Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-02-2015, 20:19   #1
tattycat

Small Talk.... a chit-chat thread for smallholders.

So. How are folks doing with their holdings..survived winter? We've had our first chicks of the year from our Buff Orpingtons...bring on the mayhem!!

Thanks to tattycat for the inspiration, the mods think that this is a perfect post to start off a Smallholding chit-chat thread..

.....so... bring on the mayhem!

Last edited by greysides; 04-02-2015 at 13:22.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2015, 11:29   #2
greysides

Buff Orpingtons.

Nice looking chickens.
(4) thanks from:
12-02-2015, 10:05   #3
Boardnashea

The hen run will finally be going into construction this weekend. Steel posts are all galvanised so digging holes and mixing cement on Saturday. Next decision is galvanised chain link or plastic coated???
12-02-2015, 20:17   #4
aonb

Boardnashea: as long as the fencing is set well in to the ground, or attached to the cement base or something... The other think I would highly recommend, its the best thing Ive done, is to put a net (I used a pond net) over the top of your run to keep the wild birds out - off your hen food and keep infection to a minimum...

Greysides: How do you find the Buff Orpingtons as layers? Any issues with them? Ive been avoiding pure breeds as Ive had bad luck with any Ive had, and have been sticking to hybrids...
12-02-2015, 20:53   #5
greysides

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonb View Post

Greysides: How do you find the Buff Orpingtons as layers? Any issues with them?
Can't answer that. Sorry. I looked them up to see what they looked like.........
Advertisement
13-02-2015, 11:17   #6
whelan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysides View Post
Can't answer that. Sorry. I looked them up to see what they looked like.........
we used to have them, they are alot older starting laying and dont lay as much as other breeds. They are lovely looking hens though
13-02-2015, 12:00   #7
Charliebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelan2 View Post
we used to have them, they are alot older starting laying and dont lay as much as other breeds. They are lovely looking hens though
so what you are saying is "they are high maintenance but a good looking bird"
16-02-2015, 16:34   #8
Boardnashea

Thanks aonb. They have about 250M2 of a run with a few well established trees so there won't be anything going over the top. We never had much of a problem with wild birds.
I intend to plant a couple of rows of close planted ash in there as well to harvest over a 6 year rotation. I have done the willows but not quite as satisfying.
The fencing will be going about 15cm or so underground.
16-02-2015, 21:54   #9
OUTDOORLASS

Blasted fox took one of my Khaki campbell.s...I had her for 4 years, and as luck had it, she was the only one laying at the moment. Plenty of rabbits around, why did.nt he take one of them.....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2015, 22:49   #10
aonb

once the fox knows you've got fowl, it will probably come back... so extra precautions required
Thanks from:
07-05-2015, 19:45   #11
tattycat

Well as I said mayhem begins! ! We've Buff Orpington chicks, White Silkie chicks.7 Pigglets, 5 kid goats, 1 to kid, due y'day. Moscovy's ducks sitting on eggs, along with geese and various chickens (including a turkey hen that hasn't laid herself yet!!)
Nd copious amounts of seeds, sown, potatoes planted nd abundant slugs!!
By the way my Orps are always the first to lay (a good size egg) and are good mom's and are good eating!!
Thanks from:
07-05-2015, 22:54   #12
theemigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattycat View Post
Well as I said mayhem begins! ! We've Buff Orpington chicks, White Silkie chicks.7 Pigglets, 5 kid goats, 1 to kid, due y'day. Moscovy's ducks sitting on eggs, along with geese and various chickens (including a turkey hen that hasn't laid herself yet!!)
Nd copious amounts of seeds, sown, potatoes planted nd abundant slugs!!
By the way my Orps are always the first to lay (a good size egg) and are good mom's and are good eating!!
Your flat out... I only have a pet lamb
26-02-2018, 10:22   #13
OUTDOORLASS

Morning all, with all the prep being discussed about preperations for the arrival of the Beast, what should we do for our hens/ducks...
Is there any special precautions we should do......
Thanks, ODL.
26-02-2018, 10:31   #14
aonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTDOORLASS View Post
Morning all, with all the prep being discussed about preperations for the arrival of the Beast, what should we do for our hens/ducks...
Is there any special precautions we should duvets o......
Thanks, ODL.
Last big snow, I just made sure that the water was never frozen. Hens feathers are like duvets! I put many layers of newspaper on the floors of their coops to act as insulation. I threw an old carpet over the roof too. Gave them hot mash, hot water in their pellets. Cleared a bit of a path from the coop doors, they were pretty freaked by the snow. I also increased their fat/carb intake for a few days. Spoiled brats. Keep an eye for combs and wattles, if very cold you could put some vaseline on, to protect from severe cold /frost.
(2) thanks from:
21-04-2018, 21:29   #15
Rows Grower

Great weather lads!

The rested field is getting green at last.

The ducks are all laying. A recently acquired goose is sitting on 5 eggs as far away from her warm shed as possible, the gander is very protective.

The chickens are banging them out, last years lambs are as fit as a fiddle and looking ready to go soon, the ponies coat is starting to gleam, the dogs are stretching out and soaking up the sunshine and the fruit and veg are starting to yawn.

I love this time of year.

Be nice to have a dry spell for a while.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion