Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts of an unapologetic teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

storker wrote: »
    Sorry nice try at hiding the poverty of your argument behind grammatical pedantry, but ultimately, and unsurprisingly, unconvincing. Never mind, I'm sure there must be something else you're good at.

Plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Looking from the outside in, the pros and cons of teaching:

Pros:
    Holidays
    Having every weekend off
    Good money once you have full hours
    Little threat of losing your job. (I can only recall one teacher ever being removed from the teaching register)
    Extra pay if you want to correct exams
    Relatively easy to qualify as a teacher via Hibernia, etc.
    No early starts

Cons:
    Not a dynamic career, little room for progression so not really a good job for ambitious people
    I'm sure it must be mind-numbing to teach the same stuff year after year
    If you wanted to leave teaching after 10 years, you'd probably be starting off at entry level in another job as I'm not sure if teaching experience translates to other jobs
    Two-tier pay scale (something that exists in almost every part of the public sector but teachers seem to find it particularly egregious)
    Difficulty getting full hours for newly qualified teachers

JizzBeans wrote: »
    Lads, im not feeling it here. I have yet to hear one valid reason to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its mostly off point passive aggression.

Laziness and complaining about pay features in all line of work.

I stand by my OP.

You still get a Kiki out of bland reductive arguments. Longevity wasn't your strong suit on this site, and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ah grammar correction, classic "I have no valid point" move.

Thanks but this has nothing to do with owning property, please read post. Refer to reason 3 for anti teacher agitation

Well, you claim to be a religion teacher, careful of the grammar or you might teach them to spell Catholic with a small c.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus does noone know when they're being trolled anymore?

OP is no more a teacher than Jade Goody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

You still get a Kiki out of bland reductive arguments. Longevity wasn't your strong suit on this site, and never will be.

If you cant make a valid point I understand.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Well, you claim to be a religion teacher, careful of the grammar or you might teach them to spell Catholic with a small c.....

I better get to the burn ward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I better get to the burn ward

Pride is a sin..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What self-respecting 36 year old would sign up with a name like JizzBeans?

The point is the futility of your shrill posturing. Taking preemptive offence and being rather thin-skinned. It failed miserably before, and this is merely your latest calamity.

Before?

• Advertisement

What self-respecting 36 year old would sign up with a name like JizzBeans?

That feels a little personal, what does my username have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rodin wrote: »
    Question:
    How much do people think teachers should be paid?
    And what should the holiday scenario be?

About 20euro per hour worked.
    6 weeks paid excl bank hols.

That doesn't sound all that different to start they get - the only issue being times when you fail to provide work or holiday pay. Your plan doesn't add up to 52 weeks (unless you're suggesting running schools 46 weeks a year, which I'm not entirely sure is a healthy balance for a child, especially in primary)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That doesn't sound all that different to start they get - the only issue being times when you fail to provide work or holiday pay. Your plan doesn't add up to 52 weeks (unless you're suggesting running schools 46 weeks a year, which I'm not entirely sure is a healthy balance for a child, especially in primary)

Unpaid leave for the balance then.
    Should only get paid for what they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

hynesie08 wrote: »
    36 and on 47k a year pre tax without a partner...... Good luck ever owning a property.
    But where is the evidence they don't have a property? And they said they're unmarried - don't know if that means they don't have a partner.

Either way, the above isn't relevant - it's just more of what they're talking about.

Their opening post is very provocative but they're not actually complaining about their job (which I thought was the issue people had with teachers) - they say they love it. And the resentment they predicted has indeed come to pass.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But where is the evidence they don't have a property? And they said they're unmarried - don't know if that means they don't have a partner.

Either way, the above isn't relevant - it's just more of what they're talking about.

Their opening post is very provocative but they're not actually complaining about their job (which I thought was the issue people had with teachers) - they say they love it. And the resentment they predicted has indeed come to pass.

The resentment is about the whinging.
    Teachers have it good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That feels a little personal, what does my username have to do with anything?

Gravitas. Decorum. Respectability.

Your message is lacking all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you fundamentally disagree with how teaching is conducted in Ireland then make a complaint to the dept. of education
    I have komrade. I received a letter in the post last month back to say that my letter caused 8 teachers to get a double tap, and their families billed for the bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Rodin wrote: »
    The resentment is about the whinging.
    Teachers have it good.
    But the OP is saying the job is great!

