Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

Quick question here regarding Outlander reliability.
    I see an older model, 2014 I think, for sale locally.
    The ad mentions renewing the timing chain as well as replacing valves.... anyone aware of such issues being common?
    Or indeed, any other issues typical of the Outlander?

Thanks folks!!

I think I saw that one on DD alright. Never heard of any issues like that with them. A broken timing chain normally causes valve damage so that's the only thing I can think of.

You'd definitely have to ask him what was wrong with it that it needed all that work, and get it inspected if you're interested as no come back for private sale.

I've seen them for sale in UK with over 300000 miles on them so they're able for the long haul.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Outlander makes the news for the wrong reasons. Greta retweeted this story, she wasn't impressed (is she ever?).
    https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/plug-hybrids-new-emissions-scandal-tests-show-higher-pollution-claimed

Summary: if you drive them wrong they are less efficient. Duh.

They could become the automotive version of the betamax video, worse still, the Philips 2000...
    Most people are clued in to the car's abilities so it suits them. It's all about education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It used to be a fairly easy decision - if you did high mileage then buy a diesel, low mileage buy a petrol. When you throw self charge hybrids/plug in hybrid/electric vehicles into the mix it becomes a bit more nuanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sidcon

Took delivery yesterday.
    Love it. No problems pairing the phone, but no ssid for the app (only got 1 key, dealer hoping to have 2nd one in a few weeks, they often sit in their distributors until after sale or something, might ring garage where all past servicing was done to see if they have it on file).
    Got a aftermarket reversing camera fitted (camera in numberplate surround, displays on rear view mirror).
    Experimenting with charging. Wasn't happy to leave it plugged in charging all night (granny charger & ancient home wiring), weather conditions as they were, but was estimating 5 hours for a full charge. As it was I got from "empty" to half charge in just over 2 hours. Main thing is no fault on the charging cable. Will give it full charge on monday when I'm home all day.
    Went to Chademo charger today, 12 mins gave me 60% (from empty) at just over a Euro.
    The beeps are distracting. No idea what they are for. Come at random times, when turning corners, on off ramps or slip roads. I'll get used to them though. Possibly speed warnings, or speed camera warnings, but if you arent showing satnav on screen, could be anything.
    Updated the satnav, maybe. Followed instructions and loaded updated onto SD, inserted same into slot on satnav. Nothing obvious happened. It's a very clanky system.
    Radio is playing music from my spotify through bluetooth. Nice. Vol quite low though, and when you start up after a break, radio kicks in first, at the volume you had the bluetooth music at. No way to stop this when you power up until the radio boots up. Thats about a minute. I'm sure if I read the manual and do some tweaks I'll figure it out.
    Beautiful drive though, enjoying the regen braking. there is a sweet spot where you can maintain forward momentum while still getting regen braking.
    Filled the petrol tank. Looking forward to seeing how long before I have to fill it next.
    All things considered one extremely happy motorist here.
    Your random beeping sounds like lane assist, once you cross a line it will beep if your not indicating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I've had a 2016 Outlander for just over a year, and I'd be interested to know if there's any way to download stats from the car to find out what my mix of petrol/electric driving was? I haven't been keeping a record of what we spent on petrol.

Before buying the car, I had worked out total cost of ownership (fuel, power, tax, charger, maintenance etc) and I'd be interested to know how accurate our guess was.

Is there any such app?

I see https://phevwatchdog.net/ which can show realtime data and archive/log; maybe that's the closest option to what I'm looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

edanto wrote: »
    I've had a 2016 Outlander for just over a year, and I'd be interested to know if there's any way to download stats from the car to find out what my mix of petrol/electric driving was? I haven't been keeping a record of what we spent on petrol.

Before buying the car, I had worked out total cost of ownership (fuel, power, tax, charger, maintenance etc) and I'd be interested to know how accurate our guess was.

Is there any such app?

I see https://phevwatchdog.net/ which can show realtime data and archive/log; maybe that's the closest option to what I'm looking for?

