Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugging up the mountains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I was up kippure last night after dark and felt very exposed. If you had two cars working in convoy they'd have the run of the place in terms of warning of oncoming traffic. I've seen them smash multiple cars in break ins with no real expectation of anything worth more that twenty or thirty quid, yet there's a regular stream of lads on bikes worth 2 grand and up. I'd be surprised if it wasn't done to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Saw this posted on FB and in the thread below a guy said he phoned round the local Garda stations (starting with the one mentioned in the article) and none have a report of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

This just doesn't read like anything anyone who has cycled up there would say:
    "Don’t go up Kippure or Sally Gap to Laragh on your own on a bike"
    "good carbon bikes" sounds like a non cyclist description too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

The incident last summer definitely happened, a guard in our club informed us about it, i wondered if last years incident was being rehashed as happened this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

There was a significant drop in business in Glendalough Green yesterday. I wonder is the mugging putting cyclists off? I went over the gap myself - saw two Garda cars, one burnt-out car and about four cyclists between the Gap and Laragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The wettest day this month you mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thud wrote: »
    This just doesn't read like anything anyone who has cycled up there would say:
    "Don’t go up Kippure or Sally Gap to Laragh on your own on a bike"
    "good carbon bikes" sounds like a non cyclist description too

My wife saw this and was getting all concerned about my solo ventures. I asked her would she avoid going for a few jars in the city centre with her mates if there was an unconfirmed rumour that someone got mugged there and almost had there phone and wallet stolen? Clearly not. So yes the van thing could have happened and may well happen again. If might just as likely happen elsewhere, given those involved would appear to have transport, or may not happen again. Life and cycling carry some attendant risks, I doubt this is one of the bigger ones and even if it was, I wouldn't let it keep me from my bike or the hills.

And good carbon bikes? My Rose CX is lovely alu bike. Am I not worthy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

brownian wrote: »
    There was a significant drop in business in Glendalough Green yesterday. I wonder is the mugging putting cyclists off? I went over the gap myself - saw two Garda cars, one burnt-out car and about four cyclists between the Gap and Laragh.

Or the fact that the forecast was for heavy rain all day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Melodeon wrote: »
    Looks like a close-range shotgun blast.

tumblr_mtcrmj8Nve1s01qkyo1_500.gif

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hmmm...
    1. Leave my bike in the office
    2. Head home and tell the wife that my bike was robbed
    3. Tell herself that I now have to get a new bike
    4. Buy new bike
    5. Tell herself some time later that old bike was found by gardai and delivered to your office

It might help if you order the new bike before the "mugging"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

daragh_ wrote: »
    Couple of people in my club have confirmed. Up around the Featherbeds.

Were they involved? Or was it a friend of a friend of a cousin of a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I assume. From a legal point. Robbing someone of their bike when on it is a more serious offence than stealing an unoccupied bike? Anyone know?

Robbery versus theft. Huge distinction in law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tunney wrote: »
    Were they involved? Or was it a friend of a friend of a cousin of a member?

A clubmate, as in someone in their club who can also be quantified as a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smacl wrote: »
    Considerably worse. Aggravated assault in addition to theft AFAIK
    fatbhoy wrote: »
    Robbery versus theft. Huge distinction in law.

Not to the person with hundreds of convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

smacl wrote: »
    Considerably worse. Aggravated assault in addition to theft AFAIK

If force is used then its a defined as a Robbery

kravmaga wrote: »
    If force is used then its a defined as a Robbery

Yep, from the Irish Statute book
    14.—(1) A person is guilty of robbery if he or she steals, and immediately before or at the time of doing so, and in order to do so, uses force on any person or puts or seeks to put any person in fear of being then and there subjected to force.

(2) A person guilty of robbery is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life.

Theft is defined as
    4.—(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.
    ;
    ;
    (6) A person guilty of theft is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Looks like it's happening again. Two lads ran a chap off the road and stole his bike at the cross roads according to his tweet. We noticed three garda cars on our club spin today, never normally see a single one.

https://twitter.com/balders93/status/1165340450934468610

I liked Joanna Donnelly's response :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If caught, they should be charged with attempted manslaughter/murder and definite assault of some sort.

Alexzont wrote: »
    Looks like it's happening again. Two lads ran a chap off the road and stole his bike at the cross roads according to his tweet. We noticed three garda cars on our club spin today, never normally see a single one.

https://twitter.com/balders93/status/1165340450934468610
    Up there myself this morning. Loads of people out, seems unlikely that this would go unwitnessed. Saw two Gardai cars over four hours on the road but have often seen them up there. Twitter link seems to be from 21 June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the dublin cycling campaign one is, but the chap responding to it saying 'this just happened to me' is from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Not uncommon for tourists to be mugged and walkers cars being broken into up there so this doesn't surprise me. Hopefully he got the reg. Does seem rather brazen of them as it was pretty busy up there yesterday prob moreso with the iron-man participants practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

the dublin cycling campaign one is, but the chap responding to it saying 'this just happened to me' is from today.

From the time on twitter looks like it was around 6pm? Would have been quiet then. Thought it was odd for a Saturday as it has been busy the last few times I've been on that road.

nak wrote: »
    From the time on twitter looks like it was around 6pm? Would have been quiet then. Thought it was odd for a Saturday as it has been busy the last few times I've been on that road.

I was out that way between 9am and 1pm and was passed by a Garda patrol car twice, so it does appear they're keeping an eye on the route during the busier times. I'd agree it is probably much quieter at 6pm, I doubt it would have gone unwitnessed much before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

From Enniskerry Facebook page;

F:Sheila.M.Hackett@garda.ie
    S:Bray Text Alert
    At 7pm, Sat 24th Aug, 2 Males in 05D Blue Nissan Almera drove a cyclist off the road at R759 SallyGap before fleeing in direction of Tallaght, Garda seeking witness's with dashcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

a ten year old trek 1.7, not the smartest criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If this happens and you manage to retain your phone tell the Gardai that the gang said they had a gun or a knife. You'll get a quicker response. You can use the usual Garda mantra to your advantage this time. "their word against yours".

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If this happens and you manage to retain your phone tell the Gardai that the gang said they had a gun or a knife. You'll get a quicker response. You can use the usual Garda mantra to your advantage this time. "their word against yours".

So, you're advocating lying to the Guards? Yeah, I can't see any pitfalls with that one. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

So, you're advocating lying to the Guards? Yeah, I can't see any pitfalls with that one. Get a grip

Not advocating telling porkies, but he may have a point: https://urbanlegendsonline.com/how-to-call-the-police/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Jesus Christ lying to the Gardai is incredibly stupid.

Advertisement