Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, North of 32 lives in germany?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Can still do the CI course online if she wants to I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

530043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

While looking at the 5kmfromhome map I got excited by what looked like tracks I hadn't ridden before locally. Alas on further looking I realised they were townsland boundaries. 6 weeks of getting on familiar terms with Coolnabeasoon, Renadampaun, Boolavoteen, Clashavougha etc,

Answers on a postcard on how they are pronounced locally

While looking at the 5kmfromhome map I got excited by what looked like tracks I hadn't ridden before locally. Alas on further looking I realised they were townsland boundaries. 6 weeks of getting on familiar terms with Coolnabeasoon, Renadampaun, Boolavoteen, Clashavougha etc,

Had to google Coolnabeasoon, Clashavougha etc. to see where they are. Dropped the little man on the map for street view and that looks to a fine part of the country to be rambling around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best to go to the source!

https://www.logainm.ie/en/49200

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stupid question alert!!

Do the guys in the big teams all ride the same model bike?

That is if for example if you ride for Sky it's a Merida bike or Ineos ride Specialized.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mfceiling wrote: »

Brand yes - in 99% of cases, model no.

Parts like saddles, chainrings, derailleur pulleys etc can be a mix of default and sponsor provided.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stupid question alert!!

That is if for example if you ride for Sky it's a Merida bike or Ineos ride Specialized.

They can ride different models of the same brand. So riders can chose between an aero bike or a light climbing bike for example.

• Advertisement

TFW you spend 20 minutes looking for part of an old headset and then remember you left it sitting under an egg.

'you shouldn't have panniers because GDPR' is a new one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyh83/status/1319281425707773954

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know when Giant tend to release their 2021 bikes? Ive been checking on the Defy Advanced 1 & 2 for the last few weeks and no sign:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/defy-advanced-1-2021

I've something in the back of my mind that I read somewhere that it's Shimano etc. causing the delay here on the higher end of things. I know Trek (made in the same factory I think) have their sub 1000 euro bikes in production and shipping but not the 105 + models. I'll have to find a source for that sorry as I might be mis-remembering what I read.

In my own experience I wanted a new bike for my 40th and Orbea told me May next year for 2021 models. Was looking at Cube as an alternative but there was no stock when I gave up my search in July. I'm likley going to carry the money over and wait for a 2022 bike at this point or a very good deal on a 2021 bike next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Okay thanks, my company which is usually great for everything else perks-wise only do bike2work in a 2 week window in January and August for some reason so its not affecting me too much for now, also my current Defy is from 2015 but is still borderline perfect apart from some cosmetic stuff so I can afford to wait for something good to come along.

I really have my eye on another Defy judging by the 2020 reviews on Reddit though, the Defy Advanced 1 2021 listing mentions Gloss Moss Green/Matte Moss Green/Matte Black as the alternative colour scheme but no pics yet but if thats as good looking as previous green colour schemes they've done Ill be pulling the trigger in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Given the current supply constraints that all bike shops are working under, I'd be inclined to talk to them directly and ask when the bikes are realistically likely to come in. It might well be outside the 2 week window your company seems to be imposing. I have seen dates way out into 2021 for several models.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    .. might well be outside the 2 week window your company seems to be imposing....
    If you're well known to your LBS, could they do the paperwork and 'sell' the bike during the 2 week window and then supply it when they eventually come in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume the two week window is to order, not for the bike to be supplied as that would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

seamus wrote: »
    Any attempt to trademark "burger" would probably fail, since "burger" is the shape moreso than the content. Hence why we have "ham burger", "sausage burger", "mushroom burger", etc.

"Sausage" might get through though since that's generally considered a type of meat. Hence why you have "hot dogs".

Called it (sausage is still ok too):
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1023/1173526-meps-back-veggie-burgers-but-ban-dairy-free-yoghurt/

They upheld the proscription on using dairy names though.

two things wrong with this; the layout would imply the price doubles when you buy it on the bike to work scheme.

and secondly, the bike shop is advertising tax fraud in its window display.

530341.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^
    Does that shop sell lawnmowers by any chance?
    Asking for a friend!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycle super store sell them too.

Full charge gets you about 30km and it takes 6 hours to charge. I'm not seeing how these are exactly green as you'd be charging this every other day .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »

Full charge gets you about 30km and it takes 6 hours to charge. I'm not seeing how these are exactly green as you'd be charging this every other day .

green in that its not even 1hp, so compared to a combustion engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

two things wrong with this; the layout would imply the price doubles when you buy it on the bike to work scheme.
    A 3rd thing wrong- it also implies it legal to commute to work on this. The name "urban" makes it even worse.

even if you did have the brazen balls to dare define it as a pedelec it is 350W, so over the 250W limit in the finance act. (as other ebikes probably are but they are not stupid enough to say it)

It explicitly rules out scooters, absolutely no grey area that these conmen usually try and argue. Its sick to see ignorant people being duped into buying these. You see people who were conned then encouraging/conning others to get them, so as to "normalise" them and hope they are not caught.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/section/7/enacted/en/html
    ‘ pedal cycle ’ means—

(i) a bicycle or tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon, or

(ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

https://urban-electrics.com/int/THE-URBAN-BRLN-V2/TU91001
    Weepsie wrote: »

doesn't matter if it took 15mins or 48hours to charge, its the energy usage that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did anyone else know that Eurosport have their own range of energy gels and bars? Saw a photo on CN of a female pro reconning Paris Roubaix and pulling out a gel with Eurosport emblazoned across it. Googled it and found this...

https://outdoor-fanatics.com/onze-producten/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

and secondly, the bike shop is advertising tax fraud in its window display.

530341.jpg

I'd read it the other way round - if you pay for it directly, it €1k. If you use B2W, the nett cost to you is €510, assuming you are a top rate tax payer . ( You should only be paying €490 but they probably have an "admin charge")

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The woods I walk my dog in most days was the same this morning.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

went through on my commute home this afternoon...as above ..nuts...
    i was thinking of doing a lap ...couldn't be bothered with the traffic :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd read it the other way round - if you pay for it directly, it €1k. If you use B2W, the nett cost to you is €510, assuming you are a top rate tax payer . ( You should only be paying €490 but they probably have an "admin charge")

I imagine they just messed up and meant to subtract 510 rather than an admin fee since they can't charge more than the price and they don't control the saving.

Advertisement