Gravitas. Decorum. Respectability.

Your message is lacking all of them.

I would appreciate it if you didn't make personal remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

there is no way im wasting my time reading through your original post.

i couldnt care less what pay grade you're on or how many/little hours you 'work' or whether you're loving the job or not.

teachers are just teachers. nothing special. it's just a job like any other, done well by some, f!@ked up by many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Farmers
    Nurses
    Luas drivers
    Bus drivers
    Army

I dont mind them striking, especially nurses. They work hard

I guess what just gets me about teachers striking is they work half weeks and get 3 months holidays and pay is not bad and then have the gall to protest on top of that. not everybody wants to be a teacher no, not everyone can stick it for certain reasons, but recognise when ye have it good like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I agree to certain extent. But again, these are flaws in the system, NOT the employees. If your such a hard worker and so concerned then why don't you get elected and change the system?

The system is indeed the problem, but it's only those in the system that can change it. But nobody in the system wants that. Ok I'm sure some do, but they're a tiny minority.

When a politician tries to change anything it results in a strike (don't get me started on unions).

Getting elected will change nothing, they're part of the bigger system that also needs change but again the players don't want change. I've 3 friend's/acquaintances in politics, one is a TD and in the top 5 in FF. Only interest all 3 have is re-election. They'll say it themselves. I've no interest in an environment like that.

I've zero against teachers, it's an issue that won't change until someone has the balls to really question it. Namely a teacher, or moreso a group of.

Until then, I'll suck up watching my bro start at 9 and finish at 3:30, and have holidays every 6 weeks, and more power to him.

All I'd like to see is more CPD and a system that either improves or drives out the underperformers and allows brighter minds to get in.

BTW fair play for starting a thread and staying actively involved, chapeau!

I would appreciate it if you didn't make personal remarks.

What's personal about your choice of username? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have never slagged any teachers for their choice of career. Teaching is not something I think I would ever be good at just the constant repeating information over and over to try get it to sink in to students I would have no interest in.

As for the pay 47k at 36 so assume you are at it a good while so. Hardly an outrageous high salary or something for people to be jealous over.

I think all the holidays teachers get is what really rubs people up while it does sound nice to have that nice long summer off every year again if it was something that meant that much to me I would of became a teacher.

I am an engineer and on occasion have got people commenting on how I am lucky to have a good lifestyle out of it or to be paid so much. But like when I was in secondary school I picked the career based on it being something I was interested in and that it had good benefits and job prospects. I worked hard in college and as a graduate to get to where I am. There isn’t really that much luck in it anyone can pick it as a college degree and do it as a career the same with teaching.

If you thinking teaching is such an unbelievable career it’s always an option to become one. I wouldn’t see the need to slag anyone for choosing to take it on as a career or go on about how handy a career it is.

You worked hard, to teach geography and religion?

Well done on your achievements, as if you had to work hard to be able to teach children of the digital age about glacial erosion and make-believe, your starting point must have been pretty low.

Good to see that there are still teachers entering the system with little interest in preparing youngsters for a life in the real world.

You absolute wind-up artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Amazing that Troll posts are not as obvious.

JayZeus wrote: »
    You worked hard, to teach geography and religion?

Well done on your achievements, as if you had to work hard to be able to teach children of the digital age about glacial erosion and make-believe, your starting point must have been pretty low.

Good to see that there are still teachers entering the system with little interest in preparing youngsters for a life in the real world.

You absolute wind-up artist.

Now that you say it......although religion isn't about prayers and hymns, it's about understanding the different religions and cultures and to be respectful. I was thought impure thoughts were bad. It's not like that anymore. It's very much preparing people for the real life world, I have clients from UAE, India, China, Israel etc, I had to teach myself what is thought now (although both my bro and mum teach religion which helped).

Im not religious btw, even my family question everything now after being lough derg stalwarts.

Point being, religion as a subject now isn't what it was. And it's very useful in the world, and especially an international corporate world if that's where you end up.

Amazing that Troll posts are not as obvious.

I'm not so sure it's a troll, they tend to start threads and run,.or with very little input (let alone interactive and responsive).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

How many hours per week would you put into prep/planning/extra curriculars over your 18 hours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement