Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Mahoney RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

seamus wrote: »
    It's funny what white hair and pretending to walk with a cane, can do to change your perspective on a character/person.

Mahoney was only 54 when he started on Frasier, just 16 years older than Grammer, yet you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a retired man in his late 60's.

Ditch the cane and lightly dye his hair a bit darker and it could easily have been a sitcom about 3 40-something single men trying to make it in life; a male Golden Girls.

I dunno. He was 48/49 in Say Anything and playing about the same age because he's the father of someone who is 17/18. His hair is darker. But he still looked way older than 49. He just had an old head, nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Writer Ken Levine, who wrote many episodes of Cheers and Frasier (among others), tells an interesting story about John Mahoney here. John was in one episode of Cheers, cast at the last minute to replace another actor who apparently suffered a major episode of stagefright and just bolted from the set after rehearsals. They re-cast the role with John and shot those scenes the following week. That role was where he impressed the producers and writers who went on to produce Frasier.

On another page, Frasier creator Peter Casey tells how he pictured John for the role of Martin Crane from the vrey start:
    When we pitched the character of Martin, we said to picture John Mahoney. Warren [Littlefield, NBC President] said if we could get John, he was also pre-approved.
    About halfway through writing the pilot script, Kerry McCluggage, the new President of Paramount Television, told us that he had spoken with John Mahoney regarding playing Frasier’s father. Kerry had a relationship with John dating back to Kerry’s days at Universal Studios where John had done a dramatic series called “The Human Factor.” John said he would like to meet with us and discuss FRASIER. We said that was great and could Kerry set up a meeting. He told us he had, but there was a catch. John wasn’t coming to meet us. We were going to meet John and that meant the three of us were flying to Chicago because that’s where John lived. The plan was we’d fly in the morning, arrive in the afternoon, have dinner with John, then return to LA the next morning. We were on a roll with the script so we weren’t thrilled about having to break our momentum. On the other hand, dinner in Chicago with John Mahoney sounded pretty cool so we went. It was late January or early February, cold, with snow on the ground, but what did we care? Paramount put us up at The Four Seasons and had provided us with a car and driver. We met John and Kerry at a restaurant called Shaw’s Crab House. Being a member of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company, John was quite a local celebrity, so restaurant patrons were constantly stopping by the table or waving across the room. John was absolutely charming with everyone. Over dinner we pitched John the series concept, went into the character of Martin and his relationship with Frasier, and outlined the plot of the pilot episode. John was definitely interested, but he wouldn’t commit until he had read the pilot. Fair enough. We returned to LA the next morning and resumed writing with renewed enthusiasm picturing John Mahoney as Martin Crane.

It took us another week to finish the script, so two weeks total. I have to say it was one of the easiest scripts I’ve ever written. Everything seemed to flow naturally. This gave us a very good feeling about the project, but of course you never know how others are going to react to it. We sent it over to the Paramount executive offices and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Kerry McCluggage immediately FedEx’d it to John Mahoney. The next day we received an enthusiastic “yes” from John. Months later in LA, John told me he’d read through a two foot stack of pilots before the FRASIER script arrived and our script was so superior that it was the only project he wanted to do.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Am I right in thinking he was from, The Chicago School of Acting? Heard and interview with him on radio some years ago, very interesting guy. Think he did a play at the Abbey, at the time. RIP.
    In Faiser, good writing, makes good acting easier, and they were all good actors, and the rest takes care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Water John wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking he was from, The Chicago School of Acting? Heard and interview with him on radio some years ago, very interesting guy. Think he did a play at the Abbey, at the time. RIP.
    In Frasier, good writing, makes good acting easier, and they were all good actors, and the rest takes care of itself.
    I just added more to my post above. He was in the Steppenwolf Theatre Company.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Saw him in a play in the Abbey ages ago called "The drawer boy". Always loved him in Frasier too, he had a great way of mixing comedy with pathos.
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Sad news. Great character in a great series. Enjoyed one of his Galway appearances

I found John's own life story very interesting when I read about it in an article a while back. Born in the UK to an English mother and Irish father who did not get on, he jumped at the chance to be sponsored to move to America by his sister who had moved over there as a war bride. He went to university there and enlisted in the US Army to speed up the citizenship process. He worked hard on acquiring an American accent. He became an English professor and edited a medical journal. He became dissatisfied with his career in his 30s and decided to try acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I was just watching him in "The Hudsucker Proxy" a few days ago:

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Even though he didn't have a huge role in Dan in Real Life, I thought he was great in it. Played a great father figure, himself and Diane Weist worked well together. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

One of my favourite ‘Martin’ episodes in Frasier was the one where he pretended to be gay so that Frasier could spend more time with a woman he liked. It was hilarious of course, but had that lovely heart warming core where Martin was willing to do something he was so uncomfortable with just to try and help his son.

