Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tigger wrote: »
    Good Friday is a Public holiday same as paddy’s at
    Paddy’s day is also sometimes a bank holiday although no this year
    People will continue to party on good Friday

Good Friday is absolutely not a public holiday. It is a bank holiday, a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Make Good Friday great again. Don't think I'll bother going to the pub now that I have a choice.
    Time for a campaign for Christmas Day opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

AMKC wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

dont think its much about not going to the pub for a day and more to do with not having the church dictate when something can and cannot be done.
    I mean its not like those drunks were sober cause of the pubs being closed

The Good Friday house parties will be just pointless now. Stupid normal Fridays

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Good Friday house parties will be just pointless now. Stupid normal Fridays

they are not normal, you can't bring a meat platter to the party

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    they are not normal, you can't bring a meat platter to the party

Stupid nearly normal Fridays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

splinter65 wrote: »
    For a lot of public servants Dec 8 was and continues to be yet another extra days annual leave.
    A day to get your Christmas shopping.
    My brother a public servant retired there at 55 last year and he still got it, but he was still getting an hour off per week to cash his pay Cheque too, despite being paid monthly by electronic transfer.

Thats horse crap, I am a public servant, december the 8th is no day off for us and hasn't been in years. Also the time for cashing cheques disappeared years ago and even at that you got 30 minutes not an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

seamus wrote: »
    Paddy's Day is a public holiday and a national celebration though.

Good Friday is neither. The only reason people partied on Good Friday is because it was banned. Any excuse for a piss up. Now that excuse is gone.

It's before a bank holiday weekend too.

Will be a standard enough Friday really, probably quieter actually with the reason above

Anyhow this was always going to happen sooner rather than later. I'm sure it'll eventually happen for Christmas Day too - some nightclubs are opening at 12.00am St Stephen's Day anyhow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like a lot of work, might just go for a pint instead.

Wheres your sense of adventure Boomy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

You do realise they are entitled to holidays same as everyone else right?

They don't actually work every other day of the year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

This is what happens when people stop saying the rosary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭georgina toadbum

This is going to suck the fun out of drinking of Good Friday.
    I only ever wanted to do it because I was told I wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

yeah, it allowed them to be off on a Friday and head out themselves for a drink. Sad. Wait...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

There's these things called annual holidays you might not have heard about?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Wheres your sense of adventure Boomy :P
    That is my sense of humour. :pac:

Although I did make a quip about 'lashing' pints a few posts back which is the darker side of my humour that nobody seemed to pick up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Good Friday is absolutely not a public holiday. It is a bank holiday, a big difference.

I don't think Good Friday is officially a Bank Holiday.
    Some companies give it as a day off and call it a Company Day - other companies it's just a normal working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think if the hospitality staff can’t have it off, nobody should have it off. Don’t you agree?

Lots of people don't have it off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Having worked in a rural pub, I can confirm that Good Friday was never a day off. It was one of the busiest days of the year. It was an all-day lock-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

For a lot of public servants Dec 8 was and continues to be yet another extra days annual leave.
    My brother a public servant retired there at 55 last year and he still got it, but he was still getting an hour off per week to cash his pay Cheque too, despite being paid monthly by electronic transfer.

What are you on about? I worked in the Public Sector for years and we never, ever got Dec 8th off.

My father was also a public servant and he never got 8th December off either, and he would have been a lot older than your brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Having worked in a rural pub, I can confirm that Good Friday was never a day off. It was one of the busiest days of the year. It was an all-day lock-in.

that's terribly bold!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

For the tourists....yes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

It's a start but I won't be happy until we have 24/7 off-licences. I don't drink anymore but running out off booze was one of the biggest nuisances on a night out.
    Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

Every time there's a thread on this subject, this stupid argument always pops up. By saying we can't do without the pub for one day implies all 4.8 million people in this country spend the other 364 days in the pub, which is obviously a load of bollocks or else this country would resemble an Indigenous Australian community nearly where everyone is unemployed and drunk.

All we want is the choice to drink on whatever day and at whatever time we see fit. Just because someone want to drink on Good Friday, it doesn't mean they drink the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tigger wrote: »
    Good Friday is a Public holiday same as paddy’s at
    No, it's not.
    Paddy’s day is also sometimes a bank holiday although no this year
    Paddy's day is always a public holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

BattleCorp wrote: »

I saw this is killorglin many years ago. It was like a christmas party, but in a pub in a town that otherwise showed no sign of life, except for the garda on the door, who would occasionally go inside to make sure 'nothing was going on' when the garda inside came out for his turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

December 8th is a holy day when the schools are off and because of that it was a popular day to bring the kids Christmas shopping.

I've been in the public service for 27 years and have never had it off except when it fell on a Saturday or Sunday.

Bank time, which has now been abolished, was only a half hour per pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good decision this.

Our laws should not be dictated by old church demands that they don't even demand any more.

Let adults decide for themselves what they want to do.

I think the alcohol ban led to more binge drinking and drink related incidents than a normal Friday night.

Also, can people please stop this thing about bar staff and time off. They get time off just like the rest of us and bars have rosters that give Fridays off etc.

They are also off when most crawl out of bed on a Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Now we can have more threads giving out about the price of drink in pubs, and why no one goes to them because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

daheff wrote: »
    Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

I don’t know anyone outside of public sector workers who got Good Friday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That is my sense of humour. :pac:

Although I did make a quip about 'lashing' pints a few posts back which is the darker side of my humour that nobody seemed to pick up on.

Bit of a thorny issue for some, but I thought your post nailed it

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What? Good Friday was a huge day for big messy house parties. I have never read such a flimsy argument.

Advertisement