Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Bannon is remodeling your house, what would/wouldn't you allow him to do?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m currently in a hotel room in Bulgaria that has a clear glass wall on the bathroom:

48751054683_cff7377455_z.jpg

You press a button and it goes opaque. But they don’t tell you about the button (it’s hidden behind towels), I spent the first day wondering what kind of freak designed a room that let you see the toilet from the bed. Even though I’m here on my own, it freaked me out.

48751054213_fcd8abd30a_z.jpg

That’s so the prostitutes don’t rob you when you’re taking a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

I wouldn't let him go open plan for everything. He refuses to accept that some people like to be in different rooms for peace and quiet, privacy or tidiness. My folks' family home kitchen is always a mess but the living room is generally always tidy to chill out or watch TV in. Open plan makes a mess of everywhere.

I wouldn't let him go over budget. Even if he stamps his foot and cries.

I wouldn't let him call Diarmuid Gavin. Seems like a ratings grab and it's my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

LazerShark wrote: »

I wouldn't let him go open plan for everything. He refuses to accept that some people like to be in different rooms for peace and quiet, privacy or tidiness.

My folks' family home kitchen is always a mess but the living room is generally always tidy to chill out or watch TV in. Open plan makes a mess of everywhere.

Agreed. And, at a more practical level, the smell of cooked food always invades the open plan area and lingers there, no matter how effective the air extraction fan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s so the prostitutes don’t rob you when you’re taking a shower.

The other thing that freaked me out about this hotel is these signs that are plastered in every floor and in the lifts. I’m wondering what the fück goes on here.

48756498607_2804b37dc5_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

Exposed concrete would be banned for floors, worktops etc. Horrendous. Similarly brick walls inside house. There was a horrible one a few seasons ago. Pergurliga or whatever it's called from last weeks episode. Pointless waste of 20 grand. Thankfully the couple vetoed it.

No way would I go with his kitchen if I hated it. I'd 100 million percent veto real wooden floors like this weeks episode. They are totally impractical. My friend has one + it was wrecked in short space of time with heel markers from shoes+ colour faded in parts of room more exposured to sun.

I would love an open plan space but only for kitchen/ dining. I would have to still have a separate decent sitting room.

I would never employ Dermot because it's all about style over substance. He only cares about how it looks not about what's practical. It's a problem with a lot of architects. For example I know of an office building that's won awards but staff hate it because you cant open a window to let in air. Style over substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

jiltloop wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but I don't think all architects are necessarily at the artist end of the spectrum, I don't think Dermot Bannon is at a level where he is an architectural genius and should be given a free reign.

I don't either, not complete free reign anyway-there has to be some input by the client, but it's part of their degree to utilise artistic and creative talent. It's as much an art form as a science. Not much point studying architecture for 4 years or more if you don't have any creativity or flair for design that's needed to bring to the job.
    If I was getting Michelangelo in to paint the ceilings I'd leave him at it, if I was getting my local painter and decorator in I'd be telling him exactly what I want done.

Aye but in the case of a good or great architect you wouldn't let either have complete free reign in your home you will live in without giving them some input on what you want, so I don't think the analogy holds.

It wouldn't be a case of just leave him at it totally, or tell him exactly what you want done because that's not how the process of designing a home seems to work with an architect-with any architect onboard. Unless you're as rich as Croesus and so flexible on how everything will look and function that you leave the entire project in their hands and come back when it's complete. And I don't think many people would risk that.

And why get an architect at all if you know exactly what you want done anyway?
    Just hire the builders, engineer. Or self build. When you hire an architect you're paying for the things you will not have the professional training to come up with yourself-all his or her years of education, expertise and experience that comes from their brain onto paper. Things that may end up saving you time and money in the long run and get you a home where you may have things you never dreamed possible in that space for the money you have to spend.
    In the same way, if I was getting a average architect in I'd be giving them a brief, listening to their professional feedback and then agreeing a plan. However if I was getting a talented architect in my brief would be very ahem... brief and I'd be excited to see what solution he would come up with.

I think the better more cost effective way if you can only afford average is to just get drawings done up, and you don't need an architect for that. An engineer or draughtsman will do it.
    I remember also reading about a project where you can employ an architect at a very reasonable cost for one hour of their time but I don't remember the details.
    Otherwise if you employ an architect of whatever competency you're still going to end up paying a fair chunk of money.

And if I had the money for one I'd try to stretch the budget to a good one then settle.
    Or try and get Dermot and the TV cameras around to my house and get his services for free. :)

J DEERE wrote: »
    Don't forget a concrete countertop. I've never understood why people would want exposed concrete anything in their house. It's a raw construction product

Polished concrete can look nice, especially on flooring. But not something I'd choose myself.

Dermot talked about that on last week's episode actually. Said he didn't understand why people here don't like concrete structures like kitchen island units made from it because they can look just as beautiful as granite, and that if it was called "concréte" or something we'd all want it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I’d not let him near my house. He doesn’t listen to people, and thinks he can never be wrong. Of course people are de fecking lighted with the end result and who wouldn’t be having lived in a building site for god knows how long, any sort of clean, finished and newly fitted house is welcome.
    Nope, I like old buildings, with personality, practicality and history not porcelain tiled, bland rooms which are professionally dressed for show.

appledrop wrote: »
    Exposed concrete would be banned for floors, worktops etc. Horrendous. Similarly brick walls inside house. There was a horrible one a few seasons ago. Pergurliga or whatever it's called from last weeks episode. Pointless waste of 20 grand. Thankfully the couple vetoed it.

The infamous pergola. He got slated online afterwards for that. Total waste of money.
    I'd 100 million percent veto real wooden floors like this weeks episode. They are totally impractical. My friend has one + it was wrecked in short space of time with heel markers from shoes+ colour faded in parts of room more exposured to sun.

His kitchens all have that German designer kitchen look I really don't like. Or wouldn't want for myself at least. Real wood cupboards with HANDLES and wooden counter top please and lots of colourful splash back tiles.

I disagree on the wooden floors though. I think so long as you look after real wood oiling once a year there's nothing more beautiful. Marks will happen but I don't wear shoes indoors anyway. Mine are at least 70 years old, possibly more and have a lovely patina of age.
    Think about when you go into a stately home with ancient wooden floors that have had generations of feet walking on them. You don't think how badly marked they look, just how naturally beautiful and warm they look- dents, dings, marks, creaking boards and all.
    Sun fading can be prevented by moving things around and putting down rugs. Or lime wash or paint the floor.
    screamer wrote: »
    Nope, I like old buildings, with personality, practicality and history not porcelain tiled, bland rooms which are professionally dressed for show.

Me too, love old houses. And they're built to last. Mine is 150 years old and solid still, even though none of the cottages on my road were built by professionals, just people who needed a home and used local stone, sand and rubble.

What will these people do in 10 years when indoor courtyards, open plan, minimalist kitchens and all those latest furniture and soft furnishings have gone out of fashion? spend yet more huge amounts of money on remodelling? :confused: madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wouldn't have the bollox near me. An arrogant gobshyte who doesn't give a damn about his client's wishes. Loves to (over)spend their money on the shyte that HE likes. And will never admit he ballsed up.

Ever see the episode where he made a pig's ear of measurements for a window, ended up with this squished turd of a thing that you have to sit down and lean down into to see out, and then insisted it was meant to be that way?

[IMG]https://cdn-04.independent.ie/incoming/article36787806.ece/4710c/AUTOCROP/w620/hobbit window.png[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

J DEERE wrote: »
    It's relatively easy in practice too. If ur engineer and architect are suggesting it surely they can give you a drawing. Any decent tradesman could do it even without a drawing

Decent tradesman=builder! Agreed, but see comment about availability of builders. Anyway I don't think I want it open plan (I can always change my mind later if I wish). As others have said, there is a lot to be said for closing a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

We can add plywood kitchen to list after last night's episode + pebbledash! Horrendous

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

A glorified interior designer to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I would want a sound proof cellar/dungeon and lock him in it and throw away the key and do us all a great favour,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I also wouldn't be in favor having a split level kitchen, living,etc area unless there was some dramatic reason for it.

We can add plywood kitchen to list after last night's episode + pebbledash! Horrendous

Anybody who recommends pebbledashing needs an almighty clatter. Hideous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

LazerShark wrote: »
    I wouldn't let him go over budget. Even if he stamps his foot and cries.

I wouldn't let him call Diarmuid Gavin. Seems like a ratings grab and it's my garden.

I'd tell him the budget is two thirds of what the actual budget is, that way it might actually come in under...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Didn't like the plywood at all, made me think of a shop or something. I thought leaving the pebbledash part of the wall in the kitchen looked well though, and was a bit different from the norm
    I also wouldn't be in favor having a split level kitchen, living,etc area unless there was some dramatic reason for it.

Agreed with you on that. It was the house owners request though

Advertisement