Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2019, 22:49   #1
have2flushtwice

Garden to be levelled

Hi
I have a small garden which is overgrown.
It's about 600m SQ.
I dropped in turfmould earlier in the year when I cleaned out the turf shed. There was vegetables in it in time, as well as rhubarb strawberries etc at the edges. Was thinking of getting two pigs in for a while then send them to the freezer.
Would two strands of electric fence keep them contained? I've no experience of pigs btw!

Last edited by have2flushtwice; 30-09-2019 at 22:53.
Advertisement
01-10-2019, 11:33   #2
Base price

Two stands of electric fence will keep them in but try and buy ones that have been trained to a fence. The area will maintain them but you will need to supplement their diet with meal/veg. They will also need a bedded shed or shelter to lie in and fresh water to drink.
By law you need to register your premises with DAFM and get a pig herd number. This is particularly important due to ASF. Here is a link to the Dept website with info on how to apply.

Pigs are really enjoyable creatures to keep but beware that you don't get attached to them.
https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/anima...tracingsystem/
01-10-2019, 13:39   #3
Stationmaster

We've just got 3 pigs - a 15 month old sow and 2 young females around 3 months each. I've 2 strands of electric wire up - about 6 inches and 12 inches f the ground. It's working the finest. The pigs came from a breeder though that were already trained to the wire. They're great though - they won't be long ploughing all that up for you.

Just remember though as Base Price said - you need a pig herd number first - it's separate to a 'normal' herd number. You need to have a fresh water supply (trough with ballcock), and a house to put them in when/if needed to get the number.
01-10-2019, 19:10   #4
Base price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stationmaster View Post
We've just got 3 pigs - a 15 month old sow and 2 young females around 3 months each. I've 2 strands of electric wire up - about 6 inches and 12 inches f the ground. It's working the finest. The pigs came from a breeder though that were already trained to the wire. They're great though - they won't be long ploughing all that up for you.

Just remember though as Base Price said - you need a pig herd number first - it's separate to a 'normal' herd number. You need to have a fresh water supply (trough with ballcock), and a house to put them in when/if needed to get the number.
What breed are your pigs. Are you going to keep the sow for breeding.
01-10-2019, 21:59   #5
Stationmaster

The sow is a pure bred black and the other two are duroc/black crosses. Yea, I hope to breed the sow.
Advertisement
01-10-2019, 23:05   #6
Base price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stationmaster View Post
The sow is a pure bred black and the other two are duroc/black crosses. Yea, I hope to breed the sow.
Best of luck with her. Throw up a pic of her if you don't mind posting one.
I used to breed PB Irish Grazers/Tamworth's and cross bred GOS and Saddlebacks.
02-10-2019, 21:52   #7
have2flushtwice

I don't know if it's worth my while getting a herd no foe that space.... Might try get a lend if a donkey or teaser.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion