Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts of an unapologetic teacher

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So it takes four years if you have no degree?

4 years for your degree, then 2 for the PME, for a total of 6 years.

That's at second level, or going down the postgraduate route. The B.Ed in Primary teaching at Mary Immaculate College, St Pat's, Froebel, and Marino takes 4 years as an undergrad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

4 years for your degree, then 2 for the PME, for a total of 6 years.

That's at second level, or going down the postgraduate route. The B.Ed in Primary teaching at Mary Immaculate College, St Pat's, Froebel, and Marino takes 4 years as an undergrad.

.... and yet people still think teachers should be paid on a part-time basis...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Virtually every teacher I have ever met has been the dullest, least intellectually curious example of a human being you could ever meet.

A friend of my wife’s husband is a teacher and he is an idiot. Perfectly knowledgeable about GAA or cattle but apart from that he’s an empty vessel. I mentioned Archimedes once and he thought he played for Brazil in the 1982 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

.... and yet people still think teachers should be paid on a part-time basis...

They work on a parttime basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rodin wrote: »
    They work on a parttime basis

No, you WANT them to work on a part time basis.

Still waiting for an answer to this, btw:
    How are going to get someone to sign up for ANY longtern salaried job with large amounts of unpaid leave they year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Virtually every teacher I have ever met has been the dullest, least intellectually curious example of a human being you could ever meet.

A friend of my wife’s husband is a teacher and he is an idiot. Perfectly knowledgeable about GAA or cattle but apart from that he’s an empty vessel. I mentioned Archimedes once and he thought he played for Brazil in the 1982 World Cup.

WTF were you bringing up "archimedes" for

I'm calling bull**** on the whole anecdote. Just doesn't sound believable. And that's before you consider the source: "A friend of my wife's husband" ...?

If you’re interested in topics other than comic book films and cartoons you’ll find yourself chatting about many different things.

I'm calling bull**** on the whole anecdote. Just doesn't sound believable. And that's before you consider the source: "A friend of my wife's husband" ...?

My wife has a friend, that friend is married to an idiot. Hence a friend of my wife’s husband.

My wife has a friend, that friend is married to an idiot. Hence a friend of my wife’s husband.

That would be your wife's friend's husband.

Unless you're a polygamist, your wife's husband is you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    So you don’t give a **** but start a thread on the internet to defend your choice of profession....right....

Make a new account, to start a thread on the internet to defend their profession.

Low tier effort for a troll though.

That would be your wife's friend's husband.

Unless you're a polygamist, your wife's husband is you.

How old are you? I’m assuming you’re not long out of school yourself if you’re resorting to correct people’s grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Ha ha, that backfired on you. Go read it again, then go back to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

JizzBeans wrote: »
    What a silly comment. Weather I "deserve" them or not is not the point. ITS THE JOB. Did you even read my post?

Its whether.

How old are you? I’m assuming you’re not long out of school yourself if you’re resorting to correct people’s grammar.

The irony. :D

Anyway, your statement is bull**** (a couple of indicators) and your wording is wrong.

We're done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

I agree to certain extent. But again, these are flaws in the system, NOT the employees. If your such a hard worker and so concerned then why don't you get elected and change the system?

*you're

As in you're a bit of a disaster of a teacher.

The irony.

Anyway, your statement is bull**** (a couple of indicators) and your wording is wrong.

We're done here.
    "We're done here." Alright, Tex. :rolleyes:

My "statement" was true, whether you like it or not. This same husband of my wife's friend told me they exclusively read The Sun or The Star in the teacher's room in his school.

Whenever I went to parent-teacher meetings for my kids I was never impressed with the teachers I met either. Very much a career that attracts the uninspired and mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of teachers do that thing where they claim it’s a vocation. As in their passion for teaching is so great it almost consumes them. The reality is the vast majority of them are in it for the long holidays, short days, and generous pension. Which is fair enough, but spare us the hackneyed shíte about being in it for the love of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I’ve no issues with teachers.
    We all know what the holidays are and what the pay scale is. We can apply if we want.

Like any job really, there should be strict reviews on performance. It’s too important a role to have wasters cruising in.

A lot of teachers do that thing where they claim it’s a vocation. As in their passion for teaching is so great it almost consumes them. The reality is the vast majority of them are in it for the long holidays, short days, and generous pension. Which is fair enough, but spare us the hackneyed shíte about being in it for the love of it.
    They certainly have a passion for lording it over people. Two people have already tried to correct my grammar, like we're in a classroom. School's out, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whenever I went to parent-teacher meetings for my kids I was never impressed with the teachers I met either. Very much a career that attracts the uninspired and mediocre.

So the common factor in those meetings was either you or your kids, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Teachers are the real heroes. And they don't even wear a cape during daylight hours.

That’s a Norm McDonald line.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

So the common factor in those meetings was either you or your kids, eh?
    Are you slagging my children off? How classless.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

HBC08 wrote: »
    Its whether.

Yawn

Yawn
    They love correcting grammar, like their classroom authority works in the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am an astronaut and have size 15 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

HBC08 wrote: »
    *you're

As in you're a bit of a disaster of a teacher.

It's only boards, chill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Are you slagging my children off? How classless.

‘Classless’...like an unemployed teacher!

I used to be a secondary school teacher myself. Hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

rizzodun wrote: »
    With the way that post is constructed, with it's rambling points leading nowhere, thank **** you don't teach English.

:D

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    ‘Classless’...like an unemployed teacher!

I used to be a secondary school teacher myself. Hated it.
    What kind of newspapers did people read in the teacher's room? As a matter of interest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement