Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh dear lord.... Or Christ on a bike as I do say....

I'd be banned for saying exactly what I thought but jaysus that's absolutely shocking work....

A 1st year apprentice would do a better job.

Is it screwed to the wall or just stuck up....

You say you haven't paid him well the ball is actually in your court....

I would be asking him to rectify the work or better still I'd be contacting reci about his workmanship to be honest....

Please post a photo of the other work.

You never mentioned the inside part and that is beyond a joke.

I was at this for just over 4 years but never got my papers as failed 1 out of 4 tests and was let go at recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭danap

Punishe5112, I guess it wouldn't surprise you to hear it's just stuck up.

Oh dear lord.... Or Christ on a bike as I do say....

I'd be banned for saying exactly what I thought but jaysus that's absolutely shocking work....

A 1st year apprentice would do a better job.

Is it screwed to the wall or just stuck up....

danap wrote: »
    Punishe5112, I guess it wouldn't surprise you to hear it's just stuck up.

Oh for fcuk sake.....

I'm not shocked at all but more so disappointed even more that I could be doing a job like that and do it right but can't as 1 exam I didn't pass.....

There was ones like this in work and went on to work for themselves... Great spoofers to be honest.

His initial arent DM are they

I did ask him to repair it but he said I'd have to get a plasterer in as he is not a plasterer which is fair enough. But I would have expected him to offer to pay for the damage or to deduct it from his bill. No chance.

Can I actually lodge a complaint with reci? Are they not only concerned with the actual electrical work?
    You say you
    haven't paid him well the ball is actually in your court....

I would be asking him to rectify the work or better still I'd be contacting reci about his workmanship to be honest....

Please post a photo of the other work.

You never mentioned the inside part and that is beyond a joke.

I was at this for just over 4 years but never got my papers as failed 1 out of 4 tests and was let go at recession.

• Advertisement

I did ask him to repair it but he said I'd have to get a plasterer in as he is not a plasterer which is fair enough. But I would have expected him to offer to pay for the damage or to deduct it from his bill. No chance.

Can I actually lodge a complaint with reci? Are they not only concerned with the actual electrical work?

If that's how he leaves what you can see I can only imagine what the rest of his work is like....

Is his name on the van and all or sort of relies on word of mouth?

I'd be making whoever told you to use home they are demented .. well nicely ;-)

If you aren't already aware the sticky back on the trunking is only an aid to help get it straight to then actually screw it to the surface.

That is absolutely terrible and even the hole inside is crazy.
    He could at least of thrown a but of filler or silicone or something as you now have an open hole in the wall.

No not DM. Sorry to hear about the failed exam. Can you not retake it? Plenty of work for electricians out there.
    Oh for fcuk sake.....

I'm not shocked at all but more so disappointed even more that I could be doing a job like that and do it right but can't as 1 exam I didn't pass.....

There was ones like this in work and went on to work for themselves... Great spoofers to be honest.

His initial arent DM are they

No name on the van so maybe gets jobs by word of mouth. Deffo won't be getting any references from me.
    If that's how he leaves what you can see I can only imagine what the rest of his work is like....

Is his name on the van and all or sort of relies on word of mouth?

I'd be making whoever told you to use home they are demented .. well nicely ;-)

If you aren't already aware the sticky back on the trunking is only an aid to help get it straight to then actually screw it to the surface.

That is absolutely terrible and even the hole inside is crazy.
    He could at least of thrown a but of filler or silicone or something as you now have an open hole in the wall.

No not DM. Sorry to hear about the failed exam. Can you not retake it? Plenty of work for electricians out there.

Throw up a few pics....

Wouldn't suit with taking hit in wages and going back to be honest, mortgage etc so couldn't do it.

Thanks appreciate that it's maybe a good thing as would have been out of work for a good few years where as I was in full employment through the whole downturn.

I wouldn't be at all happy with any of that.

Even an outside socket box and cable ran out and the two cameras power supply linked from the outside.... Yes a little more cable but less mess and a tidier job....

He really shouldnt be anywhere near a residential property if that's how he thinks the job is fine.... Funny they wouldn't even get away doing that on a commercial premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You can see that he stuck the trunking to the wall, realised it was too far off the corner, pulled it away and took a lump of the paint with him and stuck it back leaving the paint finish in lumps.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You can see that he stuck the trunking to the wall, realised it was too far off the corner, pulled it away and took a lump of the paint with him and stuck it back leaving the paint finish in lumps.

True but then it was possible but unlikely he screwed up after but we know the answer to that....

I'd actually be ashamed leaving it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't pay for that work.
    Ok so an accident could happen where some plaster get blown off with the drill.
    He destroyed the wall at both drill holes and then made an absolute mess of the inside.
    A joke.
    The car issue is even more serious but without proof, you will have to park that.
    If you are 100 percent certain about the car, well nail him.to the wall over the standard of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

RECI. In this case, and plenty of others i hazard, it is a guarantee of f**k all.

That is one pure sh1t job. The other stuff he did that you were pleased with he simply could not mess up. Regarding this work however, and blank canvas you presented him with - well a different story altogether.

Report the prick. And to think if you came on to certain forums, you’d be hauled across the coals at the mere suggestion you were looking at wiring in a socket yourself - as a non RECI.

Posts like this offer ample justification for a competent DIYer doing a lot of their own work at home.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. Really appreciate it.

I think I'll lodge a complaint with RECI and see if anything comes of it.

On another note when he called yesterday to view the damage he caused to my car (which he denied) he said he'd give me his public liability insurance details once I get a quote for the fix. He said he'd leave his insurance deal with the car damage but that he'll instruct them that he didn't cause the damage. So will be out of pocket there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

danap wrote:
    I think I'll lodge a complaint with RECI and see if anything comes of it.

I agree with every one else. It's a shocking job. Anyone can blow out the plaster drilling through a wall but he did it twice and the inside is no better.

I'm not an electrician so happy to be corrected but I don't think this is a RECI thing. RECI should guarantee safe electric work that meets all of the wiring regulations. I don't think it covers the cosmetic end of it. I'm pretty sure that so long as the actual electrical work is safe RECI could care less about how it looks.

Sleeper12, I actually thought the same but at this stage what else can I do. Would love to hear from somebody that knows. Anyway if it makes RECI aware of the shoddy workmanship of one of its registered contractors it might ensure he doesn't damage other people's homes. Wishful thinking I suppose.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I agree with every one else. It's a shocking job. Anyone can blow out the plaster drilling through a wall but he did it twice and the inside is no better.

I'm not an electrician so happy to be corrected but I don't think this is a RECI thing. RECI should guarantee safe electric work that meets all of the wiring regulations. I don't think it covers the cosmetic end of it. I'm pretty sure that so long as the actual electrical work is safe RECI could care less about how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Just don't pay him til he does it properly, if its a choice between not getting paid or fixing the work then he ll probably fix it, ask for a cert for any electrical work he's done in your house, don't bother reporting him to reci, they ll probably do nothing and it won't help to get the work rectified. You're only leverage is the money and it's a great one. And don't accept, he's not a plasterer as an answer, he either fixes it or you deduct the cost of repair from the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

RECI cannot and do not get involved except in issues of electrical safety (and compliance with the Wiring Rules). Everything else is outside the scope of RECI, and it's right and proper that this would be the case.

To be honest I'm not sure why everyone's siding with you about the car - absolutely no evidence has been provided and frankly they can't know that he was responsible.

Also you don't have a right to withhold all payment for the job. Such an action would have no basis in law. The best course of action would be to come to an agreement between yourselves rather than going legal. But whatever the case some money will be owed.

Op how much did this cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭meercat

He also replaced an extractor fan in the bathroom, put in a new switch cord for the shower and installed a new light fixture. These I have no complaints with. It's the damage to my car and the front and back walls I'm angry about.

He hasn't been paid yet. It just pains me to have to pay him on top of having to pay to fix the damage he has caused.

Has he provided a certificate for the electrical work
    He must provide one for a bathroom and for minor works if requested

• Advertisement

When I requested a certificate from him he said as only appliances were refitted no certificate was required to be issued.
    meercat wrote: »
    Has he provided a certificate for the electrical work
    He must provide one for a bathroom and for minor works if requested

In previous posts I did mention that the damage to my car is hearsay and I know the cost of repair is on me even though I know 100% the damage was caused by him. But I cannot prove that unfortunately.

I will wait and see what the repair bill for the damage to the walls is and then see if we can come to an arrangement. What I really wanted to know is that level of damage acceptable when asked to drill a hole? I know accidents happen so am I unreasonable to request the damage is repaired?

Risteard81 wrote: »
    RECI cannot and do not get involved except in issues of electrical safety (and compliance with the Wiring Rules). Everything else is outside the scope of RECI, and it's right and proper that this would be the case.

To be honest I'm not sure why everyone's siding with you about the car - absolutely no evidence has been provided and frankly they can't know that he was responsible.

Also you don't have a right to withhold all payment for the job. Such an action would have no basis in law. The best course of action would be to come to an agreement between yourselves rather than going legal. But whatever the case some money will be owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Did he provide an invoice? do you have a written quote from him?

Yes he emailed me the invoice.
    darconio wrote: »
    Did he provide an invoice? do you have a written quote from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Yes he emailed me the invoice.

Here some good advise:

http://blog.tradesmen.ie/2013/08/cash-jobs-warning/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

danap wrote:
    I will wait and see what the repair bill for the damage to the walls is and then see if we can come to an arrangement. What I really wanted to know is that level of damage acceptable when asked to drill a hole? I know accidents happen so am I unreasonable to request the damage is repaired?

If he wants full payment then he is entitled to full payment. You'd then open a small claims court case to recoup the money for damage.

The consumers Forum can give better advice

Hopefully he comes to an arrangement with you without the bother of a small claims court case

Invoice contains VAT so link not really relevant. Thanks for the response.
    darconio wrote: »

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »

I share your view on this as stated in my 1st post on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭meercat

When I requested a certificate from him he said as only appliances were refitted no certificate was required to be issued.

Not correct.
    He should have tested both the fan and shower and all associated rcds

If he fitted a fan in the bathroom then it should also be rcd protected(unless it’s low voltage)

• Advertisement

Thanks meercat. A fan was previously installed in the bathroom that gave up the ghost. He just removed it and added a new fan. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    meercat wrote: »
    Not correct.
    He should have tested both the fan and shower and all associated rcds

If he fitted a fan in the bathroom then it should also be rcd protected(unless it’s low voltage)

Advertisement