Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugging up the mountains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tunney wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/warning-over-muggings-of-cyclists-for-carbon-fibre-bikes-in-wicklow/

Any truth to this?

(Nutshell : cyclist on tod up the mountains, scummers tried to rob him (allegedly)

Seems a bit odd given the Laragh - Sally Gap is a 20k stretch with no turn offs, not a great spot to steal bikes. My first reaction, cynic that I am, is a smart arsed motorist doing this to discourage cyclists. Certainly won't stop me from cycling this road solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

smacl wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd given the Laragh - Sally Gap is a 20k stretch with no turn offs, not a great spot to steal bikes. My first reaction, cynic that I am, is a smart arsed motorist doing this to discourage cyclists. Certainly won't stop me from cycling this road solo.

Why would you need turnoffs?
    You stick the bike in the back of the van and drive off...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have often wondered why people who are riding around on expensive bikes are not pulled off them and bike nicked more often. I wouldnt be surprised if this was true.

I would think sally gap would be a great place to steal bikes (and phones) - how is a stranded cyclist going to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Couple of people in my club have confirmed. Up around the Featherbeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

GreeBo wrote: »

Cyclist calls the guards, says lads in van took his bike and are heading north or south, and gives a description. But unlikely you'd get a squad car out quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

In the photo used in the article - is that a bullet hole in the sign that says Sally Gap??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Melodeon

In the photo used in the article - is that a bullet hole in the sign that says Sally Gap??!!

Looks like a close-range shotgun blast.

GreeBo wrote: »

Cyclist flags down another car or bike and raises the alarm and Gardaí have a fair chance of nabbing them as they've nowhere to go. You see patrol cars around the Military road often enough over the summer. At the weekend you've also got a large number of cyclists on that stretch so it would need to be a very quick mugging not to get witnessed.

Cyclist calls the guards, says lads in van took his bike and are heading north or south, and gives a description. But unlikely you'd get a squad car out quick enough.

Calls the guards on what? they were taking phones and bikes.

In any case, a squad car isnt getting near them in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

How's he gonna call the guards with no phone no bike and after taking a few slaps?

• Advertisement

Cyclist flags down another car or bike and raises the alarm and Gardaí have a fair chance of nabbing them as they've nowhere to go. You see patrol cars around the Military road often enough over the summer. At the weekend you've also got a large number of cyclists on that stretch so it would need to be a very quick mugging not to get witnessed.

Bail out towards Enniskerry or back to Laragh or before...a van will be gone before a squad car gets there, unless one happens to also be up there.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Couple of people in my club have confirmed. Up around the Featherbeds.

Interesting. Article says Laragh so maybe more than one incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Interesting. Article says Laragh so maybe more than one incident?

Think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

We also have to assume we're not exactly dealing with finalists from mastermind here

daragh_ wrote: »
      Think so.

Be very interested to hear more. Headline says "Warning over muggings of cyclists for carbon fibre bikes in Wicklow" yet article describes one failed mugging attempt. Either the plurals here are crap reporting or there are more incidents. Bit weak of a cycling advocacy group telling people not to cycle by themselves on the basis of a pattern of muggings if there has only been one failed mugging.

We also have to assume we're not exactly dealing with finalists from mastermind here

There is that to be sure. Given the failed mugging was interrupted by the person being attacked flagging down a car, do you reckon they might have the gumption to suss it is not the brightest of plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's quite believable, there are people who take a drive up those roads to see what opportunities might arise. Somewhere to tip a few bags of rubbish. A car park with a few cars and no one around, occupants gone off walking. A lone cyclist - why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lennymc wrote: »
      I have often wondered why people who are riding around on expensive bikes are not pulled off them and bike nicked more often...t.
      I'd say 99% of bike thieves will prefer to take an unoccupied bike.
      BarryD2 wrote: »
      It's quite believable, there are people who take a drive up those roads to see what opportunities might arise. Somewhere to tip a few bags of rubbish. A car park with a few cars and no one around, occupants gone off walking. A lone cyclist - why not?
      There's a huge difference between fly tipping or breaking into unattended vehicles compared to dealing with actual people. As stated above most criminals don't want the hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

Either the plurals here are crap reporting or there are more incidents.

I'd say it's just a bad headline. "Warning after attempted mugging of cyclist" would be more accurate.

I'd say it's just a bad headline. "Warning after attempted mugging of cyclist" would be more accurate.

Yep. Sub-headline is "A warning about muggings of cyclists for their bikes in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains has been shared after one cyclist said he was attacked." Doesn't exactly have the same scare factor and won't stop me cycling solo over the Military road.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Presumably the alleged victim and the driver of the car managed to take a note of the van registration number?

It certainly can be very quiet up there midweek which is one of the reasons I find it so attractive. Anyway, my bike isn't carbon so I should be okay:)

It certainly can be very quiet up there midweek which is one of the reasons I find it so attractive. Anyway, my bike isn't carbon so I should be okay:)

Same on both counts, phone is no great shakes either. At a guess, the risk due to a fall or even hitting a deer or sheep early morning is quite a bit higher than being mugged, both of which are less than an altercation with a car on a busier road.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Break-ins to hillwalkers parked cars has been a national problem for some time around mountainous areas. At this stage hill walkers are wise to it and have developed ways to manage it. This looks like a more brazen development.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

This is a bit alarmist I think. How many tens of thousands of trips are made by cyclists along that road? And one single incident of attempted mugging. Certainly won't stop me cycling up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I believed it to the point where phone was mentioned. If it got the stage of taking his phone, how on earth he managed to get away from 3 scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

I assume. From a legal point. Robbing someone of their bike when on it is a more serious offence than stealing an unoccupied bike? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Happened last summer too, a guard in our club warned us about it, van was parked up on climb to Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride, two lads knocked guy off bike and stole it, pretty sure they took his phone too, the lad had to wait ages for a car to come along. He was threatened with a wheel brace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A car was boxed in and its occupants mugged too on the Sally gap last year too. It's very rare, but still

I assume. From a legal point. Robbing someone of their bike when on it is a more serious offence than stealing an unoccupied bike? Anyone know?

Considerably worse. Aggravated assault in addition to theft AFAIK

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Revenge is sweet...
      Just mugged the sole occupant of a white transit van up Sally gap and left him my bike.
      Campervan enthusiasts watch out.... :D

Advertisement