Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-04-2016, 20:05   #46
Tigerandahalf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,047
It is one of the things I really find a pain when travelling and if you don't do your research you will get stung.

I really think the EU need to crack down on companies and introduce some law to force them to be upfront with their charges and what they can/ can't charge for.

Tripadvisor is always well worth checking for rental car recommendations in the area you are travelling to. There may be smaller local companies that will offer better value and service.
Tigerandahalf is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-04-2016, 09:04   #47
dohouch
Registered User
 
dohouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,275
€4 supplement for I diesel I didn't want

Last week got charged a supplement in Spain of €4 a day for I diesel I didn't want. ( Guess the company! ). It's actually ironic as normally I want a diesel in Spain and can't always get one, as I normally go for the burn ( 2,500km in 10 days avg ). But this time I it was only for 3 days and knew my mileage (or kilometrage or kiloage ) would be low, was 960 km. Petrol cars tend to quieter and smoother, have had some high performance diesels, but they're generally a bit rough IMHO, no offence intended to diesel aficionados.
dohouch is offline  
26-04-2016, 20:49   #48
BailMeOut
Registered User
 
BailMeOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,300
I always use Nova Car Hire and been using them for 10-15 years in Ireland, USA, and many European countries. You get really good rates and the cars are always with one of the big car hire companies. So 20+ rentals from them and zero issues.
BailMeOut is offline  
08-05-2016, 12:25   #49
Brudy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Malaga car rental

For some time I have used a broker called doyouspain to hire cars at Malaga airport. In the last year I see huge changes and the car hire companies are quoting low rental charges in the hope of selling expensive addons when you go to them. More troubling is the attempt some of them make to charge you on return of car for alleged damage caused by you. I have had this fraudulent experience 3 times in last year. On each occasion they attempt to charge for damages they maintain was caused during the rental despite the fact that the damage was there when the rental commenced. I always photograph the car at commencement of rental as proof of existing damage but this does not always protect you. Be aware and be careful or you will be taken advantage of. Rental companies to be on the look out for are Record Go and Del Paso. Remember if the price of rental looks too good to be true then it surely is .
Brudy is offline  
Thanks from:
08-05-2016, 12:35   #50
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudy View Post
For some time I have used a broker called doyouspain to hire cars at Malaga airport. In the last year I see huge changes and the car hire companies are quoting low rental charges in the hope of selling expensive addons when you go to them. More troubling is the attempt some of them make to charge you on return of car for alleged damage caused by you. I have had this fraudulent experience 3 times in last year. On each occasion they attempt to charge for damages they maintain was caused during the rental despite the fact that the damage was there when the rental commenced. I always photograph the car at commencement of rental as proof of existing damage but this does not always protect you. Be aware and be careful or you will be taken advantage of. Rental companies to be on the look out for are Record Go and Del Paso. Remember if the price of rental looks too good to be true then it surely is .
If there's damage on the car get it noted by the company before leaving the compound, no point in taking pictures if you don't inform the company when taking them.

It is a good idea to take pictures when leaving if there isn't an inspection done by a company employee.
Del2005 is offline  
Advertisement
09-05-2016, 09:21   #51
bubblypop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,273
Hi, I'm planning on hiring a car in Italy in a few weeks.
I have never done this before, so could anyone explain the insurance to me?
I pay extra for insurance with the hire company, is that correct? On top of the price of hiring the car?
What are these extras they try to make you buy?
Is the cover fully comp?
Sorry, it's my first time & I don't want to look clueless!
bubblypop is offline  
09-05-2016, 09:36   #52
BailMeOut
Registered User
 
BailMeOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblypop View Post
Hi, I'm planning on hiring a car in Italy in a few weeks.
I have never done this before, so could anyone explain the insurance to me?
I pay extra for insurance with the hire company, is that correct? On top of the price of hiring the car?
What are these extras they try to make you buy?
Is the cover fully comp?
Sorry, it's my first time & I don't want to look clueless!
when you rent a car all insurance required will be included. The extras that people talk about is usually 'excess' insurance which means you basically insure your deducible should you damage the car. This can be quite high and anywhere from €500 to €2000+ depending on who you rent from.

So without excess the car hire company will put a hold on your credit card for this amount and if you damage your car will take up to this amount for repairs. It annoys everyone as excess insurance is usually quite expensive and a bit of a gamble if you do not get it.

You can also get third party excess insurance (google it) which is so much cheaper but the car hire company will still put a hold on your cc for the excess amount until you return the car which can be a problem if your cc limit is low and you intend using it while on holidays.
BailMeOut is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-05-2016, 09:51   #53
Tigerandahalf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailMeOut View Post

You can also get third party excess insurance (google it) which is so much cheaper but the car hire company will still put a hold on your cc for the excess amount until you return the car which can be a problem if your cc limit is low and you intend using it while on holidays.
Will the hold on the credit card actually affect your limit for that month?

I would have thought it would only be an issue if they actually took the money from the credit card. Otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to use the credit card.
Tigerandahalf is offline  
09-05-2016, 09:51   #54
Gatica
Registered User
 
Gatica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,071
Always read the T&Cs, depending on where you hire different things will be included as part of the minimum legal requirement, e.g. in California they cannot charge you more excess than $500, so paying extra for excess insurance may not be worth it for example.
Also, very often minimal insurance only covers third party damage, so if the car is damaged or stolen you could be liable for the full cost of damages, towing charges and loss of rental fees. Some car liability cover will not include tires, rims, roof and windows, so check for this. Loss of keys is another one to check for, and roadside assistance.
Additional things that you may not need are medical insurance while in the vehicle (travel insurance IMO should cover this), personal effects insurance (e.g. your property stolen from a locked car).
Gatica is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2016, 09:53   #55
Gatica
Registered User
 
Gatica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
Will the hold on the credit card actually affect your limit for that month?

I would have thought it would only be an issue if they actually took the money from the credit card. Otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to use the credit card.
Yes, it will. They block that amount in case they need to charge it and you won't be able to use it. Not much good to them if you've maxed your cr card and they can't charge you to it. Also takes a couple of days for the block to be lifted.
Gatica is offline  
Thanks from:
09-05-2016, 09:56   #56
Tigerandahalf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatica View Post
Yes, it will. They block that amount in case they need to charge it and you won't be able to use it. Not much good to them if you've maxed your cr card and they can't charge you to it. Also takes a couple of days for the block to be lifted.
Would they not still be able to charge.
I have gone over my limit before and the transaction wasn't stopped. I was simply charged an overlimit fee by the bank. I think it was €7.
Tigerandahalf is offline  
09-05-2016, 10:08   #57
BailMeOut
Registered User
 
BailMeOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
Would they not still be able to charge.
I have gone over my limit before and the transaction wasn't stopped. I was simply charged an overlimit fee by the bank. I think it was €7.
would depend on your cc and what the transaction was. If you are trying to pay for a large hotel bill at the end of a holiday and the rental car company had most of your limit tied up you could be in for some bother.
BailMeOut is offline  
Thanks from:
13-05-2016, 08:06   #58
naughtysmurf
Registered User
 
naughtysmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,558
For the Canary Islands I use Cicar or Cabrera Medina, both the same company really, you can book online & pay cash for the rental, no credit card needed, fully covered, no excess

For Orlando FL, always use uscarhire.com, low deposit, full insurance CDW, SLI, UMP, you can cancel & amend for no charge, as you have pre paid everything in Euro there is no hard sell at the airport, the only thing the agent can flog you is a toll pass which most people don't need, GPS or child seat, you can bypass the desk anyway using the self service kiosks (Alamo & National)
naughtysmurf is offline  
13-05-2016, 15:33   #59
flikflak
Registered User
 
flikflak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 979
After many years of renting in Europe and using whoever was the cheapest I only tend to use Avis now as I can add air miles to by account with them. I am a preferred member and always get a free additional driver too.

I like the fact that as a preferred member (nothing special just a loyalty club) my keys are waiting for me when I arrive and it takes minutes to pick up my car without being at the desk for ages going through all the extras and things you have to endure with cheaper companies. Tank is always full to return full. Also the fact they you simply return the keys, there is a quick look over the vehicle and you are gone. There is none of this going over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any tiny scratch that may be there.

I have seen car hire in Europe for €5 a day. I dread to think what they are going to try and sell you at the desk and make you purchase once you are there. It may be €5 initially but I bet by the time you add everything up (insurance, fuel, on airport pick up charge - I have even seen fees for returning the car!!) I bet its not that much more than if you are a member of a bigger companies loyalty club and have booked with a member code.
flikflak is offline  
16-05-2016, 09:22   #60
Speculator
Registered User
 
Speculator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 284
We've used CompareTravel.ie a few times, its a car rental comparison website.

Never had any issues.

Last edited by Speculator; 16-05-2016 at 09:22. Reason: typo
Speculator is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet