Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi all. Hope you all made it through Christmas as happy non-smokers :)

I did, it was remarkably easy. I am delighted with myself.

I have a fairly nasty chesty special but at least I haven't been smoking down on top of it like I've done with pretty much every chest infection I've had from my teens on!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all Hope every body is doing well.
    Hope everybody enjoyed there Christmas.

It is great u all kept the thread going:)
    O I am still smoking fool me.
    My quit date is the 1 st Jan again. Going to give it another go.
    O the thoughts of it :(
    wonder how all my buddy's from last year are doing,
    Have a great day everbody.
    Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 francismary

anybody else starting today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

got xmas over me and didnt give in! had loads of parties and nights out etc. now off them 8 months! really think i've beaten them this time! so chuffed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi all Hope every body is doing well.
    Hope everybody enjoyed there Christmas.

It is great u all kept the thread going:)
    O I am still smoking fool me.
    My quit date is the 1 st Jan again. Going to give it another go.
    O the thoughts of it :(
    wonder how all my buddy's from last year are doing,
    Have a great day everbody.
    Molly
    Hey Molly!

Thanks in part to your thread I am off the fags almost a year now. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Best of luck to everyone who stopped today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

anybody else starting today?

me :D i started ! was not a new year resolution though ! too hungover to smoke on the 1st ! stopped to think about it on the 2nd and decided i will give it ago ! i had never really thought about stopping before ! 26 smoking since 14 ! BUT i feel so happy with myself ( well besides the cravings and i cant take my mind off smokes and smoking and the taste.. ha ) day 3 today !! back in work was the hardest but hour by hour i would not let myself go for a smoke ! i just stopped and thought about it ! i.e the money i will save my health and how proud of myself i will be ! basiclly i am determined to do my best but my god its hard ha !! hopefully when i wake up in the morning and say day 4 no smoking ill be happy with myself !! day by day :D good luck to anyone else quitting !

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

So after a few failed attempts in the past, I am trying to quit again. I smoke about 15-20 a day and started foolishly 14 years ago when I was 19. I hate them so much now that I am angry the hold they have over my life. Day 1 was ok. Got a few cravings but using the gum for now to kill them. Back to work tomorrow so will be a new challenge. I feel my sinuses clearing already - part of the reason I am quitting as sinuses have been killing me on and off the last few years now. Good luck to anyone who is trying for 2012. Keep the faith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

December was my first full month without a smoke in 18 years !

It feels good. Don't really miss them at all.

Especially since I heard they topped the €9 mark earlier this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

day 3 of champix-my stop day will be saturday--am ecited and nervous--been smoking 20 for over 25 years now-sick of the expense and the potential health issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

So Christmas wasn't great!

But I'm back off them again and determined to stay off them! No more of this odd cig when I'm out, cold turkey for me this time!

Best of luck to everyone! We're doing the right thing I just know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

spider77 wrote: »
    I feel my sinuses clearing already - part of the reason I am quitting as sinuses have been killing me on and off the last few years now.

Day 4 for me and my sinuses feel a lot better as well. Wasnt something I even associated, Ive nasal polyps, but other non smoking family members have them too so never really thought about it in relation to smoking, just assumed my sinuses bothered me from time to time cos of the polyps - looks like the smoking contributed!!!
    locater7 wrote: »
    my stop day will be saturday--am ecited and nervous--been smoking 20 for over 25 years now-sick of the expense and the potential health issues

Best of luck on Saturday, speaking from my experience of last Sunday, when Saturday comes you will be so relieved that instead of thinking about it and dreading it that the time has come and youre actually doing it, its a LOT easier making that start on it than you think - the dread is worse!!

Had a good swim this morning, really helped burning off nervous energy I think. Just had a walk/jog there, also helped, am sucking on the fishermans friends like a good thing though!!

I have always been quite cardio active despite being a smoker so will be interested to see if my activities feel different due to my respiratory system not being smothered numerous times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I quit happily on christmas day, came back to work yesterday and straight into 2 hour meeting which culminated in heading out to shop for fags...........dissappointing to say the least. Ive always known work would be the death of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Haven't smoked since mid October, basically swapped cigarettes for Twix and Moro bars for a few months ! The waistline has expanded but I will address that in Jan, i think you have to give yourself a bit of a break in that respect. A few extra pounds can always be addressed in the gym !

minotour wrote: »
    Ive always known work would be the death of me.

I have my own situations which Im fearing but have come up with plans to survive them!! But I think you need to change your mindset, dont think 'work will be the death of me', think 'works gonna be hard but im gonna be strong'.
    Get prepared with whatever you need to help you not smoke in work.

And most of all - consider yesterday a slip - stop again right now, youve been off them since xmas!!! Dont waste all that effort!

DAY FOUR :D ah i am extremely irritable and moody but whats new ha! mouth is watery taste seems better :) generally very happy with myself ! its the longest i have ever gone ! think at this stage its about reminding myself why i want to quit and stick to it ! cravings are in my head I DO NOT NEED A SMOKE !! is what ive been shouting to myself all day ! dreading seeing my friends for a bitch and a cuppa maybe best to avoid them for a week ha avoid temptation ! best of luck everyone !! mind over matter :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noboc

Day 4 for me as well.Going better than i thought,Even yest evening i didnt think once About cig,My wallet actually has money in it.Both myself and hubby SMOKED and we reckon about 25euro between us we just to spend a day.so since sunday we have saved 100 euro.that is some money we smoked beenhonest.I was same as you drunky monkey,was fraid tomeet up with friends as they all smoke,but 2day i said I would rather get it over and done with,was not half as bad as i thought.Hubby bit cranky allright 2daybut we knewthat was goingto happen,I think we all have to think of the future,20 years time we will be all so happy we gave them up,keep up the great work ,it will be so WORTH it inthe end,as they say ur health is your wealth any by giving up smoking we shall have both,

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Today was my first anniversary. Of the fags for 1 year now and absolutely totally loving it!! Tomorrow my wife will have her first anniversary as well!!

Hard, yes it is, we had many failed attempts. In the end reading and re-reading Alan Car helped me. A total change in life style helped as well. I was 17 stone (6ft4") when I stopped in January and started putting on some more weight. I started running in May, weigh in at just over 14 stone at the moment and feel better than I've ever done and I run 4 times a week at least, whatever the weather :-)

All I can say is keep going people, it is so worth it!! We are/were slaves to those horrible things and nobody needs them, nobody.

Take it day by day and week by week and before you know it you are free.

I wish all you quitters the very best for 2012!!

Hi newbies,

Just dropping by to say that I am almost 9 months a non-smoker.

It is honestly one of the greatest things I've ever done.

I hope that you will all achieve what you hope to achieve.

The first three days are the worst. After that it's just breaking the habit. After twenty one days the habit is broken and hey presto! The non-smoking habit is formed :)

Take it one breath at a time. I found water/apples/walks helped me loads.

I now have no problem hanging out in the smoking area with friends, doesn't even cross my mind to smoke. To be honest, if it does enter my head it's in an "I can't believe I used to do that, it's rotten" kind of way.

I'm 32. I smoked since I was 15 or so. A lot. Now I don't and life is good. More money, healthier, skin is way nicer, breath and teeth are way nicer. Being alive is way nicer :)

Best of luck! Remember, the craving DOESN'T last. Deep breaths and they will pass. They always pass :)

• Advertisement

Thank you mud and Biglad, I love both of those posts - they give a lot of positive hope!!

I have had a good day 4 with little or no cravings. I exercised 3 different times today (this is normal for me), and the exercise REALLY helps with taking your mind off the fags. I usually feel guilty after I exercise and then smoke, but today I was proud afterwards!

I wasnt snacking at all today either, but I did drink a lot of water and had a few fishermans friends.

Im hoping to get a good nights sleep tonight, its really been a good day, much easier than I could have hoped (especially after yesterday!!).

I havent noticed any improvement in smell or taste yet, nor do I feel any different in terms of the respiratory system, although my sinuses do feel clearer than usual. My appetite seems normal, my sleep pattern is ok (seems to be taking a while to drop off but once I do I sleep well, mind you could be disruption of xmas season has the sleep a little off).

Hope everyone else is doing ok, Day 5 awaits me and Im feeling strong! Im so looking forward to the end of Day 7 - a week will feel like a real milestone!

I think something Ive learned from this is that its a lot like a lot of hard things in life, you just gotta pass time and as the time passes, it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and great to see all the encouragement from all the 'been there, done that' crew.

Had my last smoke (I hope) on Monday night at around 10.30pm. I wasn't that heavy a smoker (maybe 8 a day on weekdays and could be up to 15 at weekends) but I said I'd have to give it a lash. Taking a couple of those Nitquitin lozenges a day and to be honest I finish them gross. Only take them when I'm really bad. I mistly chew a bit of gum which usually works ok.

One thing I'd like to know is whether a person who gives up smoking automatically puts on a few pounds? Or is it a case of you only put it on if you eat a bit more due to appetite returning? I need to lose a few pounds anyway so don't really want to put on any more. I am planning to start doing a bit of exercise from next week on.

Best of luck to all those who quitting and keep it up.

largepants wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and great to see all the encouragement from all the 'been there, done that' crew.

Had my last smoke (I hope) on Monday night at around 10.30pm. I wasn't that heavy a smoker (maybe 8 a day on weekdays and could be up to 15 at weekends) but I said I'd have to give it a lash. Taking a couple of those Nitquitin lozenges a day and to be honest I finish them gross. Only take them when I'm really bad. I mistly chew a bit of gum which usually works ok.

One thing I'd like to know is whether a person who gives up smoking automatically puts on a few pounds? Or is it a case of you only put it on if you eat a bit more due to appetite returning? I need to lose a few pounds anyway so don't really want to put on any more. I am planning to start doing a bit of exercise from next week on.

Best of luck to all those who quitting and keep it up.

I lost two stone in the months following my quit :)

I used walking and apples to satiate my cravings. Stayed well away from crisps and chocolate and drank lots of water. You really don't HAVE to put on weight.

Day 2 down for me and the first challenge of work day also over with. Colleague asked me if I wanted to go for one today and felt great but strange to say 'no thanks'. I found this evening tough for some reason amd had broken sleep last night. I lasted 4 months the last time I tried so know the first few days are some of the worst. Roll on 1 week. I am dreading the first night out in a social setting with alcohol already though. That is how I cracked last time. Anyone recommend the e-sig for that or should one just stay clear of smoking areas for first few months?

Remember that no matter what people tell you, NOBODY enjoys being a smoker and EVERY smoker would love to do what you are doing and QUIT.

Being able to tell somebody "no thank you I don't smoke" is the best thing ever!! All smokers are secretly jealous of non-smokers. This "I'm only smoking 5 a-day" or "I need a cigarette to calm my nerves" is all nonsense. Cigarettes put up your heart rate and blood pressure as soon as you light one!! They calm nothing :-)

What if you put on a pound or two in the first 4-6 weeks? With your regained health put on a pair of runners and go for a good walk in stead of lighting up and maybe even a little 2 mile run to start with after a while, simple. Fruit, water etc. will all help you kill that urge to eat something.

Stick with it people, it is so worth it, it might be the hardest thing you've ever done but the rewards are tremendous.

Into day 3 now and has prob been the worst one even though I wouldn't have had a fag by this stage of the morning anyway. As per advice above I'm drinking plenty of water. Found the first two day kind of easy. I plan on going for a few pints at the weekend so that'll really test me out.Time to dig the heels in. This is one battle I ain't losing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It was approx 9:47 on Dec 31st 2011 when I stubbed out my last cigarette.
    Smoking had become something that I did not enjoy anymore, so my last excuse of being a smoker was gone. So it was time to kick.
    I've been pretty much OK since then. There have been a couple of times were I had massive urges, not for the nicotine, but because of the habit.
    Driving - I'd always light up when driving, this is the hardest routine to break.
    Work - The days are much longer. I got a massive urge for a smoke yesterday, I was in a pretty stressful situation...well perhaps I made it out to be more stressful than it was. But I managed to fight it.

My one problem now is snacking. Taste buds are coming alive again and I need something else to do. I now need to quit snacking.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It was approx 9:47 on Dec 31st 2011 when I stubbed out my last cigarette.
    Smoking had become something that I did not enjoy anymore, so my last excuse of being a smoker was gone. So it was time to kick.
    I've been pretty much OK since then. There have been a couple of times were I had massive urges, not for the nicotine, but because of the habit.
    Driving - I'd always light up when driving, this is the hardest routine to break.
    Work - The days are much longer. I got a massive urge for a smoke yesterday, I was in a pretty stressful situation...well perhaps I made it out to be more stressful than it was. But I managed to fight it.

My one problem now is snacking. Taste buds are coming alive again and I need something else to do. I now need to quit snacking.

Your doing the right thing there, keep it going. I was/am in Sales and on the road a lot with the usual stress. 40-50K miles a year and a lot of my smoking was behind the wheel or when the phone would ring I was lighting up...

Snack on healthy stuff, take a chewing gum or something to divert your mind from the craving. I played Angry Birds a lot which helped lol.

Most importantly you recognized that you do/did not enjoy smoking and that nobody really does. Keep up the good work and do not give in, you will win this battle I promise!!

yeay day five today !! so glad i stuck with it day 3 is by far the hardest ! now i feel its just about changing habits ! still having alot of oh i would kill for a smoke now moments in work but deep breaths and a drink of water and its over ! keep going everybody !! its only going to get easier ! every day without a smoke is something to be proud of !:D

Thanks Biglad for all the encouragement in your posts.

Day 3 is over and I'm still going strong thanks to this forum as it keeps my mind occupied at night when I get strong cravings!. I had LOTS of moments today where I thought I would love a smoke but just went and did other things like walking, calling everyone on my phonebook etc etc. I was even told at work today that I was less cranky than normal so mood swings are not affecting me yet! I am now noticing every smoker I pass though - its like that Ad for quitting where every smoker looks like a giant cigarette - now I get the Ad! Today was very tough but only took 2 pieces of gum and hoping to cut that out now too over next few days. Hang in there everyone. Only side effects I am seeing sofar are mouth issues but that might just be the gum.

spider77 wrote: »
    Thanks Biglad for all the encouragement in your posts.

Day 3 is over and I'm still going strong thanks to this forum as it keeps my mind occupied at night when I get strong cravings!. I had LOTS of moments today where I thought I would love a smoke but just went and did other things like walking, calling everyone on my phonebook etc etc. I was even told at work today that I was less cranky than normal so mood swings are not affecting me yet! I am now noticing every smoker I pass though - its like that Ad for quitting where every smoker looks like a giant cigarette - now I get the Ad! Today was very tough but only took 2 pieces of gum and hoping to cut that out now too over next few days. Hang in there everyone. Only side effects I am seeing sofar are mouth issues but that might just be the gum.

Keep up the good work Spider77, it will get easier as time goes on. So what if you feel like taking an extra bit of gum, at least your no longer smoking, you get sick of the gum after a while anyway. Soon you'll start feeling sorry for smokers huddling in bus shelters on a rainy old cold day lol
    Enjoy the new found freedom!!

• Advertisement

Jaysus I know what people mean by day three. Bloody nightmare. Still hanging in there though. I must ask this. Anybody suffer with stomach cramps while quitting. Had to get up in the middle of the night last night with them. Getting a few during the day as well. Is it hunger pangs? Or merely a coincidental stomach upset?Great to see others are flying at the moment.

I went through all manner of tummy upsets etc. I have a theory that it's to do with the nicotine releasing its grasp on your body.

mud wrote: »
    I went through all manner of tummy upsets etc. I have a theory that it's to do with the nicotine releasing its grasp on your body.

Thats grand so. Its most likely got to do with quitting so I'll grin and bear it.

Drink loads of water. Just keep flushing it all out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, sounds about right:
    Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms

Cravings to smoke
    Irritable, cranky
    Insomnia
    Fatigue
    Inability to Concentrate
    Headache
    Cough
    Sore throat
    Constipation, gas, stomach pain
    Dry mouth
    Sore tongue and/or gums
    Postnasal drip
    Tightness in the chest

Jaysus I know what people mean by day three. Bloody nightmare. Still hanging in there though. I must ask this. Anybody suffer with stomach cramps while quitting. Had to get up in the middle of the night last night with them. Getting a few during the day as well. Is it hunger pangs? Or merely a coincidental stomach upset?Great to see others are flying at the moment.

Yeah, I had a bad stomach on the night between Days 1 and 2, and very slightly again on the night between Days 2 and 3, that was it then. I didnt connect it with quitting cos Id been ill over xmas and just thought it was the tail end of it, but now that you mention it - yeah, maybe it was connected!! Totally grand after that though, so if it is a thing, its short lived!

Day 6 here and had a big pang this morning as I was heading off to the gym, a fishermans friend took care of it and all good since!

Day 4 nearly over. Wknd going to be hard. My skin is gone to crap now. Getting spots on face that I have not had in years. I assume it's toxins exiting. Must drink more water. The app called myquittime on the iPhone is good. Sends u messages each day and tells you how much u have saved, how many u would have smoked. It's scary seeing how many you smoke add up over time !!! Hanging in there for now.....

Like yourself spider77 I'm into day 4. Stomach is still not the best and getting a few headaches as well. Cravings ain't too bad to be honest. Its certainly not the worst part. Hoping the worst clears up over the weekend.

Must get that app for the phone too. Keep it up folks.

Yippee!!!

Made it to a week!!! Today is Day 8!!

I really feel like its a milestone reached. My next 'big' milestone (in my head anyway) is 21 days.

I am having trouble dropping off to sleep, once asleep Im grand, but I seem to be having trouble getting there.

Hope everyone else is doing good!!! Check your teeth people, mine look better than they have in years!!! Its like Ive been for a cleaning!

Sinuses still feel better too but Im disappointed to say, I havent noticed my taste any better - not yet anyway!

Fair play username. As a matter if interest why 21 days as the next target?

Into day six today. Went out for pints last night and it was very very tough. Thats another bridge crossed I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

was not a new year resolution though ! too hungover to smoke on the 1st ! stopped to think about it on the 2nd and decided i will give it ago !

Thats exactly what happened with me monkey, but its worked for me so far so I'm not gonna knock it lol

Well done username, day 8 for me too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Day 8 here too cant believe how easy it has been so far was dreading it because i was telling everyone i was giving up after new year so i had to do it found day 2 the hardest.I say i have put on half a stone already:pac:.Having trouble sleeping though keep waking up every 3 or 4 hours.

Day 8 here too cant believe how easy it has been so far was dreading it because i was telling everyone i was giving up after new year so i had to do it found day 2 the hardest.I say i have put on half a stone already:pac:.Having trouble sleeping though keep waking up every 3 or 4 hours.

Good stuff. Half a stone.:eek: Do you find yourself eating a lot more?

Fair play username. As a matter if interest why 21 days as the next target?

Into day six today. Went out for pints last night and it was very very tough. Thats another bridge crossed I hope.

Well done largepants!!! Thats a BIG bridge!!

On the 21 days, well its HIGHLY scientific :) Its supposed to be 21 days to truly break a habit and according to this timeline:
    Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

I like things happening in my brain that makes me like a non smoker :)

Well done YumDeiseMum and saywhatyousee as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Good stuff. Half a stone.:eek: Do you find yourself eating a lot more?

No it was more of a a joke i have noticed since i quit i am eating breakfast now though. Breakfast before was a cup of tea and 2 fags i usually would not of eaten till 2 or 3 hours after getting up

Day 6 down for me almost. The weekend was tough but I managed to go to the pub with another smoker who was also quitting and didn't have one even though they kept talking about 'them'. I am doing the couch to 5 K now just to take my mind off it in the evening. I find driving in the car difficult especially on the longer journey. A big pack of mints seems to do for now and ringing people on handsfree :D. I am sleeping fine and have no cough. Great to see the back of the morning choking/coughing and my car smells so much better!! Hope everyone else has a good week ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Had last one last night. ok at the minute but heading into work now and will find that tough. pockets full of gum tho!
    Anyone else doing it without nicotine patches gum etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

sarahbro wrote: »
    Had last one last night. ok at the minute but heading into work now and will find that tough. pockets full of gum tho!

Just started today, didn't really plan it but got sick of feeling trapped.

Decided to go cold turkey. Have tried gum and patches before but find that you get all the health benefits but the addiction just keeps on rolling.

In work today, I've been drinking lot of orange juice and scoffing apples and oranges the first sight of a craving as recommended by other threads here. It's strange - 1 minute I'm fine the next I'm dying for one. Definitely more than 6-7 cravings a day or whatever avg number was that I heard before! Think i'm getting 6-7 an hour!

3 more hours of work then home time and a new test begins, will get out for a walk this evening to try and distract myself...

sarahbro wrote: »

Well done and yes, day 9 here, cold turkey.
    JDefinitely more than 6-7 cravings a day or whatever avg number was that I heard before! Think i'm getting 6-7 an hour!

On days 2 and 3 for me it was more like the entire day was one giant crave, my mind was just obsessing on cigarettes the whole time. But like anything else your brain gets tired and bored of thinking of the same thing all the time so it finally shut up and moved on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

On days 2 and 3 for me it was more like the entire day was one giant crave,

It's been a bit like that for me today, I've seen lots of comments though that day 2 + 3 are the worst so I'm expecting a challenge.

Can I ask, what did you do to fight the cravings on day 2 + 3?

Advertisement