Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple in Kildare sentenced over 'one of largest welfare fraud cases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People always laugh smugly at suggestions of non eu migrants receiving social welfare payments "yeah they all get free prams and taxis lol". Well actually, some do. These stories don't come from nowhere. This couple presumably have irish citizenship (because they love Ireland and the free cash it has given them) at this stage so can't be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kivaro wrote: »
    And with all the forging, lying, and stealing from Irish tax payers, one would have to wonder if there was a possibility of deceit when they applied for asylum in Ireland?

Interesting to note from the Court papers that: “some friends may have advised him” when he came to Ireland before he undertook the fraud.
    Would that imply that other Nigerians are also involved in similar scams and yet to be caught?
    You can't say dat! There is not a single recorded case in human history of a Nigerian person being involved in fraudulent activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You can't say dat! There is not a single recorded case in human history of a Nigerian person being involved in fraudulent activity.

They are all nice people, really.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvxYwI_y3U

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

august12 wrote: »
    40,000 arrears on mortgage, house will probably be repossessed and then what happens, they go on the housing/homeless list and guess what, they get rent allowance.

They were actually already getting rent allowance on the house they owned

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why isn't all assets stripped and sent packing.

Why as a small island are we importing fraudsters, criminals etc.

I'm working and can't get a mortgage.

I've worked since I was 15 and haven't received anything for it apart from a wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

To be fair though we are exporting a few too, plus they are no comparison to the homegrown ones

begbysback wrote: »
    To be fair though we are exporting a few too, plus they are no comparison to the homegrown ones

Well to be fair they are a separate ethnic minority now thanks to the fools in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

People always laugh smugly at suggestions of non eu migrants receiving social welfare payments "yeah they all get free prams and taxis lol". Well actually, some do. These stories don't come from nowhere. This couple presumably have irish citizenship (because they love Ireland and the free cash it has given them) at this stage so can't be deported.

It was mentioned on The Last Word during the week that the highest uptake of citizenship in Ireland is from people who don't come from Europe. Africa had one of the highest rates of citizenship applications.
    As much as people will shout to deport them,the odds are that they are citizens of Ireland. If the house is seized then the couple will go straight into local authority housing. Seeing as yer man is working under one alias then I'd refuse any application for social housing and let him go rent his own place out of his own pocket. I'd make him continue working and pay off the debt. If he's made unemployed then he'd only end up paying about €2 a week off the amount he fraudulently received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

begbysback wrote: »

Show me homegrown Irish people with 2 identities and a mortgage of over 400k, and getting rent allowance on there own house that they got with fraudulent mortgage? Doubt it happens often if at all. Seems Nigerians regularly have 2 identities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We are a very very soft touch. Now back to work plebs, be damn happy you have a job to cover your mortgage and pay your damn taxes. Take a few handy Credit cards and some pcp finance for your 181 Kia Sportage. Now we have you by the balls.

Them social welfare entitlements for fraudsters and scamsters are not growing on trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Yes the absolutely foolproof and impossible to forge utility bill. :rolleyes:

And passport/driving license/ID card

Seems like a kyc problem at the bank. Wonder if anybody got fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

daheff wrote: »
    And passport/driving license/ID card

Seems like a kyc problem at the bank. Wonder if anybody got fired?

Take a look at any of those shows on UK TV where people are being pursued for money,the amount of people from Africa with more than one identity is staggering. Loans, utility bills and more in different names yet all the one person.
    If fraud is intended then you'd be amazed the lengths people will go to. I suppose the bank did all the checks on one of the identities and this showed adequate income and security while under the other identity the fraudsters were claiming as many social welfare benefits they could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'm working and can't get a mortgage.

I've worked since I was 15 and haven't received anything for it apart from a wage.

I assure you, we export plenty of them ourselves - especially of a particular "ethnicity" .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

We are an incredibly soft touch for those who scam us at the top and the bottom. I'm all for building social housing on a massive scale for those who are in employment and are prepared to work. Unfortunately because of years of corrupt FG/FF governance house prices have become out of reach to the majority of those in low to average paid employment thus making the criminal under investment in social housing all the more obvious.

We need a new political party that doesn't pander to vested interests and is interested in improving the lives of those PAYE workers that are the engine of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

As well as how he done it i would like to know how did he tripped up to get caught, wonder how long he could have got away with it if he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Did anybody else guess right after seeing the thread title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

A fairer solution would be to deport this pair before they cost us another penny. Prison is expensive. The rent allowance and social welfare to keep them is expensive. Strip them of whatever residency rights they have and send them back to where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A fairer solution would be to deport this pair before they cost us another penny. Prison is expensive. The rent allowance and social welfare to keep them is expensive. Strip them of whatever residency rights they have and send them back to where they came from.

Sure they’ll probably come back with new identities :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Sure they’ll probably come back with new identities :pac:

Perhaps there's a case to be made for microchipping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could the DSP be taken over by a private operation, you would give them a percentage of the savings made?

Id also have financial rewards for tip offs, if they dont already have it...

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I assure you, we export plenty of them ourselves - especially of a particular "ethnicity" .

Did you even read my next post....

Seriously this isnt about our own or whatever it's about what it's about and that is 2 people who came here as economic social welfare recepients and have done extremely well for themselves.

Imagine not having to worry about having anything when it's handed to one on a gold plate.

Yes people will argue Banks and other white collar crime but in all honesty I'm very well annoyed and if it were Irish I would be also very annoyed.

If one wants to bring up oh well we have our own doing it then that's fine but deserves it's own thread.

We here on this island are to giving and pander to the PC brigade and do gooders.

Shocking how it was so easy for them to give us all the tax payers a lovely big two finger salute and laughing with their feet up in a home paid for by us fools.

Wake up and report fraud if you know of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It was mentioned on The Last Word during the week that the highest uptake of citizenship in Ireland is from people who don't come from Europe. Africa had one of the highest rates of citizenship applications.

There is a reason for this, EU nationals don't need citizenship to live in Ireland long term.

Anyway you will always get fraud but I have a niggling feeling that some could be prevented if different state systems spoke better to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes people will argue Banks and other white collar crime but in all honesty I'm very well annoyed and if it were Irish I would be also very annoyed.

If one wants to bring up oh well we have our own doing it then that's fine but deserves it's own thread.

We here on this island are to giving and pander to the PC brigade and do gooders.

Let me tell you something about the pc brigade, their ilk, will be contributing f**k all in tax, to pay for the likes of this scandal! For the scandal that is the Irish welfare system...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You cant do that, they may have 4-10 irish children. Human rights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Did anybody else guess right after seeing the thread title?
    No, because we are not racist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    Hopefully they will be deported on release from jail.

Unfortunately that will never happen but if it were new Zealand or oz they would in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Unfortunately that will never happen but if it were new Zealand or oz they would in a heartbeat.

As far as I can tell, this couple have children who have been born and reared here, making them [the kids]Irish citizens.

I don't know how things work in N.Z or Australia as regards the deportation process, but I'm wondering if deporting a married couple minus their children is normal?

I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for it, and I am unsure why our immigration laws are so lax as to how all these non EU people can so easily and readily set up a nice cosy life for themselves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

We should be sending these people back almost as soon as they arrive in the first place. One asylum application dealt with in a matter of weeks and then 99% of them out when it is inevitably determined that they are chancers.

We are far too damn soft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fraudsters engaged in fraud, shocking stuff.

Advertisement