Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home heating automation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dozz

@deezell I assume a second nest thermostat (without the heatlink) would work the same as described above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭deezell

No. Each nest needs a heatlink to operate. The heatlink has only one CH relay. Nest is what it is, it was developed from the American offering, which had multiple low voltage wired connections on the actual wall device designed to work directly with US HVAC standards, entirely unsuitable for here or Europe. Nest created the European version with the extra heatlink receiver for mains voltage switching for HW and CH.

I installed one in Holland for family when it was first released in the European version, many years ago. They never altered the product since other than to create an eco version with CH only, the Nest E , with a smaller battery operated receiver.

This might be a viable route to a second nest zone stat, but I couldn't say if it can be integrated onto a single app for both stats, they're almost completely different products. The E stat is a plasticity version of the Nest 3rd gen, and uses a rechargeable battery, and can be powered from a charger/adapter. It's also still pretty expensive for what it is.

The E was discontinued in the US, and the future of Nest products and support is uncertain, with the parent Google scrapping a number of Nest devices. There have been no advances since its introduction, no TRV support, and a strange approach to powering the stats themselves has created a product that is probably baffling to the heating trade, indeed, to electricians and engineers. If support at the app level is withdrawn, you'll end up with a product that's just a wireless wall stat with no cloud or Internet support. This is my read on it anyway, I don't see a long future for it.

https://www.currys.ie/products/google-nest-thermostat-e-10186639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dozz

Thanks @deezell you help and advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Probably asked a thousand tunes so apologies. I have an eph 2 zone system and would like the ability to remote turn on the heating. Can I replace the eph timer with something else?

Just want the ability to boost for an hour remotely if I'm away from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stueymc

Looking for a bit of help/advice if possible.

I have a Viessman Vitodens 200-W WB2B gas boiler fitted. It is about 10 or 11 years old, runs perfectly. It has a integrated, factory fitted timer. The heating system is two zone - rad.'s and hot cylinder - controlled by Danfoss room stat., cylinder stat., and a RX2C controller. Heating only, no DHW. The built in timer is a bit simplistic, and not wifi. And from what I can figure out, to go the Viessman route of making the boiler wifi accessible is both awkward and expensive. Ideally I would like to put in an Optimium OP-BM-IHTWF01 Wi-Fi Boiler Module (or something similar) but can not figure out how. In theory I know I have to bypass the built in timer/controller, and set the boiler to permanently ON, and then let the external timer take over. Has anyone any experience with this type of boiler? Or has anyone already solved this problem, and is willing to share the "How"?

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi All.

I've had a hive system installed for the last number of years and love it. It's a 2 zone with hot water on gas. I installed it myself pretty easily with some help from online sources. It really changed how our house is heated. Previously we used to just boost every now and then and this resulted in peaks and troughs. Once I installed hive I was able to keep the house at a consistent enough temperature without any significant increase in gas usage.

So fast forward to Black Friday this year and Amazon ran a good discount on the Hive TRVs, so I decided to jump on them and purchased 9 of them. Here is my review (Spoiler, they are useless).

1. I installed and paired them without any fuss, it was basically seamless apart form 1 radiator that the plumber for some reason installed an old 28mm connection instead of the 30mm everywhere else and none of the adapter supplied with hive worked (not hives fault obviously).
    2. I had read that it takes a long time to calibrate so I did the immediate calibration which took around 4 hours with the heat boosted during this time. All the valves calibrated fine and were ready for use.
    3. I enabled Heat on Demand, which essentially means as each room drops below a target temperature the individual valves will call to boos the heat until it reaches the target temperature. For the most part this operation seems to work fine.
    4. Where everything falls apart is when more than 1 valve calls for HOD during the same window none of them will close off heat until the last one is finished. So in essence the only part of HOD that works is the boosting. The valves remain open constantly and overshoot significantly.
    5. The limitation of how the valves measure temperature is clear as day. Unless you have the ideal conditions (no radiators under windows, radiators completely free for air flow etc), the temperature readings are way off. By as much as a few degrees. This causes a perpetual boost stop boost cycle where the valve falls below target temperature, call for heat, reaches target temperature, stop calling for heat, quickly drops temperature again, calls for etc, and round we go.

