Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-07-2015, 14:50   #16
soundmangar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAlice View Post
This might seem like a silly question but here goes.

In the Lawler McDonald fight both fighters were seriously busted up. McDonald broke his nose in the first round and Lawler was staggering around the ring after getting the knee in the head.

Why didn't the ref call a halt to this fight sooner? It seemed like both of them were a lot more injured than Mendes was so I'm just wondering what the difference is. Is it because Mendes stopped defending himself?
Yes. Once you stop intelligently defending yourself the fight is stopped. A fighter with a broken nose is very capable of winning a fight. Mendes turtled which is not intelligently defending, Lawler and Rory were still throwing bombs trying to win the fight.
soundmangar is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 14:51   #17
IrishAlice
Registered User
 
IrishAlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazys View Post
You answered you're own question, Yes it was because Mendes stopped intelligently defending himself and didn't try to fight back. Mendes went into turtle mode where Conor would have just kept battering him the ref had to protect Mendes as he wasn't protecting himself well enough but while Lawler and McDonald were seriously hurt, they were still reacting to and defending their opponent's offense.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if what Mendes did constituted defending himself or not so wasn't sure.

Does it generally happen that as soon as a fighter drops into this position the fight is stopped?
IrishAlice is offline  
13-07-2015, 14:53   #18
IrishAlice
Registered User
 
IrishAlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmangar View Post
Yes. Once you stop intelligently defending yourself the fight is stopped. A fighter with a broken nose is very capable of winning a fight. Mendes turtled which is not intelligently defending, Lawler and Rory were still throwing bombs trying to win the fight.
Their fight was insane! Really enjoyed it once I got over all the blood
IrishAlice is offline  
13-07-2015, 14:53   #19
Connavar
Registered User
 
Connavar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazys View Post

Yes gassed means winded
When I hear winded, I think of a hit to the chest/back. But I would equate gassing more with being tired/out of breath(can also be caused by a hit)
Connavar is offline  
13-07-2015, 15:13   #20
ibrahimovic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 263
Maybe not the right thread, but could any one link to some well regarded mma video training/tutorials for beginers to get the fundamentals to do at home, me and a mate want to try. I heard Mendes mentioning some Bas rutten ones in the conference.
ibrahimovic is offline  
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 15:14   #21
Hazys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAlice View Post
Thanks, I wasn't sure if what Mendes did constituted defending himself or not so wasn't sure.

Does it generally happen that as soon as a fighter drops into this position the fight is stopped?
No, not as soon as the assume that position but from what i remember was Conor threw two punches while Mendes was in the turtle position, the ref wasn't going to leave Conor have a third because Mendes didn't even move on the first two.

If Mendes had taken the first and maybe the second punch in the turtle position then scrambled into another position or tried to grapple with Conor (well basically if he did anything other than stay in the turtle position) the ref would have left the fight continue but he didnt. So going into turtle isn't an automatic stoppage or any other position where you don't try to intelligently defend yourself, the ref will give you a chance to comeback.

Herb Dean is the best UFC ref and he made the correct decision to stop the fight. Maybe another ref may have left it gone a few seconds later and Mendes would have been saved by the bell but i think that wouldn't have been the right decision and people are only talking about the stoppage because it was so close to the end of the round but for the Refs the clock plays no part in insuring a fighter's safety. If Mendes went into the turtle position with 30 seconds left we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Hazys is offline  
Thanks from:
13-07-2015, 15:15   #22
Hazys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
When I hear winded, I think of a hit to the chest/back. But I would equate gassing more with being tired/out of breath(can also be caused by a hit)
Yeah sorry you're right. Gasses would mean ran out of gas aka tired more than it would mean winded.
Hazys is offline  
13-07-2015, 16:07   #23
raze_them_all_
Registered User
 
raze_them_all_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimovic View Post
Maybe not the right thread, but could any one link to some well regarded mma video training/tutorials for beginers to get the fundamentals to do at home, me and a mate want to try. I heard Mendes mentioning some Bas rutten ones in the conference.
go to a gym. They are all over the country and safe and you will actually learn technique. The learn from videos was when the sport was in it's infancy
raze_them_all_ is offline  
(3) thanks from:
13-07-2015, 16:26   #24
IrishAlice
Registered User
 
IrishAlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazys View Post
No, not as soon as the assume that position but from what i remember was Conor threw two punches while Mendes was in the turtle position, the ref wasn't going to leave Conor have a third because Mendes didn't even move on the first two.

If Mendes had taken the first and maybe the second punch in the turtle position then scrambled into another position or tried to grapple with Conor (well basically if he did anything other than stay in the turtle position) the ref would have left the fight continue but he didnt. So going into turtle isn't an automatic stoppage or any other position where you don't try to intelligently defend yourself, the ref will give you a chance to comeback.

Herb Dean is the best UFC ref and he made the correct decision to stop the fight. Maybe another ref may have left it gone a few seconds later and Mendes would have been saved by the bell but i think that wouldn't have been the right decision and people are only talking about the stoppage because it was so close to the end of the round but for the Refs the clock plays no part in insuring a fighter's safety. If Mendes went into the turtle position with 30 seconds left we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I heard everyone talking about how good the ref is so figured it was the right decision but just wasn't totally sure as to why the situation differed from Lawler v McDonald.

Thanks for the responses, it makes things a lot clearer!
IrishAlice is offline  
Advertisement
13-07-2015, 20:45   #25
Dtp1979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimovic View Post
Maybe not the right thread, but could any one link to some well regarded mma video training/tutorials for beginers to get the fundamentals to do at home, me and a mate want to try. I heard Mendes mentioning some Bas rutten ones in the conference.
You'd really be better off going to an MMA beginners class. Not being smart, but if your trying techniques or heaven forbid even submissions without the watchful eye of an experienced instructor , you or your friend will end up hurt if something goes wrong
Dtp1979 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
25-07-2015, 12:12   #26
BOHtox
Registered User
 
BOHtox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,058
Is there an age or physical condition that's too old or too unfit or too small ()to start? Living in south Dublin too, what would be the best gym to give a ring? I also have zero experience of any form of martial arts/self-defence etc.

I'm taking the McGregor train by storm and have been really watching enjoying UFC the last two years or so
BOHtox is offline  
27-07-2015, 14:13   #27
MartyMcFly84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,212
Send a message via AIM to MartyMcFly84
We have people in their 60s training with us and some people with lifelong physical disabilities.

There is no too old , or too weak. Don't think you will need "to get fit first" as this is often as an excuse to put things on the long finger. Only small % of people who attend MMA gyms actually fight and an even smaller % fight at a high level. In our gym 90% is made up of people who just want to exercise, learn some new skills and try something different than a regular gym.

You will get the fitness required by attending classes. Most gyms have dedicated beginners programs. Get on google and check out gyms that you can make it too easy enough, and decide how far you can realistically travel on a regular basis. No point picking a gym that will be pain to get to and a deterrent to going to class.

Try a few different gyms out and see what ones you like the most, and start going to classes.
MartyMcFly84 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-07-2015, 14:26   #28
cowzerp
Registered User
 
cowzerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAlice View Post
I heard everyone talking about how good the ref is
In general if Joe Rogan says someone is the best people just run with it, Personally I think he'd ok and often times just awful

Like the other day 2 fighters had to walk away without him stopping the fight as he did not get in fast enough, That is not high class reffing by any standards.

But again if Joe Rogan says it, it must be true
cowzerp is offline  
30-07-2015, 16:42   #29
jcd5971
Registered User
 
jcd5971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
In general if Joe Rogan says someone is the best people just run with it, Personally I think he'd ok and often times just awful

Like the other day 2 fighters had to walk away without him stopping the fight as he did not get in fast enough, That is not high class reffing by any standards.

But again if Joe Rogan says it, it must be true
How dare you .... Plus rogan has often said big John mccarthy is best ref in mma.

Anyway it's all nonsense I think we all know Steve mazaggati is best ref in mma
jcd5971 is offline  
31-07-2015, 09:25   #30
MartyMcFly84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,212
Send a message via AIM to MartyMcFly84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd5971 View Post
Steve mazaggati is best ref in mma
I think Cecil Peoples will have something to say about that, that was... until he was shot by an American dentist in Africa.
MartyMcFly84 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet