Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes someone Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I'm not sure I follow your argument, if it's about ethnicity then an Irish person could become Scottish for example? Is Denzel Washington American? What nationality are people who are ethnically Jewish? If someone is mixed race are they automatically the nationality that goes with the ethnicity of the non-Caucasian parent?

That's exactly the point. Some countries like the US, Canada, etc., are based on citizenship/nationality and on the other hand, countries not primarily founded on emigration from Europe, Africa or Asia are not.

When someone says are you Irish? That includes people ethnically Irish who are from Ireland, and also a different group of people who have assumed citizenship. The argument essentially boils down to people who want a US/UK type of dissociation from any ethnic heritage a country would have (i.e., anyone with a passport from Ireland is Irish) and the other group with people who are born, parents, etc. , from Ireland and being caucasian, being Irish.

As long as there is only one word, it will always lead to one or the other side. The reason I see it as, is because in English there is only one word to descirbe everyone in Ireland. The other countries of Africa, Europe, Asia, pretty much all have native descriptive words to differentiate someone ethnically from here, and someone who is not.

Fundamentally, it is impossible to see this if you can only view things from the perspective of one language. French people are all French if you view it from just English. But clearly, there are English and then there are British, there are Francais and Etranger, in Judeism there are Jewish people and Goyim. Israel is founded on people itself immigrating there. In fact I think it is the norm for any group of similar people to recongise this and have it in volcabuilary. But because we use English, it can never be solved in Ireland. Hence New Irish, Irish African, etc., But it doesn't fit and doesn't seem correct, because someone from Nigerian doesn't necessarily want to be "Irish". Nor someone from India to be English, but might have British citizenship. None of these other words other nations have such as gaijin, auslander, etranger, buitenlander, goyim are essentially negative. My point is that they simply exist because they just do. In ireland, as we speak English, we do not have this distinction. Therefore we end up with two sides arguing.

The lack of English vocabulary and use of English itself is the issue in Ireland.

Why are people from India in the UK not refered to as "Indian English" or the "New English". Because that is ridiculous, that is why. But in Ireland, "New Irish" or "Indian Irish" is what the media come up with, and it is ....ridiculous :)

I propose that the new blanket term for citizenship and nationality is "Oirish" to equate with British in the UK. You can be Romanian with Oirish Citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

dissed doc wrote: »
    That's exactly the point. Some countries like the US, Canada, etc., are based on citizenship. On the other hand, countries not primarily founded on emigration from Europe, Africa or Asia are not.

When someone says are you Irish? That includes people ethnically Irish who are from Ireland, and people who have assumed citizenship. The argument essentially boils down to people who want a US/UK type of dissociation from any ethnic heritage a country would have (i.e., anyone with a passport from Ireland is Irish) and the other group with people who are born, parents, etc. , from Ireland and being caucasian, being Irish.

As long as there is only one word, it will always lead to one or the other side. The reason I see it as, is because in English there is only one word to descirbe everyone. The other countries of Africa, Europe, Asia, pretty much all have native descriptive words to differentiate someone ethnically from here, and someone who is not.

Yeah sorry, I really need to start reading my posts before I hit submit, wasn't trying to do a ninja edit on you there. But what about the mixed race question or the Jews? Interesting point about the language issue, seeing as it's AH I won't start talking about Foucault :D

I don't see it as either a citizenship or ethnicity issue though, I see it as a cultural one. I have a friend who's ethnically Indian, has dual citizenship but is definitely Irish as far as I'm concerned. Speaks with a Dublin accent, has your typical Irish sense of humour, mad for his tae. Any kind of construction of a "national character" is going to end up being a bit exclusionary and reductive, and it's particularly fraught in an Irish context seeing as we internalised and re-claimed a lot of the markers of identity that were imposed on us under colonialism, but it's a much better guide than ethnicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Being born here.

like those famous Paddies The Duke of Wellington and Francis Bacon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Or a crew cut scrote in a "Shams" jersey fighting in the streets with a scrote in "Bohs" jersey.

Take your pick of which stereotypical generalisation floats your boat.

Aren't they called 'Bohez'? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Referring to the police force in any country whatsoever around the world, as "the guards".

Referring to any electricity supplier/network in any country whatsoever around the world, as "the ESB".

Other stuff like "New Irish" for whatever brand of immigrant a person might be selling, is nonsense. Turkish people aren't called "the New Germans" in national newspapers in Germany, nor are Pakistani people in the UK referred to "the new English".
    But they're still German and English respectively. It's not like they've just arrived in those countries in the last couple of years. They've been there for generations now.

I'm sorry, but I can't count someone is Irish when they have an Irish passport only by fulfilling the basic criteria of living here a few months.

It's a subjective thing, for me it comes down to small unquantifiable things like the sense of humour, accents, recognition of the minutiae of growing up in Ireland etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Don't believe in God, still hate Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Birth, Citizenship or 10 years residency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Yeah sorry, I really need to start reading my posts before I hit submit, wasn't trying to do a ninja edit on you there. But what about the mixed race question or the Jews? Interesting point about the language issue, seeing as it's AH I won't start talking about Foucault :D

I don't see it as either a citizenship or ethnicity issue though, I see it as a cultural one. I have a friend who's ethnically Indian, has dual citizenship but is definitely Irish as far as I'm concerned. Speaks with a Dublin accent, has your typical Irish sense of humour, mad for his tae. Any kind of construction of a "national character" is going to end up being a bit exclusionary and reductive, and it's particularly fraught in an Irish context seeing as we internalised and re-claimed a lot of the markers of identity that were imposed on us under colonialism, but it's a much better guide than ethnicity

Its not straightforward.

Personally I don't think one person has the right to tell another person what their essence is.

Irishness comes in many forms, has many meanings.

Second to that, people tend to notice difference, and they compare you with their notion of your homeland, which is not always correct.

So your friend for example, maybe Irish to you, but that is to erase the Indian part of him, which you may not even notice depending how on familiar you are with the nuances of what it is to be Indian.

I've had many Irish people tell me I'm not a typical American, but all that means is I'm not typical in their imagined construction of one, which they probably got off the tv. They also tell me I have a Canadian accent, yeah whatever. I was in Montreal once for two days, 20 years ago.

My parents where anglo Irish and to this day I walk into American supermarkets and forget the American nomenclature for goods because I grew up with the Irish and English words for them. Childhood sticks somehow.

This is the age of the hybrid and with one Irish person leaving Ireland every six minutes according to recent statistics and migrants coming in, identity is not static, as much as we might let our craving for stability delude is into thinking it is.

My personal take is pretty black and white - if you are an Irish citizen, you're Irish. I know others look at it from more symbolic perspectives, but for some reason I go with the bureaucratic, administrative angle. :cool:

I also think that if you're an Irish citizen but don't identify yourself as Irish, it doesn't matter - you are Irish.

My personal take is pretty black and white - if you are an Irish citizen, you're Irish. I know others look at it from more symbolic perspectives, but for some reason I go with the bureaucratic, administrative angle. :cool:

I also think that if you're an Irish citizen but don't identify yourself as Irish, it doesn't matter - you are Irish.

There are a few ways to look at it.

Politically - as in citizenship.

Culturally - as in sensibility.

Blood line as in genetics.

Or a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Its not straightforward.

Personally I don't think one person has the right to tell another person what their essence is.

Irishness comes in many forms, has many meanings.

Second to that, people tend to notice difference, and they compare you with their notion of your homeland, which is not always correct.

So your friend for example, maybe Irish to you, but that is to erase the Indian part of him, which you may not even notice depending how on familiar you are with the nuances of what it is to be Indian.

I've had many Irish people tell me I'm not a typical American, but all that means is I'm not typical in their imagined construction of one, which they probably got off the tv. They also tell me I have a Canadian accent, yeah whatever. I was in Montreal once for two days, 20 years ago.

My parents where anglo Irish and to this day I walk into American supermarkets and forget the American nomenclature for goods because I grew up with the Irish and English words for them. Childhood sticks somehow.

This is the age of the hybrid and with one Irish person leaving Ireland every six minutes according to recent statistics and migrants coming in, identity is not static, as much as we might let our craving for stability delude is into thinking it is.

Yeah, any identity is built on difference and is mostly artificial anyway, it's not anything essential or unchanging. The state of Ireland was built on an idea of the Irish person as Catholic and rural less than 100 years ago, which rules an awful lot of the people posting here out straight away. I take your point on my friend and I know arse all about what it means to be Indian, but I know he considers himself Irish and I think on a practical rather than purely theoretical level (which it mostly is anyway) cultural markers are just a better way than relying on citizenship or ethnicity, insofar as it's a bit rich to tell someone who's been living here most of his life, has more in common lifestyle/language/humour wise with Irish people than Indian people that he is brown and therefore not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Female:- Big Arsé, small Tits

Male:- Small Brain, small Mickey

;)

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Female:- Big Arsé, small Tits
    Arse is African/Latina. Big boobs is more Irish/European.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Malibu Stacy

There are a few ways to look at it.

Politically - as in citizenship.

Culturally - as in sensibility.

Blood line as in genetics.

Or a combination.

Exactly. My mother is American but her grandparents are from Ireland and she grew up in a neighborhood where most of the parents on her block were from Ireland, or the children of Irish immigrants as well. The first time we visited Ireland, she 'got' a lot of the references and the sensibility that she picked up from her grandparents in a way that I didn't, because that's not the culture I grew up in. However, as an adult I lived and worked in Ireland for a while, and could probably tell you more about the Irish political system and economy than many Irish people could. I also picked up on the sensibility aspect. But my mother is entitled to citizenship and I am not; my mother looks Irish and I do not. So who is more Irish?

I have no problem with people personally identifying as Irish, but if they aren't an Irish citizen, I don't view them as Irish. Just my personal opinion btw - not saying I'm right and others are wrong.

People from Northern Ireland are Irish as they have Irish passports but they are also British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Turning into a melted ball of plastic in the sun.

I have no problem with people personally identifying as Irish, but if they aren't an Irish citizen, I don't view them as Irish. Just my personal opinion btw - not saying I'm right and others are wrong.

People from Northern Ireland are Irish as they have Irish passports but they are also British.

But doesn't the NI situation highlight how important self-identification is in the process of what makes someone Irish (or British)?

Most European, Asian and African countries are actually consisting of people with some common ethnic line. .

This is not true, for several reasons.

First, I think the whole idea of an 'essentialist' notion of identity in Europe is coming back big time in reaction to immigration, but the idea that citizenship equals nationality is a relatively new phenomenon for most European countries. Certainly in places like Belgium, the UK and Spain, there is recognition (if not agreement) that there is such a thing as a multi-national state, and that citizenship and nationality/ethnicity are distinct. The idea of whiteness as being a marker of European identity is also relatively new; Slavs and Latins were all but considered a different race until relatively recently.

In addition, there is significant heterogeneity within countries like China (hence all of the fighting over Tibet). And let's not even get started on the ethnic differences within African countries.

• Advertisement

This is not true, for several reasons.

First, I think the whole idea of an 'essentialist' notion of identity in Europe is coming back big time in reaction to immigration, but the idea that citizenship equals nationality is a relatively new phenomenon for most European countries. Certainly in places like Belgium, the UK and Spain, there is recognition (if not agreement) that there is such a thing as a multi-national state, and that citizenship and nationality/ethnicity are distinct. The idea of whiteness as being a marker of European identity is also relatively new; Slavs and Latins were all but considered a different race until relatively recently.

In addition, there is significant heterogeneity within countries like China (hence all of the fighting over Tibet). And let's not even get started on the ethnic differences within African countries.

This is very new to Europe, true, whereas we have been negotiating and continue to for a long time now. You know how we have so many ghost stories to emerge out of New England, I think we are haunted quite literally by this question, who are we?

Europe also did not fully embrace federalism. No matter what state you are from you are still American. No matter what hyphen you use, you are still American first. Europe now has so many countries, but there really is no central "European" identity that really means anything. So they stick to their country's nationality, usually defined by blood lineage. So they are still working it all out and have a long way to go, because they are still tied by the myth of origin.

Of course Ireland was always more complex given all its emmigration that it had to be more than blood. You step outside the country and you cant vote anymore, and I don't think locals really see you as Irish either. Of course different climes and paths change us, for sure, but childhood sticks. But their kids will always be American, Mancunian, Australian, etc...The way I look at it with first generations is like those concentric circles that meet in the middle, there's a shared space for the culture you share with your parents, and then there is your own that you share with your nation, and that goes for immigrants into a new homeland too, who choose transformation over exile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The mammy.

This is very new to Europe, true, whereas we have been negotiating and continue to for a long time now. You know how we have so many ghost stories to emerge out of New England, I think we are haunted quite literally by this question, who are we?

Europe also did not fully embrace federalism. No matter what state you are from you are still American. No matter what hyphen you use, you are still American first. Europe now has so many countries, but there really is no central "European" identity that really means anything. So they stick to their country's nationality, usually defined by blood lineage. So they are still working it all out and have a long way to go, because they are still tied by the myth of origin..

Oh, I don't mean European federalism, I mean national identity within states. Europe still has multi-national states (Spain, Belgium and the UK being the most obvious examples). But Germany also is a federal system, and the Italian regions are still very, very distinct culturally and politically. If not for the massive transfers of people in the wake of WWII, Central and Eastern European states would be far more nationally diverse than they are today. Nevertheless, the "Who are we" question still haunts Europe, not just because of immigration, but because this has always been an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

A love of alcohol and potatoes
    That's Russians !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

An acquaintance once tried to convince me that Jesus was Irish, on the grounds that 1. he was very attached to the mammy, 2. he was always hanging around with the lads and 3. he died roaring for a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Arse is African/Latina. Big boobs is more Irish/European.

Theres only way to settle this argument FF ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think its odd that people worry about their Irish heritage.
    I don't know what it takes to make you Irish. I suppose its a combination
    of family linage, birth on the country, willingness to fight for out culture.

Ireland as it stands right now, seems to have the same culture that my parents
    and my grand parents talked about.
    "We" were never a bad minded people, we only hoped for the best in people.
    My parents never drank and my grandparents rarely did so.

In my mind, your are Irish if you can see yourself as part of the community.
    If you see a island with mixed views / people but will fight for them.

Ireland is a true free land, it is the ideal america aspires too.

We are free, in spirit, in mind and we will argue the **** out of that until the other, drops dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Don't think there's too many UK passports lying around in bedroom drawers in Ballymurphy or Crosmaglen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Or a crew cut scrote in a "Shams" jersey fighting in the streets with a scrote in "Bohs" jersey.

Sexual congress with livestock alert

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

It depends on who 'your people' are. Like I wouldn't consider any Fitz..., Nugent's, Roche's or De Lacey's Irish - sure they're only Norman blow-ins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It depends on who you ask . I was born here, raised here , a nationalist, drink guiness, enjoy gaa but some on boards.ie classify me as a west brit cause i think the ira and their 'supporters' are/were scum

It has a different meaning to every individual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Being born here.

Devalera loikes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Being born here.

Where you're born has nothing to do with it. Its about your parents nationalities where you live and where you hold citizenship.

If a French couple were visiting Ireland and they had a baby while here the baby is not irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Where you're born has nothing to do with it. Its about your parents nationalities where you live and where you hold citizenship.

If a French couple were visiting Ireland and they had a baby while here the baby is not irish.

What if that baby happens to be exceptionally good at rugby. Can we have it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland
    3. Parents both born in Ireland
    4. Grandparents both born in Ireland

Other stuff like "New Irish" for whatever brand of immigrant a person might be selling, is nonsense. Turkish people aren't called "the New Germans" in national newspapers in Germany, nor are Pakistani people in the UK referred to "the new English".

So maybe:

5. Massive inferiority complex with regard to culture and heritage rammed down your throat by a liberal left-wing media.

And that is Irish.

What a load of absolute ****e! My son was born in New Zealand with one Irish parent and moved here when he was 20 months old. He has as much right to call himself Irish as anyone that meets your criteria.

Sorry to shatter your 'pure race' fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Irish is like sexuality. Nobody chooses to be Irish, people are born Irish. You maybe born into the Kombai tribe and never interacted with someone from outside the tribe but one day the Irish will come out.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Irish is like sexuality. Nobody chooses to be Irish, people are born Irish. You maybe born into the Kombai tribe and never interacted with someone from outside the tribe but one day the Irish will come out.

That is patently ridiculous. If someone with Irish parents was adopted by Panamanians as a newborn, other than an inability to tolerate the sun, why would they have any innate 'Irish' traits? What kind of urges would one even have? Do you expect someone to hear a snatch of the Chieftains one day and inexplicably start dancing a jig in the middle of the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

That is patently ridiculous. If someone with Irish parents was adopted by Panamanians as a newborn, other than an inability to tolerate the sun, why would they have any innate 'Irish' traits? What kind of urges would one even have? Do you expect someone to hear a snatch of the Chieftains one day and inexplicably start dancing a jig in the middle of the street?

One day in their early teens they will have an uncontrollable urge to moan about the weather :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Eating in one of the finest restaurants in all of the US in San Francisco and hearing the following from a colleague who wasn't joking:

Jaysus, I'd kill for a Supermacs Shnack Box right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Born in England of two Irish parents, moved to Northern Ireland aged 14. I'm now 27 and my accent has not changed since.

In England I was constantly made fun of for my Irish heritage at school. Sadly it was partly my own fault as I was a bit of plastic paddy back in those days when I was kid, wearing ROI tops and such (didn't have much choice my parents forced me to do so), so obviously everyone identified me as Irish, given we were seen as "that Irish immigrant family" in the neighbourhood.

Yes I got stick that I was a dumb thick paddy, who must have been intellectually inferior, my parents were considered "drunks" and I was somehow responsible for the PIRA bombing campaign that was going on in England at the time. I never once was considered English by the English, always a foreigner.

Moved to Northern Ireland, situation completely changes, I'm now a British so and so all of a sudden, everyone hears my English accent and the stereotypes begin, people assume I'm of unionist political persuasion, son of a soldier and that I could be potentially anti-Irish/pro-loyalist. My "people" were responsible for the occuption of Ireland and British rule, "you lot were shameful for famine, I hope you know that" etc.

I think the thing that annoys me about people in Ireland, and particularly Northern Ireland, is how often people make assumptions about me. The most annoying one is that I am quite often seen as a protestant, which is so so annoying. Not only is it annoying, but its incredibly ignorant. I was born to two Irish catholic parents. But that means little as most people on both sides, are happy to label me as protestant, in the silly sectarian head count that goes on here.

Little do Irish people know that I came under a lot of abuse for my Irish heritage in what they percieve as my "homeland". I don't see myself as English and never have done, however I am reluctant to call myself Irish either understandably.

I know I have posted this story too many times and I should keep quiet about it now :P, but I do find it fascinating the range of views people have about nationality and how difficult it is for somebody like me to be pidgeon holed into a nationality when both countries in question see me as a foreigner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I want to make it clear though that I really do like living in Ireland (or Britain) and have no problem with hardly anyone in those two countries, but the levels of ignorance of some people isn't exactly bereft at times! I just wanted to finish on that positive note incase my opening post comes across as too negative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very interesting posts^ Thomas, and God knows its a mine field :))

Being Irish means so many things to so many people, from Ian Paisley to Tom Cruise, to Gerry Adams, to Jeremy Irons, to Shane McGowan, they all claim to be Irish, in one way or another.

Many people born in England to Irish parents claim to be 100% Irish, while others claim to be English due to being born in England, others claim not really to be English but British. Paisley is of course British (but in an Irish context), and Jeremy Irons is actually English, or is he? Many children born and bread in Ireland of Polish parents are Irish, right? or are they Polish? and what about the Americans who call themseles Irish, but only because their great grandmother might have came from Ireland during the famine?

Many different shades of Irishness, including being Irish in a British context, and British in an Irish context. Head wrecking indeed, but what I think it all boils down to is > Personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

What I would like to know is why people seem so hung up on who 'can' and 'cannot' call themselves Irish?

The 'criteria' put forward by some, including being 'Caucasian' and where parents and grandparents were born, has the specific intention of excluding certain groups and quite frankly, qualifies to be labeled with the 'R' word.

If a person with two non Irish parents was born in Ireland, has lived here all their lives and want to call themselves Irish, then they are!

By the 'two parents and four grandparents born in Ireland' criteria, I would not be entitled to hold any passport or call myself a citizen of any country. I am certainly not a New Zealander as I have one grandparent and one parent who were not born in NZ. However rather than not being entitled to citizenship, I and others like me from families of mixed Nationalities, are entitled to multiple citizenship. Maybe it's just sour grapes from the 'pure race' types who only hold one passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Dom wrote: »
    Location of the maternity hospital / taxi.

Damn! I was born in neither. So not Irish, then. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Irish =

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

So, by definition, your parents are only Irish if they are:

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

And their grandparents are only Irish if they are:

1. Caucasian
    2. Born in Ireland

Buzz when you see where this is going...

Hint: Humans (Irish) didn't arise spontaneously on this island. Way back in the mists of time someone migrated here, and, by definition, were not Irish. Hence, by your definition, there can be no Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

srsly78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that won't get you past immigration control at the airport.

You'll be surprised what will get you past immigration at Dubin airport

Not only do the massive minority of irish people behave in that way, the massive minority of bohs and shamrock rovers fans behave in that way

Being Irish is more than just holding an Irish passport. It's not that simple.The same thing applies to most if not all other nationalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Apparently you have to be from Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Being Irish is more than just holding an Irish passport. It's not that simple.The same thing applies to most if not all other nationalities

Yeah you have to be fluent as gaeilge, a Joycean scholar and a trad musician. Boy it took me a while to become Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement