Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

GreeBo wrote: »
    Seems more and more likely that the big wins are major (har har) outliers in his career and he could be one of those guys who hangs around for years and nips in and out of the winners circle very occasionally, most guys dont even get that much so its not like it should be a shock or seen as a failure imo.

He even admits it himself that he's never going to be a consistent top 10 player (tournament results) and that he will always be "streaky" (his own words). He says he will take being streaky and winning big tournaments now and again rather then being in or a round all the time without winning.

The problem from a Ryder Cup point of view is that type of form, at least more often than not, does not help with getting a place on the team. I really hope he does make it, but I can't see it happening.

He is 19th on the World Points List for the Ryder Cup at the moment.

First 4 spots go to the European Points List and then 5 to the World Points list. The Top 4 are also the current Top 4 on the World Points list and seem like lock ins for the team, so in essence the World Points list places will go down to number 9 on that list qualifying automatically.

He is 30 points out of the places at the moment but with points value at 1.5 now and double from the 12th May it is nothing a win or a good run of results wouldn't sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

techdiver wrote: »

The problem from a Ryder Cup point of view is that type of form, at least more often than not, does not help with getting a place on the team. I really hope he does make it, but I can't see it happening.

The other side of that is, do you really want a streaky player on your RyderCup team?
    I think I'd much prefer the consistent top 10 guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

GreeBo wrote: »
    The other side of that is, do you really want a streaky player on your RyderCup team?
    I think I'd much prefer the consistent top 10 guy.

Valid point, but the "consistent Top 10" guy may not win a match at that level.
    The streaky guy might win 2 out of 4.... Shane would make a very good 4somes partner, his driving and short game would free up a partner to be really aggressive with irons, and making birdies in 4somes will won matches.

Id love to see him make the team, but his hot/cold form type career will probably keep him out of the auto spots, and i dont think Padraig could pick him unless hes literally just missed the auto spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The streaky guy might win 2 out of 4....

Only if he is streaking when the Ryder cup is on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Personally cant see a redeeming feature why shane should make team

his game is a mess full stop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Personally cant see a redeeming feature why shane should make team

his game is a mess full stop

I'd take that game every day and twice on Sunday.

I'd take that game every day and twice on Sunday.

You aren’t professional golfer

You are kidding self if you think he is in or near Europe’s top 12 golfers at this minute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Paddy will surely give him the pick.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to find some form soon, he must be sobering up from the open around now. He's well capable of playing in a Ryder cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A pick needs to be a veteran who can buffer less experienced team or hot in form player. Shane is not the first and time will tell whether he can qualify but I can't see him being picked unless he's on fire last few weeks running into the comp.
    His greatest weakness is his putting and more than anything else you need a putter at the RC...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

What a surprise. A yellow for Lamela.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

And it’s 3-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

abff wrote: »
    And it’s 3-0.

Lowry must be gutted!

In present form he doesn't deserve to be there. I dont think Harrington will pick him unless he really deserves it either. My money would be on him not being in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

he needs to win a major or wgc to even be in contention given he is so inconsistent most of the time.

i know it's important to Shane but i would still prefer him to win any individual event ahead of playing ryder cup given such a hypothetical choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

You aren’t professional golfer

You are kidding self if you think he is in or near Europe’s top 12 golfers at this minute

He is literally the 11th ranked European player in the world.

His form isn’t in the top 12 in Europe, no one could argue that, it’s not even close, but his overall quality since the last Ryder cup is within the realms of the team. His streaky nature means he could genuinely do nothing for another 6 weeks, have a couple of top 20s, win a regular US tour event and top 10 at a couple of majors and make the team with room to spare. There’s a fair chance he won’t but he has loads of capability and track record in doing exactly that.

He is literally the 11th ranked European player in the world.

His form isn’t in the top 12 in Europe, no one could argue that, it’s not even close, but his overall quality since the last Ryder cup is within the realms of the team. His streaky nature means he could genuinely do nothing for another 6 weeks, have a couple of top 20s, win a regular US tour event and top 10 at a couple of majors and make the team with room to spare. There’s a fair chance he won’t but he has loads of capability and track record in doing exactly that.

The lockdown is actually helping him stay up in the top 50. His 5 best ranking scores were in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

The lockdown is actually helping him stay up in the top 50. His 5 best ranking scores were in 2019

Not particularly, the PGA tour only shut down for 3 months, and they got pretty much all big events in bar the open. His last run of very good form was in 2019 which included a major and a Rolex series win, both of which came without much buildup form.

I’m not suggesting he’s playing like he’s one of the best few golfers in Europe at this moment, he’s clearly not. But he has the pedigree and capability to go on a hot streak with limited notice and nail a place on the team in no time. He has guaranteed entry to all 4 majors, the players and the WGCs.

I do think if he’s outside the top 9 he’ll only get one of PH’s picks if he’s somewhere between 10-14 with a bit of form in the bag over the summer. If he continues to trundle along as he is without that hot streak I hope and expect to arrive, no way will Paddy pick him. If Europe lost and PH brought an out of form Lowry on a mates pick it Harrington would be hung for it, no matter how well or badly Lowry actually played in the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Not particularly, the PGA tour only shut down for 3 months, and they got pretty much all big events in bar the open. His last run of very good form was in 2019 which included a major and a Rolex series win, both of which came without much buildup form.

I’m not suggesting he’s playing like he’s one of the best few golfers in Europe at this moment, he’s clearly not. But he has the pedigree and capability to go on a hot streak with limited notice and nail a place on the team in no time. He has guaranteed entry to all 4 majors, the players and the WGCs.

I do think if he’s outside the top 9 he’ll only get one of PH’s picks if he’s somewhere between 10-14 with a bit of form in the bag over the summer. If he continues to trundle along as he is without that hot streak I hope and expect to arrive, no way will Paddy pick him. If Europe lost and PH brought an out of form Lowry on a mates pick it Harrington would be hung for it, no matter how well or badly Lowry actually played in the matches.

I agree with all this except the last sentence. I mean if Lowry played well and won his points, then you would credit Paddy, not blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Looking like a solid start for Shane in the WGC, playing well but not making a lot, similar enough story for him there!

A top ten or better here would take a lot of pressure off. Great chance for points with the limited field and a lot out of it after day 1.

Come on Shane, another WGC would be nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Too many even par or worse first rounds, always ending up 6 - 9 shots behind the leader. Unfortunately didn't change today.

Looking like a solid start for Shane in the WGC, playing well but not making a lot, similar enough story for him there!

A top ten or better here would take a lot of pressure off. Great chance for points with the limited field and a lot out of it after day 1.

Come on Shane, another WGC would be nice :)

Very unlikely now, + 4 today. Shane is in a rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Very poor again today, another MC looming.

Once again a first round that sees him nine shots behind the leaders. Unfortunately Shane appears to be heading back to where he was in 2018 when he was contemplating giving up Golf. I know winning the Open may have changed that, but he needs to do something drastic with his game to end this awful phase he is going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Once again a first round that sees him nine shots behind the leaders. Unfortunately Shane appears to be heading back to where he was in 2018 when he was contemplating giving up Golf. I know winning the Open may have changed that, but he needs to do something drastic with his game to end this awful phase he is going through.

Really just need to putt better

-3 strokes gained on putting tells the whole story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He's hitting it brilliantly off the tee. T1 with accuracy. T17 Distance. 3rd SG OTT. GIR T3 (14/18)
    Has he changed putter?
    It's awful stuff. 119th SG Putting

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.33204.shane-lowry.html/scorecards/r009/2021

Unfortunately another missed cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,153 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The craziness of golf, Shane having a great day after coming in with no form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Hopefully I won't jinx him this week! Could go a long way to securing the Ryder Cup this week with a good performance.

Let's face it, the guy is good enough to win this week and another major is certainly within his capabilities.

He's won an Open in a canter and a WGC, yet some still go on like he's some kind of hacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hopefully I won't jinx him this week! Could go a long way to securing the Ryder Cup this week with a good performance.

Let's face it, the guy is good enough to win this week and another major is certainly within his capabilities.

He's won an Open in a canter and a WGC, yet some still go on like he's some kind of hacker.

Early days - but it does sum up how he is an unusual character. Crap - or can win a major. It is kind of strange. You don't see golfers like that too often.

Advertisement