Regarding point 4 above, I was reading online that the reason that can happen (valve not closing off), is due to the valve not being fitted correctly. I ruled this out by running a simple test. I turn the valve completely off from the app and boost the heat. In this situation the valve clearly works and the radiator in question doesn't heat up. So that proves that it is installed correctly and the fault of the valve not closing off when on a schedule is down to software. This same behaviour is repeated with all the valves not just one of them so it's a systemic issue. So wit all this in mind rather than the valves adding to the efficiency of the overall system it causes more gas to be used than without them. I tested over 2 days with identical outdoor temperatures. One with the valves enabled on a schedule controlling the heat and another with the valves just set to open and reverting back to using the main thermostat.

So TLDR, these valves are not fit for purpose. Whatever algorithm they use to control the opening and closing of the valves simple doesn't work (or has way too much latency in them). Once they call for HOD it seems they don't close for hours regardless of whether they reach target temperature of not. I keep reading people online saying they work great for them, but I guarantee that they haven't actually tested them correctly and are just under the illusion that because they see individual TRVs calling for heat that they are working fully.

I think I will be returning mine for a refund and would not advise that anyone purchase them for their setup unless all they want is a limit on the lowest point for temperature because that part works but it will overshoot your target temperature and continue to heat up as long as the boiler is on.

Point 4 sounds very wrong. I can only venture a guess as to why they might remain open after scheduled period is up. It seems they are acting as if no other source is calling the boiler, so they just instruct the relay to stop the boiler, but not close the valve. They may not be closing the valve either when they are the only TRV in operation, but they stop heating as the boiler is no longer under call from any TRV. It seems to point to mechanical calibration, the TRVs are not pressing the pins fully home to close the valves.

I had thought that initially but why is it consistent across all of the valves and on 2 separate zones which were calibrated separately?

In one instance in the upstairs zone one of the valves lost it's calibration and was calibrated a second time and still exhibits the same behaviour.

What I've noticed is any valve on a schedule that calls for heat at any time remains open perpetually so far in my testing. The work perfectly to call for heat and stop the boosting but the mechanical closing of the valve post this step never works unless I manually set the valve to off in the app and then the valve closes fine.

Example: The dining room valve called for heat this morning and got to and overshot the target temperature (which in itself is fine as that is expected in isolation), stopped calling for heat, but the kitchen valve was still calling for heat and the dining room radiator kept heating until the boiler turned off. Subsequently a while later the sitting room valve called for heat and was the only valve "opened" according to the app, but all radiators heated up even though they were all at or above target temperature and were marked as off in the app.

So not an isolated "one of the valves is failing". All of them behave the same and don't shut off unless manually turned off in the app (which proves mechanically that they are capable of turning off the radiator).

• Advertisement

Well that shows that all the valves which were 'off' hadn't pressed the trv valve pin down to the bottom. This is what I suggested, that the valves are not closing the valves fully. There may be some algorithm whereby a valve will close partially but assume the boiler zone will be off, so no circulation. I haven't read on any forum of this before, though recall a Tado TRV owner having valve closing problems. You got the TRV valves fitted specifically for Hive TRVs, you didn't already have TRVs with mechanical heads. Is it possible the TRV valves are mechanically unsuitable for the Hive. There might be some 30mm heads with the right 1.5 thread, but perhaps the pins are a bit short and need extenders to ensure the hive closes them.

No, I had manual trvs installed prior to hive. To your point regarding the pin length, if that was an issue wouldn't the hive trv fail to shut off the radiator valve when turned off too, because they can shut them off the radiator valve (thus meaning the radiator does not get warm when the boiler is on) when I turn off the valve in the app? This means that mechanically the pin is long enough to be shut off by hive and it's the calibration and algorithm that is at fault with hive not the physical devices.

Thats what's puzzling. If you can have other radiators in the zone heating, and one definitely closed to the heating flow, stone cold when off in the app, but once turned on, remains on if you manually or in the app set its temperature well below its current measure. What was the brand of manual TRVs, if you've kept any of the heads.

