Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What if the other half of the draw is still at the semi-final stage though? You are in your first final in 60 years but the opposition hasn't been decided yet. It would seem incredibly harsh for that to be cancelled on you.
    Sure it can be ran in just two weekends!
    (You know where this leads)
    I doubt that there are many counties who split their semi finals on separate weekends. Most, if not all, would play their semi finals on the same weekend.
    Ahh sure it's at the quarter final stage. Just three weekends. Then there is an outbreak in one of the clubs and everything is put on hold again!!!!

I can see the case where it is a straight final for the game to be played. Winner decided on the day scenario. Outbreak in one of the clubs the week of the game results in the game being awarded to the other side with no giving out or arguments would have to be case.
    If there was an outbreak in one of the clubs, then we'd have the same scenario if the 2021 championships were started.
    Because you then will have people going. If one team was in a final and there was just a semi final to be played and then its just a semi final and a final so 2 games in total and then its 2 semis and a final to be played etc etc.

Easier and better to just say that the competitions for 2020 will be incomplete. If a competition hasnt reached the final then nobody is declared winner for 2020. If 2 teams have reached a final and it wasnt played then just share the trophy
    It might be tough on some clubs but thats life. These are unprecedented times. Think its far better to just move on with 2021 competitions
    With respect, that doesn't make sense. If a county wants to void their 2020 championship, then that's up to their county board and the clubs. But don't force every county to do so. 2021 championships (whenever they start) won't be started without any preparation. Whether it's league games or challenge games, clubs will have a few weeks preparation to get some game time under their belts. It would be very easy to fit unfinished 2020 championship finals (or even semi finals) into these preparation weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

I think the reason why the GAA weren't too pushed on starting this season has been revealed:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0216/1197433-gaa-suffers-34m-loss-despite-government-support/
    There's no way they'd be able to sustain similar losses this year.

I think comments on restricting inter county panel numbers is a positive but they should also be looking at limiting back room staff as part of the attempt to cut spending on inter county preparations. There are a few counties spending far too much.

That's a positive to take out of on obviously negative overall report. At best, there will be limited numbers allowed to attend matches at any stage this year so there will be more losses obviously. I think it might be best just to look at running club and county competitions from July onwards and put it off before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Enquiring wrote: »
    I think comments on restricting inter county panel numbers is a positive but they should also be looking at limiting back room staff as part of the attempt to cut spending on inter county preparations. There are a few counties spending far too much.

That's a positive to take out of on obviously negative overall report. At best, there will be limited numbers allowed to attend matches at any stage this year so there will be more losses obviously. I think it might be best just to look at running club and county competitions from July onwards and put it off before then.

Some article a few months back mentioned a limit of 32 players for county panels and 9 for management/backroom staff - this was in terms of who would be allowed/eligible for expenses under the centrally administered mileage/food expenses. The article seemed to suggest that counties would be allowed have more than this but would have to meet the cost for any additional players or staff themselves as opposed to from central GAA funds .

I remember thinking that there were probably a fair few counties [lower-tier hurling counties especially] where having expenses met for 32 players and 9 backroom staff would be an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,895 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PTH2009 wrote: »

Passed by a few weeks ago and a lot of the adjoining units are also gone or in the process of being cleared.

Students of DCU, Pats and Marino will have less places to go now whenever life gets back to normal.

• Advertisement

Seems to be no mention of the GAA getting the Elite status back

So irritating that the GAA lifted the spirits last year and was a little thing to look forward too

So irritating that the GAA lifted the spirits last year and was a little thing to look forward too

No funding is available from government and no appetite from HQ to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Very unlikely it will get it back.
    GAA in many ways was lucky to have the elite status when you looked at most of the other athletes who were regarded as elite - professional, mainly full time athletes who's sole work is the sport and are not going into all kinds of workplaces etc

Not much appetite from GAA HQ either considering games would be behind closed doors so waiting longer in hope you can get some crowds in is probably a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tbf, under the new plan, all sport should be cancelled in level 5. Includes 6 nations rugby, LOI soccer and horse racing even behind closed doors. They are only exempt in level 4. Inter county GAA is also exempt under level 4 so they're right in line with pro sports and we have zero room to complain imo.

It'll be interesting to see what goes ahead and when the new level 5 comes into effect.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbf, under the new plan, all sport should be cancelled in level 5. Includes 6 nations rugby, LOI soccer and horse racing even behind closed doors. They are only exempt in level 4. Inter county GAA is also exempt under level 4 so they're right in line with pro sports and we have zero room to complain imo.

