Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Mahoney RIP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

one of my favourite lines from fraiser, my all time favourite show, is in one of first few episodes where fraiser and martin are discussing where daphine could sleep and martin suggests the study

fraiser... "you expect me to give up my study a place where I do my most profound thinking
    martin... ah use the can like the rest of the world .
    I loved him from that line on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I am heartened to see how many people love Frasier. More than ten years ago I bought myself the entire set of DVDs and accidentally kick started an enduring and somewhat peculiar addiction. I genuinely am addicted to watching it, over and over and over. It's like comfort food to me. In fact, a while ago there was a thread on here called "What are you addicted to" and I was going to post about my addiction to watching Frasier.

I do watch other things, but I put Frasier on the same way I'd put on music and there just isn't any limit to how often I can have it playing. I live alone but in 2016 someone lived with me for eight months and I didn't watch it even once while he was here. The day he moved out one of the first things I did was put season one on to play and just like that I was back to watching it over and over and over. Well, I say watching but sometimes it's just background noise or something to help me sleep - like the sounds of the rainforest Niles insists on playing when he's between homes and staying in Frasier's for a while :)

I reckon I've watched (and listened to) it five, six maybe even seven hundred times and it still makes me laugh. Occasionally I've worried about myself, because, well, it is a little weird but after reading this thread I feel better about my little secret.

So, although I was sad to hear the news John Mahoney had passed away, I am delighted to see how much the show is loved by so many others too. I'd probably fit in well with that weird little fan club Frasier discovered existed in the Good Grief episode...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Saw him in a play in the Abbey ages ago called "The drawer boy". Always loved him in Frasier too, he had a great way of mixing comedy with pathos.
    RIP

Yeah, I saw the play too, and it was a privilege to see John performing in it. I think it was back in 2002. The time flies!
    jmayo wrote: »
    Actually there were a couple of Eddies if I remember correctly hearing John Mahoney in an interview talk about them.

Eddie (Moose) son Enzo started doubling for him doing stunts as he was getting older.

Actually I am not sure if he always got on with Eddie.
    I think I recall him saying that Eddie (or son of eddie) blew hot and cold, he was different when the cameras rolled.

They used to dab pate or sardine oil on them so that the dog would lick them.

Anyway another great memorial actor departs the scene.
    By all accounts he was a nice guy to boot.

I was only reading yesterday that Kelsey Grammer stated that John Mahoney hated Moose (the original Eddie), as the dog would bite him.

Moose's son, Enzo, took over as Eddie in later episodes. It has been said as Moose had become so old and grey, his faded markings had to be painted back on.

As a big Frasier fan, I was saddened to hear about John Mahoney's passing. Martin Crane was a brilliant character, and John played him very well. It's hard to pick out a specific favourite Martin moment, as there were so many.

For those of you, who may not know, John appeared in an episode of Cheers. The character had been hired to come up with a jingle for the bar.

From all the tributes, and from things said about him in the past, it shows that John was an all round great guy, who was well loved, and who will no doubt be very much missed by all who knew him personally, and by those who watched him on screen and on stage over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

briany wrote: »
    Funny thing is that outside of the show it was really Mahoney who enjoyed going to the Opera. He used to school Grammer and Hyde-Pierce about it.

Yes, Mahoney was supposedly very refined in real life. Loved art as well as opera. Meanwhile, Grammer was rolling onto the set hungover and marrying strippers. :P Whatever, they're both hilarious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I am heartened to see how many people love Frasier. More than ten years ago I bought myself the entire set of DVDs and accidentally kick started an enduring and somewhat peculiar addiction. I genuinely am addicted to watching it, over and over and over. It's like comfort food to me. In fact, a while ago there was a thread on here called "What are you addicted to" and I was going to post about my addiction to watching Frasier.

I do watch other things, but I put Frasier on the same way I'd put on music and there just isn't any limit to how often I can have it playing. I live alone but in 2016 someone lived with me for eight months and I didn't watch it even once while he was here. The day he moved out one of the first things I did was put season one on to play and just like that I was back to watching it over and over and over. Well, I say watching but sometimes it's just background noise or something to help me sleep - like the sounds of the rainforest Niles insists on playing when he's between homes and staying in Frasier's for a while :)

I reckon I've watched (and listened to) it five, six maybe even seven hundred times and it still makes me laugh. Occasionally I've worried about myself, because, well, it is a little weird but after reading this thread I feel better about my little secret.

So, although I was sad to hear the news John Mahoney had passed away, I am delighted to see how much the show is loved by so many others too. I'd probably fit in well with that weird little fan club Frasier discovered existed in the Good Grief episode...:)

you are not alone I also watch Frasier over and over .I love it on in the back round while im cooking and I watch a few episode in bed every night to wind down .its my comfort blanket and I love it

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's my treat on a (rare) day off to myself, drop kids to school and back home for coffee and an hour of Frasier on Channel 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Awwwwwww

He was a great character on Fraiser.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

you are not alone I also watch Frasier over and over .I love it on in the back round while im cooking and I watch a few episode in bed every night to wind down .its my comfort blanket and I love it

Oh my goodness, Skylight, I'm delighted to learn I'm not alone. When I posted last night I absolutely was not expecting to find I had a twin :)

A comfort blanket is exactly what it is. Maybe doctors should be recommending a few episodes a day as medicine for people suffering from stress :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, Skylight, I'm delighted to learn I'm not alone. When I posted last night I absolutely was not expecting to find I had a twin :)

A comfort blanket is exactly what it is. Maybe doctors should be recommending a few episodes a day as medicine for people suffering from stress :p

When I was out of work I used watch it everyday on loop almost!

Advertisement