The manual ones are Myson Petite:

https://pjnolan.ie/product/myson-petite-trv/

The thing is, regardless of the type/make of the manual trvs, the hive valves that are capable of closing the radiators when turned off in the app just not when running on a schedule for HOD.

I'm just running a test again now. I've turned every trv off in the hive app and boosted the heat in both zones. As expected none of the radiators are warming up. So this says to me that the hive algorithm is either broken by a firmware update (as I have seen other on reddit complain about the same thing) or it has never worked properly in the first place.

As I type this the same valve that lost calibration upstairs has once again lost calibration again and wants to be calibrated again for the 3rd time. I have removed and re-seated it a number of times and each time the calibration works only to reset a few days later. These are just too much bloody work when they should simply just work. I'll give them a week to see if there is any improvement but after that I'm sending them back.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

No problem. When you boost the heat with the zone stat, of course the boiler runs and the zone valve opens, so, as the TRV can close the valves fully on OFF, it would seem then that when they're part of a zone, they only soft close as if to reduce the flow sufficiently to allow the radiator cool to its next lower temperature in the schedule. Can you insert an OFF in the schedule, or just a virtual off as in a very low temperature. This is all you can do in the Tado, set a time slot to 5°, or manually hit the off button.

It does look like a software quirk, perhaps an attempt to reduce battery consumption by not hard closing the valves at the higher torque required to seal them.

The Myson petite anyway are standard M30 1.5, no thread adapters or pin adapters required according to the Tado chart, which I'd expect applies to all standard size trvs. We probably haven't heard the end of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

With all of this room automation etc, does it not mean that the boiler is coming on more often - burning more oil than actually getting up to heat and ticking over? Again, I have no clue about this stuff but I'm thinking it would be the case?

• Advertisement

In theory it shouldn't as the only the radiators that call for heat will draw heat thus reducing the requirements on the boiler on each pass. In reality that doesn't really work for me as at least with Hive the system is all over the place. Coming on and off very regularly.

Even aside from the crap firmware that doesn't properly close the valves once the reach the target temperature, part of the problem is the nature of trvs measuring room temperature is in no way accurate. They claim there is a "special algorithm" to do the temperature measurement but unless they have ideal conditions (which lets fact it very few homes have), they are going to be well off. The right way to do this is to have a mobile mini thermostat for each room that informs the trvs and not relying on the trvs themselves for the temperature measurement.

It's disappointing as the core hive system is brilliant but these trvs are just not fit for purpose and people are probably just not realising the inefficiency of them in real world environments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I wonder if it's trying to maintain a bypass flow in that zone in the absence of a specific bypass radiator. I know that heating-therory-101 says that you're supposed to have a bypass rad with no TRV on it, but few I would think do this in practice. The net effect of fully closing off a zone (with no others open) is that the water pressure backs-up in the heat-exchanger and the boiler can go into a thermal trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do you not have an offset or remote sensor option with those TRV's? My z-wave TRV's have both an offset (so I can set some with a positive offset if they are under windows) and they also allow a remote sensor within the room to act as the primary temperature source for that TRV. So that's two method used by other vendors to offset the inaccuracies of measuring a room temperature from an obscure location.

Should also have asked, does your heating have a wall stat, and do you wish to remote control of HW also

• Advertisement

That would make sense in theory if it was only 1 valve that remained opened but they all do.

I do have bypass rads on both loops with no trvs in any case.

Nope, no remote sensor and no offset.

The only remote sensor is the main thermostat for each zone but not per valve.

You can replace your EPH with any CH plus HW kit, Tado wireless starter kit, Hive Mini (or Active) CH plus HW kit with hub, or Drayton Wiser Kit2. As you only want to turn on the CH remotely, you could do this with a €10 smart socket and free internet app. Wire a plug to the CH NC terminal of your eph, then you can switch it on from anywhere like you would a table lamp, with a timer set on the app.

Thanks for the reply. I have a number of smart sockets already and the smartthings app, also controlled by Google homes. I could possibly wire in a smart plug somewhere alright

It's likely your eph 2 zone has hard wired timer out to the CH on terminal, and not a 3 pole volt free relay. In this case it is OK to wire a volt free smart switch or relay from the eph Live to the CH on, bypassing the eph timer. I would hesitate to use a smart socket, as the live pin of any plug used to bridge live to the CH on terminal will become live when the eph CH timer activates, and were you to unplug this plug from the smart socket there is a danger of shock from the 3 pin plug live pin. Using a hard wired smart switch or relay gives a safer installation.

I looked at this boilers installation manual, its very much and advanced boiler, with myriads if add on options and bus controls. It does, however, still have a basic switched live boiler call link between live and terminal 1 of connecter 96.

Bridging this with an external timer relay will fire the boiler, assuming the internal timer is set to on. Your Danfoss rx2c wireless receiver would control the zone valves for HW and CH, these valves in turn would jointly supply a switched live to terminal 1 connecter 69 of the viessmann, which will then fire provided it's timer is set. The Danfoss has no timing function, and can easily be replaced by a smart controller to supply timed lives to the zone valves. You would set the Viessmans internal timer to always on, or configure it out of the system, I'm guessing the former would be easier, the latter will require quite a bit of understanding of the Viessman configuration. I'll link the manual.

Because the cylinder thermostat is presumably also wireless to the Danfoss receiver, (check this), you could retain the Danfoss for this function, wiring its HW live out via the HW relay of your new smart controller, or vice versa, the HW out of the new controller into the Com terminal of the Danfoss HW channel. The Danfoss CH channel live out is diverted to the CH out of your new controller, and your new smart wireless stat installed.

None of this requires any tinkering with the wiring of the Viessman, as it is still fired by the zone valves. previously under the control of the Danfoss (which is still used to relay the HW cylinder stat control). As timing for HW and CH has now been moved before the valves, rather than inside the boiler, it is only a case of setting the boiler timer to always on. It will only fire when the independent HW and CH timers of the new receiver are on, and their stats are closed. I'd recommend the Tado wireless starter kit as a replacement, or the Hive mini CH plus HW kit.

Thanks again. I installed the eph timer and zoned the system a few years back myself. I'd prefer the hard wired option too, would u have a link to a suitable one?

Something like this, put it in a single wall socket box beside the eph.

https://amzn.eu/d/j5cakW1

One that works remotely by WiFi, and not just locally.

I have the eph wiring centre in the hotpress so could possibly fit it in there

• Advertisement

Yes. A connector strip in a plastic box, there should be room for the device there, and L and N to power it. You can actually create schedules with those smart plug/relay apps, cheap remote heating controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Does any one have a system with an outdoor sensor with open therm that is rock solid and recommended?

OT only really works if you have direct HW boiler, or seperate boiler HW flow and return with internal boiler diverter valve. Also, a single OT zone, as its not possible to join two OT thermostats. Honeywell Evohome system does have some ability afaik to address the boiler by OT while switching zones and valves. Trvs controlled rooms in a single main zone should also benefit from the single OT call to the boiler. I don't see any reason this shouldn't work with Tado OT.

Thanks a ton for the detailed info. I have an Ideal Independent 15 boiler on S plan with two heating zones and the water, and solar thermal. If I understand you correctly, the gas wont work with open therm but maybe the immersion? Immersion counts as direct? I don't use the immersion but it would be nice to have it set up online a as a back up. I was looking into getting a module to connect the solar thermal to the web via Germany. I notice on the Vbus website they have outdoor sensors depicted https://www.vbus.net/#/

I am not into extreme home automation, at least not right now but I would love reduce my bills as much as possible and maybe have a sensor here and there for alerting me to post delivery or water leaks.

Well with solar thermal, the best solution is to have the timer on your HW controller set until later in the day, to allow the thermal do the heavy lifting of getting the cold tank up to some useful temperatures in the winter, and probably fully heated in summer. The HW zone should have a stat on the tank, so it will cut the boiler when the tank stat temperature is reached. This won't prevent the thermal from continuing to contribute, as it's coil is in the bottom and gets first dibs on the incoming cold water. If you find the water is not up to scratch first thing in the morning, set the HW timer for a modest burst, 30 mins maybe, then if there's a bit of solar, it will preheat before the next timer burst. Heating water by electricity is three times the price of oil/gas, avoid, unless you have a night rate of about 12c/unit.

When you say the immersion may work with opentherm, you're not understanding what opentherm is about. It's an algorithm which reduces the temperature of central heating water flow as a function of the thermostats target temperature. So the boiler not only knows the CH is calling for heat, but it has a read of the room temperature and the required target temperature. This data allows it to modulate the boiler burning so as i the heat the rooms, but yet maintain the lowest flow and return temperature, the purpose of which is to keep the boiler in optimum condensing mode and save a few euro. This flow temperature is insufficient for HW, direct or otherwise, so during HW demand, direct or to the cylinder, the boiler will need to output for HW at 60°+, to ensure recovery heat transfer in an indirect cylinder, and to prevent legionella in the HW circuits. With single zone CH and direct HW OT connected boilers, the direct HW temperature can usually be set from the HW setting in the app.

A boiler operating in OT can be forced back into dumb in demand firing by simply wiring the HW zone valve volt free relay across the digital OT terminals. A short on these is interpreted as a normal dumb call for heat.

As you have two CH zones, it would be difficult to implement OT for your CH unless you investigate the Evohome option, complex and expensive. What controller and stats do you currently have on your 2 CH and HW zones?

That is highly informative. Maybe I am speaking without wisdom but it really seems the tech is not mature by the sounds of it.

I have a Climote. Basic system but it suits me fine mostly. I presumed Climote can't modulate but I don't even know this. I have an upstairs and downstairs adjustable EPH thermostat, I presume wired. I am planning to do some serious alterations in in 1-2 years so I may be able to lay more wires if it helps.

Climote gone bust, so you might want to change you controller and stats for something smarter. Hive, Drayton wiser, or Tado would fit the bill. Your Climote was installed in place of a three channel EPH controller? Thus using the original EPH upstairs/,downstairs mechanical stats, and using the Climote as a 3 channel timer. Climote app access is set to disappear, there have been no buyers for the companies subscription client database.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1019/1411829-liquidators-appointed-to-heating-firm-climote-ltd/#:~:text=The%20High%20Court%20has%20appointed,plan%20could%20not%20be%20agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

Got some help here with a Hive install previously, many thanks. Am getting confused doing another one on a conventional boiler, no separate hot water. Using the plate below and having trouble patching. Hardly as simple as Blue to N, Brown to L and Black to Slot4?

To me it looks like the live in with the earth, then a L/N and a switched live back out to the boiler, which is on the opposite side of that wall.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by gillamandango on

Is there a sketch of the terminal wiring on the outside of that timer? Maybe a picture looking down on the terminals, it's hard to figure where the 5 wires are terminated, and which are joined. It looks like an APT timer. These are normally , from the top N, L in, L out and Earth. The wires in your image appear to be brown and black to 3, both blue to 2, and a single brown to 1, with 4, earth, empty.

There's 5 wires , so you'd assume there's L and N in, and L and N out. The N are tied together, and one L is switched by the timer. If the boiler requires a permanent live to operate correctly, the live in would be directly linked to a permanent live out, and a switched/timed live would also go to the boiler to fire it, that accounts for 5 wires, as you surmised This switched Live would normally be the black wire, but its hard to tell whats going on on on that timer unless you test the terminals with a meter of a phase test screwdriver to see which is permanent live in, which is switched live by the timer. Once you know this you replicate the connections of the 5 wires to the hive.

What brand is this timer? picture of the front , and the diagram, if its there. Operate it while off the wall and see which wires are permanent live and what are timed live.

• Advertisement

Apologies, it was buried internally on the timer switch.

1 - L In - Black/Brown

2 - N In - Blue

From the board with the Earth. L In Black then out to Boiler

3 - N Out - Blue

4 - L Out - Brown

Seem to go to the Boiler outside

So there's a permanent live and a switched live to the boiler, which makes sense. All you've got to do is copy these to the hive, both Ns to N, the Brown and Black live to permanent L , and the other Brown to 4, Heating on. It's a bit confusing with the permanent live coming in on Black. You'd expect Brown/Blue in from the switch board, connected to Brown/Blue back out to the boiler, always on power, the a switched live out on the black wire. At least there's no live being sent on a green/yellow.

This is very helpful. I think the Climote was installed in place of a three channel EPH controller. The EvoHome is very complicated but it seems to have a lot more controllability if it can deal with two zones and works offline. I would be handy enough so if I could I manage a DIY install and just connect it to the two zones and ignore the rads for the time being, would that work?

Yes, but if you just use any decent smart system as named earlier to run your three zones, you'll get close to the same results as using an OT boiler control. Tado in particular mimics boiler boiler modulation, by responding to heat calls with three different levels of firing intensity, a type of pulse modulation, so as a room approaches temperature it modulates the boiler firing, slowing the rate if delivery of heat, which has the effect of maintaining the desired temperature with a lower flow temperature.

Tado also uses local weather conditions and outside temperatures as supplied online by Accuweather, to adjust the delivery rate of heat, so its effectively like having an outside sensor fitted. The only thing it can't do is adjust or limit the max flow temperature of your boiler, but you can set this yourself, to limit excessive flow temperatures and lack of condenser heat recovery, while at the same time having enough headroom in your system to maintain set temperature during cold external temperatures.

I've read somewhere that development of Evo is stalled, there's been no innovation or upgrades of the hardware or software for some time. There had been a few posters here hoing back who were heavily invested in it, but its been a while since I've seen it mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey,

I'm in the process of building a house with Geo Thermal heating system, heat pump and under floor heating ground and 1st floor. I dont know much yet about which model of heat pump we'll have, but just wondering if people with similar setup have any smart heating controls and thermostat etc you use?

Thanks

• Advertisement

You can install a Tado wired stat to each UFH zone valve for €100 a go from Screwfix currenty, with a master wireless stat receiver and internet bridge, a bargain at only €111, call to the heatpump for any UFH zone. Trivial cost in terms of what you're probably paying for the geothermal heatpump and UFH install.

Thanks for that. And do you think there is a benefit to having smart controls with UFH, where by it's nature it's going to be a lot slower changing e.g. in winter it will be pretty much always on at maybe 21 C in living spaces and 19 C in bedrooms.

In that case where changes are in-frequent is there really a benefit to making it smart?

Tado assert that their stats can operate with UFH. In terms of smarts, the away mode is useful for saving, as is open window detection, infinitely variable zone schedules, very fine control of specified temperature, and outside temperature compensation. Also, a separate HW timer is available on the wireless starter kit if your heatpump has a HW specific calling mode (higher flow temp required) and you have a HW cylinder.

You'll need to know how many individual wall thermostatically controlled zones you have, and cost each one in comparison to the model the UFH installers might use. Unless they use a really cheap mechanical stat or a basic digital electronic stat, they'll still be spending in the region of €80 to 100 for decent units, which may only be manually and locally programmable, if even that. Tado state that their stats can learn the response profiles of the heating system they control, and thus adjust 'firing' times and intensity to get optimum heating with minimal lag or overshoot.

The only significant difference that I can think of is that none of the smarter stats can accommodate an underfloor temperature sensor in addition to the wall air temperature sensor. The Heatmiser range do have this facility, if your UFH installers are believers in its usefulness. I'm inclined to think its use is limited to preventing overheating of the floor surface. You can ask your installers what they think.

Thank you so much for that detail. I've just asked my builder whats the standard Thermostat they use with Geo/UFH, so once I know that I research and compare some more to Tado and others. I'm also for going Smart controls, I just want to make sure there is value in it. I'll probably be back with more questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

@deezell Just wanted to thank you for all the advice. We finally got our Drayton Kit3 set up today & it’s working really well. So handy to be able to control everything from the app!

Thanks so much, you’ve made it all so easy for us 😊

• Advertisement
Advertisement