Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi all (and thanks Anna),

Am resisting, but finding it very difficult. I don't understand why it has come back with a vengeance all of a sudden:confused:

Will hit 100 days tomorrow and will take each day as it comes!

Thanks a million Anna for the really good advice (and encouragement). Hope you are feeling strong over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

First day here so far so good, wearing a nicorette invisi extra strength patch 25mg, first time even trying to quit only smoking about 4 years since i was 16 nearly 21 now, this shouldnt be too hard i have the willpower im motivated, hopefully i can post back in 7 days and say ive went a full week without em;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

First day here so far so good, wearing a nicorette invisi extra strength patch 25mg, first time even trying to quit only smoking about 4 years since i was 16 nearly 21 now, this shouldnt be too hard i have the willpower im motivated, hopefully i can post back in 7 days and say ive went a full week without em;)
    Well done for making the decision while you are still young. You can do this. The Allen Carr book might help you if you start to feel 'deprived'. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

susanweir wrote: »
    Hi all (and thanks Anna),

Am resisting, but finding it very difficult. I don't understand why it has come back with a vengeance all of a sudden:confused:

Will hit 100 days tomorrow and will take each day as it comes!

Thanks a million Anna for the really good advice (and encouragement). Hope you are feeling strong over the weekend.
    Hi Susan
    I hope you got through the weekend ok. Onwards and upwards. Just remember how awful it would be to smoke now...

Hi there and welcome.

You are doing the right thing, and you must be a very sensible 20-year old. I started when I was 16 and it took me 30 years to stop.:mad:

All the best, and we are here for support!

• Advertisement

annascott wrote: »
    Hi Susan
    I hope you got through the weekend ok. Onwards and upwards. Just remember how awful it would be to smoke now...
    Hi Anna,

Thanks for your good wishes.....hope you are doing okay.

Am fine now, but went through a rocky patch for a few days and just wanted to throw in the towel. I have no idea why, as I have had no nicotine in my system for 3 months!

The lesson is simple - be on your guard!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

Coming up to 5 months off the fags now. When I say off them, I've had a couple here or there(only with a drink), but 99% smoke free now.

If anyone out there is really struggling with cravings, I highly recommend the electronic cigarette. Gets me through days where I really want a smoke. Another thing that helped me was using a nicorette patch at night.

I never thought I'd cut down never mind give up, so I know anyone out there who thinks they can't do it, you'll never know until you try.

It's funny, people talk about cravings so long after giving up. It's not only a drug addiction, it's a psychological addiction. Your brain loves smokes and will never let you forget it:D I know mine won't let me forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

Breaking addictions are some of the hardest things anyone can do. My best friend and I gave up smoking together at the same time so we had the support to keep with it. We actually ended up going to the gym almost each day and we are now healthier than ever. No smoking, more exercise and eating lots of fruit and veg. The feeling is amazing and I will never go back to my old unhealthy ways.

Best of luck to everyone trying to give up! You can do it and you won't believe how good it feels in the future! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

Been off the fags 1 month yesterday. So please with myself i cannot believe it. Best off luck with everyone who has quit, or is thinking about quitting. You definatly can do it.

And another thing if you relapse, who cares, obviously i wasn't the right time for you. Don't bet yourself up, just give it another bash.

It also helps if you have a goal/acheivement you want to work towards, it makes you more determined. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Dalan wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back with another really inspiring post & it was great to know you're doing so well. It really sounds like you've tamed the beast for good this time - your will power is actually really strong! And you've got a lot of understanding about what you personally need to do and why. I plan to stick in there with you for the full duration - 54 days quit tomorrow, why go back now? :)

Dalan & Comrades

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dalan but .....,

Back to Bedlam after a major relapse. No excuses . Just the usual triggers that led to past failures . My sister whom I saw last Sept at her husbands funeral abroad was coming home. This was her first visit home to her family and she was coming to the family home where I live. She is a heavy smoker and we were the only two smokers in our family. I was tensed up and worried about her visit - wondering how would it go for her , and would I say the right things as it was a very emotional time for her and we were very close. I even stretched out my Champex to make them last over her visit.
    A week before her visit23/04/2011 it happened :mad:
    The brainwashing kicked in telling me that somehow a cigarette would help me cope better .We would have a few fags as we always did. The fact that other family members who would meet her would face the same challenges as non smokerss never even entered my head.

Well, - I took my first puff alone after 113 days of being smokefree. and continued to smoke during and after her visit. Did it help relieve the situation ?-.No only in my mind , The brainwashing convinced me that it was easier to talk to her and because I beleived it I probably felt more relaxed as we puffed away. She was still in the throws of grief and puffing cigarettes into each others faces did nothing to solve that. It was comfort, love and support from her family that would help in the longterm not puffing that filth and both of us reminissing about how we hated smoking and what they were doing to us.

I am now anxious to get back on track,. and wishing that I hadn't once again given in to myI old triggers, nervousness, tense situations and lack of confidence. I am fully responsible for my actions in smoking again- it was I who made the decison the situation was only the trigger. Within days I knew I wanted to stop again but needed time to get motivated and pick myself up . I am not going to beat myself up over this but am going to take up where I left off on 22nd April smokefree.

I Can't bear to go back to day 1 again so I am going to set myself a target of 15 days . When I achieve that I will blitz the 15 days I smoked from my mind and continue as if I had started from Jan 1st. This will increase my confidence and inspire me to go. If on 31st Dec I am still smokefree I will be a long way from those 15 days of nictotine .

There can be no more relapses between now andy Dec 31st I had a narrow escape this time and the next time it maybe years to get the courage to start again. Smoking is not an option for me . My health has greatly improved and I have had very good results from consultants for my throat, stomach and oesteoporis conditions. and my medication for these conditons has been in some cases stopped and in others greatly reduced . I will have to have to beat the psycholgical cravings but my health is my primary reason for staying a non smoker. The site , and your postings will give me the support to continue.
    So May the 2nd and a few champex left over to kick start me into action. Have about six left and after that its cold turkey for me.
    Glad ye are all doing so well but stay alert and never get complacent. I should have posted my self doubts on the site before this I realise that was a big mistake instead of battling alone.

Will check in tomorrow night to let you know that I am still smokefree.

Thanks icon10.gif

• Advertisement

Dalan wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back with another really inspiring post & it was great to know you're doing so well. It really sounds like you've tamed the beast for good this time - your will power is actually really strong! And you've got a lot of understanding about what you personally need to do and why. I plan to stick in there with you for the full duration - 54 days quit tomorrow, why go back now? :)

Dalan & Comrades

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dalan but .....,

Back to Bedlam after a major relapse. No excuses . Just the usual triggers that led to past failures . My sister whom I saw last Sept at her husbands funeral abroad was coming home. This was her first visit home to her family and she was coming to the family home where I live. She is a heavy smoker and we were the only two smokers in our family. I was tensed up and worried about her visit - wondering how would it go for her , and would I say the right things as it was a very emotional time for her and we were very close. I even stretched out my Champex to make them last over her visit.
    A week before her visit23/04/2011 it happened :mad:
    The brainwashing kicked in telling me that somehow a cigarette would help me cope better .We would have a few fags as we always did. The fact that other family members who would meet her would face the same challenges as non smokerss never even entered my head.

Well, - I took my first puff alone after 113 days of being smokefree. and continued to smoke during and after her visit. Did it help relieve the situation ?-.No only in my mind , The brainwashing convinced me that it was easier to talk to her and because I beleived it I probably felt more relaxed as we puffed away. She was still in the throws of grief and puffing cigarettes into each others faces did nothing to solve that. It was comfort, love and support from her family that would help in the longterm not puffing that filth and both of us reminissing about how we hated smoking and what they were doing to us.

I am now anxious to get back on track,. and wishing that I hadn't once again given in to myI old triggers, nervousness, tense situations and lack of confidence. I am fully responsible for my actions in smoking again- it was I who made the decison the situation was only the trigger. Within days I knew I wanted to stop again but needed time to get motivated and pick myself up . I am not going to beat myself up over this but am going to take up where I left off on 22nd April smokefree.

I Can't bear to go back to day 1 again so I am going to set myself a target of 15 days . When I achieve that I will blitz the 15 days I smoked from my mind and continue as if I had started from Jan 1st. This will increase my confidence and inspire me to go. If on 31st Dec I am still smokefree I will be a long way from those 15 days of nictotine .

There can be no more relapses between now andy Dec 31st I had a narrow escape this time and the next time it maybe years to get the courage to start again. Smoking is not an option for me . My health has greatly improved and I have had very good results from consultants for my throat, stomach and oesteoporis conditions. and my medication for these conditons has been in some cases stopped and in others greatly reduced . I will have to have to beat the psycholgical cravings but my health is my primary reason for staying a non smoker. The site , and your postings will give me the support to continue.
    So May the 2nd and a few champex left over to kick start me into action. Have about six left and after that its cold turkey for me.
    Glad ye are all doing so well but stay alert and never get complacent. I should have posted my self doubts on the site before this I realise that was a big mistake instead of battling alone.

Will check in tomorrow night to let you know that I am still smokefree.

Thanks icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I salute your honesty and the fact that you know yourself so well. I am stilly trying to get myself to start the process - it is constantly on my mind but I am so very very weak. I am actually praying for the strength at the moment.
    I wish you every possible success and, having read what you've written, I think you will achieve your goal - good luck:)

Thanks for your support Shazanne . Well didn't smoke today and felt as determined as I did not Jan 1st not to fall back into the smoking pit again. I am putting the lapse in the past and moving on but its not going to be plain sailing as my confidence and self belief took a bit of a bashing from the relapse .

When lapsed on April 23rd I knew in my heart and soul that I could not continue smoking and I was already feeling the physical effects of them once more. I knew I had to get back on track and going back to the site was the only option for me. Here there are no excuses, only blatent honesty where as ex smokers speak of the highs and lows as they struggle to beat their addiction to nictotine.

Shazanne go for it don't wait for the courage to try. There is no shame if you don't suceed first time. I have tried so many times in the past and I am determined to keep trying until I succeed - because I know I do not want to/ nor can I stay smoking for the rest of my life.

So look closely at why you want to quit , pick a day , choose your option cold turkey , or quit smoking aids, and off you go. Better to be started than hanging around wondering when you will get the courage to stop .

Take care and thanks again

icon12.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Still off the fags!

Now if only I could give up eating shiite!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Still off the fags!

Do u put it in a sandwich or just eat it from the bowl? ;)

Im forgetting how long its been since i stopped. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

day 21 yay and well over 100 k cycled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tigger25

It's very inspiring to read the positive remarks. My chest is screwed yet i continue to smoke.. it's depressing.. but i know it's possible, isn't it? Were all you non-smokers heavy smokers before you quit? Not that it makes a huge difference how much you used to smoke, a smoker is a smoker. Fair play to you all anyway.. i envy your strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

tigger25 wrote: »
    It's very inspiring to read the positive remarks. My chest is screwed yet i continue to smoke.. it's depressing.. but i know it's possible, isn't it? Were all you non-smokers heavy smokers before you quit? Not that it makes a huge difference how much you used to smoke, a smoker is a smoker. Fair play to you all anyway.. i envy your strength.

I smoked from the moment i got up to last thing at night. 20 a day and twice that when i drank.
    You have to WANT to give up. Thats the first thing. And i mean really want it. After that the route u chose is up to u.
    I became a non smoker bout 40 days ago (must check actually) , Got a bike on the cycle to work scheme and am now cycling about 20-40 k a day instead :D
    All I can say is I wish Id done it sooner. Oh and my chest was bad. At 29 I was wheezy and my breathing sounding laboured. That has got much better. Hard at first but seriously its so so worth it.

Im' still hanging in there Shazanne but finding it tougher to be as strong as I was when I gave them up on Jan 1st. Have used up the rest of my champex so its cold turkey for me now.

I was off them 15 months until 2009 on cold turkey and only lasted 4 months on my most recent attempt this year with the Champex . So its clear that quitting is not my biggest problem - its finding the commitment and determination to quit for good is my failing . I don't want to continue to smoke and any perceived pleasure is shortl lived for me. I feel so disgusted with myself and my self esteem takes a bashing, ,Yet I continue to relapse and the triggers are always the same. Anyway I am glad I am back on track and everyday that I am smokefree is a good day for me so I am taking it one day at a time.

Well done to all the non smokers - keep it going as you keep me going.
    Thanks Shazanne for your support and looking forward to your posts as a non smoker soon.

Hi Tigger,

I'm off them 4 months. Was a fairly heavy smoker (20-25) a day since I was 16. (That's 30 years! OMG). I took Champix for a month and stayed off them since. Was very hard in the beginning. My husband smokes, and I had to just decide to do it without him. So far so good, and it has got a lot easier.

You have nothing to lose by giving it a go!;)

• Advertisement

Hello Shinshin,

I think you are being really hard on yourself. Your achievement, of staying off the fags since january, is massive. Not only that, but you have started the journey again straight away. If that were me, I would probably have said to myself "aw sure I'll smoke for a few months and try again later".

Instead of feeling bad about it, I think you should think of yourself as a role model for us all. All the best with your quit.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 acwxx

Still off the fags!

Ha ha me too! This is my fifth month and I am very proud of myself. I've got through everything without resorting to smoking again. The downside is that I have put on about two stone in weight. I don't really seem to have got over the hand-to-mouth need and find myself eating crisps and pretzels etc even when I'm not at all hungry. At weekends I'm worse, drinking bottles of beer. Allen C.arr worked for me for smoking and I have ordered his book for weight loss to see if I can apply the same logic to stop me eating lots of rubbish that I don't actuall want or need. It should be here by Friday, will let you know how I get on.

Definitely don't want to start smoking again though!
    AS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Been off the smokes since Good Friday.. Going ok so far, although i cracked once or twice when out drinking and bummed a smoke off a mate... regretted it the next day though...

28 years. I always had at least two packets of cigs with me in case I ran out (not every shop sold my brand) I didn't go to visit people who didn't smoke and stopped going out because of the smoking ban. In the summer, I would only meet friends at the Radisson because they had tables outside. I couldn't enjoy the cinema and I wouldn't travel more than two hours on an aeroplane (and felt deprived all the time I was on one) I went through most of the working day in the office not smoking but would chain smoke in the evenings and at weekends. I would have smoked between 20-30 a day. More if I was drinking at weekends. I remember the horror of gagging at the thought of smoking on a hangover morning, but needing to light up anyway and having tears in my eyes as I smoked and burned my chest when suffering from colds etc. If I have given up, anyone can. This is my fifth month. I started a day at a time, marking days off the calendar at work. I stopped doing this at the beginning of March because I considered myself a non smoker and didn't need to count any more. I know it is cliché but you have to really want to if you are going to be successful.
    AS

susanweir wrote: »
    Hello Shinshin,

I think you are being really hard on yourself. Your achievement, of staying off the fags since january, is massive. Not only that, but you have started the journey again straight away. If that were me, I would probably have said to myself "aw sure I'll smoke for a few months and try again later".

Instead of feeling bad about it, I think you should think of yourself as a role model for us all. All the best with your quit.:)

Role model ? One thing that ye should all take from my efforts is never give in to the brainwashing that I fell for once again on April 23rd . Overnight when I took the first cigarettes my mindset changed from that of a non smoker and leading a healthy lifestyle - to that of a smoker and far from removing the panic and anxiety it increased ten fold. Despite knowing all this I'm struggling on a daily basis.

Thanks all for your support - you are really doing great. Keep it up . It keeps me motivated

Looking forward to the weekend when I can go to the gymn and go for a jog to take the self doubt and anxiety out of my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi everyone 0/

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring here instead of starting my own thread.

I'm a 31 y/o woman (almost 32) and am on day 3 of giving up. I quit in July of last year for a few months but it wasn't really quitting as I continued to smoke other (ahem) substances so to speak. This led me back to smoking ciggies again.

This time I am off absolutely everything and it feels great.

I was in hospital recently with major headaches and it gave me time to take stock of my life and habits and I realised that I had to take control of my life and stop the stupid stuff ie smoking.

I hadn't smoked in a week while in hospital and thought that that would be my starting point, alas, as I began to come back to myself I started to want to smoke so I did for around a week.

Then I just stopped, threw the rest of the box I had into the fire and now hope to be a lot healthier for it.

The cravings aren't too bad yet, for me it's the habit more than the nicotine, although I will be on my guard today as day 3 is when the nicotine want spikes, then it's all systems go until I reach the 28 day mark which hopefully will mean that the habit is well and truly gone.

I went for a reflexology session yesterday and found it absolutely amazing. Definitely booking a course of sessions which although a bit pricey, will be paid for out of my 'not smoking' jar.

In saying that, I have duty-free fags in the press but that makes me feel even more empowered, they are there and I won't smoke them. When the month is up I'm probably going to sell them on and use the money to buy myself something nice.

Best of luck to everyone on thread, I'll be back I'm sure because it stands to reason that there will be times when the going gets tough and I will need to rant and rave :)

All the best.

Hi Mud

Welcome and well done for making such a positive decision. We are all at various stages. I found this forum really helpful in the beginning. I pop in less now as it is getting easier. I am almost at the end of my fifth month. I would be slightly concerned about your stash of duty free though. Perhaps you could give them to a friend to keep for you until you get around to selling them. Just incase it gets difficult. Take one day at a time and check in here often for support..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭burrentech

Want to say well done, and you can do it. It only gets better the longer you keep off them.

My story? Tried a few times to quit, but always went back again :(

Last time, was summer when I got a real bad hay fever, finished the packet, but never bought another. That was 22 years ago! :)

Keep at it, if you want to quit you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Yep over a week off them now and absolutely no problems so far. Those duty-free cigs may as well not be there for all the thoughts I've given them :)

It's so true, if you want to give up you can, you simply . . . don't smoke.

Best of luck to everyone reading and thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi all. I quit two days ago. Pack a day for 12 years. I was okay until i drove this evening and had to sit in traffic. It was torture! I think tomorrow may be bad...but I don't want another smoke.

Thanks for your stories and insight, it helped me a lot this evening.

Advertisement