Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

awec wrote: »
    Really?

Just think he’s to mobile and skilful to be doing the hard yards at 8!

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

launish116 wrote: »
    Just think he’s to mobile and skilful to be doing the hard yards at 8!

I'd say he'll play 8 for us. He'll play 6 a lot too I'm sure as we aren't going to get 80 minutes from Nakarawa every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

6. Nakarawa
    7. Reidy
    8. McCann

bilston wrote: »
    McCann could play 6/7 for a year with a few games at 8 when Nakarawa plays second row. It's a one year deal as well...McCann is only 20, so I'm not worried about him not getting game time because of this.

Agree with this, big ask for a 21 year old to hold down 8 especially in a team as reliant as Ulster for ball carrying.

Just think he’d be better suited to blindside and given room to roam. Rather than a traditional ball carrying no8.

Ideally Allison would get his act together and push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What a fantastic signing by Ulster !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

McCann is not a 8!

???

He is an 8, but he can play anywhere in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nucifora must be on holiday

So is that business done? Only departures left?

No raid of Leinster stalks by the looks of it.

So is that business done? Only departures left?

No raid of Leinster stalks by the looks of it.

Possibly.

Do we need a 10 if Johnston moves on? Or do we go with Burns, Madigan and Lowry as a 3rd choice 10? Doak can play 10 as well I believe.

We also need to see what happens with Carter. I expect we will try and keep him, but if he were to move on then he would need replaced.

Possibly.

Do we need a 10 if Johnston moves on? Or do we go with Burns, Madigan and Lowry as a 3rd choice 10? Doak can play 10 as well I believe.

We also need to see what happens with Carter. I expect we will try and keep him, but if he were to move on then he would need replaced.

Word seems to be Carter is staying, no reinforcements from Leinster.

Really only waiting for Henderson and word on departures?

Curtis could cover 10 also I guess

• Advertisement

Possibly.

Is Johnston's contract actually up?

As someone else pointed out in T'Other Forum, Dan would have coached Leone during his first Glasgow stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

To be a miserable sod (it comes so naturally) and sound a cautionary note on Nakarawa, I'd be very surprised if he's close to the player that won European POTY three years ago. He made a sub appearance last week; his first time setting foot on a pitch in 11 months. He had a troublesome knee injury during that time and the Glasgow staff have also admitted that his fitness was frustratingly lacking when he came back from Fiji in September/October and that delayed his return further.

He's about to turn 33. I think a 1 year deal is the right move for him and, as Paul says, McFarland knows him and will hopefully get the best out of him. But I would not be shocked if he turns out to be solid rather than spectacular. He certainly isn't going to be a like for like replacement with Coetzee who was a workhorse at 8.

It will be interesting to see what the first choice 4-8 looks like...Henderson, Carter, Nakarawa and two from Reidy, McCann and Murphy?

Buer wrote: »
    To be a miserable sod (it comes so naturally) and sound a cautionary note on Nakarawa, I'd be very surprised if he's close to the player that won European POTY three years ago. He made a sub appearance last week; his first time setting foot on a pitch in 11 months. He had a troublesome knee injury during that time and the Glasgow staff have also admitted that his fitness was frustratingly lacking when he came back from Fiji in September/October and that delayed his return further.

He's about to turn 33. I think a 1 year deal is the right move for him and, as Paul says, McFarland knows him and will hopefully get the best out of him. But I would not be shocked if he turns out to be solid rather than spectacular. He certainly isn't going to be a like for like replacement with Coetzee who was a workhorse at 8.

It will be interesting to see what the first choice 4-8 looks like...Henderson, Carter, Nakarawa and two from Reidy, McCann and Murphy?

No, we're certainly not getting him at his peak. We will have to temper our expectations slightly.

But if he plays for us five times, that's more than Coetzee was able to line out in his first season.

Get out of here Buer!

Nah...I can see your point, and a mate whatsapped me the same point yesterday.

His age isn't a consideration for me...33 isn't that old given it is a one year deal...it would be more the lack of game time at Racing that I'd be a bit worried about. All the same I'd wager he is an upgrade for us and I'm sure he is capable of big performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd agree with Buer. A lot of the reaction online seems to ignore that Nakarawa's exceptional performances that built his profile came a few years ago.

Much like Madigan's initial contract, a one year deal is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On the plus side, I'm sure Ulster are compensating Nakarawa accordingly and the difference between a year of him versus the last year of Coetzee has facilitated some of those extensions we saw yesterday.

It could be an incredibly shrewd piece of business in that regard.

On the plus side, I'm sure Ulster are compensating Nakarawa accordingly and the difference between a year of him versus the last year of Coetzee has facilitated some of those extensions we saw yesterday.

It could be an incredibly shrewd piece of business in that regard.

Agree with that. We're better with him than not.

And I'd say Coetzee's final year salary + sweetener money from Bulls to buy him out >>>>> Nakarawa's one year contract.

Think there's some canny manoeuvring in Ulster HQ.

One year gives McCann time to develop, and hopefully allows the pandemic to settle down, get fans back, and maybe put us in a better financial position to look for someone younger from 2022-2025 or so. Or better still develop some more of our own. Sheridan looked more than decent in the A game, and Reuben Crothers has a good reputation in the Academy, not sure about Allison anymore. Also Reidy and Murphy have a few more years left in the tank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

One year gives McCann time to develop, and hopefully allows the pandemic to settle down, get fans back, and maybe put us in a better financial position to look for someone younger from 2022-2025 or so. Or better still develop some more of our own. Sheridan looked more than decent in the A game, and Reuben Crothers has a good reputation in the Academy, not sure about Allison anymore. Also Reidy and Murphy have a few more years left in the tank as well.

surely one of the leinster backrows will be ready to leave this time next year too.

Maybe 3rd time lucky approaching Conan.

• Advertisement

bayern wrote: »
    surely one of the leinster backrows will be ready to leave this time next year too.

Would hope by end of next season McCann, Rea Jnr & Jones would be regular first team players. It’s really now or never you’d think for Leinster players. Commit now and take the chance while it’s there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would hope by end of next season McCann, Rea Jnr & Jones would be regular first team players. It’s really now or never you’d think for Leinster players. Commit now and take the chance while it’s there.

No Leinster players are leaving, or at least none are moving to us.

awec wrote: »
    No Leinster players are leaving, or at least none are moving to us.

So I hear, just think it’s a now or never approach needed! The opportunity is there for the taking now not the following season.

Then again wouldn’t be first time a last minute move has happened on Leinster.

bayern wrote: »

Signing 2nd or 3rd choice Leinster back rows is not a sustainable approach for the future. How can we be better than Leinster if we rely on their leftovers?

We need to develop our own and bring in two or three NIQs in the right position...the odd player from other provinces where there is an obvious need is fine. But having a squad of 8 or 9 ex Leinster players is not going to win us anything IMO. Although it might get us to semi finals and finals.

Gilroy one year.

Presumably Faddes must be gone, then.

This place seems pretty calm given the Stander to Bordeaux rumours.

Full contract for Marcus Rea. only one year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Full contract for Marcus Rea. only one year though?

given how little senior time he has gotten, it's hardly surprising..

surely McCann will be getting promoted?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised to see McCann get a full two year contract.

Advertisement