Yeah, PHEV watchdog will give you all that type of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I believe your missing nothing, its wifi with poor range and the app is not great, I could be wrong,

phevwatchdog is interesting but I could not get it to run with my phone on, so on long trips I don't bother with it,

Yeah, I don't think i'll bother. Been doing it old school for years (record fuel-ups, put on spreadsheet) will continue this way. Going to monitor my charging at home too, watch if there is much extra load on the system. The plug gets "warm" when charging but nothing else does.

I use the Road Trip app to track fuel usage (and used to track servicing on the old car when I serviced it myself). You can backup to the cloud and export as CSV etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Yeah, I don't think i'll bother. Been doing it old school for years (record fuel-ups, put on spreadsheet) will continue this way. Going to monitor my charging at home too, watch if there is much extra load on the system. The plug gets "warm" when charging but nothing else does.

Be interesting to see if there's much on an impact on your bills. Please let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Gave it a full uninterrupted charge today using the Granny Charger. Slightly less than 5 hours it took, and showing 28 miles battery range on the guessometer. Does that sound normal ?(in reality I'm getting far more than that, lots of nice B5 hills near me)

Similar mileage here. It’d be great to share a route planning app which maximised B5. #b5ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

35.21mpg recorded today, after first fill since new (from full).
    During that time I have mostly been :
    Heating on in morning to defrost (ICE required)
    Numerous motorway trips(no greater than 20km), either using "charge" or "save".
    Finding reasons to go for drives...

Must do better. Have more confidence in granny charger now so will use it more overnight.

If you're only going to travel 20KM in one go then I would recommend you use EV mode so that the whole trip is on battery.

I had thought Mitsubishi learned the lesson of the gh3 and fitted a resistance heater to other models, if the kotu has no timed heater then you have one option, turn off the heat, the engine will not start if the demister is set to 15c but feck me thats cold.

So the last 2 mornings I start the car and turn on the heating, come out 5 minutes later and with a clear window turn off the heater and proceed to do the school run with engine off, getting over 100 mpg with a 10 km trip.

On your motor way trips, I would not press charge or save, if you want heat turn it on, the engine will only work to maintain the temp.

Got my 172 GX4H delivered to the door yesterday (thanks Phil), so many buttons and settings, I'm nearly afraid to go at anything! Nice upgrade from the Auris :D.

Any tips/tricks you lads recommend for a fella starting off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've set my heater to turn on at 8.20 that way when we leave the house at 8.30 the car is warm and the window is clear and we don't need the engine at all.

Read a lot of the manual. (not all).
    Pair your phone, then plug it in the USB slot in the centre storage (under the elbow rest), to let Android Audio wake up.
    Go for a nice relaxing drive then, to get used to the luxury. It's a huge change from an Auris. Parking will be intimidating at first.

I've only been able to take one spin in it so far due to me having to stay home and finish college assignments (why did I go back!) but I paired my android phone by bluetooth then plugged into the centre storage but got nothing on the screen and nothing on the phone bar the prompt to charge or file transfer etc. Maybe it's my phone but I'm just wondering should it say somewhere its compatible with AA or carplay?

Anything 2017 on has Android Audio, but you need to give it permissions etc. Power up car, plug it in, let it wake up. The icon on your Car's menu screen should change from grey (to not grey). For me it was purely plug and play. Defaulted to Google Navigator with Spotify secondary.

Only the Kotu/Jiro model had android/apple for 2017 (forget which one). All the other standard GX models still have the old MMCS - which is a pain in the hole. The android/apple link only became standard from 2018 on

Only the Kotu/Jiro model had android/apple for 2017 (forget which one). All the other standard GX models still have the old MMCS - which is a pain in the hole. The android/apple link only became standard from 2018 on
    Mine is a GX4H from Oct 2017, I don't see Kotu/Jiro anywhere but I haven't looked at the manual yet. Could be just my phone as well, I was reading afterwards that my model (Poco F2 Pro) has issues with AA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Considering a purchase of an Outlander in early 2021. Will be looking in the 15-18k range approximately.

There seems to be a mix of models falling into that bracket - GX3H, 4H, 5H? And I see there is Juro / Kotu also?

What's the best of the bunch?

Vikings wrote: »
    There seems to be a mix of models falling into that bracket - GX3H, 4H, 5H? And I see there is Juro / Kotu also?

What's the best of the bunch?

I'd avoid the GX3H as it doesn't have heated seats or steering wheel as standard, and you will miss these in winter.

It also lacks the full leather, sunroof, touch screen radio, motorised boot, LED headlights and parking cameras you'd get in the 4H up.

I'm not 100% sure on Juro/Kotu spec, but I'd guess they're slightly above your budget of 18K.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My research so far, albeit brief, has me looking at a 2017 onwards 4H model. However much it costs to find the right one.

Is there any significant differences between the 2017 model and older model? Software, battery etc?

How does one generally look at the mileage and service history on a phev such as the outlander?

If I'm looking at a 4/5 year old car with 80-100k km, how do I know how much of that has been done on EV and how much on IC?

Does a battery that has moved the car on EV alone for 50k pose any concerns that one that has only been used for 10k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭iniall

Wonder what effect Mitsubishi's exit from Europe will have on the Outlander's resale value...?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/mitsubishi-leaves-with-a-legacy-of-broken-electric-dreams-behind-it-1.4439457

iniall wrote: »
    Wonder what effect Mitsubishi's exit from Europe will have on the Outlander's resale value...?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/mitsubishi-leaves-with-a-legacy-of-broken-electric-dreams-behind-it-1.4439457

Short to medium term I think Brexit will have a bigger influence as it has become more expensive to import from the U.K. and I’d say the vast majority of used Outlanders are imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sidcon

Yeah, we didn't have as many versions early on, and we didn't have the Green incentives the UK hybrids did.
    They will still come in, but they may be more expensive.

Not what I wanted to hear, was hoping they would start coming down in price, have money burning a hole but set budget and should have really bought in December.
    Looking at 181 with max budget 25k

sidcon wrote: »
    Not what I wanted to hear, was hoping they would start coming down in price, have money burning a hole but set budget and should have really bought in December.
    Looking at 181 with max budget 25k

Sorry to bring more bad news, vrt is up also, I paid vrt of 1500 euro nearly 2 years ago, same spec, miles, age, etc. vrt is now 1250 euro.

I am getting a rate of 9%, I don't know if outlanders can get the 7% rate.

Maybe a Kia niro? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-phev-s-a/26377719, a little over budget and I don't like the interior on that one, I did not look that hard maybe better deals on other brands.

I reset the battery on my 2015 outlander yesterday, state of charge was at 32.8 Ah, when new its 38 Ah, last time I did a reset was 8 Aug. 2020, at the moment its at 37.9 Ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I reset the battery on my 2015 outlander yesterday, state of charge was at 32.8 Ah, when new its 38 Ah, last time I did a reset was 8 Aug. 2020, at the moment its at 37.9 Ah.

How did you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kanuseeme wrote: »

Does it actually improve real world range though?

I know you could do something similar in the Leaf and reset its health status back to 100% but it was short lived and didnt really improve range, just its displayed health.

This Outlander reset seems to be similar in that it eventually goes back to where it was anyway. Ultimately the battery is the same after this reset and the BMS will stop you from over charging/disharging the battery.

If its an actual BMS bug in the Outlander they should fix it (they did in the 30kWh Leaf). It would be a good news story... Mitsubishi could do with it! :pac:

You will need phev watch dog. check SOC before you start and DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Press the start button twice without foot on brake.

2. Turn on AC, lights etc to lower the 12v battery, Voltage starts at 13.7, while waiting loosen the nut on the negative clamp on the 12v battery

3. At around 8.8 volts errors start appearing on the dash, Check braking system etc.

4. Turn off car, if possible, if not pull negative clamp from battery,

5. Plug in charge cable.

6. Put negative clamp back on, you will hear relays click, more like a dull thud. I count 2 and disconnect the negative.

7. Car will start charging. Without the negative being connected. leave for a few minutes.

8. Disconnect charger and put the negative back on. Turn on car and check phev watch dog. It will show 40 Ah as some cars came were sold with that much. It will then drop to 38 Ah.
    An error will appear, check EV system. turn off car and turn back on. it will disappear.

It took me many attempts to do it right, now its a 15 minute job, most of it waiting on the 12v to drop voltage.

As for possible damage to 12v battery, mine is 6 years old now, so its not a concern to me.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Does it actually improve real world range though?

I know you could do something similar in the Leaf and reset its health status back to 100% but it was short lived and didnt really improve range, just its displayed health.

This Outlander reset seems to be similar in that it eventually goes back to where it was anyway. Ultimately the battery is the same after this reset and the BMS will stop you from over charging/disharging the battery.

If its an actual BMS bug in the Outlander they should fix it (they did in the 30kWh Leaf). It would be a good news story... Mitsubishi could do with it! :pac:

Yes its a BMS bug, constant drops of .1 and .5 Ah's every so often.

It will cost Mitsubishi money to fix, they just reset it themselves if you complain enough and do nothing then after warranty is out.

When its done to the leaf, Does it take more time to charge and more kWh?

On the outlander it will get an extra 1.5 kWhs at a rapid charger, not that many here will see it as a good thing. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Helen82

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?
    I am considering buying a second hand one, but need to know about battery replacement, the cost and how often etc. I've never owned a hybrid or an Outlander.
    Is it a good buy or would it be best to get something else?
    Any help would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ��

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

Does anyone know the average mileage we get from electric battery alone in 2017 model? The one that i have seen was showing only 16 Miles after the battery is charged full.
    I know it varies depending on our driving style, outside temp etc but what will it show when we start the car after charging it full.
    Thanks.

The number it shows is a guess (hence people calling it a Guess-o-meter, or GOM). I've seen 16 miles in the winter, but always get more than that. If you are running the aircon it will drop the number (try turning it on and off and watch the range). Even if you are only running the fan, it will drop, but it doesn't effect your actual range. It's also effected by the range on the last drive, so if you do a long downhill and recharge the battery, you could see a 70 mile range.

I'd say real life is 20 miles winter/35 miles summer (based on 90% battery health)

Helen82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

My pros: Great space and great economy, comfortable and easy to drive.

My cons: The base spec model can be a bit cold in winter as it relies on the engine for heat, go for the spec that includes heated seats, heated steering wheel and remote climate control that heats up the car automatically before you leave.

I am considering buying a second hand one, but need to know about battery replacement, the cost and how often etc. I've never owned a hybrid or an Outlander.

That shouldn't be an issue, as someone else said, it would be comparable to changing an engine. A relative has a 142 with nearly 200000km on it and no problems with the battery. I've seen some for sale in the UK with 300000 miles on them.

Is it a good buy or would it be best to get something else?
    Any help would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ��

As with any PHEV it comes down to your usage. If the majority of your driving is short range school runs with the odd long journey it's ideal.

Have a read here for more. https://www.parkers.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

When it comes to service ( lot of stuff to go wrong in the car :( ) what is the position ?

(a) Do people rate the dealers as competent ?

(b) Have people found any competent indies ?

(c) How long does it take for parts to be got ? ( are any stocked in Ireland ? )

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »
    When it comes to service ( lot of stuff to go wrong in the car :( ) what is the position ?

(a) Do people rate the dealers as competent ?

(b) Have people found any competent indies ?

(c) How long does it take for parts to be got ? ( are any stocked in Ireland ? )

I’ve used Westbrook and found them to be excellent. I have ordered parts and had them the next day so that’s not an issue. No idea about indies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JeffHunter

Are people worried about the fact that Mitsubishi have left Europe?

