Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

the 8th is gone, we know that. that battle is over, that war is over.

the 8th was a factor, one of many, in the death of Savita, the 'no' side agrees that, the 'yes' side doesn't seem to want to acknowledge any other factors, or drop the issue, and let the woman rest in peace.

If the 8th wasn’t in place then she wouldn’t have died. Simple as that. The 8th was the ultimate cause of her death.she would have gotten the treatment necessary if the 8th hadn’t been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You d be naive to think the referendum has solved this issue, this is only the beginning, be prepared for push back from the no campaign, it ll probably get nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 21,370 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You d be naive to think the referendum has solved this issue, this is only the beginning, be prepared for push back from the no campaign, it ll probably get nasty
    Ah ye'll all die out (religious people), get the plane back to the us (all the evangelicals) or ironically get the boat to the UK (Hopefully Waters as promised)

It's done. Get over it and move on. Sure there's no impact to you anyway.

ELM327 wrote:
    Ah ye'll all die out (religious people), get the plane back to the us (all the evangelicals) or ironically get the boat to the UK (Hopefully Waters as promised)

I'm an atheist or possibly agnostic actually! Wait till you see what the no campaign do to try prevent this one, we ll see the real power of institutions such as Iona, just wait a while

ELM327 wrote: »

It's done. Get over it and move on. Sure there's no impact to you anyway.

It will mainly die out because we are a small nation and while we have crazy people, we don't have as many due to the smaller population. Simon Harris is already talking about laws to protect patients and staff of medical facilities that provide the new service.

• Advertisement

I'm an atheist or possibly agnostic actually! Wait till you see what the no campaign do to try prevent this one, we ll see the real power of institutions such as Iona, just wait a while

Lolek to call them their real name, do not have any power. The strongholds are disappearing due to the vast majority changing the constitution. The TDs they support will start to die off too as they don't get re-elected.

hahahahahahahha you crack me up

Lolek to call them their real name, do not have any power. The strongholds are disappearing due to the vast majority changing the constitution. The TDs they support will start to die off too as they don't get re-elected.

Oh never underestimate institutional power, plenty of evidence on this planet to support this, be prepared for all sorts of shenanigans, it's only the beginning

ELM327 wrote:
    hahahahahahahha you crack me up

Thank you, I try my best, I even contemplated voting no, just for the crack!

Oh never underestimate institutional power, plenty of evidence on this planet to support this, be prepared for all sorts of shenanigans, it's only the beginning
    Institutional power has had its day.
    Magdelene laundries have closed.
    Women's rights trump the opinions of the men in dresses.

• Advertisement

Jasus...that sounds like a threat.

ELM327 wrote:
    Institutional power has had its day. Magdelene laundries have closed. Women's rights trump the opinions of the men in dresses.

Institutional power and control is doing just fine on this planet, in fact it's probably doing much better than before, we ve only moved the goal posts and changed the names, it's very important for the yes campaign to realise this, this is just the beginning, and this will probably get nasty

Jasus...that sounds like a threat.

It is not meant to be

Institutional power and control is doing just fine on this planet, in fact it's probably doing much better than before, we ve only moved the goal posts and changed the names, it's very important for the yes campaign to realise this, this is just the beginning, and this will probably get nasty

Still sounds like threats and that you are hanging onto a dying institution. I'm also struggling with you not knowing if you are atheist or agnostic. There is a big difference.

By any chance are you a member or employee of Lolek?

Still sounds like threats and that you are hanging onto a dying institution. I'm also struggling with you not knowing if you are atheist or agnostic. There is a big difference.

I don't particularly struggle with it, so why should you? It's always good to continually question things, including your own beliefs. There are positives to religion and religious beliefs, but for now, they're not particularly relevant to my life, but that could change, and I'm ok with that. I have seen evidence of the positives of religion in others, I've even seen it save lives, so how could that be a bad thing?
    By any chance sre you a member or employee of Lolek?

Nope, no interest, as explained

I don't particularly struggle with it, so why should you?

None of this is really a topic for this thread.... however, I am struggling to comprehend how someone can both not believe and not be sure at the same time. One or the other, I get. I just don't get both at the same time. I'll have to look it up later when I get a chance.

It's always good to continually question things, including your own beliefs.