It'll be interesting to see what goes ahead and when the new level 5 comes into effect.

Taoiseach said at the presser that elite sports will be occurring.

• Advertisement

Taoiseach said at the presser that elite sports will be occurring.

Yeah, I was just basing it on what was in the "living with covid" plan that Gav Reilly tweeted. See he followed up a few mins ago. Further evidence that they're still making it up as they go along.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1364298394152415233?s=19

Also, I want the GAA back as much as the next person but you can't class it as elite sport because of the obvious fact that you cant isolate players and create bubbles like pro sports can. Its unfortunate but not a lot we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Also, I want the GAA back as much as the next person but you can't class it as elite sport because of the obvious fact that you cant isolate players and create bubbles like pro sports can. Its unfortunate but not a lot we can do.

I agree with you but I find it hard to see how LoI can be classed as an elite sport. Maybe I am wrong but I would have assumed that there are quite a number of LoI players that are semi-professional with other jobs?

It wasn't a problem last Autumn/Winter

It wasn't a problem last Autumn/Winter

If if hasn't quite made it onto your radar yet, things are a slight bit different now.

If if hasn't quite made it onto your radar yet, things are a slight bit different now.

Thanks for saving me the bother. You'd have to wonder about some people at this stage.

I agree with you but I find it hard to see how LoI can be classed as an elite sport. Maybe I am wrong but I would have assumed that there are quite a number of LoI players that are semi-professional with other jobs?

Yeah, I agree. It's a shambles. Sure the lads making these decisions don't even know what they're at themselves.

Upper end of the premier division would mostly be professional. I'd be quite familiar with Dundalk and they are all professional.

Now the first division really can't be classified as professional in any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Club football back to level 3 restrictions. It will be the summer before such restrictions are in place. Inter County can go ahead in level 4 restrictions.

A possibility of?

NFL and NHL - May and June
    Club county championships July, August, September

All Ireland football and hurling championships with some supporters at games in October, November, December.

Club football back to level 3 restrictions. It will be the summer before such restrictions are in place. Inter County can go ahead in level 4 restrictions.

A possibility of?

All Ireland football and hurling championships with some supporters at games in October, November, December.

I'd accept that but think all inter county will be first with it over by September with clubs from then on. Provincial and All Ireland clubs will make a return but will spill into 2022

Anyone's guess what will happen really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A possibility of?

Would this be generally seen as preferable to dropping the leagues altogether and playing the inter-counties in the first half of summer and the club championships in the second half? Not sure many people would fancy another winter AIC, even if some spectators can attend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Would this be generally seen as preferable to dropping the leagues altogether and playing the inter-counties in the first half of summer and the club championships in the second half? Not sure many people would fancy another winter AIC, even if some spectators can attend...

I would think a winter championship is acceptable but only if crowds are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I'd accept that but think all inter county will be first with it over by September with clubs from then on. Provincial and All Ireland clubs will make a return but will spill into 2022

That's another possibility but I doubt they'll leave club teams that long waiting for championship action.

On the inter County scene HQ are determined to get this B All-Ireland up and running and in order to do that they'll have to play some sort of league first, probably sticking with "Regional" NFL.

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to let clubs go that late in the year when the evenings are getting darker and weather is getting worse. You'd have issues with unplayable pitches and floodlights which would mean trying to squeeze games into weekends which presents a problem with referee availability in some counties.

I'd also be in favour of forgetting about provincial and club all Ireland again this year. Just get county championship back at some stage.

The Leagues should of been starting this weekend

Bloody virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Vaccine roll out still very slow https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0303/1200589-coronavirus-vaccine/

The Johnson /Johnson one shot vaccine would help if it gets approved in April

rrs wrote: »
    Vaccine roll out still very slow https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0303/1200589-coronavirus-vaccine/

The Johnson /Johnson one shot vaccine would help if it gets approved in April

Yeah hopefully

Would of thought the GAA have a fixture list done up incorporating a few start dates

Is this one of the longest breaks Intercounty players have had ? I'm sure there doing individual training at home but I doubt it's nothing compared to collective training

Let's hope by this time next month the situation will be a lot clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I heard of a national school giving football sessions twice a week to 5th and 6th class kids. It's basically the local u12 GAA team. Is this allowed under current rules?

Advertisement