Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

dobman88 wrote: »
    The original target of March has been pushed out to mid May unfortunately.
    That's for over 70s. I believe over 80s and those in care homes to be vaccinated is still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

That's for over 70s. I believe over 80s and those in care homes to be vaccinated is still on track.

I haven't seen that but hope you're right. All I've seen mentioned is over 70s and they seem happy to have some kind of lockdown/restrictions until that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rrs

Fergal Bowers has a graph of it on Twitter @FergalBowers . 154,900 got the first jab. 88,453 got the second jab so far.

They are vaccinating just over 1,000 per day. The country is getting average of 1 thousand cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very frustrating what's going on, the GAA was one of the bright things that helped in the last lockdown

It's scary what's going on in the country atm and there's no light at the end of the tunnel for some time because of incompetence by our leaders but no its retail and hospitality fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

rrs wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers has a graph of it on Twitter @FergalBowers . 154,900 got the first jab. 88,453 got the second jab so far.

They are vaccinating just over 1,000 per day. The country is getting average of 1 thousand cases a day.

879 is the 7 day average on cases. We'll see where we are on vaccinating situation by the end of next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

879 is the 7 day average on cases. We'll see where we are on vaccinating situation by the end of next month.
    Not very far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thats the problem. If you say its only 2 teams but that could be hundreds of games nationwide.
    Its tough but just move on. You may have a chance to make a final this year. Just have it in the record books if a competition is down to a final that both teams shared the win.

If it's that dangerous to play those "hundreds of games", then the question is really is it safe to return to play at all ?

Playoff any finals that are left, and if any board is insistant on playing off semi-finals finals too, ensure the whole lot is done in the space of a week.
    That won't take too big a chunk out of this year's calender.

Not finishing Championships from last year would put a lot of players off bothering to play this year too, feeling the same will happen okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Big Ears wrote: »
    If it's that dangerous to play those "hundreds of games", then the question is really is it safe to return to play at all ?

Playoff any finals that are left, and if any board is insistant on playing off semi-finals finals too, ensure the whole lot is done in the space of a week.
    That won't take too big a chunk out of this year's calender.

Not finishing Championships from last year would put a lot of players off bothering to play this year too, feeling the same will happen okay.

Im not saying its dangerous to play these games. I dont see why not finishing these competitions would put players off from playing this year.
    Look at what rugby did. They didnt complete leagues last march and there were teams who were almost certainly promoted or promoted already in cases and those promotions didnt happen and it didnt result in large numbers not returning to play for this season.
    The problem is if you say we'll just play these finals. Some will say lets play these semis and then its quarters. sure its only 2/6 extra games.

Just accept last year is concluded. we are 6 weeks into 2021. Last year was unique. Finish with it. Move on and just concentrate on the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I don’t think that a blanket one size fits all is appropriate for the club competitions.
    If there are 3 or 4 rounds left canceling is ok. Where there is only the final left it makes sense to play it and it should be relatively straight forward to accommodate.

I do admit that I am biased as my club is one of the finalists in the Cork Lwr Int final.

What if the other semi-final hasn't been played yet, with you already qualified for the final? Would you like that semi-final to be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Lost Ormond. By any chance is your team/club facing a relegation play off which is why you dont want 2020 competitions completed? :pac:
    Reminds me of how coincidentally a huge number of Man United fans were very insistent on having the Premier League declared null and void back in March and April!

• Advertisement

Reminds me of how coincidentally a huge number of Man United fans were very insistent on having the Premier League declared null and void back in March and April!

If you read a later post of mine i said my club was relegated last year.
    Its ridiculous to try play these finals etc from 2020 now. Just move on. Is it tough maybe is it fair maybe not.

Last year was unprecedented but we shouldnt hold up everything in so many competitions to finish off a few competitions. Just move on. Life isnt always fair.

Its ridiculous to try play these finals etc from 2020 now. Just move on. Is it tough maybe is it fair maybe not.

Last year was unprecedented but we shouldnt hold up everything in so many competitions to finish off a few competitions. Just move on. Life isnt always fair.
    Without wanting to go full Big Lebowski; that's just your opinion.

A hell of lot of people would love to see the competitions completed, not least the clubs themselves plus county competition organisers. A large number of counties have a single weekend's worth of games left to play, I really can't see what the cost would be in holding these finals as soon as club activity resumes. Holding up 2021s competitions by a week is a negligable price to pay.

You're not really presenting any logical reasons for abandoning these competitions, other than repeatedly saying to get over it and deal with it, which aren't really arguments.

Nothing would be held up. Theyd be played a week or 2 before the game start in new season. It means the teams playing in the final would have a week less prep before a game which none of them would complain about

is it fair maybe not.

Just move on. Life isnt always fair.

You said yesterday it was fair for all. Now it's not fair. Which is it?

You said yesterday it was fair for all. Now it's not fair. Which is it?

I think you need to move on from 2020. It was a unique year. We cant just always complete competitions going months and months into the new year. It puts no incentive to organisers or clubs to work harder or better to complete competitions more efficiently.
    At what stage of a competition do we stay stop it and it ends up incomplete for the year and what stage do you finish competitions?
    I dont see why finals should be played when the most important thing is getting people back playing and holding up return of all competitions to play off these finals is a load of nonsense.

I think you need to move on from 2020. It was a unique year. We cant just always complete competitions going months and months into the new year. It puts no incentive to organisers or clubs to work harder or better to complete competitions more efficiently.
    At what stage of a competition do we stay stop it and it ends up incomplete for the year and what stage do you finish competitions?
    I dont see why finals should be played when the most important thing is getting people back playing and holding up return of all competitions to play off these finals is a load of nonsense.
    You really think that if we play 2020 finals in 2021 it'll start a precedent of counties giving up on competition control en masse and starting to let competitions run months over schedule? That's pretty desperate straw grasping.

Say competitive Club GAA action (hypothetically) resumes on the first weekend of July. What are the downsides of us in Meath playing our 2020 hurling finals that weekend, and then starting our 2021 championships the following week?

Im not saying its dangerous to play these games. I dont see why not finishing these competitions would put players off from playing this year.
    Look at what rugby did. They didnt complete leagues last march and there were teams who were almost certainly promoted or promoted already in cases and those promotions didnt happen and it didnt result in large numbers not returning to play for this season.

The problem is if you say we'll just play these finals. Some will say lets play these semis and then its quarters. sure its only 2/6 extra games.

Just accept last year is concluded. we are 6 weeks into 2021. Last year was unique. Finish with it. Move on and just concentrate on the new year.

Most players are looking/hoping to win a Championship. There's plenty of people out there who won't be bothered if they feel (due to Championships not finishing) that, that's not a realistic proposition.
    Rugby returned at a time when numbers were low, and players probably expected they'd be able to finish their season out.
    If you told them at the start, no one will be winning any competitions of any kind this year, you might have seen a much bigger drop off.

I doubt there's many compeitions still with quarter finals to play.
    Loads of Counties are finished, a lot still have County finals still to play, and a few have semi's left. There might be a couple with quarters left, but I personally don't actually know of any other than Mayo, but perhaps you could hihglight a few more ?

The vast majority of competitions could be finished in a single week (even 1 day for many). It would be expected that teams will get a couple of friendly games before they play Championship this year.
    Instead of those clubs playing friendlies why can't they just finish out those Championship matches instead ?
    It'll be the same amount of games in a similar timeframe, you won't be holding anyone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rrs

What's the reason that a lot weren't finished? Obviously some clubs might have had covid cases which would have delayed things like in Longford.. Kildare was in lockdown for a few weeks around August
    Some counties with probaly poor planning? They knew there was a short enough window from July to September/October for club football . Inter County was starting in October

Most players are looking/hoping to win a Championship. There's plenty of people out there who won't be bothered if they feel (due to Championships not finishing) that, that's not a realistic proposition.
    Rugby returned at a time when numbers were low, and players probably expected they'd be able to finish their season out.
    If you told them at the start, no one will be winning any competitions of any kind this year, you might have seen a much bigger drop off.
    I dont think many did and it was expected there would be future disruptions. The AIL is normally an 18 game season and it was changed to a 9 game season with an extended provincial league and there were still large expectation that the season wouldnt be complete.
    People knew it would be like last season. Players also knew that there wasnt going to be any promotion or relegation from before the leagues started and while there was grumblings about it there wasnt any drop off in playing numbers because of it. In fact when rugby returned a lot of clubs saw a decent jump in numbers training and preparing for the season.

I dont think many did and it was expected there would be future disruptions. The AIL is normally an 18 game season and it was changed to a 9 game season with an extended provincial league and there were still large expectation that the season wouldnt be complete.
    People knew it would be like last season. Players also knew that there wasnt going to be any promotion or relegation from before the leagues started and while there was grumblings about it there wasnt any drop off in playing numbers because of it. In fact when rugby returned a lot of clubs saw a decent jump in numbers training and preparing for the season.

I do know of rugby players who weren't bothered going back, but that is purely anecdotal, and without statistics for it, I'll take your word playing numbers were increased. Perhaps a post lockdown bounce like the Gaa got.

However you didn't address the other part of my post.
    Why would you be so against 2020 finals/semi-finals being played instead of Challenge games leading into this year's Championship, if it'll take the same amount of time ?

• Advertisement

I do know of rugby players who weren't bothered going back, but that is purely anecdotal, and without statistics for it, I'll take your word playing numbers were increased. Perhaps a post lockdown bounce like the Gaa got.

However you didn't address the other part of my post.
    Why would you be so against 2020 finals/semi-finals being played instead of Challenge games leading into this year's Championship, if it'll take the same amount of time ?
    Because it isnt necessary to play them. You are comparing them to friendlies played as warm up to the next years competition. How is that doing the competitions any justice?
    How does that do the final, the teams, the competition any justice if theyre playing the games months and months after they played the semi finals with little to no games or much training done before it.
    Just share the titles where teams are at a final and both get recognised for the success in a year with so much disruption and move on to the new years competition

Because it isnt necessary to play them. You are comparing them to friendlies played as warm up to the next years competition. How is that doing the competitions any justice?
    How does that do the final, the teams, the competition any justice if theyre playing the games months and months after they played the semi finals with little to no games or much training done before it.
    Just share the titles where teams are at a final and both get recognised for the success in a year with so much disruption and move on to the new years competition

It's not necessary to play anything (including 2021 games), however the people involved want them played and they'll much prefer they played on short notice with inadequate training than not at all.
    Do you honestly believe those involved would rather share titles (and neither receive promotion if that was a possibility) than one of them actually win it in a game ?
    If you're suggesting promoting two teams btw, that'd cause even more disruption to next years fixtures.

It's nothing new to play Championship games months apart btw. It frequently happens in many counties due to the Inter-County season, and clubs participating in the Provicincial and all Ireland series.
    My own club managed 5 challenge games before Championship this year.
    Teams participating in a County-Final would probably pull that back to 2-3 to reduce the chance of fatigue going into the game, but they'd still have a level of preparation going in.
    I'm not comparing them to friendlies at all either, they're far more important than that, but if people are concerned about it affecting the 2021 season, they have to be played off before that starts, so everything sticks to schedule.
    Replacing the last challenge game or two with the last couple of games of last years schedule is the answer there.

What's the reason that a lot weren't finished? Obviously some clubs might have had covid cases which would have delayed things like in Longford.. Kildare was in lockdown for a few weeks around August
    Some counties with probaly poor planning? They knew there was a short enough window from July to September/October for club football . Inter County was starting in October

I play at low junior level in Meath and everything was on track for us but they switched the football and hurling weekend midway through which left us running a week behind schedule. We won our semi final on the Friday with the final due the following weekend, cessation of games was announced on the Monday. Sick timing considering we would have played the final that weekend had the weekends stayed the same throughout.

So yeah, poor planning it.seems.

You seem to have ignored the post where I mentioned nothing would be held up. The teams in the finals would have a week less to prepare for the new season as they would play the final a week before it starts.

Cancel any competition that is not at the final stage.

When everyone disagrees with you, it's usually a sign you might be slightly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Some counties with probaly poor planning? They knew there was a short enough window from July to September/October for club football . Inter County was starting in October[/QUOTE

In Offaly the season went football weekend, hurling weekend etc.

In each code there was as 2 groups of 4, so 3 group games, semi finals, final. 10 weekends needed in all to complete both codes. However Offaly was put into a 2 week lockdown mid season which paused the championships. So 12 weekends were actually needed and we only got 11 so resultantly the football final got played and the hurling one didn’t.

And obviously a few championship further down the grades weren’t played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think the reason why the GAA weren't too pushed on starting this season has been revealed:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0216/1197433-gaa-suffers-34m-loss-despite-government-support/
    There's no way they'd be able to sustain similar losses this year.

As for the ongoing championships from last year, I don't see why those at the final stages can't be completed. I know in Meath, my own club would be livid if it was cancelled as we're in the senior and junior hurling finals, looking to win our first senior hurling title in nearly 60 years and looking to do the senior hurling and football double. There should be no issue in completing finals in one weekend before the new season starts, whenever that is.
    Championships that still have a number of rounds to play I can understand voiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As for the ongoing championships from last year, I don't see why those at the final stages can't be completed. I know in Meath, my own club would be livid if it was cancelled as we're in the senior and junior hurling finals, looking to win our first senior hurling title in nearly 60 years and looking to do the senior hurling and football double. There should be no issue in completing finals in one weekend before the new season starts, whenever that is.
    Championships that still have a number of rounds to play I can understand voiding them.

What if the other half of the draw is still at the semi-final stage though? You are in your first final in 60 years but the opposition hasn't been decided yet. It would seem incredibly harsh for that to be cancelled on you.
    Sure it can be ran in just two weekends!
    (You know where this leads)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What if the other half of the draw is still at the semi-final stage though? You are in your first final in 60 years but the opposition hasn't been decided yet. It would seem incredibly harsh for that to be cancelled on you.
    Sure it can be ran in just two weekends!
    (You know where this leads)

Ahh sure it's at the quarter final stage. Just three weekends. Then there is an outbreak in one of the clubs and everything is put on hold again!!!!

I can see the case where it is a straight final for the game to be played. Winner decided on the day scenario. Outbreak in one of the clubs the week of the game results in the game being awarded to the other side with no giving out or arguments would have to be case.

I think the reason why the GAA weren't too pushed on starting this season has been revealed:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0216/1197433-gaa-suffers-34m-loss-despite-government-support/
    There's no way they'd be able to sustain similar losses this year.

Because you then will have people going. If one team was in a final and there was just a semi final to be played and then its just a semi final and a final so 2 games in total and then its 2 semis and a final to be played etc etc.

Easier and better to just say that the competitions for 2020 will be incomplete. If a competition hasnt reached the final then nobody is declared winner for 2020. If 2 teams have reached a final and it wasnt played then just share the trophy
    It might be tough on some clubs but thats life. These are unprecedented times. Think its far better to just move on with 2021 competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

madness .all finals from 2020 will be played in 21 sure that happens all the time well before covid. no way any club should let that happen.

Advertisement