Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-04-2019, 00:03   #61
bernard0368

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
that's bleedin' fantastic.
Thanks
Advertisement
26-04-2019, 11:13   #62
fixxxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperhead View Post
1-12-18-3 by thomas walsh, on Flickr
Love this. Was only thinking today that I really miss doing sea side long exposures. Must try and get out and take a few. Plenty of coastline in Dun Laoghaire after all.
Thanks from:
26-04-2019, 13:03   #63
GBX

As do I.

(noob question - if somebody can advise)

General question about filters. I know there is many different filters available. I'd like to start doing something like the above or milky river/waterfall type pics. I got a cheap set online with different ND value filters. I know these are probably crap - but before I spend bigger, I'd like to chance it and try my hand first.
When using a filter should the filter glass be in direct contact with the lense housing? I see even Cokin sets have a holder and its very similar to the one I have but the filter sits away from the lens.

26-04-2019, 13:24   #64
fixxxer

Don't use the bracket filters myself, so cant comment.

Give this guy a read if you've never done long exposures before.

Not all will apply but I found it really helpful.
Thanks from:
26-04-2019, 13:38   #65
GBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Don't use the bracket filters myself, so cant comment.

Give this guy a read if you've never done long exposures before.

Not all will apply but I found it really helpful.
Great write up. Thanks Fixxxer!
Advertisement
26-04-2019, 18:27   #66
copperhead

[QUOTE=GBX;110026805]As do I.

General question about filters. I know there is many different filters available. I'd like to start doing something like the above or milky river/waterfall type pics. I got a cheap set online with different ND value filters. I know these are probably crap - but before I spend bigger, I'd like to chance it and try my hand first.
When using a filter should the filter glass be in direct contact with the lense housing? I see even Cokin sets have a holder and its very similar to the one I have but the filter sits away from the lens.

hi gbx as a general rule the filters should be as close to the lens as possible without touching the lens, with grad nd filters this isnt a huge issue but if your using neutral density filters EG 10 stop/ 6stop filters any leaks of light can destroy an image. ( also rember to cover eyepiece for long exposure )
as for quality in filters it vary's vastly as does price, all most all filters will have some sort of color cast some more pronounced than others, theres two main types plastic / resin and glass but beware neither is very robust and will not take any mishandling as the coating will scratch easily,
it all come down to personal choice and budget as most of what filters can achieve can be replicated in post processing with bracketing etc .
also some filter systems can be interchanged eg cokin lee and nisi filters will fit in each others holders
(2) thanks from:
26-04-2019, 19:17   #67
GBX

[quote="copperhead;110029869"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
As do I.

hi gbx as a general rule the filters should be as close to the lens as possible without touching the lens, with grad nd filters this isnt a huge issue but if your using neutral density filters EG 10 stop/ 6stop filters any leaks of light can destroy an image. ( also rember to cover eyepiece for long exposure )
as for quality in filters it vary's vastly as does price, all most all filters will have some sort of color cast some more pronounced than others, theres two main types plastic / resin and glass but beware neither is very robust and will not take any mishandling as the coating will scratch easily,
it all come down to personal choice and budget as most of what filters can achieve can be replicated in post processing with bracketing etc .
also some filter systems can be interchanged eg cokin lee and nisi filters will fit in each others holders
Thanks for your reply. I'll take all this on board.
17-05-2019, 07:17   #68
Myksyk

Similar to a Coal Tit but that’s a Great Tit NEW WAVE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C3ECADF4-7CD5-40DA-B7B9-860AD007390E.jpeg (580.4 KB, 29 views)
Thanks from:
17-05-2019, 08:20   #69
NEW WAVE

Your right the Coal Tit has buff underparts where the Great Tit has bright yellow my mistake. Have updated.
Thanks Myksyk
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 10:13   #70
fixxxer

*schoolboy giggles at the back*
(2) thanks from:
31-05-2019, 11:27   #71
fixxxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave147 View Post
Would love to see a black and white version of this.
Thanks from:
10-06-2019, 22:40   #72
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalRain View Post
malin head?
11-06-2019, 10:21   #73
MysticalRain

Quote:
malin head?
Can't remember the exact location. But it was somewhere on Malin head.
11-06-2019, 10:30   #74
magicbastarder

yeah, i thought i recognised the little island; this is it from beside the weather station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3711...7i13312!8i6656
11-06-2019, 13:08   #75
MysticalRain

Quote:
yeah, i thought i recognised the little island; this is it from beside the weather station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.3711...7i13312!8i6656
Yep, that's the spot alright.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion