Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone have a floor fitted by Des Kelly?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips D13Exile, especially on shaving the doors down- you were right- they are cheapo hollow core doors so not much to be shaved off them. Think I'll just go ahead and get it taken up altogether and be done with it. Not going to lay the new floor myself as it is part of a larger renovation with a carpenter on site anyway. Im sure I could do it but I couldnt do it as well as they will with no visible joins, cleans edges and lines, etc

Had just been researching underlay -do you have any recommendations for specs or brands? The flooring companies seem to sell a lot of unbranded stuff which probably gives them the highest margins but isnt a good product.

Also Im going to insulate the floor while the old one is up. Plan is to go with 50mm Xtratherm boards- would using these negate the need for underlay altogether or is it still needed?

I always use the green wood fibre boards from B&Q as underlay. Been using them for years and they still do their job of supporting the laminate while keeping the cold down even after 12 years.

As for the xtratherm, that is used between floorboards when the house is built over a void. It wouldn't be used as an underlay for laminate though. I've used it in my attic to insulate the walls and between the joists but it would not be suitable as an underlay, due to its thickness and especially as it'd break down with weight being directly applied to it by furniture and walking on it. Its not a load bearing substance. So that idea is a non starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ op is asking if they still need underlay if they also have insulated floors...
    Op underlay helps with sound insulation but also makes the floor softer to walk on, so yep, I'd still use a good underlay even on an insulated floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

GreeBo wrote: »
    ^ op is asking if they still need underlay if they also have insulated floors...
    Op underlay helps with sound insulation but also makes the floor softer to walk on, so yep, I'd still use a good underlay even on an insulated floor.

My apologies. I misunderstood the OP. Thought he wanted to use the xtratherm as underlay!!. I agree with Greebo, even if your subfloor is insulated, a good quality underlay will have many benefits including making the floor "nicer" to walk on and giving a softer sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah, will still get the underlay so. Product Im thinking of using is this https://www.xtratherm.com/products/xo-uf/ but at the moment I dont know how deep the floor is underneath and whether or not it can take 50mm of insulation then underlay then the laminate floor on top. I know its a concrete floor but have to open it up to see if insulation boards would fit without raising the laminate floor too high.

Advertisement