Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in Phoenix Park Tunnel Services

Options
  • 10-11-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

I heard a couple of months ago that Irish Rail will be increasing the services through the Phoenix Park Tunnel during weekdays and extending them to the weekend too.

Would be so handy for the weekend.

Any news on this recently ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Strike??

No progress as the drivers have throwing their toys out of the pram and trying to use expansion of services as a wedge for more money even though the agreements in place say they cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

It depends on when the renevation of the 2700 is complete . That wont be happening until 2018 at the earliest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

thomasj wrote: »
    It depends on when the renevation of the 2700 is complete . That wont be happening until 2018 at the earliest

Off-peak services don't need the 2700s back; there is plenty of stock available - but probably no drivers.

Additional peak services will need the 2700s - and there'll be demand from every service for them at that. Maynooth line desperately needs more peak services (I'd suggest to Docklands not Connolly based on the numbers transferring at Clonsilla,
    taking the Luas or simply walking that direction).

More DMU stock needs to be ordered urgently - the 2600s are over 20 years old; the 2700s will only meet existing demand - or Maynooth line electrification needs to be in the upcoming capital plan and actually start in 2018 with an EMU order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

December 2018........if driver training is sorted most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They should prioritise electrification and emus over more DMUs. Would mean theyre not reliant solely on diesil for day to day running.

Should also consider a new dart depot around M3 while theyre at it plenty of space there for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Infini wrote:
    They should prioritise electrification and emus over more DMUs. Would mean theyre not reliant solely on diesil for day to day running.

Infini wrote:
    Should also consider a new dart depot around M3 while theyre at it plenty of space there for one.

Wasn't the original plan to have a DART depot around near broombridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Infini wrote: »
    They should prioritise electrification and emus over more DMUs. Would mean they're not reliant solely on diesel for day to day running.

Should also consider a new DART depot around M3 while they're at it plenty of space there for one.
    Electrification infrastructure is a large expense. There is a reason for dieselisation versus electrification. Also means dependence on that infrastructure for motive power, and no service when the power goes out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering what we generate our electrical base load from, reliance on diesel isn't an issue - emissions at breathing level and the superior performance + regenerative braking of electrics is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

pad199207 wrote: »
    I heard a couple of months ago that Irish Rail will be increasing the services through the Phoenix Park Tunnel during weekdays and extending them to the weekend too.

Would be so handy for the weekend.

Any news on this recently ?

That was the medium term plan when initially launched, however it is not going to be in this years timetable change (which itself is possibly on hold).

Looks like the all day service isn't too far away.

https://lovindublin.com/news/ten-minute-darts--introduced-later-this-year
    Minister Ross also announced the rail link from Kildare to the city centre via the Phoenix Park rail tunnel will be expanded to an all day service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I live on the DART line and get the train to Limerick every so often. Could we eventually see a possible connection between PPT and the intercity services? I know most Cork/Limerick services don't stop at Newbridge etc.

I live on the DART line and get the train to Limerick every so often. Could we eventually see a possible connection between PPT and the intercity services? I know most Cork/Limerick services don't stop at Newbridge etc.

Anything is possible (the original PPT idea was to operate to/from Kildare to connect with IC services), but nothing has been decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

GM228 wrote: »
    Anything is possible (the original PPT idea was to operate to/from Kildare to connect with IC services), but nothing has been decided yet.
    Isn't there supposed to be a new Heuston West station as part of the Dart extension project, does that mean you could change to IC from there? Or is Heuston West going to be closer to Inchicore or someting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Received a flyer recently from local TD stating that there will be a new timetable from 10th December, which will include more offpeak services through the tunnel. (Wife commutes Sallins - Connolly so it would be very ha st to have additional choices)

Would anyone have any details of the new timetable? Is it published anywhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There's a preview timetable up on the site. Has an hourly service offpeak each way up to like 23.20 or something.

There's a preview timetable up on the site. Has an hourly service offpeak each way up to like 23.20 or something.

Am I right in saying the new services are just to Hazelhatch? Doesn’t seem to be any extra trains that run offpeak to Sallins.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the new services are just to Hazelhatch? Doesn’t seem to be any extra trains that run offpeak to Sallins.

Just Hazelhatch

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just Hazelhatch

But the PPT services connect at Hazelhatch with pre exsiting services from Heuston to Portaloaise that serve Sallins etc.

Just checked the connection times. Range from 5-25 mins.

I commute to Hazelhatch every day. The connection works well and is becoming really popular.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/portlaoisegcd_ewd.pdf

tubbs26 wrote: »
    But the PPT services connect at Hazelhatch with pre exsiting services from Heuston to Portaloaise that serve Sallins etc.

I commute to Hazelhatch every day. The connection works well and is becoming really popular.

Given how busy Sallins has become, I really thought they would extend more services directly to it. It must be the busiest stop on the routes at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Hazelhatch was planned as the outer terminus point. It has a turnback platform.

You can't serve Sallins without going to Newbridge, so that requires more complex timetabling and extra trains.

• Advertisement

Hazelhatch was planned as the outer terminus point. It has a turnback platform.

You can't serve Sallins without going to Newbridge, so that requires more complex timetabling and extra trains.

That I did not realize. Thanks for the clarification.

tubbs26 wrote: »

Yeah it works well in the evening because its not 20 minutes usually. They could operate to Newbridge if they really wanted two or at least every two hours. The unit operating the service has 15 minutes turnaround in Hazelhatch and around 1 hours in GCD. You could run to Newbridge and back and have a good 45 minute turnaround between both terminuses.

I suspect they will announce some form of shortening of connection times in the next week because if they don't its clear public consultation is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Yeah it works well in the evening because its not 20 minutes usually. They could operate to Newbridge if they really wanted two or at least every two hours. The unit operating the service has 15 minutes turnaround in Hazelhatch and around 1 hours in GCD. You could run to Newbridge and back and have a good 45 minute turnaround between both terminuses.

I suspect they will announce some form of shortening of connection times in the next week because if they don't its clear public consultation is worthless.

Yeah connection times should be no more than 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I prefer to take a direct train from Tara St to Newbridge but the last one is 6:22pm and I sometimes work later. To be fair, getting the Hazelhatch one and getting off at Park West and waiting for the Portlaoise train isn't a major issue. Beats having to go to Heuston which is a pain in the evenings. However it's still quite a slow service - frequent pauses between Drumcondra and Connolly and occasionally late departures from Newbridge.
    On a Friday, I usually take the "red eye express" from Newbridge at 6:05am which goes non-stop to Heuston and I can be at my desk at around 6:50am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i work in park west and if not cycling use dart and train changing in pearse. lovely little route, nice trains and going against the "traffic", carriages never get beyond 50% full. Used to be frustrated how slow it was but enjoy it now, bring a coffee, load up a vid or podcast and relax. More frequency the better. its a little unnerving that the "last train" in the morning is a quarter past eight or so

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

First day of extra services and one train was terminated at Heuston for "operational reasons"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

First day of extra services and one train was terminated at Heuston for "operational reasons"...

When?

It would of course be worthy of note if it ran from GCD and terminated at Heuston!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When?

It would of course be worthy of note if it ran from GCD and terminated at Heuston!

if I remember it was a ~7am going into town

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

7.27am Sallins - GCD yesterday never showed up....

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »
    7.27am Sallins - GCD yesterday never showed up....

Fault problems, not suprised was on it the set involved Sunday and could tell it was going to cause problems very soon!

The service I was refering was an off peak service terminating at Heuston yesterday on its first day.

Advertisement