Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple in Kildare sentenced over 'one of largest welfare fraud cases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully they get a one way ticket back to Nigeria after they do some hard time in the joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I am outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

We need as national ID card that must be carried at all times.
    I lived in a country that had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Build a wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Public floggings may be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Kivaro wrote: »
    And with all the forging, lying, and stealing from Irish tax payers, one would have to wonder if there was a possibility of deceit when they applied for asylum in Ireland?

Interesting to note from the Court papers that: “some friends may have advised him” when he came to Ireland before he undertook the fraud.
    Would that imply that other Nigerians are also involved in similar scams and yet to be caught?

No, No No wash your mouth out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Great country this, come over here, go on unemployment benefit straight away at the height of the boom in this country. Have loads of kids get a free house, medical card, social welfare etc. Bloods my blood. Most of these nigerians come over when there was tonnes of work here, but most went on the dole and started firing out babies all paid for by us. Bunch of parasites.
    I worked since i was 15 never claimed a penny till i was 29. I went on disability for a year through complications with crohns disease. I got cut off after a year because i hadnt paid enough stamps. Even though i was fully employed for the 2 years previous. I had letters from the doctors stating i wasnt able to work, which i wasnt anyway. But the social said that because i was living at home, my father could support me. I might paint myself black the next i go down.

Great country this, come over here, go on unemployment benefit straight away at the height of the boom in this country. Have loads of kids get a free house, medical card, social welfare etc. Bloods my blood. Most of these nigerians come over when there was tonnes of work here, but most went on the dole and started firing out babies all paid for by us. Bunch of parasites.
    I worked since i was 15 never claimed a penny till i was 29. I went on disability for a year through complications with crohns disease. I got cut off after a year because i hadnt paid enough stamps. Even though i was fully employed for the 2 years previous. I had letters from the doctors stating i wasnt able to work, which i wasnt anyway. But the social said that because i was living at home, my father could support me. I might paint myself black the next i go down.

Even with this evidence out there now you'll still have people saying you can't just arrive here and get welfare, or sure don't our own do it, or my fav, well look at the banks first..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,665 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How can someone arrive from Nigeria and get benefits. Nigeria is not a war zone, how can you seek asylum, and flee your own perfectly stable country.

There is something particularly galling about people coming to your country claiming asylum and then fleecing you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

How can someone arrive from Nigeria and get benefits. Nigeria is not a war zone, how can you seek asylum, and flee your own perfectly stable country.

Asylum is sought under political or religious reasons. Fleeing a war zone you are classed as a refugee.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Asylum is sought under political or religious reasons.

It's bulls**t, it's needs a complete overhaul. Then this nonsense that we can't send them back regardless of the crimes they commit. But many of them go back anyway to visit family.

backspin. wrote:
    It's bulls**t, it's needs a complete overhaul. Then this nonsense that we can't send them back regardless of the crimes they commit. But many of them go back anyway to visit family.

Those that go visit family are Irish citizens. You can't leave the country if claiming asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

check out the amount of money which leaves ireland to nigeria yearly,thats if you want a heart attack

flutered wrote:
    check out the amount of money which leaves ireland to nigeria yearly,thats if you want a heart attack

If it's legally obtained, what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Citizenship can be revoked, the system is just to pathetic to do its job ..

19.—(1) The Minister may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied—

(a) that the issue of the certificate was procured by fraud, misrepresentation whether innocent or fraudulent, or concealment of material facts or circumstances, or

(b) that the person to whom it was granted has, by any overt act, shown himself to have failed in his duty of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State,[..]

Surely defrauding the state of so much money is covered by the second part?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

2 years for 400 grand. I'd do it myself with such paltry sentences. Where would you make 200k a year..

I think we'll see lots more benefit fraud as sentences like this will encourage it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turtwig; Did you delete the mob/populist-tainting-welfare-recipients post?

I was going to ask if you thought that the 'mob' in this instance are working people (those who pay tax).
    I thought
    "questioning" mods was a no-no and was punished with a warning? I know I got a yellow card on the soccer forum for such an offence. I await the appearance of said yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

The thing with terrible ideas is that they have a shelf life (if very lucky)

Hands up who thinks there'll be more jobs in the future?

How about more stable employment?

How about the cost of everyday life decreasing (insurance, homes, vehicles, food, water)?

As the ease of life to which most of us are accustomed slowly disappears, attention is going to fall like a ton of bricks on immigration, and especially on immigrants taking the piss.

The number of people living in poverty across the world decreased from 30% to 10% over the last 20 years. Who do you think is paying for that difference? Look around yourselves. Its a harsh, finite world, full of infinite stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While this might come across as a post you might see in a Twitter or Facebook rant but I've been told first hand from those involved in providing social housing that certain nationalities and travellers are fast tracked to the top of the list.
    As was said,we are a soft touch here. Arrive in the country with no interest in getting a job or live here all your life yet claim to be a separate ethnic minority and go get every benefit going.
    We've plenty who do come to Ireland to get work and better themselves but for all those that want to contribute there's a certain cohort who just want to milk the system.

• Advertisement

While this might come across as a post you might see in a Twitter or Facebook rant but I've been told first hand from those involved in providing social housing that certain nationalities and travellers are fast tracked to the top of the list.
    As was said,we are a soft touch here. Arrive in the country with no interest in getting a job or live here all your life yet claim to be a separate ethnic minority and go get every benefit going.
    We've plenty who do come to Ireland to get work and better themselves but for all those that want to contribute there's a certain cohort who just want to milk the system.

But, But, But didn't we go everywhere something racist something....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And with all the forging, lying, and stealing from Irish tax payers, one would have to wonder if there was a possibility of deceit when they applied for asylum in Ireland?

AFAIK, all Nigerian asylum-seekers are bogus, all of them.

There aren't any direct flights to Nigeria from Ireland, therefore they have broken the Dublin asylum convention.

It's odd that although these bogus AS say they are fleeing persecution, once they get residency here, they often return to Nigeria on holiday........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

backspin. wrote: »
    There is something particularly galling about people coming to your country claiming asylum and then fleecing you.

Spot on.

A genuine refugee would be thankful for sanctuary.

Geuze wrote: »
    AFAIK, all Nigerian asylum-seekers are bogus, all of them.

There aren't any direct flights to Nigeria from Ireland, therefore they have broken the Dublin asylum convention.

It's odd that although these bogus AS say they are fleeing persecution, once they get residency here, they often return to Nigeria on holiday........

100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Foreign couple come to Ireland and are cleverer than the local ****ing boards idiots. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

david75 wrote: »
    Foreign couple come to Ireland and are cleverer than the local ****ing boards idiots. Fair play to them.

Not that clever, they got caught. Unlike some of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Wonder what sentence they'd get in Nigeria for robbing the country of 400k.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

blueser wrote: »
    I thought
    "questioning" mods was a no-no and was punished with a warning? I know I got a yellow card on the soccer forum for such an offence. I await the appearance of said yellow card.

Looking through the AH mod list

No, I don't see Turtwig

:confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not that clever, they got caught. Unlike some of our own.

If only all these social and legal experts on boards had as much time to devote to actual Irish people with genuine problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

As far as I can tell, this couple have children who have been born and reared here, making them [the kids]Irish citizens.

No, not necessarily. It depends on the age of the kids. Since Jan 1 2005 its no longer the case that someone born on the island of Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen. You have to have at least on Irish citizen parent for citizenship to be automatic. The family arrived in 2006 so it's highly unlikely any of the children are automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. If the parents have somehow secured citizenship, there is grounds for revoking it if it was secured through deception (which seems likely in this case), which then invalidates the citizenship of the children who were dependent on that.

And even if the kids are Irish citizens, it shouldn't have any effect on the deportation of the parents. Their kids citizenship (if they have such) is not affected. They can remain in Ireland if they choose, or accompany their parents if they prefer. Nigeria is not a dangerous country for Irish citizens, there is a full embassy.

Deportation of these chancers is perfectly valid and achievable. Its simply a question of if there is appropriate interest in doing so.

Advertisement