• Advertisement

A favourite Frasier and Martin moment:

*Martin is exasperated, looking for the remote*

Frasier: What was it like in the old days when you actually had to get up to change the channel?

Martin: It was HELL.

Something about Mahoney’s delivery of the line is hilarious. I think it also underlines why he was such a resonant character. He’s the one most people could identify with and was crucial to deflating the pomposity of Niles and Frasier. (while often being every bit as smart as them)

That quote is from one of the best episodes, Look Before You Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

ncmc wrote: »
    One of my favourite ‘Martin’ episodes in Frasier was the one where he pretended to be gay so that Frasier could spend more time with a woman he liked. It was hilarious of course, but had that lovely heart warming core where Martin was willing to do something he was so uncomfortable with just to try and help his son.

What straight man remembers Renata Tibaldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What straight man remembers Renata Tibaldi!

I have news for you, you're on a date!

I love Frasier, and I'm very sad to see Mahoney passed on. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

Funny thing is that outside of the show it was really Mahoney who enjoyed going to the Opera. He used to school Grammer and Hyde-Pierce about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Here’s a great piece from the New Stateman about how the theme of the show was really the relationship between Martin and Frasier, which was pretty hostile to begin with. And what is gained or lost by moving social classes. The famous chair stands at the centre of their relationship. Worth a read.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/08/martin-cranes-hideous-chair-was-true-star-frasier?amp

From this article:

Martin: Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. You know, I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair. Come on, Eddie.

Just got something in my eye now....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My favourite sitcom, very sad to hear this last night. Spent a lot of time in work remembering the scenes. Such a great character, written well but portrayed brilliantly by John Mahoney. Will raise a beer to him watching it this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

silverharp wrote: »
    just noticed Eddie passed away in 2006

Actually there were a couple of Eddies if I remember correctly hearing John Mahoney in an interview talk about them.

Eddie (Moose) son Enzo started doubling for him doing stunts as he was getting older.
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Eddie and Martin, what a double act.

Actually I am not sure if he always got on with Eddie.
    I think I recall him saying that Eddie (or son of eddie) blew hot and cold, he was different when the cameras rolled.

They used to dab pate or sardine oil on them so that the dog would lick them.

Anyway another great memorial actor departs the scene.
    By all accounts he was a nice guy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

One of many favourite lines.....when he's reading the obituary of another Martin crane....."survived by his 2 sons ....Joe a marine Corp colonel and mickey a professional baseball player". ....(puts paper down )...'nuttin like startin the day off jealous of a dead guy'

Or

When frasier suspecta maris having an affair and Martin trying to convince him there are any amount of German fencing students in seattle.
    Frasier :yes but are they wealthy students ?
    Martin: no!!! they're inner city kids trying to fight their way out of the ghetto with nothing but a foil and a dream!!!

His delivery /timing/ tone was always perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually there were a couple of Eddies if I remember correctly hearing John Mahoney in an interview talk about them.

Eddie (Moose) son Enzo started doubling for him doing stunts as he was getting older.

I think I recall him saying that Eddie (or son of eddie) blew hot and cold, he was different when the cameras rolled.

Eddie and Martin are characters though!
    You can add John and Moose to the list of actors (pushing it for a the dog) that didn't get on!

Moose was the dog in My Dog Skip. Don't watch it, it's a lovely movie, but don't watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Was discussing this last night with a friend. He had never seen Frasier. Serious facepalm. I couldn't believe it.
    I watched a few episodes over Christmas, hadn't seen for a long time. Might dust off the boxset at the weekend and go from the beginning.
    RIP Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

one of my favourite lines from fraiser, my all time favourite show, is in one of first few episodes where fraiser and martin are discussing where daphine could sleep and martin suggests the study

fraiser... "you expect me to give up my study a place where I do my most profound thinking
    martin... ah use the can like the rest of the world .
    I loved him from that line on

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I am heartened to see how many people love Frasier. More than ten years ago I bought myself the entire set of DVDs and accidentally kick started an enduring and somewhat peculiar addiction. I genuinely am addicted to watching it, over and over and over. It's like comfort food to me. In fact, a while ago there was a thread on here called "What are you addicted to" and I was going to post about my addiction to watching Frasier.

I do watch other things, but I put Frasier on the same way I'd put on music and there just isn't any limit to how often I can have it playing. I live alone but in 2016 someone lived with me for eight months and I didn't watch it even once while he was here. The day he moved out one of the first things I did was put season one on to play and just like that I was back to watching it over and over and over. Well, I say watching but sometimes it's just background noise or something to help me sleep - like the sounds of the rainforest Niles insists on playing when he's between homes and staying in Frasier's for a while :)

I reckon I've watched (and listened to) it five, six maybe even seven hundred times and it still makes me laugh. Occasionally I've worried about myself, because, well, it is a little weird but after reading this thread I feel better about my little secret.

So, although I was sad to hear the news John Mahoney had passed away, I am delighted to see how much the show is loved by so many others too. I'd probably fit in well with that weird little fan club Frasier discovered existed in the Good Grief episode...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Saw him in a play in the Abbey ages ago called "The drawer boy". Always loved him in Frasier too, he had a great way of mixing comedy with pathos.
    RIP

Yeah, I saw the play too, and it was a privilege to see John performing in it. I think it was back in 2002. The time flies!
    jmayo wrote: »

I was only reading yesterday that Kelsey Grammer stated that John Mahoney hated Moose (the original Eddie), as the dog would bite him.

Moose's son, Enzo, took over as Eddie in later episodes. It has been said as Moose had become so old and grey, his faded markings had to be painted back on.

As a big Frasier fan, I was saddened to hear about John Mahoney's passing. Martin Crane was a brilliant character, and John played him very well. It's hard to pick out a specific favourite Martin moment, as there were so many.

For those of you, who may not know, John appeared in an episode of Cheers. The character had been hired to come up with a jingle for the bar.

From all the tributes, and from things said about him in the past, it shows that John was an all round great guy, who was well loved, and who will no doubt be very much missed by all who knew him personally, and by those who watched him on screen and on stage over the years.

briany wrote: »
    Funny thing is that outside of the show it was really Mahoney who enjoyed going to the Opera. He used to school Grammer and Hyde-Pierce about it.

Yes, Mahoney was supposedly very refined in real life. Loved art as well as opera. Meanwhile, Grammer was rolling onto the set hungover and marrying strippers. :P Whatever, they're both hilarious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I am heartened to see how many people love Frasier. More than ten years ago I bought myself the entire set of DVDs and accidentally kick started an enduring and somewhat peculiar addiction. I genuinely am addicted to watching it, over and over and over. It's like comfort food to me. In fact, a while ago there was a thread on here called "What are you addicted to" and I was going to post about my addiction to watching Frasier.

I do watch other things, but I put Frasier on the same way I'd put on music and there just isn't any limit to how often I can have it playing. I live alone but in 2016 someone lived with me for eight months and I didn't watch it even once while he was here. The day he moved out one of the first things I did was put season one on to play and just like that I was back to watching it over and over and over. Well, I say watching but sometimes it's just background noise or something to help me sleep - like the sounds of the rainforest Niles insists on playing when he's between homes and staying in Frasier's for a while :)

I reckon I've watched (and listened to) it five, six maybe even seven hundred times and it still makes me laugh. Occasionally I've worried about myself, because, well, it is a little weird but after reading this thread I feel better about my little secret.

So, although I was sad to hear the news John Mahoney had passed away, I am delighted to see how much the show is loved by so many others too. I'd probably fit in well with that weird little fan club Frasier discovered existed in the Good Grief episode...:)

you are not alone I also watch Frasier over and over .I love it on in the back round while im cooking and I watch a few episode in bed every night to wind down .its my comfort blanket and I love it

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's my treat on a (rare) day off to myself, drop kids to school and back home for coffee and an hour of Frasier on Channel 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Awwwwwww

He was a great character on Fraiser.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

you are not alone I also watch Frasier over and over .I love it on in the back round while im cooking and I watch a few episode in bed every night to wind down .its my comfort blanket and I love it

Oh my goodness, Skylight, I'm delighted to learn I'm not alone. When I posted last night I absolutely was not expecting to find I had a twin :)

A comfort blanket is exactly what it is. Maybe doctors should be recommending a few episodes a day as medicine for people suffering from stress :p

Advertisement