Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems/Routers compatible with VDSL in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

hi, my eir f2000 modem packed in tonight.. the lan connection between it and the white box on the wall seems to have failed. They are sending me a new one but i wont have it til Monday earliest. Question is, i have a draytek vigor 2850, will this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anything will work if you have an ONT (white box on wall) in which case this is the wrong thread. If the white box is an NTU (phone socket) then its NOT a LAN connection you need.....

Update: Going to correct thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

no its not a phone box...i have fibre to the home.. and there are two white boxes on wall. there is a thin cabke connecting these and an ethernet cable from the larger one into the f2000 wan socket

edit.. the white box is a Huawei GPON terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Anyone have the TP-LINK TD-W9970 working with vdsl2 and vectoring ?

Thinking about trying this and testing LEDE on it assuming vectoring will work with none stock firmware

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5728882/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C50000560%7CNetworking%7C50000563/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000563%7CRouters%7C50000590.htm

The website shows support for the following standards.

VDSL2 Standards
    ITU-T G.993.2
    ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
    ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html

If you're on the slower side of the scale it might be worth it but if you sync at 70+ then the loss of 5Ghz makes it a crap buy.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If you're on the slower side of the scale it might be worth it but if you sync at 70+ then the loss of 5Ghz makes it a crap buy.

I only have a h658c from Vodafone which doesn’t offer 5ghz anyway.

Currently I’m using an unlocked f1000 (firmware version 16) which gives much better throughout than the h658c.

I’m using an Apple airport for my 5ghz needs which is solid.

Max I get is 70/20 which is dynamically rate adjusted to around 58/20 during peak hours.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Max I get is 70/20 which is dynamically rate adjusted to around 58/20 during peak hours.

We dont do DLM, so if its dropping you're really over provisioned.

We dont do DLM, so if its dropping you're really over provisioned.

I’m fairly certain my line dynamically adjust from 70 down to 58 without a resync.

Let me verify that tonight.

Yeah, its Rate Adaptive profiling (you dont have IPTV from your provider) but a significantly varying sync regularly precedes instability.

Yeah, its Rate Adaptive profiling (you dont have IPTV from your provider) but a significantly varying sync regularly precedes instability.

Ah ok, makes sense.

My rate has dropped from 70.567 Mbps at 5pm to 69.225 Mbps at 8.30pm - this is with an unlocked f1000

The Vodafone hg658c drops much lower to just below 60 Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

Hi Folks,

I have F2000 and I want to use it instead of the crap Vodafone modem,
    What do I need to edit? I tried with F1000 of a friend of mine and it works fine without a problem, but the settings in the F2000 are different,
    can you advise, please? is vodafone@vodafone.ie pw:broadband vlan:10 is enough or should I edit something

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Pretty sure they are the same modem?

I bought the Asus dsl ac88u to replace the D7000 from Netgear. It works but I found the Netgear better so i'm returning it.
    I get 100/20 and Max 135/26

rabii wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have F2000 and I want to use it instead of the crap Vodafone modem,
    What do I need to edit? I tried with F1000 of a friend of mine and it works fine without a problem, but the settings in the F2000 are different,
    can you advise, please? is vodafone@vodafone.ie pw:broadband vlan:10 is enough or should I edit something

The F2000 = HG659. Vodafone ship both 659 and 658. If you have an 8, get a free upgrade from VF. If you have a 9 changing is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MFenix

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are the same modem?

I bought the Asus dsl ac88u to replace the D7000 from Netgear. It works but I found the Netgear better so i'm returning it.
    I get 100/20 and Max 135/26

^^ Thanks for this info. Out of interest, did you choose the D7000 because you got better broadband speeds than the ac88u, or just because you preferred it in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Got one of these from Germany:
    https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces/SFP/Kupfer/SFP-VDSL2-Modem-Telco::2192.html

It doesn't give me any DSL stats, but the advantage is I can run it on Baby Jumbos and my provider supports that. That way, my PPPoE session connects with a MTU of 1500. It does support vectoring.

My Fritz!Box 7560 is connecting at 100/20. SNR Receive 15dB/Send 10dB. Line attenuation 12 dB both ways.

Then stuck the VDSL SFP into a Mikrotik router and Speedtest reveals, I'm not doing too bad at all:

7026532409.png
    This is with traffic already on the line, so it's pretty much 100/20.

/M

A friend picked up on of those SFP's in Australia, like yourself using it on a Mikrotik on a Vodafone VDSL2 and working out very well for him. Nice to have just one unit at play.

mr_alli wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have a fritz box 7390 for almost a year now but I was using it as a second router as I didnt know how to setup the router on Eir and didnt have time but now Im with Vodafone and have the time to play around to set it as my main router, but my as i see its not that easy as plug and play. Now I dont know what setting do I have to change to make it work on Vodafone would someone be able to somewhat help me out?
    Thank

Start your own thread. This is specifically for listing working/non working.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

The F2000 = HG659. Vodafone ship both 659 and 658. If you have an 8, get a free upgrade from VF. If you have a 9 changing is pointless.

I have a 659 and the wifi is so bad atm,
    Is it really pointless trying a different router.
    My wired connection seems solid but even if I leave the room the wifi is trash.
    This is the second 659 they have sent out.
    At the start of the contract wifi was solid but has just gotten worse recently.

Is it really pointless trying a different router.
    Its pointless to try an F2000, its not pointless to buy something decent off the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Its pointless to try an F2000, its not pointless to buy something decent off the shelf.

Can the voda modem be bridged and a decent router used instead?

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Can the voda modem be bridged and a decent router used instead?

Why would you not replace it entirely ?

And yes, it can be bridged.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

What about this 40"euro job.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5728882/Trail/searchtext>Router.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mickey_dodger

Hi All,

Read thru this thread with interest as I am not happy with the F2000 that Eir have installed. Apologies first of all for being somewhat off topic, but I have searched and failed to find any info on how to configure a D7000 to work with Eir VDSL broadband. The problem is that I can get it to work, but the D7000 loses internet connectivity after a period of time, the DSL LED indicates still being in sync and a reboot of the D7000 restores connectivity but it just keeps happening randomly, so I had to go back to the F2000. The D7000 I got (PCWorld) has a kind of wizard that lets you select Eir as your provider and sets up the connection and it works for a while, could be several days or several hours. Maybe there is something missing or incorrectly set? Would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, I am no expert but not a complete newcomer either and if I had some reasonable documentation I can probably figure it out for myself.
    I have FTTC, so a copper pair terminated on an RJ11 but it is a VDSL type of broadband. I get around 40MB dnload and 10MB upload. There is no FTTH in my area (Spiddal, Co. Galway) as yet. The F2000 has very poor WiFi and it randomly disconnects Wifi and Ethernet connections, seems like an IP address issue, but not too sure and Eir helpdesk unable to resolve.

Thanks in advance

Your D7000 issues sound like either a faultly router or incompatibility to the Huawei DSLAM that OpenEIR uses.

Your F2000 issues are because those things just are sh*t.

But some signal/attenuation data from the router configuration would help to identify what you can expect from your line and if there is an issue with it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mickey_dodger

Thank you Marlow for response, I will have to reinstall the D7000 and capture some logs and I will make these available. Should I start a separate thread for this?

Thanks

Yes, new thread.

A manual IPoE setup might work better than the auto PPPoE I suspect its doing. Start the thread and we'll advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I have Eir in my last house and got a TP-Link Archer VR600 / AC1600 off Amazon - excellent VDSL router and very easy to setup (has Eir as an option).

81%2BSwBcisGL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DAZPDXK/
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/Archer-VR600.html

It is dear enough now £90/€100 but completely worth it in my opinion. I use it now as an AP. I actually cancelled my Eir too early in my last house before leaving and the neighbours let me use their WiFi details, this has as network extender function too and can scan / connect and repeat any network signal once you know the passwor.d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

advertsfox wrote: »
    I have Eir in my last house and got a TP-Link Archer VR600 / AC1600 off Amazon - excellent VDSL router and very easy to setup (has Eir as an option).

81%2BSwBcisGL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DAZPDXK/
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/Archer-VR600.html

It is dear enough now £90/€100 but completely worth it in my opinion. I use it now as an AP. I actually cancelled my Eir too early in my last house before leaving and the neighbours let me use their WiFi details, this has as network extender function too and can scan / connect and repeat any network signal once you know the passwor.d

Are you sure it supports vectoring, there's no mention of it in the specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Are you sure it supports vectoring, there's no mention of it in the specs?
    Yes mate, used mine for nearly 2 years on eFibre. The datasheet on the site (link above) shows the full specifications:
    * VDSL2 Standards: ITU G.993.2, Up to 17a profile (POTS)
    ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
    ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)

* ADSL Standards: Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
    ITU-T G.992.1(G.DMT)
    ITU-T G.992.2(G.Lite)
    ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs)

* ADSL2+ Standards: ITU-T G.992.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

The router AC1600 or Archer VR600 V2

seems to work alright with the vdsl2 in ireland, i'm not sure if it support super vectoring though, but does support (G.993.5) g.vectoring

It also has profiles of some Irish ISP as seen here

FLQNwbg.png

also if you want to setup ipv6 with it do the following below

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-or-BT-HH6/m-p/1745529/highlight/true#M140047

Advertisement