Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

New Good Friday tradition - the 14 pubs of Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Not like its a holiday, I'll be in work as usual on the Night shift

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

They're not working 365 days a year so will still have days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This whole thing is such a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

For most people - I reckon - it had nothing to do with not being able to drink one day of the year, it was being told "you can't drink on this day of the year because of my religious beliefs".

I don't fancy being dictated to in my personal life because some cunts think there's another larger judgmental cunt who lives in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tigger wrote: »
    Nope
    Paddy’s day was drink banned and look whatvhappened there
    Paddy's Day is a public holiday and a national celebration though.

Good Friday is neither. The only reason people partied on Good Friday is because it was banned. Any excuse for a piss up. Now that excuse is gone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

valoren wrote: »
    New Good Friday tradition - the 14 pubs of Easter.

There has to be some sort of game there about 'lashing' pints

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

I think the ban on sales is mad and usually stock up the day before, and moan and complain that its a stupid ban.

Now i dont like that the ban is lifted, the obstacles are removed grrrr

poker night cancelled grrrr:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Pretty sure they get more than one day off a year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have no interest in going to the pub on Good Friday but I'll be damned if my choice is taken away from me.
    I welcome this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It also meant that part-time workers that might only do a regular one or two nights a week were down money that week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think we should boycott pubs on Good Friday for the craic now

And make it the official “Let’s all go to the Off Licence day” with the proviso that we all have to buy/try something that we’ve never had before,

...as well as our usual selection of fine spirits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Whaaat??? But what about all the people who want to make a point by going to the pub on Good Friday, whether it really suits them to go or not.

Just go to the off licence instead..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

And make it the official “Let’s all go to the Off Licence day” with the proviso that we all have to buy/try something that we’ve never had before,

...as well as our usual selection of fine spirits.

No no no..... 12 Offies of Easter

You go to Offie 1 and buy something new
    Then to Offie 2 and buy something new not tried before
    Offie 3 same again, all the way up to Offie 12 where you buy your normal selection, then as soon as its all bought down it as quick as possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

That's a shame. Good Friday house parties were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But they'd be working the other 3 days anyway??

If you could get the weekend off it’d mean you’d actually have 4 days.
    But that’s all over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

AMKC wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. Next thing is people will want the pubs open on Christmas day as well. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

Perfect 'won't someone think of the children' reaction. Thank you. I will make sure to be present and correct in a pub at 11am on Good Friday toasting how satisfying this post is.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Pretty sure they get more than one day off a year already.

I think if the hospitality staff can’t have it off, nobody should have it off. Don’t you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jonnycivic wrote: »

Offie 3 same again, all the way up to Offie 12 where you buy your normal selection, then as soon as its all bought down it as quick as possible :D

Sounds like a lot of work, might just go for a pint instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

daheff wrote: »
    Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

They should make it an official Bank Holiday - like an Ireland/National day like what was recommended in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

I assume that the politicians have the housing & health service crisis fixed if they had time to spend debating this?

marvin80 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping a bar or hotel from closing for a day or two to give their staff a day off

But if all the other bars and hotels are going to be open then that would be business suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You do know that bar staff don't work 363 days a year with only Good Friday and Christmas off?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Stations of the Pub

14 pubs, in each you down an increasingly more horrific shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

WTF falls on Dec 6th?

Culchie Christmas shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

seamus wrote: »
    Paddy's Day is a public holiday and a national celebration though.

Good Friday is neither. The only reason people partied on Good Friday is because it was banned. Any excuse for a piss up. Now that excuse is gone.

Good Friday is a Public holiday same as paddy’s at
    Paddy’s day is also sometimes a bank holiday although no this year
    People will continue to party on good Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

AMKC wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. I think this is very sad that people could not just do without going to the pub for one day. This will just mean more drunks ending up in hospitals and more problems for our already overcrowded and understaffed hospitals and emergency services.

Fair point, I missed the stipulation that it was being made compulsory to go to the pub

• Advertisement

WTF falls on Dec 6th?

For a lot of public servants Dec 8 was and continues to be yet another extra days annual leave.
    A day to get your Christmas shopping.
    My brother a public servant retired there at 55 last year and he still got it, but he was still getting an hour off per week to cash his pay Cheque too, despite being paid monthly by electronic transfer.

Advertisement