Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggestions please

Options
  • 24-08-2019 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

got 9 acres of grass here, was not cut this year, not sure as with so much silage and hay made this year, is there any profit in making silage?is there just too much of it?

so wondering what to do with it to make a few bob, probably too long now for sheep? i have no livestock but thinking about it ( what be best choice) but dont want to end up out of pocket

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Get somebody to graze it or sell it for silage for whatever you can get pronto. See what the going rate is around your area. Usually around 5/6 euro a bale, this year maybe 4/5. Depending on quality/quantity etc.
    9acres*5bales*4euros= 180euros. Which is f**k all.
    So probably get more grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just saw it wasn't cut this year! Don't know what kind of condition it's in now. You might just get it cleaned up for 0 per bale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had similar last year with 4 acres and let a farmer put some calves on it for the price of a few loads of slurry this year.
    Got my grass eaten down and field cleaned up for winter.

Got silage this year etc...see the other thread.

Advertisement