Agree, and that is generally how people from a religious background go from theist to atheist. But the questioning stops as the belief or non-belief is concreted. Acceptance of decision occurs, unless something dramatic happens at a later stage.

There are positives to religion and religious beliefs, but for now, they're not particularly relevant to my life, but that could change, and I'm ok with that. I have seen evidence of the positives of religion in others, I've even seen it save lives, so how could that be a bad thing?

People can be decent, kind, loving, good, etc. without religion. Religion does not have exclusivity to good things. It doesn't have exclusivity to bad things either. However, it has done a lot of evil and caused a lot of harm and death over the centuries. Many people have been tortured, maimed, killed, etc. due to religion

Your threatening menacing power grabs dont work in this country any more.
    People have stood up to the men in dresses and removed the children from underneath them

We don't listen to you. Human rights are more important.

None of this is really a topic for this thread.... however, I am struggling to comprehend how someone can both not believe and not be sure at the same time. One or the other, I get. I just don't get both at the same time. I'll have to look it up later when I get a chance.

Perfectly fine in my mind, and I'm not struggling with it at all, it sits relatively comfortable there, it's important to remember, life is not black or white, as many believe it to be, the colour range is infinite
    Agree, and that is generally how people from a religious background go from theist to atheist. But the questioning stops as the belief or non-belief is concreted. Acceptance of decision occurs, unless something dramatic happens at a later stage.

So really, the questioning never truly ends? Questioning should never stop
    People can be decent, kind, loving, good, etc. without religion. Religion does not have exclusivity to good things. It doesn't have exclusivity to bad things either. However, it has done a lot of evil and caused a lot of harm and death over the centuries. Many people have been tortured, maimed, killed, etc. due to religion

Of course people can be, but is the problem of 'evil acts' more a human problem than a religious one?

ELM327 wrote:
    Your threatening menacing power grabs dont work in this country any more. People have stood up to the men in dresses and removed the children from underneath them

Wow, again I'm not making treats, it's probably important to realise, I voted yes, I was always a yes person, long long before this whole repeal thing was on the table. Again, it's important to realise, institutional power and control is alive and well on this planet, we ve just renamed them.

I think my fears of the yes campaign becoming complacent are just being confirmed, again, this is only the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Wow, again I'm not making treats, it's probably important to realise, I voted yes, I was always a yes person, long long before this whole repeal thing was on the table. Again, it's important to realise, institutional power and control is alive and well on this planet, we ve just renamed them.

I think my fears of the yes campaign becoming complacent are just being confirmed, again, this is only the beginning

You're quite right this is the beginning. The beginning of the end.

After the resounding, emphatic yes vote a week ago, only the most delusional people in this country would see it otherwise.

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote:

I obviously disagree, as it's important to realise, we actually don't have democratic control of our society, and there's plenty of evidence to support this. The yes campaign cannot rest now, this is not over, as the no campaign will now resort to all it's back channels to undermine this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I obviously disagree, as it's important to realise, we actually don't have democratic control of our society, and there's plenty of evidence to support this. The yes campaign cannot rest now, this is not over, as the no campaign will now resort to all it's back channels to undermine this decision

It is over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dav3 wrote: »

After the resounding, emphatic yes vote a week ago, only the most delusional people in this country would see it otherwise.

Hardly as you call it. Basic arithmetic....

Democratic control? Not 100% but we are hell of a lot closer due to the last 2 referendums. We have kicked the RCC and it’s cohorts to the side.

dav3 wrote: »

Hardly as you call it. Basic arithmetic.... and democracy is not dictatorship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I hope they do. The crazier they become, the more outrageous the stunts they try to pull, the better. They will turn even more people against their way of thinking.

One thing is absolutely certain. It is over. Legislation will pass.

Democratic control? Not 100% but we are hell of a lot closer due to the last 2 referendums. We have kicked the RCC and it’s cohorts to the side.

This was about abortion not RCC. About babies not about scoring points.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hardly as you call it. Basic arithmetic....

Only 21% of the electorate voted against repeal. That is not even 21% of those eligible to register to vote.

Haha.
    You're funny.
    You most certainly did not vote yes.
    We are done with the no side. They can go away now, just like they did after the divorce referendum, the SSM marriage referendum, when contraception was brought in, etc etc ad infinitum.
    You cannot block progress and civil liberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1 week already!

Advertisement