Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Antares35 wrote: »
    Weather "alerts" that come to nothing. Every other day its feckin warnings about snow and storms. Are the breads companies giving them back handers to do this? In reality, its actually not Met Eirean doing this, it's stupid click bait media like MSN and The Journal that just hone in on a word when it's a slow news day, and get the country all riled up for sweet FA.

Generally speaking, I'm with you. In the specific, if it's any consolation my estate is a ski piste and the roads, even the main ones, were prettttty bad this evening, at least over here, and I skidded three times (thankfully without any negative outcome).

But you know what? I wish TAs were tangible, so I could use mine to slap across the face the complete imbecile that this morning, on icy, slippery, bendy, potholey mountain roads was driving around a bend while using his mobile. Can we please bring back public flogging, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Be another 6 weeks off work then.

That gave me a much needed actual LOL, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m just after washing and drying my hair which is a chore in and of itself and now I’m after dropping a whole glob of sweet chilli sauce on the ends. Literally would rather give myself a trim than wash it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I’m just after washing and drying my hair which is a chore in and of itself and now I’m after dropping a whole glob of sweet chilli sauce on the ends. Literally would rather give myself a trim than wash it again

Could you think of it as a plant based, deep treatment, leave -in conditioner in your hair and not food? That way, you don't have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Talking to a lad today, he had never even heard of Kobe Bryant. And was proud of the fact too. More interested in muck, cabbage, mass, GAA and green deezel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

Someone coming between me and my sleep ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Cannot get the word milquetoast out of my head the past couple of days.
    This post made me laugh so much. Just brilliant really.

So you think it should be free? What other businesses do you think should offer their services for nothing?
    Ah come on now Newbridge. If we can't criticise banks in a thread about things that annoy us then the thread may as well be shut down.

RMAOK wrote: »
    People asking questions that they already know the answer to, just to see what you'd say.
    Or in the case of a few I know, people who ask you a question then cut you off when you start to answer so they can give their opinion on what they just asked you.

Also TA that I've done my back in and am hobbling around like an old man.

And TA at people that multi quote loads of other peoples posts and create a really long post. It's fair to say those people are soooooo sad.

vriesmays wrote: »
    TV/dog/fishing/shotgun licenSe.
    I have no reason for quoting this other than I'm already quoting loads of other posts so I thought sure why not?! It's not even from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    When people don't clip open the little stitch at the bottom of a split in a coat. It looks ridiculous and so clearly wrong. Do they think this stupid gash in the coat was the intention of the designer?

Again this morning. This lady had a split in her coat that, I'm not exaggerating here, started in the middle of her back and ran the whole length of the coat down to mid calf. And at the bottom she hadn't clipped open the stitch so there was just a gaping maw around her arse as she walked.
    TA 1 - why design a coat with such a stupidly high split in it? How would that keep you warm with your arse hanging out?
    TA 2 - cut open the fcuking stitch you twot. You cannot possibly think that looks better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm coming up to the end of a roll of clingfilm and the "cling" has been gone out of it for days now. It is just limp, lifeless plastic that doesn't wrap sandwiches properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

I forgot that pop tarts have lava inside and it now feels like I have second-degree burns.

Damn tasty pop tart though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

In laws

Just 2 words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

House alarms when they go on and on.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Again this morning. This lady had a split in her coat that, I'm not exaggerating here, started in the middle of her back and ran the whole length of the coat down to mid calf. And at the bottom she hadn't clipped open the stitch so there was just a gaping maw around her arse as she walked.
    TA 1 - why design a coat with such a stupidly high split in it? How would that keep you warm with your arse hanging out?
    TA 2 - cut open the fcuking stitch you twot. You cannot possibly think that looks better.

This is a major TA for me (oxymoron there, I know). I've whinged about it several times over the years and the number of people who are like "Oh I didn't know you were supposed to take that out?". Really? Were you raised in the wild by wolves???

Today's TA: someone stinking out the office with their eye-wateringly strong cheese & onion crisps. I hate the smell of cheese & onion crisps. Dunno how anyone eats them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Today's TA: someone stinking out the office with their eye-wateringly strong cheese & onion crisps. I hate the smell of cheese & onion crisps. Dunno how anyone eats them.

Are they from the country, D? Country folk tend to enjoy the reassuring “socky” taste of the cheese and onion crisp and the boring dependency of “ready salted”.

Cheese and onion is a flavour best avoided in an office “environment” and should never be eaten at ones desk.

Still, at least it wasn’t sour cream and onion. That’s just rank.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

...Continuing with social norms....

Why aren't handbrake turns acceptable?

I arrive home in the evening travelling westwards, and want to park my car facing eastwards so I don't have to do a three point turn in busy traffic when I next want to use it. There is almost never time to do a three point turn before parking because traffic is busy when I get home too, and if I want to go down the street and turn in a gateway it often takes ages (because of the busy traffic) and often my space is gone when I get back! There's more likely to be time/space for a quick handbrake turn and then I could parallel park and be done with it. Most of the time I could probably handbrake park it and be out of the way in seconds.

And while I'm moaning about my car - I feel under pressure to replace it. It's getting kind of old now, but it's very low mileage for it's age and has been nothing but reliable it's whole life. But between tax, difficulties insuring an older car, and yearly NCTs, I feel like it'd be a hell of a lot easier to buy a new one. It just feels like such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Political debates on TV

But I have to add, Claire Byrne was easy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

TA is that some middle aged hag, who was in the wrong lane, just cut straight in front of me on the Dunkettle Interchange. Lucky I always have my wits about me as she was millimetres off from hitting the front drivers side of my car. Stupid cow kept driving on, oblivious to the fact that she nearly caused a crash. I left her have it with the horn.

TA is that some middle aged hag, who was in the wrong lane, just cut straight in front of me on the Dunkettle Interchange. Lucky I always have my wits about me as she was millimetres off from hitting the front drivers side of my car. Stupid cow kept driving on, oblivious to the fact that she nearly caused a crash. I left her have it with the horn.

Was she coming from Dublin and wanted to head for the city instead of the tunnel?

Was she coming from Dublin and wanted to head for the city instead of the tunnel?

Nope, she was coming from Glounthaune, middle lane but cut in to go in the slow lane into the tunnel instead of the fast lane or heading to the city.

Nope, she was coming from Glounthaune, middle lane but cut in to go in the slow lane into the tunnel instead of the fast lane or heading to the city.

I'd regularly see people doing similar things on that roundabout too.

• Advertisement

I'd regularly see people doing similar things on that roundabout too.

This is the umpteenth time it has happened to me. I'm actually going to get dashcams fitted to my car, so that in the event of a crash, I can prove I wasn't at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am my own TA today. Annoying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The bosses have decided on a round of cost cutting and people have been reassigned and nobody gets hired to replace leavers

My job which used to be done by 4 people was done by 2 people today. The pair of us stressed all day

And tomorrow it’s just me so even worse.

How about cutting a few bosses instead? No they all kept their jobs.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians is my TA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The bosses have decided on a round of cost cutting and people have been reassigned and nobody gets hired to replace leavers

My job which used to be done by 4 people was done by 2 people today. The pair of us stressed all day

And tomorrow it’s just me so even worse.

How about cutting a few bosses instead? No they all kept their jobs.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians is my TA

Welcome to capitalism. Enjoy the ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Walking through a moonlit campus last night, I came across a housing protest with drums and some chanting, a handful or two of enthusiastic people signing and drumming their truth.

Ta, I didnt see the name of the group so I cant find them online to give them a attagirl/boy type comment.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Just brought my bottles from all of December and January to the bottle bank. Holy be to heysus it’s any wonder I’ve a liver left at all id say it’s ready to grow wings and take flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Can't refer to a cat as a pussy on Facebook without getting a ban ...... totally innocent like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I feel like my eyesight is getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Was careless (or forgetful) with a piece of post yesterday, now may've lost some funds :(

• Advertisement

The fact that our wifi seriously struggles to make it up the stairs to my bedroom while all the neighbours' networks show up as strong as an ox when I'm trying to reconnect. I live in a detached house, like, wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The various cars, vans and SUVs with VOTE NO.1 and hideously enlarged grinning politician heads stuck on the sides.
    I'd be mortified if my likeness was made into a giant sticker and paraded around the roads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The fact that our wifi seriously struggles to make it up the stairs to my bedroom while all the neighbours' networks show up as strong as an ox when I'm trying to reconnect. I live in a detached house, like, wtf?

Maybe look into getting yourself a set of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220T-KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration/dp/B07N1HDMFR/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1IHL8QSSTUJQK&keywords=wifi+plug&qid=1580248547&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=wifi%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Bought a new set of water glasses at the weekend, as the last set broke one by one through carelessness.
    Left one on the floor tonight, an hour later knocked it over and smash.
    And I can't blame anyone else as it was my fault.

Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Ghosteen

Again.

Inconceivable!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bought a new set of water glasses at the weekend, as the last set broke one by one through carelessness.
    Left one on the floor tonight, an hour later knocked it over and smash.
    And I can't blame anyone else as it was my fault.

Again.

6db9b4b6d35ed0ff5c3657f5163648b4.jpg
    (Really, though, that's such a pain in the neck and such a disappointment, too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It TAs me that sometimes I can take the car out of gear before starting it by simply moving the gearstick and other times I have to push down the clutch first.

When mobile phone batteries start to die and take forever to charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A Facebook thread about a friend who passed away. It says he has "gone to the party in the sky". If that's not clear enough there are several mentions of the man's death and funeral, in the comments. Along comes a prize tulip and asks " as e died?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Could you not just ask your neighbours for the password?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Having to fish stuff out of the bins, my lodger constantly puts recyclables in the black bin and vice versa. Or if not messing up the kitchen bins he sticks full bags of dirt secretly into the outside bin in plastic bags tied up buried under other stuff. I have so far had 3 warning letters from Bin company to put in only loose materials so they can picture what goes in. I guess ill have to book in another lecture:rolleyes:
    And before you ask I have full guides to everything about recycling stuck onto the fridge. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Isn't it the biggest waste of time and money this weather getting your car washed :(

It's in an awful state though

Seven Worlds will Collide

I live in one of many house on an uphill incline, meaning we all congregate our waste bins on the bottom of the hill. TA at how the bin collection company constantly leave the bins back in any old way and thrown about the place, meaning this morning I had to move at least 16 bins out of my way before I could even get the car out onto the road. Also TA that the other residents have seemingly never had any issue with this meaning I’m the one who has to raise any issue once again. Also TA that I’m definitely seen as the resident moaning Michael around here.

Trying to contact people who's job is to actually help me!
    Monday was the 3rd time I emailed/called to make an appointment for help, still not a response and no history of them responding to me when I do ask.

When things go ti*s up due to a lack of help on the topic, it will be ALL MY FAULT.

I sent an email(as I HATE the phone)to a colleague asking for specific information, I detailed what I was after using well used and known phrases that anyone who has worked for more than 5 mins in the organisation knows.
    I arrive at the planned meeting and half way through he says that he doesn't have the info as he was 'confused' and didnt know what 'I meant', eg, Mark, as my handwriting is illegiable, would you put x info onto a typed form or write it out for me in advance?

Not sure what is confusing about that, anyway the real ta is that I had to travel cross country to find this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Constantly getting (professional) emails addressed to Mrs Bolg Buí despite the fact that a) I am not married and b) the only places they could have got my work email from clearly refers to me as Dr Bolg Buí (it's academia, so the dr part is always included). I'd even accept a Ms, but either way it's doubly annoying because all my male colleagues get addressed exclusively as Dr. Even got a group email today where the three men are addressed as Dr Blah x3 and I'm still Mrs.

Also TA that I let this annoyance step into my emails and pointed out in a reply earlier that I'm not married, despite it having no baring on the actual email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Our family home lost a much beloved, longstanding and loyal servant today.
    RIP Washing Machine - you will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Bredabe wrote: »
    I sent an email(as I HATE the phone)to a colleague asking for specific information, I detailed what I was after using well used and known phrases that anyone who has worked for more than 5 mins in the organisation knows.
    I arrive at the planned meeting and half way through he says that he doesn't have the info as he was 'confused' and didnt know what 'I meant', eg, Mark, as my handwriting is illegiable, would you put x info onto a typed form or write it out for me in advance?

Not sure what is confusing about that, anyway the real ta is that I had to travel cross country to find this out.

I’m confused 🀷*♂️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

People making themselves the centre of posts on social media, particularly Instagram.

I saw a guy put up a post after holidaying in Africa, and used the geolocation and caption to grab peoples attention about the exotic location. He put up 5 pictures, three of which were using the iPhone portrait mode that blurs out the back. Utterly pointless, thinking people are more interested looking at him than the many differences of another continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Constantly getting (professional) emails addressed to Mrs Bolg Buí despite the fact that a) I am not married and b) the only places they could have got my work email from clearly refers to me as Dr Bolg Buí (it's academia, so the dr part is always included). I'd even accept a Ms, but either way it's doubly annoying because all my male colleagues get addressed exclusively as Dr. Even got a group email today where the three men are addressed as Dr Blah x3 and I'm still Mrs.

Also TA that I let this annoyance step into my emails and pointed out in a reply earlier that I'm not married, despite it having no baring on the actual email.

Don't you know it is considered tasteless even in academia to refer to oneself as 'Dr' when you are not a medical doctor ....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Twats on Strava who only post 'runs' when they go on holiday. 'Runs' as in slowly waddling their fat asses around the promenade...my mother power walks quicker.

I call it the 'gratuitous holiday run'- basically just using it as opportunity to tell people that you are on holiday. Who gives a crap about your 2k lunch walk around Palma markets...I'm sorry but this is not 1987 going to Spain is not something to show off.

Where the fcuk are you for the other 50 weeks of the year when the rest of us are busting out 50-60km per week in hail, sleet, snow and sub zero pitch dark conditions?

I have actually 'unfollowed' people for this BS. Gob****es.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement