Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

VM 250mb over wifi

Check out my Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6140940645

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Screenshot-20200604-220621-Speedtest.jpg

Got an email from VF today, saying that my fibre bb has been increased from 300 to 500mb free of charge, due to the amount of people connecting at home in these times. Anyone know if this is a temporary arrangement, or if it is permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

blueser wrote: »
    Got an email from VF today, saying that my fibre bb has been increased from 300 to 500mb free of charge, due to the amount of people connecting at home in these times. Anyone know if this is a temporary arrangement, or if it is permanent?

It's likely to be permanent, as the 300 Mbit/s profile on OpenEIR is being outfased.

So Vodafone actually can't put you back in a few months.

Only those who don't get migrated get stuck on 300.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just wondering what sort of ping is expected on ADSL?

I'm currently on this with Vodafone, averaging 12/13Mb down 0.6 up.

When I run connection test through my Xbox One which is wired, ping consistently comes in at 60-80ms which seems very high?

I

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

joe123 wrote: »
    Just wondering what sort of ping is expected on ADSL?

I'm currently on this with Vodafone, averaging 12/13Mb down 0.6 up.

When I run connection test through my Xbox One which is wired, ping consistently comes in at 60-80ms which seems very high?

I

Ping to where? Just like a flight to Australia is more expensive than Liverpool your ping depends on the destination.

If the Xbox is testing off datacenters on the US Eastern seaboard then thats exactly whats expected.

Try pinging heanet.ie with a computer, thatll give you a local result. Once you leave the island all bets are really off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pings are never great with ADSL, a ping of 30 to an Irish server would be decent, 45 to UK and 60+ to continental western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

ED E wrote: »
    Ping to where? Just like a flight to Australia is more expensive than Liverpool your ping depends on the destination.

If the Xbox is testing off datacenters on the US Eastern seaboard then thats exactly whats expected.

Try pinging heanet.ie with a computer, thatll give you a local result. Once you leave the island all bets are really off.

Yeah not sure where Xbox have their server set to. It's the built in "test network connection" on the system itself and not something you can configure yourself.

Cheers, il have a look further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Didn't even think its possible on Three...
    520519.JPG520520.JPG
    520521.JPG520522.JPG
    520523.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I've recently moved to the Digiweb 1000 fibre plan. I can barely get about 220 on my Nvidia Shield and laptop with gigabit ethernet card. Both tests were done with speedtest and fast.com, using a cat6 cable directly connected.

Is this normal? Is there any way I can test the exact speed coming into the house? I've even got them to send me a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

chewed wrote: »
    I've recently moved to the Digiweb 1000 fibre plan. I can barely get about 220 on my Nvidia Shield and laptop with gigabit ethernet card. Both tests were done with speedtest and fast.com, using a cat6 cable directly connected.

Is this normal? Is there any way I can test the exact speed coming into the house? I've even got them to send me a new router.

Use a device to test that has proved capable of receiving at higher rates when connected elsewhere, just to be certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

My devices (all tested via wired connections) all seem to be maxing out at an extremely stable 67mbps / 19.5mbps. However my modem is showing 102mbps down the line.

Sir support have confirmed that I'm getting full speed sent to my modem and that it may be an internal issue. I was actually told the phone connected to the same socket was showing interference, but surely I wouldn't be getting such a stable (but slower) connection?

I've since unplugged the landline and changed the DNS to Cloudflare. No improvement.

It's so strange that it's hovering at such a stable speed. It's as if I'm capped but Eir have said there's no speed profiling on my line.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

1Gbps Eir FTTH

This would be through a switch and about 30 or so meters of Cat6 cable running through the attic.

9880675030.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

z0oT wrote: »
    1Gbps Eir FTTH

This would be through a switch and about 30 or so meters of Cat6 cable running through the attic.

9880675030.png

how often do you get speeds over 900?

Most of the time I get 600 to 750, only sometimes does it get above 800 and very rarely 900 to 910.

1Gbps Eir FTTH

9880675030.png

BTW, what are you using to run this test?

I now have a brand new modem, Cat6 cable from ONT, Cat6 to my Nvidia Shield Android box, Gigabit connection......and I can barely get above 100mbps!

Would this be an issue with my device? Digiweb are adamant that there's nothing wrong with the fiber connection running into my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I now have a brand new modem, Cat6 cable from ONT, Cat6 to my Nvidia Shield Android box, Gigabit connection......and I can barely get above 100mbps!

Would this be an issue with my device? Digiweb are adamant that there's nothing wrong with the fiber connection running into my house.

Do a speed test from PC/Laptop wired connection to Router digiweb provided instead of using Nvidia Shield Android box to test speed
    Make sure PC/laptop has Gigabit connection

That will give you more accurate speed test result

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

9895951237.png

I think it's more the speed test servers that will decide if you go over 900mbps. If I'm downloading something big from a good source it'll be bouncing off 116MB/s to disk

For that test above I've a work vpn on one device and a few other things going.. it'll mostly be about 900 on speedtest.net and always higher on fast.com

paulboland wrote: »
    Do a speed test from PC/Laptop wired connection to Router digiweb provided instead of using Nvidia Shield Android box to test speed
    Make sure PC/laptop has Gigabit connection

That will give you more accurate speed test result

The reason I was using the Shield is that this has a Gigabit connection and using the Speedtest app. I tried a laptop with a gigabit card before and was getting similar results - Around 150 down

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Gonzo wrote: »
    how often do you get speeds over 900?

Most of the time I get 600 to 750, only sometimes does it get above 800 and very rarely 900 to 910.
    Usually its 800-900, mostly high in the 800's. Sometimes it'll go above 900.

It's probably more down to the speed test servers more than anything else.

I've seen up to 100MB/s of a transfer rate when downloading from a source that's capable of gigabit speeds.

This would have been done on my desktop which has a gigabit connection to an Ethernet switch, then through 30m of cat6 cable running through the attic and then down into the router.

I've independently tested the connection between my desktop/server and the router, usually that can max out the gigabit connection with numbers like 950Mbps.

My router is a self built router (running IPFire) rather than an off the shelf one but that should not matter to get gigabit speeds.

Are you sure that the Shield has gigabit capability? It might just be 10/100.

This would have been done on my desktop which has a gigabit connection to an Ethernet switch, then through 30m of cat6 cable running through the attic and then down into the router.

I've independently tested the connection between my desktop/server and the router, usually that can max out the gigabit connection with numbers like 950Mbps.

My router is a self built router (running IPFire) rather than an off the shelf one but that should not matter to get gigabit speeds.

Are you sure that the Shield has gigabit capability? It might just be 10/100.

Well, according to the Shield Specs page, it's saying it's an Ethernet Gigabit connection - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/specs/

I was trying to check speeds with my work laptop using ethernet, but couldn't get above 90. Am I right in assuming my laptop can support a gigabit connection? Would I need to physically select "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" from the drop-down before running the test? It was defaulted to "Auto-Negotiation"

522785.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

I was trying to check speeds with my work laptop using ethernet, but couldn't get above 90. Am I right in assuming my laptop can support a gigabit connection? Would I need to physically select "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" from the drop-down before running the test? It was defaulted to "Auto-Negotiation"

522785.png

yes tick it and try again

BArra wrote: »
    yes tick it and try again

Tried to select the "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" option, but as soon as I clicked Apply, my ethernet connection disconnected. I had to change it back.

Maybe this means I don't have a gigabit card? I just assumed I did as it's in the list.

Tried to select the "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" option, but as soon as I clicked Apply, my ethernet connection disconnected. I had to change it back.

Maybe this means I don't have a gigabit card? I just assumed I did as it's in the list.
    Seams PC/laptop has ability, once its listed, but not able negotiate/achieve that due to next device its is connected to or Ethernet cable.

Thanks for sending. I tried the last option with Control Panel. I left my Ethernet connection speed at "Auto Negotiation". From the below screenshot, I assume my card can only go to 100mbps?

522870.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is there a newer driver available? It might unlock more features.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is there a newer driver available? It might unlock more features.

According to Device Manager, I already have the most up-to-date drivers for the Ethernet card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

According to Device Manager, I already have the most up-to-date drivers for the Ethernet card.

Try going to the laptop manufacturers site first and then try the actual card manufacturer as well, device manager is very limited it only checks ms updates for drivers.

Thanks for sending. I tried the last option with Control Panel. I left my Ethernet connection speed at "Auto Negotiation". From the below screenshot, I assume my card can only go to 100mbps?

522870.png
    Its NOT according spec sheet.
    100Mbps you read is link speed - devices negotiate what speed they can go for providing both support it and can maintain, other way fall back to next below
    For Gig to work, all 8 wires in use, if one pin makes no contact it'll work, but go down to 100

Double check cable, dirt/dust in port/contacts on both ends. If connected to router directly, reboot router(make/model?) or see config on it

• Advertisement

Its NOT according spec sheet.
    100Mbps you read is link speed - devices negotiate what speed they can go for providing both support it and can maintain, other way fall back to next below
    For Gig to work, all 8 wires in use, if one pin makes no contact it'll work, but go down to 100

Double check cable, dirt/dust in port/contacts on both ends. If connected to router directly, reboot router(make/model?) or see config on it

OK thanks. I'll check this out, but the router is brand new and the Cat6 cables are also new. I wonder is it the port on my laptop? I do find when I put an ehternet cable into it, I have to use a pen to get it out as it gets stuck.

Advertisement