Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I need some advice. Last week I had an electrician call to install some fixtures and I asked him can he put up 2 CCTV cameras for me. They are IP cameras that are powered from a standard wall socket. He drilled holes in the front and rear walls of the house to pass through the power cables for the cameras and in the process took a nice chunk of plaster from both walls (quite a deep hole). He then told me I'd have to get a plasterer out to "fix" it myself. Surely he caused the damage he should fix it? I've had holes put in the house wall before for other cables and no damage done. Also to top if off after he left I noticed 2 "nice" dents in the car door where it was obviously struck by the step ladder he used as my car was parked beside where he put up one of the cameras. When I contacted him about this he denied he did it of course. My car is in a private driveway and there was no damage when I went to the car 20 mins before he arrived but was there after he left. It is very noticeable. I know it's my word against his but any suggestions how I should approach this issue and the issue with the wall damage? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can you post photos?

Most tradesmen will fill small gaps with calk or silicone. If it was genuinely necessary to make the holes & if they require plastering then the homeowner would usually get this done. He's an electrician not a Plasterer in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭danap

Hi Sleeper12,

I understand he is not a plasterer but surely if he causes additional damage he is liable to fix it even if it means him getting a plasterer. Maybe I'm mistaken. Attached are some photos of the damage caused. Thanks for the respnse.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can you post photos?

Most tradesmen will fill small gaps with calk or silicone. If it was genuinely necessary to make the holes & if they require plastering then the homeowner would usually get this done. He's an electrician not a Plasterer in fairness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Obviously damaging your car should pay for the damage, equally obvious is that none of us can say whether this particular electrician damaged your car or not.

Regarding the damage to the plaster, this can be unavoidable. It depends on a lot of factors. Without seeing a photo it is not possible to judge the extent of the damage or how careful the electrician was.

As already stated many electricians will repair small damage with some filler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I just saw your photos, our last posts crossed.
    That looks pretty rough to me, I wouldn’t be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Unfortunately this is what happens drilling....

The outer part ends up taking more with it as drill is hammering away.

I'd rather have someone with the skills do it though as it may actually look terrible and needs painting too.

You could buy a bit of plaster in box mix it up and apply.

I myself would have filled it but it may well not be totally perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭secman

Thats a very rough looking finish, cable is just dangling there, wouldn't be a bit happy with that at all, a bit of a thumper by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd rather have someone with the skills do it though as it may actually look terrible and needs painting too.

I totally agree with you. Not to tar all electricians with the same brush but I've been in many homes that have obviously been rewired and sometimes the finish is terrible where the plastered the chased out walls.

Thanks for all the responses. Electrician called back this evening and he cannot understand my dissatisfaction with his work. So looks like I'll have to get somebody to plaster the holes. Also as suspected he claims he didn't damage my car so looks like I'm out of pocket there as well. Thanks again everybody. P1ssed off and disgruntled.

I'd feel terribly bad leaving a job like that.

Why did he bother coming back to do nothing.

He came to inspect the damage to the car and then denied having done it even though it was fine before he arrived and was dented when he left. Anyway my word against his I'm afraid. When I mentioned the holes he left on the front and back walls he said I'd need to get it plastered myself. The problem is he drilled from inside out when he should have drilled outside in. Time to put this costly episode behind me.

Thanks for replying.
    I'd feel terribly bad leaving a job like that.

Why did he bother coming back to do nothing.

• Advertisement

danap wrote: »
    He came to inspect the damage to the car and then denied having done it even though it was fine before he arrived and was dented when he left. Anyway my word against his I'm afraid. When I mentioned the holes he left on the front and back walls he said I'd need to get it plastered myself. The problem is he drilled from inside out when he should have drilled outside in. Time to put this costly episode behind me.

Thanks for replying.

Same could have happened on inside wall depending on finish.

Pity about the damage.

He won't be getting any repeat business off you and you won't be giving him anu other business by word of mouth.

What was he like for doing the work in the 1st place as in did he seem interested as the job was probably not worth it in his eyes so just threw things up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Problem with the plaster coming off is mainly because people push the hammer drills with all their might! Whole point of a hammer drill is it does the work, you just need and they work better with just light pressure.

If he hadn't been trying to smash the drill through that damage would likely not have happened. Not that it helps you I'm afraid OP but maybe will explain why some guys make a balls of simple jobs like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Looks poor finish, I wouldn't be pleased myself.

In fairness to him the other jobs he had to do he did a good job. But the drilling of the holes in the front and back walls and damage to the my car were disappointing to put it mildly.

Thanks for replying.

Same could have happened on inside wall depending on finish.

Pity about the damage.

He won't be getting any repeat business off you and you won't be giving him anu other business by word of mouth.

What was he like for doing the work in the 1st place as in did he seem interested as the job was probably not worth it in his eyes so just threw things up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Pitty he didn't try and use the soffit and not the wall, as a way to route the cable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Pity you didn’t have CCTV for the car damage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Pitty he didn't try and use the soffit and not the wall, as a way to route the cable.

Agree. Can’t understand why he didn’t do this op. What way did he route the cables inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

would of been easier and look much better using the soffit, very odd he choose to drill the wall like that. I wonder was this extra work included in the original price and he just gunthered it up in a bit of a huff or did he charge you full whack for the 2 extra camera installs? I have had stuff like this happen with tradesmen doing really stupid stuff you would think they would know better or at least bloody ask / advise you on what they are planning to tackle the job. I had a painter in who had great feedback who painted over 3 crack gauges on the wall.... I had pointed it out to him and all ! came home and the thing was coated in 2 coats of immulsion. :rolleyes:
    I might seem OTT but now if im getting a job done i will have notes on what i want done with drawings sometimes too .

Hi meerkat,

Cable through the wall and then down along the bedroom wall to the power socket.
    meercat wrote: »
    Tuco88 wrote: »

Agree. Can’t understand why he didn’t do this op. What way did he route the cables inside.

Camera installation was included in the cost of the job.
    would of been easier and look much better using the soffit, very odd he choose to drill the wall like that. I wonder was this extra work included in the original price and he just gunthered it up in a bit of a huff or did he charge you full whack for the 2 extra camera installs? I have had stuff like this happen with tradesmen doing really stupid stuff you would think they would know better or at least bloody ask / advise you on what they are planning to tackle the job. I had a painter in who had great feedback who painted over 3 crack gauges on the wall.... I had pointed it out to him and all ! came home and the thing was coated in 2 coats of immulsion. :rolleyes:
    I might seem OTT but now if im getting a job done i will have notes on what i want done with drawings sometimes too .

• Advertisement

Hi meerkat,

Cable through the wall and then down along the bedroom wall to the power socket.

Doesn’t seem like this lad takes pride in his workmanship (although I don’t like to criticise without seeing it)
    Any chance of a photo of the inside work

Certainly looks that way meercat. Attached is a photo of the inside job. Apologies about the poor quality but I'm only in from work and best I can get at this time of night.

Doesn’t seem like this lad takes pride in his workmanship (although I don’t like to criticise without seeing it)
    Any chance of a photo of the inside work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Didn't think it was possible to be rougher on the inside but I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I am absolutely brutal at DIY and if I finished a job like that I would be very pissed off with myself .. never mind getting a finish like from a electrician.
    I installed my own ring cameras it’s not perfect but better than this. Wired it through roof and into sockets in attic.
    Ring even provides the drill bits and template.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Is this guy a reputable electrician or someone you met in the pub that said they'd do it for you?

Ask for your money back.
    Definitely not quality workmanship

Btw,what else did he do for you.and were you happy with it

Yes he is a Registered Electrical Contractor and was actually recommended to us.
    cosanostra wrote: »
    Is this guy a reputable electrician or someone you met in the pub that said they'd do it for you?

I left it to the so called expert thinking he'd do a professional job. Fool on me.
    harr wrote: »
    I am absolutely brutal at DIY and if I finished a job like that I would be very pissed off with myself .. never mind getting a finish like from a electrician.
    I installed my own ring cameras it’s not perfect but better than this. Wired it through roof and into sockets in attic.
    Ring even provides the drill bits and template.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Jeez, that's very rough work there.
    Either he hasn't a clue, or can't be bothered, or both..
    492613.jpg

492612.jpg

492696.jpg

• Advertisement

He also replaced an extractor fan in the bathroom, put in a new switch cord for the shower and installed a new light fixture. These I have no complaints with. It's the damage to my car and the front and back walls I'm angry about.

He hasn't been paid yet. It just pains me to have to pay him on top of having to pay to fix the damage he has caused.
    Ask for your money back.
    Definitely not quality workmanship

Btw,what else did he do for you.and were you happy with it

Advertisement