Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

With a couple of simple tweaks and cutbacks, RTE could be back in profit. Every company has to do this. Try to balance the books and live within their means.
    But RTE prefer to go for the easy route, ask for a licence fee increase which will unquestionably be used to fund higher wages, more nepotism and poor decisions.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah right.

He was universally lampooned when he was picking up nearly a million euro off RTE, once he left he suddenly because Irelands best journalist.

He was overpaid, I don't argue with that.

The point is he is a far better broadcaster than Duffy, no-one can seriously argue with that. Duffy is paid far in excess of his talents as a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

With a couple of simple tweaks and cutbacks, RTE could be back in profit. Every company has to do this. Try to balance the books and live within their means.
    But RTE prefer to go for the easy route, ask for a licence fee increase which will unquestionably be used to fund higher wages, more nepotism and poor decisions.

This is the problem they don't seem to want to do any tweeks or cut backs. It seems that they've decided that its completely up to the government.

In terms of the personalities there was/is no reason to let them move on. Even if Pat got more than he did from RTÉ going to Newstalk, his departure really didn't cause RTÉ any problems (2FM problems existed before this).

RTÉ had no cause to head hunt D'Arcy, they could have reduced their top ten starts by an extra 200,000 had they not done so, and as I have said any gain he made for RTÉ Radio was completely over shadowed by his losses at RTÉ TV.

And not to repeat what I have said before :-

1. RTÉ now pay out ~5m to 2fm from the licence fee, when before it got nothing
    2. RTÉ now pay out ~5m to Corp HQ from the licence fee rather than examining how they can bring those costs down, when before it got nothing
    3. RTÉ ringfenced funding to Imported Programming when they cut all other funding (spending on average 23m per year)

Had they considered cuts in the above areas they may well have brokeneven, but personally I'd have been happy if they'd put that money into Children's and Drama productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was overpaid, I don't argue with that.

The point is he is a far better broadcaster than Duffy, no-one can seriously argue with that. Duffy is paid far in excess of his talents as a broadcaster.

Say what you want about PK, but he is in a different league to JD.

Pat is really intelligent. He knows his politics, can hold complex debates with high powered people.

JD is only good at chatting nonsense to old folk on his radio show and asking very average questions. He would be severely out of his depth if he had to hold a topical debate on a serious issue such as Brexit, economics, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One thing JD is good at is if there is a whiff of a death or serious illness he won't let it go even if the other person doesn't want to talk about it

In fact even if there is no mention he delves deeper about the callers health

Gutter drenching sensationalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

fritzelly wrote: »
    One thing JD is good at is if there is a whiff of a death or serious illness he won't let it go even if the other person doesn't want to talk about it

What a load of bollocks

You don't ring up Liveline if you don't want to talk about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

NIMAN wrote: »
    Say what you want about PK, but he is in a different league to JD.

:confused:

They are completely different types of shows, neither could do what the other do.

:confused:

They are completely different types of shows, neither could do what the other do.

They were being compared .... hence why I commented.

My point also highlighted that PK is presenting a programme that requires a lot more intelligence. Anyone could do what Duffy does, lets be honest.

He is incredibly well paid for what he does. PK is overpaid too imho, but he has a much harder job.

They were being compared .... hence why I commented.

My point also highlighted that PK is presenting a programme that requires a lot more intelligence. Anyone could do what Duffy does, lets be honest.

He is incredibly well paid for what he does. PK is overpaid too imho, but he has a much harder job.

I like Pat but has proved beyond doubt he can't do the light stuff.

I like Pat but has proved beyond doubt he can't do the light stuff.

I'd agree, but the light stuff is easily done.
    It shouldn't require a massive wage the likes of D'arcy and Duffy are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D'arcy can no longer do light, dark, heavy or political stuff.

He'd kick your ass at pushups though

Again though when Ray was on Today Fm he was universally liked, since taking a wage off the state it is like he invented child cancer.

Same with Pat, absolutely lampooned on RTE "The Plank", Irelands greatest journalist since he left.

Do you like anyone on RTE?

Again though when Ray was on Today Fm he was universally liked, since taking a wage off the state it is like he invented child cancer.

Same with Pat, absolutely lampooned on RTE "The Plank", Irelands greatest journalist since he left.

Do you like anyone on RTE?

I like lots of stuff on RTE.
    Just not people stealing a living from a bankrupt broadcaster.

I like lots of stuff on RTE.

What or who specifically?

What or who specifically?

Off the top of my head:

A lot of stuff on RTE Radio 1. Morning Ireland, Doc On One etc. I listen quite a lot to it.
    John Creedon Show
    RTE TV news
    RTE's investigations and documentaries
    Some of their drama....latest one being Dublin Murders.
    When they cover sport, they tend to do it very well.
    Prime Time

Off the top of my head:

Some of their drama....latest one being Dublin Murders.

Dublin Murders is a BBC production, RTÉ funded very little of the series.

RTÉ have very little Drama output of their own. This year they have had one co-production in The Resistance, one home produced comedy Bridget and Eamon, a BBC drama (Dublin Murders) and The Young Offenders, not sure how much of it they funded.

Interestingly 2018 had more drama (including co-pros and FDI). I wonder what their Head of Drama does.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Elmo wrote: »
    I wonder what their Head of Drama does.
    1. Gets paid a lot.
    2. Hopes to fcuk that very few people notice that Dublin Murders is BBC produced, so can take credit for it.

Dublin Murders is a BBC production, RTÉ funded very little of the series.

How do you know?

How do you know?

It was announced by the BBC in 2017. It airs first on the BBC and the following night on RTÉ. I wouldn't be surprised if RTÉ just a paid a broadcast fee much like any other import.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/the-dublin-murders
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/dublin-murders

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wouldn't be surprised if RTÉ just a paid a broadcast fee much like any other import.

and got their name/logo in the credits because they supplied the catering vans for the sets in Dublin, with none other than himself below running the vans and creating the menu;

Marty1.jpg

• Advertisement

It was announced by the BBC in 2017. It airs first on the BBC and the following night on RTÉ. I wouldn't be surprised if RTÉ just a paid a broadcast fee much like any other import.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/the-dublin-murders
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/dublin-murders

Oh right I thought you actually knew.

I imagined they joined the production because it was produced in Ireland.

Either way they should be done far more collaborations like this.

Oh right I thought you actually knew.

I imagined they joined the production because it was produced in Ireland.

Either way they should be done far more collaborations like this.

As I said:-
      Interestingly 2018 had more drama (including co-pros and FDI). I wonder what their Head of Drama does.

And fair dues to them in 2018 for being able to provide one drama/comedy a week between Jan and June 2018.

Same can't be said of 2019. RTÉ should be insuring that the seek to not only collaboration but also some of their own dramas in case that collaboration isn't available.

There will be times when FDIs and Co-pros won't happen. If the BBC had not developed Dublin Murders it wouldn't have been produced, RTÉ should be developing dramas and looking for that Co-pro opportunity, and in some case in the event that FDI or Co-pro aren't there try to continue it themselves.

Otherwise they should defiantly continue to spend 25m on Imported programming.

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

SPDUB wrote: »
      What a load of bollocks

You don't ring up Liveline if you don't want to talk about it .

What about when the caller mentions “ when your researcher called me “

2. Registered Users Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What about when the caller mentions “ when your researcher called me “

the individual called by the researcher would still have to agree to go on the program.
      if they are agreeing to go on the program then i would imagine they are happy to talk, otherwise they have an absolute right to refuse to go on the program.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

3. Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Also consider the long list of broadcasting talent let through their hands by RTE who were able to make it big in the UK. RTE were unable to use this talent to the best of their abilities

Terry Wogan
      Graham Norton
      Dara O'Briain
      Dermot Morgan
      Sharon Horgan
      Aisling Bea
      Chris O'Dowd

They only recruited some of these back after they made it big abroad.

eg Sharon Horgan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Horgan
      Sharon Lorencia Horgan (born 13 July 1970)[1] is an Anglo-Irish actress, writer, comedian and producer. In 2004, after a rapid rise in London as a comedy writer and actress, Irish TV channel RTE rejected the idea of her comedy entertainment series The Sharon Horgan Show which would be driven by interviews, sketches and stand up guests.

There are others too like Baz Ashmawy.

Despite many of these comic talents, RTE have still failed utterly to come up with even one decent sitcom and instead have come up with unfunny after unfunny comedies that fail to raise even a single laugh.

All these mostly young talents were turned away by RTE or not even considered, so RTE could keep pensioner presenters in jobs.

No wonder many young people have stopped tuning into RTE.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Also consider the long list of broadcasting talent let through their hands by RTE who were able to make it big in the UK. RTE were unable to use this talent to the best of their abilities

Terry Wogan
      Graham Norton
      Dara O'Brian
      Dermot Morgan
      Sharon Horgan
      Aisling Bea
      Chris O'Dowd

They only recruited some of these back after they made it big abroad.

eg Sharon Horgan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Horgan

There are others too like Liz Bonin and Baz Ashmawy.

Despite many of these comic talents, RTE have still failed utterly to come up with even one decent sitcom.

All these mostly young talents were turned away by RTE or not even considered, so they could keep their pensioner presenters in jobs.

No wonder many young people have stopped watching RTE.

Hold it now, Baz made his name by appearing on RTE. While he seems to have a level of reality stardom, his appeal is beyond my comprehension.
      Liz Bonin 'won' an RTE talent show/competition looking for a presenter. It was rigged. So they had her. She's decent but hardly up there with Norton or the like.

Yep, RTE need their hands on, in and around everything. That's why their output is generally sub-par.

5. Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Hold it now, Baz made his name be appearing on RTE. While he seems to have a level reality stardom, his appeal is beyond my comprehension.
      Liz Bonin 'won' an RTE talent show/competition looking for a presenter. It was rigged. So they had her. She's decent but hardly up there with Norton or the like.

You can pick and choose. What about Wogan, Norton, Morgan, Horgan...no room in RTE long term for them?

These people work wonders in the right environment, but RTE is not the right environment.

Unless they are friends with or related to someone in RTE, they are shown the door.

6. Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Laura Whitmore, Craig Doyle, Donal McIntyre, Fergal Keane, all good enough for the UK, couldn't get a look in at RTE.

Just a really badly run institution which deserves no more cash until they genuinely get their house in order.

7. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You can pick and choose. What about Wogan, Norton, Morgan, Horgan...no room in RTE long term for them?

These people work wonders in the right environment, but RTE is not the right environment.

Unless they are friends with or related to someone in RTE, they are shown the door.

Yep.
      I think Lottie Ryan is the poster girl for this.
      She got a few spots on daytime TV, she got her own show created for her. She wasn't any use on TV so they put her on radio. She's no use there either.
      But they'll keep her in a job for life.

8. Advertisement
    9. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Laura Whitmore, Craig Doyle, Donal McIntyre, Fergal Keane, all good enough for the UK, couldn't get a look in at RTE.

Just a really badly run institution which deserves no more cash until they genuinely get their house in order.

Whitmore won an MTV competition to be a presenter straight out of college. I'd say all work after that being UK based was more organic.

Advertisement