Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well I tried it out, and I must say it did work very well, not sure it actually get's to the 420°C that is claimed in the booklet but the base stone did get hot enough to make the dough pop well. Its due another go and I will have my IR non contact thermometer ready to see what kind of temps it will get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Any way of checking which Aldi stores still have the pizza oven in stock? Called into my local one where it's sold out.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jenfiction

Any way of checking which Aldi stores still have the pizza oven in stock? Called into my local one where it's sold out.:(

If you DM them on Twitter, they can tell you the stock level for a particular store. I got one in Celbridge today and there were a few left!

There's some in Blessington, if that's anywhere near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Homebase had a lookalike one for < €100 back in March 2017 - "La Hacienda Louisiana Charcoal BBQ & Pizza Oven"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Well I tried it out, and I must say it did work very well, not sure it actually get's to the 420°C that is claimed in the booklet but the base stone did get hot enough to make the dough pop well. Its due another go and I will have my IR non contact thermometer ready to see what kind of temps it will get to.

I normally throw my pizza stone into the normal indoor oven on its hottest setting for 30 mins before putting it into the outdoor pizza oven. Works great and gives a perfect base. I do however cheat and parbake my dough bases before doing the pizza, just to stop it sticking to the peel. Its always unreal though!!

jenfiction wrote: »
    If you DM them on Twitter, they can tell you the stock level for a particular store. I got one in Celbridge today and there were a few left!

Got my hands on one! Any tips for a first timer? Have the dough made since last night so dying to give it a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Have mine a few weeks now, and it's fantastic.
    The dough recipe I'm using is https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough and is really good. I use my panasonic breadmaker to make it and just have to stretch or roll the dough myself so couldn't be any easier.
    The one thing I do struggle with is the paddle, the paddles provided are just too small.
    I could really do with one that can carry the full size pizza, any recommendations?
    For flour I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010VAZDAA

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

Any thoughts about pizza in Italy? I tried few times and honestly, I didn't like it. Probably I didn't pick a good pizza restaurant and I tried 3 times : )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

dos30 wrote: »
    Have mine a few weeks now, and it's fantastic.
    The dough recipe I'm using is https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough and is really good. I use my panasonic breadmaker to make it and just have to stretch or roll the dough myself so couldn't be any easier.
    The one thing I do struggle with is the paddle, the paddles provided are just too small.
    I could really do with one that can carry the full size pizza, any recommendations?
    For flour I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010VAZDAA
    I use a thin baking tray to assemble the pizza on, a very small amount of flour under the pizza to allow it to slide off and regular checks that the pizza actually will move and hasn't stuck to the tray.
    A proper paddle would be best but I can live with a baking tray.
    The trick is to assemble really fast not let the heavy ingredients push the dough onto the paddle and allow it to stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

Any recommendations for fuel for the aldi pizza oven and how to keep the temp up. Planning a garden party next week if weather is ok and would be looking to make a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Had the uuni on in today's good weather. Makes excellent neapolitan pizza once you get the dough right!

Had the uuni on in today's good weather. Makes excellent neapolitan pizza once you get the dough right!

Could you share a recipe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

mpeter92 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for fuel for the aldi pizza oven and how to keep the temp up. Planning a garden party next week if weather is ok and would be looking to make a few.

We used ours on Saturday for the first time using charcoal. We used 2kg bags and found that after about 20 minutes the flames had settled and the temps were stable at over 300C and remained so for a good half hour. Then temps started to drop slowly and we needed another bag to get them back up again (waiting again for the flames to die down).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

mpeter92 wrote: »
    If you can use charcoal then Id recommend the Diall lumpwood stuff in B&Q. I got a bag of it on Friday (after using weber lumpwood for ages) and I couldn't get over how hot and how long it lasts. Last night I lit a chimney of it at 4.30pm and at 7.30pm it was still at over 500 degrees F. The Weber would be all burnt out by 6pm.

The Weber stuff is definitely better quality in relation to the size of chunks as there is a lot more dust and smaller chunks in the Diall but im very impressed with the heat generation and longevity of it. And the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

Any tips for getting the pizza off the paddle? Mine seems to stick no matter what I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Any tips for getting the pizza off the paddle? Mine seems to stick no matter what I do!

Sprinkle semolina on the paddle before you put the base on it. It won't stick then.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

just read teh thread, tempted by one of the ferrari's!

have also noticed local lidl\aldi [mulingar] have 5 of the outdoor ovens for a month or two, discount imenent on the 150yoyos they are looking for them.

still have seen the pics the ferrari and it looks like less messing around especially with irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Simona1986 wrote: »
    We used ours on Saturday for the first time using charcoal. We used 2kg bags and found that after about 20 minutes the flames had settled and the temps were stable at over 300C and remained so for a good half hour. Then temps started to drop slowly and we needed another bag to get them back up again (waiting again for the flames to die down).

I bought one of the aldi ovens also, and I was very excited to give it a go. The temperatures soared quickly with wood and I thought great, but the stone was obviously too hot, and burnt the arse out of the pizza. Then when the flames died down the temperatures plunged. I had a similar experience the second time. I'm planning to give charcoal a try, but I'd be interested in tips from others who have had success. Some questions that spring to mind:
    • Which is a better fuel to establish a sustained ideal temperature, wood or charcoal?
    • Should the stone be in the oven when the fire is lighting? I found mine was too hot when flames had been roaring underneath it first time around. Second time I heated it in the kitchen oven and transferred, but that kindof defeats the purpose
    • If using charcoal, would it make sense to use one of those charcoal chimney things I see people using these days for starting bbq's?
    • Any other tips on getting the best results from the aldi pizza oven?

RonnieL wrote: »
    I bought one of the aldi ovens also, and I was very excited to give it a go. The temperatures soared quickly with wood and I thought great, but the stone was obviously too hot, and burnt the arse out of the pizza. Then when the flames died down the temperatures plunged. I had a similar experience the second time. I'm planning to give charcoal a try, but I'd be interested in tips from others who have had success. Some questions that spring to mind:
    • Which is a better fuel to establish a sustained ideal temperature, wood or charcoal?
    • Should the stone be in the oven when the fire is lighting? I found mine was too hot when flames had been roaring underneath it first time around. Second time I heated it in the kitchen oven and transferred, but that kindof defeats the purpose
    • If using charcoal, would it make sense to use one of those charcoal chimney things I see people using these days for starting bbq's?
    • Any other tips on getting the best results from the aldi pizza oven?

I have one of these too. I use oak logs all the time. I put a second pizza stone on top of the one that comes with it and that stops the base from burning.

I had an old one that had cracked in half so I just used that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

If anyone’s interested. I’m selling my pizza cooker.

<Mod snip>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: OU812, you can't sell it here. Try Adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Heres one for you - we're renovating the house and what was the living room is now going to be the kitchen. Theres a small fireplace there with a chimney.

Would it be possible to convert this to a pizza oven? Reading some comments, maybe it won't be able to get hot enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi "pizza oven" €50 - goes on top of BBQ, thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Heres one for you - we're renovating the house and what was the living room is now going to be the kitchen. Theres a small fireplace there with a chimney.

Would it be possible to convert this to a pizza oven? Reading some comments, maybe it won't be able to get hot enough?

That's an interesting one I'd say it might be possible but space wise it would depend. Would cost i'd say, would most likely have to dismantle part of the chimney stack which is supporting the house might be more cost than its worth then there is finding someone that would be skilled enough to do it, there mightn't be that many people able to undertake it.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fb1%2F3a%2F56%2Fb13a56ba59e580dc34ea2975fca1e7a1.jpg&f=1

Have you got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Bought a wood fired Pizza oven from Aldi on Saturday, teh 3 in 1 that can be used as a smoker or BBQ. I haven't used it yet but some of the tips here are helpful like not putting pizza directly on the stone because its charring too much.

I've also noted the woods that are best for burning, solids like oak or beech etc. Can anyone recommend where to buy solid oak logs ? or any solid timber that will work well in this oven ?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Carra23 wrote: »
    Bought a wood fired Pizza oven from Aldi on Saturday, teh 3 in 1 that can be used as a smoker or BBQ. I haven't used it yet but some of the tips here are helpful like not putting pizza directly on the stone because its charring too much.

I've also noted the woods that are best for burning, solids like oak or beech etc. Can anyone recommend where to buy solid oak logs ? or any solid timber that will work well in this oven ?

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Since my post above I've tried a couple more times but I've come to the conclusion the Aldi pizza ovens are just not worth the hassle. The design is flawed with the lack of insulation, and the heat source below the pizza stone causing it to overheat.

Regarding the wood source, it depends where you live. Regardless, I think you might be best going with a combination of charcoal and wood - medium size pieces ideally because too small and they burn too fast, too big and it'll be harder to control (and slower to heat up).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

RonnieL wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Since my post above I've tried a couple more times but I've come to the conclusion the Aldi pizza ovens are just not worth the hassle. The design is flawed with the lack of insulation, and the heat source below the pizza stone causing it to overheat.

Regarding the wood source, it depends where you live. Regardless, I think you might be best going with a combination of charcoal and wood - medium size pieces ideally because too small and they burn too fast, too big and it'll be harder to control (and slower to heat up).

It seems to be getting mixed reviews but it's not a real pizza oven in fairness. I will give be using it on Sunday so happy to report back. I think the beauty of it is it it's no good as a pizza oven I can use it as a bbq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

The insulation of the oven is bad quite bad. I was looking at videos of homemade pizza ovens and they use insulation material that wraps around the oven that they secure with wire.
    I was wondering would it possible to add insulation to the aldi oven?

Advertisement