted!
    Ive updated drivers etc but no joy so im using an xbox controler and doing ok.
    I turned all axis sensitivity to -75% and added a small 2% deadzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Thinking the same, this one looks really good for the price, tempted to pre-order on Amazon.

The controller seems to allow for drift or something, it's awkward to try hold it in one hand while simultaneously using kb/m to try look at instrument panel etc.

Was looking at the same set myself. I'm completly new when it comes to flight sims and these extra pieces of equipment.

How many 3 pin power and usb connections would be required for one of those.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Was looking at the same set myself. I'm completly new when it comes to flight sims and these extra pieces of equipment.

It won't require external power, it'd be USB powered, and I think it's just 1 USB, at least it just lists 1 USB in the box contents.

But not sure how that would work, maybe the throttle has a wire into the stick which then goes into your PC.

Or maybe the listing is wrong, and it's 1 USB per-item.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

What is the item you guys are talking about?
    I dont see any link or mention :o

Dcully wrote: »
    What is the item you guys are talking about?
    I dont see any link or mention :o

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086J6KWTZ?pf_rd_r=4Y4989E5H4JX7WQMCDA9&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I'll have to watch that later. I assume there'll be some flaws with it given the price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It won't require external power, it'd be USB powered, and I think it's just 1 USB, at least it just lists 1 USB in the box contents.

But not sure how that would work, maybe the throttle has a wire into the stick which then goes into your PC.

Or maybe the listing is wrong, and it's 1 USB per-item.

No external power is a big seller for me. Will watch the review later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

FFS now I want a third set of plastic paraphernalia.

X52 for Elite Dangerous and DCS
    Yoke and throttle etc for the piston props and now this for pretending I work for RyanAir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Ciano35 wrote: »
    81.png

Just got going with it, it's really nice in fairness :cool: Physics seem a lot different coming from X-plane but maybe I just need to get used to the bouncy camera.

Lots of work for you to do in this new Sim! Can't wait to get a proper version of EIDW, EISG, EICK etc

Advertisement