I've been looking at Outlanders but if getting parts is going to be tough in future, I'm wondering if they're worth it?

JeffHunter wrote: »

I've been looking at Outlanders but if getting parts is going to be tough in future, I'm wondering if they're worth it?

They have committed to supplying parts for 10 years. I’m not too worried as they seem pretty reliable in any case.

JeffHunter wrote: »

No, it wouldn't worry me. If there's a market for parts somebody will always supply it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

Quick question:

I'm looking at a 2015 pre facelift GX 4H.

I just want to be 100% sure, this can heat the car in winter through an electric heater, ie without the engine coming on when driving?

I bought a GX 3H some years ago and the engine had to fire up every time you wanted to heat the car. As I was only ever doing short trips within EV range this ruined it for me, as the engine would just be running constantly when I was driving it.

At the time I thought I read that the GX 4H could heat the car without the engine coming on, just wanted to be sure before buying another one!

Thanks

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »

I just want to be 100% sure, this can heat the car in winter through an electric heater, ie without the engine coming on when driving?
    At the time I thought I read that the GX 4H could heat the car without the engine coming on, just wanted to be sure before buying another one!

The GX4H has electric preheat. You can set the car to preheat before your journey while the car is off and the battery/charger will power it. It can be set on the display or on the app.

It doesn't have electric heating while driving, heat will be from the heated seats or ventilation (using engine if needed). If you're only doing short trips the preheated car should stay warm enough without needing ventilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Buffman wrote: »
    The GX4H has electric preheat. You can set the car to preheat before your journey while the car is off and the battery/charger will power it. It can be set on the display or on the app.

It doesn't have electric heating while driving, heat will be from the heated seats or ventilation (using engine if needed). If you're only doing short trips the preheated car should stay warm enough without needing ventilation.

My GX4H will happily heat the cabin in winter without the engine running. On a very cold morning I set it to 19 degrees and it heats without the engine, increase it to 20 and the engine will often kick in. I usually preheat but not always, if I set off without preheating in 2 degree weather the cabin will heat to 19 degrees without running the engine.

quenching wrote: »
    My GX4H will happily heat the cabin in winter without the engine running. On a very cold morning I set it to 19 degrees and it heats without the engine, increase it to 20 and the engine will often kick in. I usually preheat but not always, if I set off without preheating in 2 degree weather the cabin will heat to 19 degrees without running the engine.

Ye, maybe that's where I was going wrong, I used to have mine around 21-22 and engine came on. I never used the ventilation much while driving in EV mode as I'd normally preheat and the heated seats and steering wheel normally kept me warm enough.

I was down to 63% in the battery so got a dbcam done and it is back up to 72%.

Happy with the boost but still it shouldn't really be dropping that low.

How did you read that percentage? With phev watchdog?

Since my reset around 6 weeks ago its dropped to 37.4 Ah from 38 Ah.

How much did the dbcam cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What size of battery is in an Outlander PHEV again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/mitsubishi-about-faces-on-european-departure-but-no-decision-on-ireland-1.4506356
    Mitsubishi about-faces on European departure - but no decision on Ireland
    Renault-based Mitsubishis on sale from 2023, but not yet planned for Ireland

NIMAN wrote: »
    What size of battery is in an Outlander PHEV again?

12 kWh around 9 kWh usable in the older 2 litre models, 13.8 kWh, and 11 kw usable in the 2,4 l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Where did you get this done and does it have to be by a mitsubishi dealer?

Also how much please?

It was €199 with the main dealer. Kept it in overnight. It will be interesting to see if it holds a bit better.

I was asking mitsubishi to consider a battery replacement as it is under 70%. They said they needed this done at a main dealer.

I've seen mixed reports from people losing 0.5 to others gaining so not a sure fire way to get some back. But if it has had a lot of charges it is likely out if sync a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement