Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts of an unapologetic teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

As i described, typical anti teacher sentiment with zero substance. Only poorly disguised begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Rodin wrote: »
    Hardly a surprise you're single.
    I was always told, "those who can do, those who can't, teach."

An unconvincing cliche which in fact applies more to other professions e.g. salesmen teaching other salesmen how to sell instead of making a pile doing it themselves. School teaching is itself a form of "doing", and like most other professions, the ability ranges between excellent and terrible. Whenever I hear someone claiming that "teacher=failure", that tells me more about that individual than it does about teachers.

JizzBeans wrote: »
    As i described, typical anti teacher sentiment with zero substance. Only poorly disguised begrudgery.

You're a poorly disguised wind-up merchant.

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve no beef with teachers, I’m jealous of the holidays but don't begrudge them the holidays, don’t think they deserve them but that’s the deal they got and best of luck to them with it.

What a silly comment. Weather I "deserve" them or not is not the point. ITS THE JOB. Did you even read my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

storker wrote: »
    An unconvincing cliche which in fact applies more to other professions e.g. salesmen teaching other salesmen how to sell instead of making a pile doing it themselves. School teaching is itself a form of "doing", and like most other professions, the ability ranges between excellent and terrible. Whenever I hear someone claiming that "teacher=failure", that tells me more about that individual than it does about teachers.

Clearly never studied French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Having read the predictable anti-teacher comments stemming from 99problems1 silly teacher post, "Advice:Become a teacher" one thing has become clear to me. Not one of you have a single objective argument to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its always the same sound bites from the usual vessels. Its just so lame.

Let me share.....
    I am a 36yo and I teach religion and geography. I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year. I am not married. Most terms, I work approx at least 18 hours a week, but some times more depending on how many exam classes I have. Most days I finish in the afternoon or else I have a large portion of the morning off. The only work I choose to do over the summer is invigilate exams to collect a nice lump sum. Other than that, the summer is mine to relish as I see fit. Most days I go to cafes for breakfast, morning gym sessions, day trips etc, etc. I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT! I worked hard to get where I am and as the title suggests, I'm not the least bit sorry.

Now, of course this attracts all sorts of judgement. From friendly slagging by family and mates to heated discussions with friends of friends in social settings. But very occasionally, I will meet some barfly or tosser in the smoking room who apparently knows better. He/She will then proceed to explain why teachers are a "joke", like I was missing this information all along. Their rants are usually composed of one or more of the following;

1. "Your a teacher? Ah you have it handy so"
    2. "You lot are always looking for more money, sure your off for the summer ffs wasters"
    3. "You wouldn't last in the private sector let me tell ya, we have to work for a living"
    4. "Automatic wage increase is a joke,you don't deserve it"
    5. "Always f**king going on strike"
    6. "I cant believe my taxes are paying for this bullsh*t"
    7. "Sure ya cant fired, lazy b*stards"

Soooooooooooooo unoriginal.

Yes,
    I am off for the summer, its great. Of course I want more money. Why the F would I want to be in the private sector?? Its awful. Wage increases are the best. Striking is a day off. My tax pays for sh*t too.

I have often made the point that If you want those perks then become a teacher. If you fundamentally disagree with how teaching is conducted in Ireland then make a complaint to the dept. of education/local TD  or get elected and change the system. Otherwise I don't want to hear your dull commoner opinions. However my comebacks are usually always met with "yeah well teachers are a still joke" or some such muttering.

Unless someone can provide a solid, objective reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment, I can only assume the root cause of this agitation is (1.) Jealousy, (2.) Hate their own job and are miserable in it (3.) Not the brightest.

So, that is the perspective of an unapologetic teacher. For those of you who still have a problem with my profession I will leave you with two thoughts:

1. Not my fault you picked an unsatisfying career
    2. I just don't give a Fu*k

I agree with choosing the wrong profession. Anyone could have done it, but they didn't.

What does piss me off is the lack of CPD required, and you can literally get a 2:2 and once you're in you're on the train.

Teachers are rarely if ever fired for underperformance, they have a bs class and teaching methods assessment from time to time, and although there are some brilliant teachers for the most part, there are some absolute wasters who couldn't learn let alone teach.

My brother is a teacher, my mam was a teacher, so I see/saw what it entails, and it ain't all gravy, it's not just teaching the curriculum, and hats off. But I'd like to see a more professional and stringent approach to job retention. If you're not good enough, change profession, same as the rest of us, not just turn up for 6 months a year for 35 years and do nothing but **** other's lives up.

Btw.complaing to the dept does nothing, maintaining the status quo is paramount. The main champions of change should be the teachers, but that'd mean hard work, and who wants to rock the boat they're drinking champs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What a silly comment. Weather I "deserve" them or not is not the point. ITS THE JOB. Did you even read my post?
    *Whether

Also 36 and on 47k a year pre tax without a partner...... Good luck ever owning a property.

It's the yapping from teachers that annoys people
    They've some of the best working conditions and pay per hours worked of any public job.

Yet no sector of the workforce complains more about their pay and conditions.

Farmers
    Nurses
    Luas drivers
    Bus drivers
    Army

Farmers
    Nurses
    Luas drivers
    Bus drivers
    Army

None strike as often as teachers.
    Army aren't allowed to strike to the best of my knowledge and are getting completely shafted because of it.

Beef farmers are getting shafted too and are right to stand up for themselves.

cjmc wrote: »
    You are dead right. However if I was the minister in charge you would be teaching classes for those that wanted them over a part of the summer ,as part of paid grinds or the like, and correcting exams as part of you contract.
    And cameras in the teachers room to stop riding etc !!!

Some good ideas there for sure, but unless you don something about it, its just words.

• Advertisement

Teaching is great in your 20s and 30s but then when you get a bit older and most of your friends are advancing in dynamic careers, meeting interesting people from abroad, developing new perspectives and coming into their prime as leaders, influencers and potentially becoming authorities in certain fields you'll be stuck talking the same old insular ****e to the same old people who do the same thing as you day in day out.

I don't begrudge teachers in the slightest, in fact I pity them slightly since we have to make this decision at such a young age and teaching really has zero room for maneuver.

Each to their own however.

Right....well why don't you share with us something about your high flying dynamic career and the interesting people you met?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Question:
    How much do people think teachers should be paid?
    And what should the holiday scenario be?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Question:
    How much do people think teachers should be paid?
    And what should the holiday scenario be?

About 20euro per hour worked.
    6 weeks paid excl bank hols.

Single as in unmarried.

Whatever, you prove my point. Irrelevant passive aggressive reply with no substance

Whatever, you prove my point. Irrelevant passive aggressive reply with no substance

True. Your aggression was much more overt.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I agree with choosing the wrong profession. Anyone could have done it, but they didn't.

What does piss me off is the lack of CPD required, and you can literally get a 2:2 and once you're in you're on the train.

Teachers are rarely if ever fired for underperformance, they have a bs class and teaching methods assessment from time to time, and although there are some brilliant teachers for the most part, there are some absolute wasters who couldn't learn let alone teach.

My brother is a teacher, my mam was a teacher, so I see/saw what it entails, and it ain't all gravy, it's not just teaching the curriculum, and hats off. But I'd like to see a more professional and stringent approach to job retention. If you're not good enough, change profession, same as the rest of us, not just turn up for 6 months a year for 35 years and do nothing but **** other's lives up.

Btw.complaing to the dept does nothing, maintaining the status quo is paramount. The main champions of change should be the teachers, but that'd mean hard work, and who wants to rock the boat they're drinking champs in.

I agree to certain extent. But again, these are flaws in the system, NOT the employees. If your such a hard worker and so concerned then why don't you get elected and change the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Teachers are always whining about pay. But you never see a shortage of teachers.

Isn’t there a huge shortage especially in technical subjects? More money and easier life elsewhere

Clearly never studied French.

Wrong again. Honours leaving cert French, lived and worked in France. I'm no longer fluent but I can still handle myself pretty well in a conversation, decades later.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    *Whether

Also 36 and on 47k a year pre tax without a partner...... Good luck ever owning a property.

Ah grammar correction, classic "I have no valid point" move.

Thanks but this has nothing to do with owning property, please read post. Refer to reason 3 for anti teacher agitation

Wrong again. Honours leaving cert French, lived and worked in France. I'm no longer fluent but I can still handle myself pretty well in a conversation, decades later.

Must I acutely point out the problem with 'cliche' ?

• Advertisement

None strike as often as teachers.
    Army aren't allowed to strike to the best of my knowledge and are getting completely shafted because of it.

Beef farmers are getting shafted too and are right to stand up for themselves.

Does separate pay scales for new teachers qualify as shafted?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You're a poorly disguised wind-up merchant.

An ability to achieve at least average quality grammar and spelling would make the OP a little more convincing.

Does separate pay scales for new teachers qualify as shafted?

No.
    Teachers voted for them.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Once the teacher shortage crisis is over I predict a big upsurge in education.

looksee wrote: »
    An ability to achieve at least average quality grammar and spelling would make the OP a little more convincing.

Its only boards.ie, im not that concerned.

Must I acutely point out the problem with 'cliche' ?

Not at all, I assumed that was what you'd jumped on so eagerly. Had I been conversing with a French speaker I would have made more of an effort to include it, but you knew what I meant anyway, as I knew you would. Anyway, according to some sources, the accent is optional when written in English.

But that's all just a distraction from the fact that you took a tiny detail of what was written and made a very silly assumption based on it.

And of course, see https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111255283&postcount=50 .

Not at all, I assumed that was what you'd jumped on so eagerly. Had I been conversing with a French speaker I would have made more of an effort to include it, but you knew what I meant anyway, as I knew you would. Anyway, according to some sources, the accent is optional when written in English.

But that's all just a distraction from the fact that you took a tiny detail of what was written and made a very silly assumption based on it.

Your lack of attention to basic grammar led to none other. Put a bit of effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Its only boards.ie, im not that concerned.

You are concerned enough to start a thread with a rambling, aggressive post.

I'm happy for you. Good luck, I hope you continue to be happy in your career. I'm also very glad you are not a teacher of English (which I'm guessing isn't your first language ;)

Lads, im not feeling it here. I have yet to hear one valid reason to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its mostly off point passive aggression.

Laziness and complaining about pay features in all line of work.

I stand by my OP.

• Advertisement

Your lack of attention to basic grammar led to none other. Put a bit of effort in.

Sorry nice try at hiding the poverty of your argument behind grammatical pedantry, but ultimately, and unsurprisingly, unconvincing. Never mind, I'm sure there must be something else you're good at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement